PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from a "newbie"

dormcook
11-25-2007, 07:16 PM
I have been playing for a very long time. I started in 1985. That could be older than most of you.
I play D&D 3.5
I currently run a game using eberron, with some homebrew twists.
I live in Michigan in a small town called Clare.
If you look at a map of Michigan, it looks like a glove or mitten. I would be in the center of the hand.
I play with four other old farts about once a week. My biggest challenge is filling 4 hours of play once a week. I am always scrounging for ideas and advise to do that better.

rabkala
11-25-2007, 09:10 PM
Welcome aboard Dormcook! I myself started in '79, but I consider myself young.;) It's good to have some experienced guys around the boards. Jump in, there's always somebody willing to talk gaming here!

PhishStyx
11-26-2007, 12:55 AM
That could be older than most of you.

Actually, I think you're likely in the upper end but not the oldest member by a long shot.

Digital Arcanist
11-26-2007, 01:26 AM
I thought I smelled Bengay.....

You are only as old as the stories you tell! So what were the dinosaurs like?

PhishStyx
11-26-2007, 01:31 AM
Don't mind him, he's just spamming to catch up to me.

Digital Arcanist
11-26-2007, 01:34 AM
And he is only following me from thread to thread accusing me so that he can maintain his lead....

Have you always played D&D or just playing it now? Why did you choose Eberron and not the Forgotten Realms or make a homebrew setting?

kapnkirk
11-26-2007, 08:28 AM
Old is relative (come to think of it, I've got some old relatives). I started in 80'. Anyhow, welcome aboard!

Moritz
11-26-2007, 08:36 AM
Welcome aboard Dormcook! I myself started in '79, but I consider myself young.;) It's good to have some experienced guys around the boards. Jump in, there's always somebody willing to talk gaming here!

Yeah, I started in 78-79. So hard to remember to get an actual date. Guess the Alzheimer's is kicking in.

dormcook
11-26-2007, 08:56 AM

They were fine. You young players have it great.
I had to walk 10 miles to my game, up hill, both ways.

Digital Arcanist
11-26-2007, 11:25 AM
I did it in the snow!:p

PhishStyx
11-26-2007, 01:37 PM
I not only had to roleplay in the snow, I had to make my dice out of it and write my characters in it. (Yeah, I drank lots of hot chocolate.)

Seriously, I started in '81. I even still have my original red box Basic D&D book in horrible condition, no cover, no box, etc.

Skunkape
11-28-2007, 09:05 AM
If my feeble memory serves, I started sometime back in 76, with the game Melee, but soon found DnD. I had been playing wargames prior to that, usually Panzer Blitz or other Avalon Hill games.

I had to walk uphill, through 5 feet of snow, both ways, fighting off Neanderthals and Velocirpators to get to my friend's house to play!:D

Moritz
11-28-2007, 09:32 AM

These young whipper-snappers really do like picking on us old folks. They just forget that one day they'll be old and bengay covered too.

Oh, and I had a pet T-Rex, he was cool as a watch dino, but when he he ate the family car, it was time to let him off into the wild.

PhishStyx
11-28-2007, 03:00 PM
I had to walk uphill, through 5 feet of snow, both ways, fighting off Neanderthals and Velocirpators to get to my friend's house to play!:D

That sounds like its own adventure!

Drohem
11-28-2007, 04:07 PM
Wow! Thanks guys! I'm young again! Woot!

vic_kidd
11-28-2007, 05:25 PM

In Florida???

PhishStyx
11-28-2007, 10:59 PM
Well, it was fake snow. Does that make a difference?

Skunkape
11-29-2007, 07:52 AM
In Florida???

Dude, I was born in upstate New York!:p

Besides, we ship in snow sometimes!