PDA

View Full Version : New User Ranks

Farcaster
11-21-2007, 05:44 PM
For fun, I added some new user ranks to replace the tired old Junior Member, Senior Member titles. It was once suggested that we add some ranks based on levels in the d20 system. So shall it be written, so shall it be done. You'll now find a new title under your user name in the forums based on your experience (i.e. forum posts). Don't get too hung up on "grinding" post count though, as there may well be even more prestigious titles in store for members who don't just belt out posts, but who contribute with meaningful and useful posts and topics.

PhishStyx
11-21-2007, 11:59 PM
Cool. Do we get to know how many XP we need to reach the next level or is this one of THOSE systems?

Oh also, do we gain bunches of special abilities as we level up (like the ability to learn new Google FU moves or troll slamming)? :cool: :D

Digital Arcanist
11-22-2007, 01:31 AM
At what levels can we take Planar substitution levels?

fmitchell
11-22-2007, 02:04 AM
Cool. Do we get to know how many XP we need to reach the next level or is this one of THOSE systems?

Bah, I'm fine as an "Adventurer". We don't need another Hero. We don't need to know the way home. All we want is ... oh, never mind.

Grinnen Baeritt
11-22-2007, 03:04 AM
Great... I want to multiclass. ;)

Farcaster
11-22-2007, 03:24 AM

The levels work similar to the leveling chart in d20. Level 0 requires at least 1 post, Level 1 requires 10. After that, it increases by the 5 x (Current Level + 1). So,

Level 3 = 35 posts
Level 4 = 55 posts
Level 5 = 80 posts

etc...

Oh also, do we gain bunches of special abilities as we level up (like the ability to learn new Google FU moves or troll slamming)? :cool: :D

Google FU moves? You obviously already have the ability "Confuse Administrator" even at your level. What more could you want? :rolleyes:

Grinnen Baeritt
11-22-2007, 05:58 AM
Great ! A few more posts and I get a feat...

ummm..

Where can these be found?

Do we have to use the offical books, if so which ones...:p

Having thought about this I suspect a few more pointless posts and I will able to get a little smarter...+1 Int at 4th... Yeah!

or perhaps I should stick to Charisma....:o

Moritz
11-22-2007, 07:17 PM
Oh look, I am the Champion!

So, sing along with me

Mo is the Champion, my friend.
Mo keeps on posting, till the end
Mo is the champion,
Mo is the champion...

Fsuphilosophy09
11-24-2007, 06:45 AM
hehe this is awesome...

will you be allowing d20 future source book classes and feats?

Farcaster
11-24-2007, 07:26 AM
Hmm.. I don't know about that, but I was thinking about making an "xp" bar that would show you how far along you were in your level...

Malruhn
11-24-2007, 11:56 PM
I like the idea! And congrats on a great job on the website!!

Fsuphilosophy09
11-25-2007, 06:05 AM
i was just joking but the xp bar is defeintly a GREAT idea

Malruhn
11-26-2007, 10:16 PM
I second the vote for an XP bar!!

PhishStyx
11-26-2007, 11:16 PM
Yeah, I like the XP bar idea.

InfoStorm
11-30-2007, 10:57 AM
I'm waiting to see what other "special titles" he bring out for people who put up meaningful posts. What exactally in a "meaningful post" anyway? I'm pretty sure it isn't Moritz shouting how "he's the champion" :)

Farcaster
11-30-2007, 12:38 PM
I'm pretty sure it isn't Moritz shouting how "he's the champion" :)

LOL. Moritz is going to get a special title of, "Spammer Supreme" ;)

Moritz
11-30-2007, 12:49 PM
I'm pretty sure it isn't Moritz shouting how "he's the champion"

LOL. But I am..

Isn't that meaningful enough? :)

Oh, and yeah, I'm a spammer too. Wasn't it decided that I was a spam-bot?

Malruhn
01-04-2008, 10:29 PM
Hey, I have a really dumb question... does the "Poster Rank" depend upon your post/day number? Sometimes it varies several numbers within on day...

I think it does, but I are interweb illiterated sumtimez.

Mulsiphix
01-04-2008, 11:13 PM
Its been a whole months since this thread slid into the archives. Given any further thought to an XP bar or any other types of enhancements? I know you said in another post today your current priority is enhancing the social network. Was glad to hear it and I hope that is the case as social networking is what has set this website apart from other, in my opinion. Just wondering if, after having a month to mull it around in the ol' noggin if you planned on anymore changes or enhancements to the user rating system.

Farcaster
01-04-2008, 11:40 PM
Yeah, I've been mulling over a different kind of ranking system as well. Instead of basing it on post count, it would be based on quality posts. Basically, if a certain number of people mark a thread as "helpful," "informative," etc, then you'd get a mark. That would then advance your "post" rank instead.

Mulsiphix
01-04-2008, 11:48 PM
I think that would be awesome. That would cut back on those who grind for count alone. Just know that I'm not one of them. I suffer from a manilla run of the mill addiction to forums :p

Mulsiphix
01-05-2008, 12:04 AM
I just thought of something that would be a fatal flaw in that ranking system. Take my banner project page for example. If that thread were to be ranked high I would get a nice high ranking. But what about any users who decide to contribute heavily to the project? Where is their rank increase? The problem with just rating threads is that the original author may have just posted the original thread and never replied. If it goes on to generate nine pages of quality conversation on the topic, then none of those who truly contributed to the thread get any kind of recognition.

People may actually create more threads so they have a better chance at increasing their rank. If you got a small group together you could easily elevate key users to the top five just by posting new threads yourself and rating your friends threads. This approach may actually generate less quality threads and will rarely reward those who contribute the most to a topic. Another example is the massive amount of replies I got to the "What kind of atmosphere to you DM in" and "What version of D&D should I learn to play" threads. Those were some of my first threads and I only replied a couple times. I find members like Digital Arcanist, Moritz, ronpyatt, yourself (Farcaster), fmitchell, Maelstrom, and many other "regulars" reply to threads more often than they create new threads.

Just my 2c

Farcaster
01-05-2008, 01:06 AM
Sorry, I just wasn't using the right terminology. I was referring to posts.

Mulsiphix
01-05-2008, 01:42 AM
Getting users who regularly rate posts would be quite difficult. That is only a few people would probably do it on a regular basis. I think such a rating system would be for show only and not really reflect the actual dedication or status of a member in the community. At least not accurately.

From what I've seen around here very few people grind. The only people right now that I think would really fall into that category are myself and Digital Arcanist. That is we both do quite a bit of off topic posting. The post rank and post count, in my opinion, seem to be doing their job. Just because Tesral has a low post count doesn't mean I haven't noticed how much he has been posting lately. Not to mention most people who visit forums care very little about post counts, ranks, or titles. Such things seem to be the digital bling for those who truly dedicate themselves to a community. In many types of communities a post count is a good representation of how much a member knows about the content of a given forum. However, this community is quite different. When somebody with a low post count posts about their thoughts on the flaws of AD&D 2E or their favorite moments during one of their Forgotten Realms games, there is no question as to how qualified they are to answer or contribute to a given topic.

If you were to add a "quality" rating system I think it should just be another stat and not a full replacement for the Level X (title) system that is currently in place. It seems hard enough to get people to use the Player Registry and Campaign Invitations forum as it is and they are pretty easy to find. A feature like rating a post would probably only be used by those who are familiar with the VBulletin boards and only appreciated by the few who care (the same few who enjoy post counts, poster ranks, and level status).

rabkala
01-05-2008, 02:17 PM
Basically, if a certain number of people mark a thread as "helpful," "informative," etc, then you'd get a mark. That would then advance your "post" rank instead.

That doesn't sound all that reliable of a way to judge quality. Many wouldn't bother to rank every post or even any for that matter. People who are not into the most populous areas, are lucky to even find anyone to talk to about there little mostly unknown systems for months. A lack of activity in those areas would also suggest a lack of willingness to rank posts. New posters will be the least likely to rank posts, and those are the people whom we should be reaching out toward. Then of course, there is the whole 'personality contest' aspect that I don't find appealing. If it is just a personality contest, why not have a swimsuit modeling competition so I can at least make up some points there. ;)

Quality is the hardest to judge. We could flag certain compulsive grinders. These people would then have every post after #10 in a day auto-deleted. That way, they better make their posts count. :eek:

boulet
01-05-2008, 02:51 PM
I'm afraid the quality of posts is so subjective that it would just open a trend for people to flag "helpful" only the posts of their buddies. It would start a popularity contest between members, and generally on internet this sort of things can turn ugly.

As imperfect as may be a rank based on the number of posts, it is quite acceptable IMHO.

tesral
01-05-2008, 09:10 PM
It is also far too easy to over think and place too much importance on the whole idea of "user ranks".

My opinion? Ranks if used should take zero administrator and moderator time. Some people will got nuts and compete over anything. Ergo ranks based on post numbers shouldn't mean anything.

Frankly we have already wasted too much time and effort on the subject. Ask me my post count on any forum I am on. I haven't a clue.

Mulsiphix
01-05-2008, 10:19 PM
On most forums I visit they are in the thousands. Most forums I'm on though I have a lot of involvement in. That is their upkeep, community, etc... Such forums, where post counts are high, are usually ones related to a hobby of mine. I generally create a lot of stuff on my own (product lists, help documents, file collections, etc...) so sharing them among the community helps make my effort worth it to me. I'm generally a hermit in real life right now anyway so it gives me social interaction.

nijineko
01-06-2008, 12:09 AM
i think the xp bar would be cute. but why just use one? you could have a hitpoint bar, and a magic point bar, that way you could have one bar measuring post count, another bar tapping into the ranked posts by members, and another bar for the admin/other-high-mucky-mucks to rank you by. (i suggest the hp bar for post count, the xp bar for admin count, and the mp bar for community count.)

get the best balance of all the ideas, hopefully.

Mulsiphix
01-06-2008, 12:38 AM
Bars would be cute. Such things are more of a novelty than anything else. Something cute and fun and for some something to work at improving. To people other than the poster themselves though such stats are usually overlooked without giving them a second thought.

Jonathan Kwiat
02-20-2008, 05:47 PM
Yes such as demi-AI for the RSS robots. I mean they are alien intelligences. Aren't they? I hear those things use MATH, heuristics, and all sorts of things to aggregate stuff we need. If we can't give them their own seperate titles they just might stop delivering or lose the really good mail. This is why you tip your postal person.

nijineko
02-23-2008, 03:07 AM
would an rss bot consider spam to be a tip? at least if it had keywords that it liked? and do rssbots dream of digital sheep? or just sheep images? or sheep keywords...?

boulet
02-23-2008, 10:13 AM
Well there's been people to support the idea that viral malware can be considered forms of life... Especially viruses with polymorphic / evolutive features :)

[off topic] funny how blade runner's got little in common with the book it's inspired of [/geeky babbling]

nijineko
02-23-2008, 11:25 PM
yeah, the book was very different from what parts i saw of the movie....

Jonathan Kwiat
02-23-2008, 11:49 PM
would an rss bot consider spam to be a tip? at least if it had keywords that it liked? and do rssbots dream of digital sheep? or just sheep images? or sheep keywords...?

Hmmm... if it was a Meta-Aggregator maybe it could take feed-back of some sort.

nijineko
02-24-2008, 12:49 AM
i can't speak for the rest, but i've received nothing but nice emails from monte cook. ^^

tesral
02-24-2008, 02:00 PM
Well there's been people to support the idea that viral malware can be considered forms of life... Especially viruses with polymorphic / evolutive features :)

IMHO they can join smallpox as bugs we don't deal with any more.

rabkala
02-24-2008, 02:22 PM
While I know it is tempting to get a higher user rank, posting viral malware with polymorphic / evolutive features to destroy other posters is probably against the rules of all forums. ;)

Just in case...

boulet
02-24-2008, 02:52 PM
As the Monty Pythons said "You're no fun anymore"

Jonathan Kwiat
02-24-2008, 09:50 PM
I have to say I like the gentleperson's title that said:

"I am rabkla I endorse these dice"

I noticed the title was "City Watch" or something.

That's useful.

D'argos
04-22-2008, 07:15 AM
The levels work similar to the leveling chart in d20. Level 0 requires at least 1 post, Level 1 requires 10. After that, it increases by the 5 x (Current Level + 1). So,

Level 3 = 35 posts
Level 4 = 55 posts
Level 5 = 80 posts

etc...

Google FU moves? You obviously already have the ability "Confuse Administrator" even at your level. What more could you want? :rolleyes:

Ranks are cool. Just don't get over zealous. Unless level 20 you get free hot chocalte with marshmellows. Then I will be posting like crazy !!

RivenNookRavenClaw
06-20-2008, 12:47 AM
Okay...I asked for these ranks too, apparently and now we have them.

They look pretty cool to me so whoever did the coding, I imagine there was more then one, congratulations.

They display very nicely on the screen and all but at the end of the day...

well do they do stuff Farcaster and Friends?

I mean will they slide up and down or only ever upwards?

Come on, you all have to be honest, ;), doesn't anybody ever want to level drain me?

I am really annoying, well I try to be at times, and shouldn't we have some level draining ability for people of note? :biggrin:

nijineko
06-21-2008, 06:28 PM
at least one of the bars will go up and down... the other two only look like upwards so far. ^^

RivenNookRavenClaw
06-22-2008, 02:02 PM
at least one of the bars will go up and down... the other two only look like upwards so far. ^^

I thought I would start a new thread on this question, where is Mulshiphix? Is he still posting?

The reason I add it here is that although I found him extremely irritating, I miss how often he posted and how many threads he started that got everybody else so interested...I wonder what his bars look like right now and what they would like if bars could go up and down...

Jeez...talk about a video game analogy. :biggrin: Yes, yes, you can hit that little "!" icon not just to alert the system admins but also if you are a big fat hater of any of our posts.

I can just imagine myself "OH NO! I am losing MANA...my blue bar is going down (sobbing in my room) I better apologize to all the people I pissed off or I am going to lose a level. :cool:

nijineko
06-26-2008, 12:18 AM
mulsiphix wandered off. working on some other stuff, i think. rl got busy, belike.

agoraderek
06-26-2008, 12:25 AM
I thought I would start a new thread on this question, where is Mulshiphix? Is he still posting?

The reason I add it here is that although I found him extremely irritating, I miss how often he posted and how many threads he started that got everybody else so interested...I wonder what his bars look like right now and what they would like if bars could go up and down...

Jeez...talk about a video game analogy. :biggrin: Yes, yes, you can hit that little "!" icon not just to alert the system admins but also if you are a big fat hater of any of our posts.

I can just imagine myself "OH NO! I am losing MANA...my blue bar is going down (sobbing in my room) I better apologize to all the people I pissed off or I am going to lose a level. :cool:

wow, i wasn't even aware that was that was for. of course, i have skin thicker than most elephants, so easily offended im not, so i'd never avail myself of such an option, but, still, it's odd i posted lord knows how many posts without knowing that...

Nyarlathotep
10-27-2008, 11:10 PM
I have to admit, the whole idea of post ranking is kind of interesting. I'm looking forward to it. That being said, I'm pretty new to the site. Not that you couldn't tell.

:D