PDA

View Full Version : The Age of Members

PhishStyx
11-25-2007, 09:23 PM
I am curious to know the age ranges of our membership. I know that the profile allows us to list our membership, but not everyone does.

And lo, let there be a poll!

rabkala
11-25-2007, 10:09 PM
So if not everyone does divulge their age in the public profile, why do you think they will tell you in a poll? That might create an odd dynamic which will give you a scewed result. Wouldn't it just be better to hire ninjas to track down these secretive people and poison or at least publicly humiliate them?

PhishStyx
11-25-2007, 10:24 PM
If members dislike the idea of this thread, then they should feel free to use the report button at the top of my initial post to complain about it.

rabkala
11-25-2007, 11:13 PM
So touchy...

PhishStyx
11-25-2007, 11:15 PM
And feely.

Digital Arcanist
11-26-2007, 12:24 AM
Promise?

If they don't like the thread then don't read it or respond to it. I know, its a revolutionary idea in America today. This philosophy also works on radio, TV, and literature. Pioneers in this field of study have even invented a system of labels to aid people in the decision making process.

This thread is rated M for Marsha Marsha Marsha!

I am 26 and some change! Seems there's awful high number of "fogeys" on the forums.....I got a couple more years till I get my fogey card. What benefits can I look forward to?

PhishStyx
11-26-2007, 12:28 AM
Arthritis, blood pressure pills, mounting bills (mostly them mounting you), crotchety older relatives wanting you to care for them, and the ever increasing sense that you missed something earlier in life (or simply forgot your keys).

Digital Arcanist
11-26-2007, 12:32 AM
I have all those now....well at least I think I have the arthritis!!!

PhishStyx
11-26-2007, 12:35 AM
I forgot to mention the kids. At some point, you're forced by the government to reproduce and take care of these tiny creatures that just won't stop growing. Sure they start small. . . but yeesh! And then they turn on you and eat you, which is called puberty.

Digital Arcanist
11-26-2007, 12:37 AM
I liked boarding school and so will my kids!!! Muawhahahahahaha!!!!

Moritz
11-26-2007, 07:26 AM
I think Farcaster can run a search on this thing and actually come up with an actual result on everyone's age, if they didn't lie on their registration.

PhishStyx
11-26-2007, 12:10 PM

They'll have summers, and Christmas vacations, and Easters, and all sorts of other holidays.

Dimthar
11-26-2007, 12:22 PM

Daughters can get pregnant anywhere in the world.

Digital Arcanist
11-26-2007, 06:23 PM
That's why I have Catholic Church approved chastity belts for my girls.

I believe they are known as localized Iron Maidens!!!

Malruhn
11-26-2007, 09:11 PM
Well, thus far I'm the old man of the crew. Not that I'm surprised.

What were we talking about again? :lol:

Digital Arcanist
11-26-2007, 09:50 PM
Are you having a Senior Moment?

rabkala
11-27-2007, 06:01 PM
If members dislike the idea of this thread, then they should feel free to use the report button at the top of my initial post to complain about it.
The thread has not broken any rules, why would I report it?

If they don't like the thread then don't read it or respond to it. I know, its a revolutionary idea in America today. This philosophy also works on radio, TV, and literature. Pioneers in this field of study have even invented a system of labels to aid people in the decision making process.

I never said anyone had to respond, the sarcasm is just insulting.

Another revolutionary idea is to contribute to threads instead of posting random gibberish to get a higher post count, but some mods don't get that.

I thought the meaning of my post was clear, but apparently not. Perhaps my attempt at humor confused some, because they have an irrational fear of ninjas. What I was saying is, most people that would respond have already put this information out there. Those that don't have it in their profile, probably will not respond. To get good information we would do something along the lines of Moritz's idea.

PhishStyx
11-27-2007, 06:22 PM
The thread has not broken any rules, why would I report it?

You seemed to dislike the thread. I was simply offering you the opportunity to say so in the forum's official manner.

rabkala
11-27-2007, 06:58 PM
While I don't see any great merit in the thread, I neither like nor dislike it. It might get better.

What I don't like: Mayonnaise, cancer, heart disease, diabetes, the smell of rotten eggs, the sound of finger nails on a chalkboard, the feel of old dry newspaper, the color purple (the color, not the movie), rule without representation, war, the sight of a child crying, people who let a little power go to their head, and those who think they are superior for no good reason. There are a few other things, but for the sake of brevity I have omitted them. For a more complete listing, feel free to PM me.

Malruhn
11-27-2007, 07:49 PM
Ah, you don't know how happy I am to see that I'm not the only old fart on here.

Thank you to whomever ponied up the vote for the fogies!! WOOT!

dormcook
11-27-2007, 09:55 PM
I am 44.
I tell my children all the time, I know why old male bears eat there young.
I don't look back at the "good" old days much. There were good days and bad days just like now.
No blood pressue pills, but I should get that checked.
Vision is still good, hearing was never that good and I have been a smart ass my whole life, so no great changes there.

Drohem
11-27-2007, 10:11 PM
Physically I hit 40 this year, but mentally I'm still about 23-years-old.;)

InfoStorm
11-29-2007, 09:26 AM
So far 60% or more people responding at 33 or older (I am, WHERE'S MY WALKER!).

Remember the joy if being an old gamer is the right to day, "I've been playing the game for 30 years, give or take a year." Ammusing to see reactions when that number is greater than the age of some players.

Olothfaern
12-05-2007, 06:59 PM
33, at least I haven't racked up any age penalties yet; although I'm ready for that Int increase, maybe I'll get paid more...

Skunkape
12-06-2007, 06:52 AM
Well, thus far I'm the old man of the crew. Not that I'm surprised.

What were we talking about again? :lol:

I think some other old men have joined you! We have to get our sleep you know and we're much slower to respond to things as well!:D

Oh yeah and as far as blood presure pills are concerned, my doctor kept resisting putting me on the pills, even though I told him my parents both had high blood presure. Kept telling me, cut out salt, which I finally got across to him that I was eating 50% or less of the daily requirement.

Then he wanted me to loose weight, so I dropped weight to the weight he wanted me to be at. Guess what my blood pressure still wouldn't go down. So he finally put me on the pills, and ama-za-zing, my blood pressure went down. Imagine, someone other than the doctor actually knowing what's good for them!;)

dormcook
12-07-2007, 08:11 AM
We are having a good time talking about all of this, but I am afraid it brings us to a darker point. Most pen and paper rpg players are older. The new generation play computer games instead.

I remember when I started the whole thing was so great it was overhelming. I have tried to gently introduce my children to all of this, but there experience with video games has taken a bit of the wow factor away.

I think the demise of dragon magazine and dungeon magazine in hand held form points to the trend.
Gaming has stopped being a home grown thing, and started to be a new system every 5 years to sell new books, but very little content to support those books once they arrive.

Moritz
12-07-2007, 09:38 AM
To add to what Dormcook noted;

I recently started up a new D&D game and my girlfriend has been inducted into the gaming fun. She and I normally play WoW together and she reported that D&D was fun, just really slow. Since she's used to running into an area and laying the smack-down on the monsters of WoW, she sees that it takes far longer to resolve conflict in D&D.

Skunkape
12-07-2007, 09:49 AM
One of the new members to our group has made similar referrences to how online gaming is much faster. He's fairly recent to playing pen & paper style games, so I know where you're at with your girlfriend Moritz.

Xaels Greyshadow
12-08-2007, 01:42 PM
I'm 39 today and I have been playing D&D for around 30 years off and on. I tried WoW for a couple of months, but the luster wore off quickly and I was lucky to have been invited to play in a real D&D game locally. Cheers to the FOG's of D&D, and long live 3.5 Ruleset.

Drohem
12-08-2007, 02:48 PM
Happy Birthday Xaels! You're way past the worst B-days. 25 and 30 are milstones for some reason. After that, it's all downhill as they say ;)

PhishStyx
12-08-2007, 10:39 PM
Congrats Mr. Greyshadow on making it to 39!

ghostwalker
12-09-2007, 11:13 PM
I'm 35 myself, and been playing since I was 16. Still love every minute of it!

On the WoW note, I've never played myself; I prefer pen and paper games over computer games. However, one of my friends dropped off the face of the earth for almost a year because he started playing WoW. It's practically addictive for some people. I imagine it has to do with the pacing and the stunning visuals those types of games have. I don't see the attraction myself. I much prefer interacting with my friends and using my imagination to "see" the action. Also, I don't have the patience to sit through a computer game. After 30 minutes, I start getting bored.

To be honest, though, if I had cut my teeth on computer games instead, I would probably have the opposite opinion. I tend to be fanatically loyal to my pastimes.:)

Moritz
12-10-2007, 11:40 AM
Oh, forgot to note.

Originally, my gaming group went to Neverwinter Nights to get our gaming on, then many of us migrated to WoW. Kept the social thing going cause we played with people we knew. And then when I picked up this girlfriend, she watched us play and wanted to play also. She never video gamed, or even RPG'd. But it's fun to her and also doubles as fun boyfriend/girlfriend stuff to do, plus it's a cheap and entertaining date.

What else can you do all month as much as you like for 15 bucks a head? A single person going to a movie can easily spend 15 bucks for 2 hours of entertainment plus snacks.

boulet
01-01-2008, 08:11 AM
hmmm table top players look like dinosaurs ! and so do I :D

Maybe the younger generation heard the siren song of MMORPG but personally I never got impressed by any digital RPG whatever the media. And I have no technophobia mind you

boulet
01-01-2008, 08:19 AM
So if not everyone does divulge their age in the public profile, why do you think they will tell you in a poll?

at least it's anonymous when in a poll thread... or is it ?

rabkala
01-01-2008, 10:24 AM
anonymous... maybe not. Right now there are probably government agents and right wing conservative groups tracking the movements of this subversive element known as 'gamers'. It is a plot to take over the world. Once they have found all the identities of gamers worldwide, they send e-bombs to them all. The coded messages work into your subconscious and soon they have an army of warriors like the world has never seen. The new age of darkness that follows will pave the way for Cuthulu's arrival... ;)

Okay, maybe it is relatively anonymous.

Mulsiphix
01-01-2008, 12:10 PM
Just wanted to add that I am 26 and my wife is 22. We both left video gaming behind us over a year ago and have turned to pen and paper gaming for establishing real memories with real people.

MortonStromgal
01-18-2008, 11:03 PM
I turn 30 this year, odd time for me on one hand I spend far too much time gaming on the other I spend too little

rabkala
01-18-2008, 11:35 PM
Oooo 30. It is all downhill from there. Soon throwing bones will have nothing to do with dice. ;)

MortonStromgal
01-18-2008, 11:47 PM
Oooo 30. It is all downhill from there. Soon throwing bones will have nothing to do with dice. ;)

Too late, I already talk about the good old days of gaming where systems were crap and the forge didn't exist. We used blank paper for character sheets because copies were expensive and we needed to save our money for jolt.

tesral
01-18-2008, 11:58 PM
Too late, I already talk about the good old days of gaming where systems were crap and the forge didn't exist. We used blank paper for character sheets because copies were expensive and we needed to save our money for jolt.

And we liked it that way.

Mulsiphix
01-19-2008, 01:12 AM
I can't help but wonder what kind of "we liked it that way" changes are going to happen in the next 20 years. What right now is going to be awesome and nostalgic twenty years from now. I hope it isn't the internet :o

GBVenkman
01-19-2008, 06:45 PM
Just wanted to add that I am 26 and my wife is 22. We both left video gaming behind us over a year ago and have turned to pen and paper gaming for establishing real memories with real people.

I did that a few years ago. In less than half the time I would spend gaming I can now whip up an adventure for a good weekend session. I go out side a lot more too...

Mulsiphix
01-19-2008, 07:49 PM
Seriously! Ever since I stopped playing MMO's, RPG's, and FPS's I find I travel outdoors a great deal more. Before I put video games aside my wife was lucky to get me out of the house more than two or three times a week. Working at home has its perks but such addiction can turn even the most outgoing into agoraphobic hermits :rolleyes:

Dravion
01-22-2008, 05:26 PM
I'm 26 right now.....age really don't matter with the game...unless the mentality isn't there.

underdarkshark
01-23-2008, 10:59 AM
im 36 years young. I game when i can. I always will.

rabkala
01-23-2008, 02:02 PM
im 36 years young. I game when i can. I always will.
Good attitude to have! I figure even after I have lost my mind (although this may have already happened) and my body fails me, I will find enjoyment in the game.

Mulsiphix
01-23-2008, 05:16 PM
A sign of a true gamer is that gaming is on their mind even when gaming is no longer an option. I hope to be so lucky when that times comes. I hope bearing that curse will be my honor :rolleyes:

cplmac
02-05-2008, 04:35 PM
I'll be 42 in a few months. As I see the age ranges of the people who have responded, I now know why there are so many well informed people on this site. What a wealth of knowledge to learn from.

nijineko
02-07-2008, 01:30 AM
well well, a group that actually wants to grow up to be fatbeards. ^^ game on!

Mulsiphix
02-07-2008, 03:54 AM
Are you kidding me? Fatbeards teh rock :cool:

tesral
02-07-2008, 10:27 AM
well well, a group that actually wants to grow up to be fatbeards. ^^ game on!

What do you mean, "want to"? Here's a nickle kid, go buy a real game. ;)

Mulsiphix
02-08-2008, 07:52 PM
We've seen your impressive beard tesral. I wonder what somebody wants to be once they grow up to successfully become a fatbeard?

rabkala
02-09-2008, 12:08 AM
Fatbeard is a slang term meant to be an insult. I am surprised any would so willingly embrace it. While I may be a gamer, I am far from the stereotypical fat old loser nerd who lives in his parents basement.

nijineko
02-09-2008, 12:24 AM
hey, no offense to those honorable forebearers who've actually acheived fatbeard status. ^^ i would have a beard, but work makes me shave it off.

Skunkape
02-09-2008, 11:24 AM
Fatbeard is a slang term meant to be an insult. I am surprised any would so willingly embrace it. While I may be a gamer, I am far from the stereotypical fat old loser nerd who lives in his parents basement.

You want to know something pretty funny, or at least I think it's funny, my parents live with me! They're in their 80s, so I moved them into my house. Course, since we live in Florida, I don't have a basement to stick them in but, it's still pretty funny!:D

Oh and I look more like a 30 year old biker than either a fat bear geek looser or even a fat biker! Course, I don't have tatoos, but I do own a Harley that I ride about 4 times a week!:)

tesral
02-09-2008, 12:06 PM

"Geek" used to be an insult too. The best way to blunt an insult is to own the term. So I'm a fatbeard. Yes, I have a beard, unrelated to gaming. Forced inactivity has left me on the rontude side. But I'm a homeowner, married (wife games too) Anything but the stereotypical "loser". Fatbeard, grognard, geek, they all fit. The geeks are running the world and the jocks are running the carwash.

boulet
02-09-2008, 01:08 PM
Just checked with google what "grognard" means to you guys... Funny how English speakers twist French words into new meanings :)

Mulsiphix
02-09-2008, 01:11 PM
Well said tesral. rabkala I was shocked to see you thought so low of fat beards. Being fat, having a beard, and/or living with your parents doesn't make you a loser. Being socially awkward, annoying to be around, never knowing when to shut up or when your embarrassing those around you because of your behavior... these are things stereotypically related to nerds in general. When these traits are present I am as "ewww go away" as the next guy. Generally though, most nerds do not fit this profile.

Thus ends my response to rabkala. The following is my opinion on Stereotypes. Stereotypes are dangerous in my opinion. When embraced as fact or acceptable ideology they are a contagious poison which spreads through ignorant masses resulting in foolish actions; unfounded fear and loathing are never acceptable but seem to be all too common these days. I wear my beard on a fat body proudly. I don't live with my parents but I have in the past. I don't think doing so made me a loser. People should be judged on who they are as a person, not how they appear to those who do not know them. The Holocaust was founded upon stereotypes.

nijineko
02-10-2008, 12:26 AM
Just checked with google what "grognard" means to you guys... Funny how English speakers twist French words into new meanings :)

that's all "english" is. words from other languages, frequently twisted into new meanings, grammatical uses, and conjugations and stuck together with spit, gum, bailing wire, duct tape, and hot glue. real english doesn't resemble anything like what the british, austrailians or americans speak. especially the americans. ^^

don't get me wrong. i like our language. it's flexibility and sheer breadth is a wonderful thing to play with. if rough to learn.

and i've been fat, have had a beard, have lived with both sets of parents (at different times, but not currently! yea!), and am still a pretty allright guy despite it all. fatbeard is losing it's negitive connotations rapidly. much like dork has. try looking up what that originally meant. ;p ^^ yesterdays insult is todays compliment. there's a book at the bookstore i work at that specifically explores that. it's shocking to see how many things that now mean 'cool' or 'acceptable' used to be dire, mortal insults. each generation thinks it's gonna be a rebel.

Mulsiphix
02-10-2008, 12:42 AM
it's shocking to see how many things that now mean 'cool' or 'acceptable' used to be dire, mortal insults. each generation thinks it's gonna be a rebel.Sad but true. Side burns just don't invoke fear the way they used to :(

nijineko
02-10-2008, 03:54 AM
ah, don't get me started about those... i had to shave mine along with the beard for work. the wife was very sad. ^^

tesral
02-10-2008, 04:09 PM
that's all "english" is. words from other languages, frequently twisted into new meanings, grammatical uses, and conjugations and stuck together with spit, gum, bailing wire, duct tape, and hot glue. real english doesn't resemble anything like what the british, austrailians or americans speak. especially the americans. ^^

According to H. Beam Piper, English is the result of Norman men-at-arms trying to get dates with Saxon barmaids.

"English does not borrow from other languages. English follows other languages down dark alleys, hits them on the head and rifles their pockets for loose grammar."

Mulsiphix
02-10-2008, 09:20 PM
According to H. Beam Piper, English is the result of Norman men-at-arms trying to get dates with Saxon barmaids.

"English does not borrow from other languages. English follows other languages down dark alleys, hits them on the head and rifles their pockets for loose grammar."Mr. Piper was a wise man indeed. That has to be the sexiest grammar/language quote I've ever seen in my entire life :p

nijineko
02-11-2008, 04:26 AM
that has got to be the sweetest language quote i've seen in a very very long time!!!

Skunkape
02-11-2008, 06:47 AM
each generation thinks it's gonna be a rebel.

You mean I'm not the first rebel! Damn!:rolleyes:

tesral
02-11-2008, 08:35 AM
You mean I'm not the first rebel! Damn!:rolleyes:

Rebelling was too much work. I worked the system instead.

nijineko
02-11-2008, 10:01 AM
i rebelled until i found a style i was comfortable with. now i stick with that regardless of the waves of opinion and fads.

tesral
02-11-2008, 10:09 AM
i rebelled until i found a style i was comfortable with. now i stick with that regardless of the waves of opinion and fads.

"It's amazing how much the wisdom of age resembles just being too tired." R. A. Heinlein.

Mulsiphix
02-11-2008, 11:03 AM
To love a niche is to love disease. To settle and look no further is to admit defeat before your peers. To ignore the voices of truth and justice is to be human. To be human is to be diseased within a niche. The circle of life is ravenously efficient.

What was the point of all that? I haven't a clue.

Drohem
02-11-2008, 11:50 AM
Hakuna matata!

cplmac
02-11-2008, 12:08 PM
What was the point of all that? I haven't a clue.

I think it loosely hit on the differences between one generation to the next.

tesral
02-11-2008, 02:05 PM
"What profit hath a man of all his labour which he taketh under the sun? One generation passeth away, and another generation cometh: but the earth abideth for ever. The sun also ariseth, and the sun goeth down, and hasteth to his place where he arose. The wind goeth toward the south, and turneth about unto the north; it whirleth about continually, and the wind returneth again according to his circuits. All the rivers run into the sea; yet the sea is not full; unto the place from whence the rivers come, thither they return again. All things are full of labour; man cannot utter it: the eye is not satisfied with seeing, nor the ear filled with hearing. The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun." -- Ecclesiastes 1:1-9 KJV.

Yup, it's been going on for a while here.

Mulsiphix
02-11-2008, 02:26 PM
"Action and reaction, ebb and flow, trial and error, change - this is the rhythm of living. Out of our over-confidence, fear; out of our fear, clearer vision, fresh hope. And out of hope, progress." -- Bruce Barton

tesral
03-11-2008, 02:36 PM
"Where ever you go, there you are." -- Buckaroo Bonzsi

nijineko
03-14-2008, 01:41 AM
aaaaah. you stole mine. ^^

"the true voyage of discovery, starts with having new eyes."

boulet
03-14-2008, 06:47 AM
How did this thread become another "favorite quote" thread ??? :)

mrken
03-14-2008, 10:08 PM
It became a favorite quote list because you got a lot of old fogies on here. lol Old people sometimes forget what they are talking about half way through a sentence. My wife calls it partzimers. lol Not that Iím old or anything.

Which reminds me. Someone asked some grade-schoolers how old one had to be to be old. They thought 30 was old. Then they asked high-schoolers how old one was when they were old, 40 was the consensus. That means one is middle aged around 15 to 20. lol Funny how a little more perspective will change ones perspective. Personally speaking, I think 100 is pretty common to live to. In my opinion, 50 is middle aged. :D

Azaethel
03-15-2008, 03:05 PM
Good to see I've finally found an rpg community that is around (or slightly over) my age...I recently turned 31 (Jan...so not that recent), have a goatee don't quite qualify as fat and also look like a biker (the chopper will do that. Or some say punk, the down mo-hawk will do that I guess) .

The only quote I particular like on the subject is
"to stop learning is to die"
One day I might bother to look up who said that...

tesral
03-16-2008, 08:33 PM
I think 100 is pretty common to live to. In my opinion, 50 is middle aged. :D

I am not middle aged.

mrken
03-16-2008, 09:32 PM
Me too. :)

Farcaster
03-17-2008, 12:23 PM
I recently did a quick breakout of ages of our members for an interview at RPGx.org. This should give you a pretty good idea of the age ranges here :D

rabkala
03-17-2008, 06:23 PM
By the board breakdown, I am past middle aged...
You are only as old as you feel though, so I am about a 915 year old demi lich.

Farcaster
03-17-2008, 06:39 PM
I am about a 915 year old demi lich.
Dude! You're just a skull with gems for eyes? Awesome!

cplmac
03-17-2008, 07:18 PM
By the board breakdown, I am past middle aged...
You are only as old as you feel though, so I am about a 915 year old demi lich.

Dude! You're just a skull with gems for eyes? Awesome!

Watch out for the Rogues/Thieves that want to take the gems.

nijineko
03-22-2008, 11:13 PM
hmmm, that sounds supiciously like that fake demi-lich thingie that we barely managed to smash before it sucked us all into its soul-gems down in that nastily trapped tomb. now we have to track down the real thing in it's fortress in the plane of shadows....

cplmac
03-23-2008, 09:29 AM
hmmm, that sounds supiciously like that fake demi-lich thingie that we barely managed to smash before it sucked us all into its soul-gems down in that nastily trapped tomb. now we have to track down the real thing in it's fortress in the plane of shadows....

If I remember right, isn't a lich restricted to how far away from it's scull thingie it can go? If so, then it should be within that radius.

Also, am old enough to have the Champions of Krynn computer game. In it, you have to first fight the lich, then try to find and destroy the scull before it recovers.

kipling
03-23-2008, 03:12 PM
"English does not borrow from other languages. English follows other languages down dark alleys, hits them on the head and rifles their pockets for loose grammar."

First said, on a Usenet post, by my friend James Nicoll and attributed to many other people since then, some of them famous and dead.

Had he but known the quotation would become so famous, he would have preserved his ownership better.

tesral
03-23-2008, 06:02 PM
First said, on a Usenet post, by my friend James Nicoll and attributed to many other people since then, some of them famous and dead.

Had he but known the quotation would become so famous, he would have preserved his ownership better.

My wife has it on a t-shirt.

nijineko
03-25-2008, 12:22 AM

he could attempt to post it to wikipedia, that might stick. =D especially if attested to by logs and other people, etc.

If I remember right, isn't a lich restricted to how far away from it's scull thingie it can go? If so, then it should be within that radius.

Also, am old enough to have the Champions of Krynn computer game. In it, you have to first fight the lich, then try to find and destroy the scull before it recovers.

they were not the real bones of the demi-lich in question, they were a clever and near-perfect magic item duplicate left behind in it's tomb, somehow granted similar powers to a real demi-lich. complete with fake ghost. we now discover that the real entity in question actually has a fortress in the plane of shadow, or negitive energy, and is apparently still there. did i mention that it has a vile, despicable, and nasty sense of humor? the entire tomb was more-or-less a set-up. we suspect that it's sitting in it's fortress, laughing at our stumbling attempts to get through the place....

Reclaimer
06-22-2008, 04:17 PM
I'm 14, making me, by this pole, the youngest. I'll take my young and naive card now.

Igbutton
06-23-2008, 01:11 AM
I for one am glad I found a place with so many venerable gamers. When they're not pissing and moaning about the newfangled editions they're a treasure trove of amusing stories, experience, and creativity.

Webhead
06-23-2008, 09:22 AM
Count me in the 27-32 age range...27 actually.

I'm not the youngest in my group, but most of my friends/players are older than me (I've been told I'm an "old soul"). My group's ages are currently: 25 (I think), 27, 33, 34, 38 and 39.

mrken
06-23-2008, 10:40 AM
Reclaimer, looks like you are the youngest member here to vote. If my observations are correct, you and I are bookends.

Reclaimer
06-23-2008, 04:19 PM
I believe that means I get a ball-in-a-cup and you get a rockin' chair.

Webhead
06-23-2008, 04:40 PM
I believe that means I get a ball-in-a-cup and you get a rockin' chair.

"Hey, kids of America! It's hand-painted, wooden Ball-in-a-Cup! Who needs constant, electronic, video stimulation when there's Ball-in-a-Cup...Mexico's favorite toy for over 340 years! Toss the ball...catch it in the cup...dump it out of the cup...toss it...and catch it in the cup again! The ball is on a string and attached to the cup, so there's no worry if you don't catch the ball in the cup, and clean-up is as easy as catching a ball in a cup! So why spend another day not catching a ball in a cup, when you could be catching a ball in a cup?"

:D:D:D:D:D

tesral
06-23-2008, 04:46 PM
So why spend another day not catching a ball in a cup, when you could be catching a ball in a cup?"

I think when Billy Mays retires you have a job.

agoraderek
06-24-2008, 01:07 AM
I'm 14, making me, by this pole, the youngest. I'll take my young and naive card now.

god, i feel old all of the sudden...

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-24-2008, 01:53 AM
I've been playing since i was a kid... in the mid '70's. I am now 41.

Thoth-AMon

thomaswhodoubts
06-24-2008, 08:02 AM

Thoth-AMon

That is exactly me, to a T - playing from the blue box in the mid-70's, now 41 and starting a group after a six-year hiatus. Most of the group are slightly older than me - a couple of years at most - but with much less experience - the most experienced played for a couple of years in college in the early 80's - so 'Old School' AD&D (before we even had 'editions') is new.

cplmac
06-25-2008, 03:40 PM
That is exactly me, to a T - playing from the blue box in the mid-70's, now 41 and starting a group after a six-year hiatus. Most of the group are slightly older than me - a couple of years at most - but with much less experience - the most experienced played for a couple of years in college in the early 80's - so 'Old School' AD&D (before we even had 'editions') is new.

Which version will your group be using?

nijineko
06-29-2008, 02:21 PM

Thoth-AMon

i was born the same year d&d "officially" was published. i consider it a sort of step-sibling. ^^

Ghoulsick
08-06-2008, 12:16 PM
I am 31 and tripping out that the majority of players who took the poll are older than me. Crazy man. Can I get a game going with my 420 people? Holler at me 14/88

Goreaddict
03-31-2009, 09:19 PM
17, 18 next month :D I'm one of the youngest in my Shadowrun and one of the most mature unfortunately...In my old D&D group we were all pretty much the same age. I'd love to play more but i live in the middle of no where with no one V_V my usual group is about 6-7 people (depending on who all shows up) and we don't play often work/school/RL interferes a lot.

GoddessGood
04-01-2009, 09:07 AM
Heh, that's a nice looking bell curve we've got going there.

@Goreaddict: Hang in there :) I just recently became not-the-youngest in the group where I'm the GM when someone about your age joined. I'm usually the youngest and only female in the groups I play in (though in the one I GM, I'm fortunate enough to have another female gamer, which is a treat).

mrken
04-01-2009, 09:25 AM
Hey Goddess, there are four other women who play to some degree with the group of gamers we have. At one time I though we might have five but Chi moved to Illinois. And I have sat at tables where I as a guy was in the minority. And when I run games at the local gaming conventions I almost always have female gamers there.

Goreaddict
04-01-2009, 11:01 AM
Yeah, Goddess, we have 2 females, but neither gm. Ones younger than me and the others like 20 something.

Jack of Blades
04-07-2009, 11:30 AM
I'm 23, played for ten years. I started at 13, so I started when the gaming age started to really reach at the peak. But then I'm an oddity.

I prefer P&P to most of the video games these days. Maybe it's just cause I find it harder to depend on people I don't know (my experience, go fig why I won't play MMOs unless I can get a few friends in 'em). Yet, I prefer a good round of Speedball or Scenario to either or. :cool:

tesral
04-07-2009, 11:33 AM
I haven't touched a console in over a year. I have one, I use it to play DVDs. I have had zero interest in playing video games.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-07-2009, 11:36 AM
Still 42 wishing i was 24. Aging is the worst joke in life. You never feel older than 24, except physically. The lifespan of humans is just to short. Heck, once we feel we have life figured out, we're old. I admire those that know what they are to do in life from childhood. I still dont know my lot in life... still going at it blindly, destined to be a JoaT's to the day i transistion.

JoaT: Jack-of-all-Trades.

I wish everyone here long, healthy, and happy lives. May we all meet up in the big gaming room in the sky and play a round of DnD.

Jack of Blades
04-07-2009, 11:41 AM
Still 42 wishing i was 24. Aging is the worst joke in life. You never feel older than 24, except physically. The lifespan of humans is just to short. Heck, once we feel we have life figured out, we're old. I admire those that know what they are to do in life from childhood. I still dont know my lot in life... still going at it blindly, destined to be a JoaT's to the day i transistion.

JoaT: Jack-of-all-Trades.

I wish everyone here long, healthy, and happy lives. May we all meet up in the big gaming room in the sky and play a round of DnD.

"Anyone wanna play D&D for the next bajillion years?"

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-07-2009, 11:43 AM
"Anyone wanna play D&D for the next bajillion years?"
Sign me up, Jack of Blades.

Jack of Blades
04-07-2009, 11:53 AM
Sign me up, Jack of Blades.

And the list grows. :biggrin::D:biggrin:

GoddessGood
04-07-2009, 12:51 PM
Geek Valhalla. *Shakes head and smiles*

TAROT
04-07-2009, 01:49 PM
Oh noes, last month I slipped into the next category.

kirksmithicus
04-07-2009, 02:39 PM
The poll wasn't clear on whether we were supposed to answer with our physical or mental age? :confused: Two entirely different answers.

agoraderek
04-16-2009, 03:42 AM

I will next month, and I'm not digging the second number in that category: 40.

Ugh.

tesral
04-16-2009, 07:44 AM

Getting older beats the alternative.

GoddessGood
04-16-2009, 07:45 AM
Bah. At least you older folks don't get upcharged every time you try to rent a car because you haven't hit 25 yet. 8 more months and my car rental rates get roughly cut in half ... and I've never had an accident or a single ticket!

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-16-2009, 10:27 AM
I remember that when i was younger. I even made the argument about a perfect driving record. Now, the only way to get my rates cheaper is to get married.

GoddessGood
04-16-2009, 10:30 AM
Lol, moving in with my boyfriend jacked my rates up $20 a month. He's a young, unmarried male with a history of tickets going to warrant and several accidents :(. I felt like telling the insurance company, "No, he'll never be allowed to drive my car," just to get the lower rate back.

tesral
04-16-2009, 10:34 AM
I remember that when i was younger. I even made the argument about a perfect driving record. Now, the only way to get my rates cheaper is to get married.

A sucky reason to get married really. :eek:

Lol, moving in with my boyfriend jacked my rates up $20 a month. He's a young, unmarried male with a history of tickets going to warrant and several accidents :(. I felt like telling the insurance company, "No, he'll never be allowed to drive my car," just to get the lower rate back.

You can do that. It's called an exclusion. If he does drive your car it means you are uninsured doing so. I had to put an exclusion on my son for a while because of that. He never drove my car in the first place. He has his own.

spotlight
04-17-2009, 11:06 AM
I had to put an exclusion on my son, also, several years ago. He's now in his thirty's and still has a history of tickets and accidents. Don't expect anything different GoodessGod.
--- Merged from Double Post ---
Great! Now I'll have to strangle my majic user. Can't spell names either!!

cigamnogard
05-22-2009, 05:59 PM
I can't help but wonder what kind of "we liked it that way" changes are going to happen in the next 20 years. What right now is going to be awesome and nostalgic twenty years from now. I hope it isn't the internet :o
Well maybe it is...I imagine that 5.0 might elminate the DM role. The board will be an interactive piece you hook up to the internet and all dice rolls will be random generated #'s that are projected from the board to the ceiling....:cool:

lespapillons
05-22-2009, 09:19 PM
I'm 22, and I wish I could make up for my age by saying, "I was playing since my umbilical cord fell off" but I've only been playing for about 2 weeks.
I've done MMORPGs and e-roleplaying (through Livejournal and instant messengers) but I just started playing DnD. I've wanted to play it since I watched my ex-boyfriend and his friends play it in high school, but never got the chance. On my one year anniversary with my boyfriend, I convinced him to learn DnD with me.
I don't think tabletop RPGs will ever be replaced by electronic games, just like books will never be replaced by TV.

Rook
05-24-2009, 09:54 PM
Wow...seems like a lot of heat for a seemingly innocuous question. I'm 38 btw.

agoraderek
05-25-2009, 03:42 AM
I'm a year older now, how do I change my poll answer?

;)

tesral
05-25-2009, 06:09 AM
I'm a year older now, how do I change my poll answer? ;)

Because yer OLD!

cigamnogard
05-25-2009, 04:42 PM
I am 34.

tesral
05-25-2009, 06:33 PM
I am 34.

Well...yer old to people 17.

cigamnogard
05-25-2009, 07:40 PM
Well...yer old to people 17.

I know - I look young; so, when I say how old I am they always say - well that's not too old....but somehow I know I am:yield:

tesral
05-25-2009, 11:32 PM
I'm a silver haired "geezer" without a wrinkle on my face. It throws people. They don't know what age I am.

templeorder
05-26-2009, 12:15 AM
Cripes i'm 41 years old and still cranking out fresh stories, plots, and adventures. Really, the thing i have the hardest time with is.... what was i talking about again?

tesral
05-26-2009, 01:00 AM
Cripes i'm 41 years old and still cranking out fresh stories, plots, and adventures. Really, the thing i have the hardest time with is.... what was i talking about again?

How you planned to sign everything over to me. :lol:

Age is no limiter to creative effort. I've got another decade on you and I am still writing like a mad man. I just posted another story to my Trek page. I have a good half inch of paper in the last month for my D&D game. I'm having fun and will till they shovel the dirt over me. And then I'll get those angels into a good game.

Frankly, the more experience you have under your belt the better you write.

Ezero
05-26-2009, 01:55 AM
Sheesh, I feel really young here at my nubile 19 years of age.

Surrounded by a bunch of old men, I swear. :rolleyes:

tesral
05-26-2009, 02:40 AM
Sheesh, I feel really young here at my nubile 19 years of age.

Surrounded by a bunch of old men, I swear. :rolleyes:

(Shakes cane) Get off my lawn!! :p

Hey, Farcaster, we need an "old" smiley for us ancient fossils.

Dark Clown
07-08-2009, 12:48 AM
That's hilarious. lol

I'm 29, going on the big 3 O in February of 2010. I told my wife I was going to dress like Batman for a week and then buy myself a motorcycle for my mid-life crisis. I said she could deal with both, or let me buy a motorcycle now and we could avoid the whole messy fat man in a little bat-suit idea. Her choice. lol

tesral
07-08-2009, 02:37 AM
Be glad I'm not your wife. I would want to see you live in a Batman suit for a week.

templeorder
07-08-2009, 09:56 AM
Is this a stretch batman suit, like us old timers are used to, or is it the bullpoop sculpted body armor that the wussy new batman characters wear? The later may be acceptable and studly, while the former (better) may be a scary sight indeed.

The best batman ever:
http://www.theforce.net/fanfilms/nonsw/batman_deadend/index.asp

old school, yo

Harwel
07-08-2009, 10:00 AM
I turn 39 next month, so I voted in the 39-44 bracket because this poll is going to be around a lot longer than I'm going to be the 33-38 bracket. =/

tesral
07-08-2009, 10:00 AM
Is this a stretch batman suit, like us old timers are used to, or is it the bullpoop sculpted body armor that the wussy new batman characters wear? The later may be acceptable and studly, while the former (better) may be a scary sight indeed.

I have a good idea what it looks like.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/01434/old-batman-robin_1434449i.jpg

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
07-08-2009, 10:18 AM
Now that's a funny cartoon.

kantou
07-08-2009, 12:03 PM
all we got to do, is see that in real life ^^

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
07-08-2009, 12:14 PM
I'm sure many of us could play the roles seen on the cartoon. Not me, of course. My Lichdom and magic has kept me youthful and desirable for the ladies. In fact, even after all these 1000's of years, Thoth is still loving the ladies.

cigamnogard
07-08-2009, 04:51 PM
Ah, the ladies....:)

tesral
07-08-2009, 04:54 PM
I'm sure many of us could play the roles seen on the cartoon. Not me, of course. My Lichdom and magic has kept me youthful and desirable for the ladies. In fact, even after all these 1000's of years, Thoth is still loving the ladies.

With what? Ya old bone bag. Never mind when you touch them chances are they drop from the paralyzing effect. It must be dang hard ot romance a woman that is stiff as a board.

Arkhemedes
07-08-2009, 05:48 PM
With what? Ya old bone bag. Never mind when you touch them chances are they drop from the paralyzing effect. It must be dang hard ot romance a woman that is stiff as a board.
Look who's talking Mr. Everything-I-touch-burns-to-a-crisp! :lol:

Dark
07-08-2009, 08:23 PM
Meh I was born old and will die the same so whats the big deal about it? :lol:

tesral
07-08-2009, 08:40 PM
Look who's talking Mr. Everything-I-touch-burns-to-a-crisp!

There are Phoenix girls you know.

Arkhemedes
07-08-2009, 08:55 PM
There are Phoenix girls you know.
I don't suppose they come from Arizona do they?

tesral
07-08-2009, 09:28 PM
Among other places.

Skunkape
07-09-2009, 08:23 AM

Them being paralyzed makes it easier for Thoth! Oh and at least something will be stiff!:laugh:

Dark Clown
07-09-2009, 12:07 PM

I'm gonna have to go with the sculpted body armor for my much-deserved mid-life crisis. lol And even if she does get me the motorcycle, I might have to slap some bat-logo stickers on it and ride the thing dressed as the Dark Knight, just for ultimate fanboy geekdom! lol

Oh, and just to clarify...last year for Halloween I dressed up as a Jedi...she was so embarrassed to walk around with my son and I when we went trick-or-treating. lol He was dressed as Yoda, so it was all good. :biggrin:

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
07-09-2009, 12:14 PM
That's actually very cool, Dark Clown.

Panthro82
07-09-2009, 02:26 PM
I am 27 however I post my age anyways so it would take little effort to find out what I just said :)

WhiteTiger
08-11-2009, 03:09 PM
I don't wanna show my age... nyahh... :tongue1:

I think I'd rather answer with the level of my maturity.. :biggrin:

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
08-11-2009, 03:18 PM
I don't care to show my age, either(shh, i'm 42 but feel 24). It is about maturity s the only rule i follow when playing is not allowing minors to play in my group, not unless their parents are a part of the game and want them to try the game out.

tesral
08-11-2009, 03:55 PM
I don't care to show my age, either(shh, i'm 42 but feel 24). It is about maturity s the only rule i follow when playing is not allowing minors to play in my group, not unless their parents are a part of the game and want them to try the game out.

Dude this thread is as undead as you are.

Agreed, it's about personal maturity.

drewshi
08-13-2009, 07:56 AM
39-44-year-olds -- REPRESENT!

spotlight
08-15-2009, 02:55 PM
HA! No 57-62 year olds yet, but I'm getting close.

tesral
08-15-2009, 07:50 PM

As are we all by and by.

michael
10-09-2009, 09:25 AM
That is a pretty nice Bell curve.
:smash:

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
10-09-2009, 12:54 PM

We are all getting closer... which is unfortunate. I do know of some 57-62 year olds that are interested, but they live too far away to play in our games. Ah well, they know there is always a chair available for them if and when they come and visit California.

traesin
10-10-2009, 04:14 PM
I'm 35. hitting 36 in 4 months. and even though I'm female, I'm not lying! I've earned even one of those years thank you.

Freejack
10-10-2009, 04:42 PM
The problem with such polls is that we do still age. So I'm actually one notch up now :)

Carl

Nord_drache
10-10-2009, 08:50 PM
So . . .
I guess I fall into that 45-50 bracket, (46 going on many eons - :eek: Hey I've gamed 32 years and played just about every race past, future and alternate timelines . . .:cool: )

Ya, I know we old timers can be a rarity these days.

Jim

tesral
05-24-2010, 07:22 PM
More thread necro
http://whoyoucallingaskeptic.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/night-of-the-living-dead.jpg

Law
05-25-2010, 12:51 PM
Why thank you. :D

Just turned 25 in April.

thomaswhodoubts
06-01-2010, 12:58 PM
43 and counting...

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-01-2010, 04:01 PM
ditto

thomaswhodoubts
06-02-2010, 12:18 PM
ditto
I'm as old as a LICH???:eek:

:lol:

tesral
06-02-2010, 12:19 PM
I think he started the death thing young. Why wait?

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-02-2010, 12:47 PM
Physical aging plays no role in a Lich's existence. Appearances can be manipulated with Magick. Best of both worlds!

tesral
06-02-2010, 01:02 PM
I still prefer a clean start every 100 years.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-02-2010, 03:02 PM
So says the immortal chicken. :laugh:

I'm here to tell ya, undeath never gets old, only better with time. http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

tesral
06-02-2010, 03:46 PM
Watch it bony. In Pen and Papaer Games, the "chicken": fries you. :flame:

Arkhemedes
06-02-2010, 05:20 PM
Then there are those of us who only get bigger and badder as they age. :biggrin:

Nord_drache
06-02-2010, 09:47 PM
Then there are those of us who only get bigger and badder as they age. :biggrin:

I never looked at it that way . . .

(So am I just an adult, a wyrm or maybe an elder wyrm . . .)

Jim

cplmac
06-04-2010, 10:29 AM
Guess this old dwarf just has to hope that his kin will carry on the legacy of the clan once he has gone to that big eternal forge. Not that he is looking for that to take place anytime soon, though.