PDA

View Full Version : D&D Nostalgia

Moritz
11-21-2007, 09:06 AM
Just for those of us who remember this era and the way things were.

D&D Basic Box (http://bp1.blogger.com/_lpL870wV2A4/Ra1Tmi1EneI/AAAAAAAAASk/ylrF0qF8k-U/s1600-h/ddbox.jpg)

Basic Character Sheet - Morgan Ironwolf (http://bp2.blogger.com/_lpL870wV2A4/Ra1Jsy1EndI/AAAAAAAAASU/rRE3XWJv9f4/s1600-h/morgancharsheet.jpg)

Morgan Ironwolf (http://bp3.blogger.com/_lpL870wV2A4/Ra1JUC1EncI/AAAAAAAAASM/GoHWxajBeiE/s1600-h/morganironwolf.jpg)

I'm still amazed at the simplicity of the game. Guess that's why it's called "Basic".

Grinnen Baeritt
11-21-2007, 11:11 AM
Heh....

See that track at the bottom...Thaco? Doesn't look that complicated, does it....?

Moritz
11-21-2007, 11:20 AM
Oh heck no. Just roll that d20 and see what ya get. Oh, and then look at table 2:21 for initial modifiers, then search out table 8:11 for secondary modifiers. Then head over to table 3:7 for final modifiers.

Then you will have determined whether or not you hit the monster.

Farcaster
11-21-2007, 12:58 PM
Before I switched to 3rd edition, I could do THAC0 computations absolutely effortlessly. Once you get your mind geared for the way it is calculated, it is easy to figure out, even when you start throwing in modifiers.

Digital Arcanist
11-21-2007, 01:07 PM
Gygax 6:67

And the players cried out to Him. "Deliver us from the torments"

He looked upon the wretched masses and smiled. In His voice he said "Let there be 3.0." And it was good, for he was a caring creator who gave his only d20 for our sins.

Moritz
11-21-2007, 04:25 PM
Amen brother Digi Arc

Digital Arcanist
11-21-2007, 07:11 PM
Now you have to remember that the Book of Gygax is in the New Testament where the Dungeon Master is all palsy with the people. The Old Testament Dungeon Master was all fire and vengeance. He used to reanimate the sinners with his only d20 and send them against the other sinners as zombies and skeletons.

fmitchell
11-21-2007, 08:00 PM
I'm still amazed at the simplicity of the game. Guess that's why it's called "Basic".

Pff ... I'm half-tempted to start a The Fantasy Trip (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fantasy_Trip) nostalgia thread. ST, DX, IQ, MA (movement allowance), list of talents/spells/languages, adjusted DX and MA (due to armor), wounds, fatigue, and equipment ... now that's simple.

Digital Arcanist
11-21-2007, 09:15 PM
You want simplicity?....try LARP'ing!!! You have three stats: Ro, Sham, and Bo. If anyone questions your strength then you just lie and say you forgot your sheet at home.

That is one of a handful of reasons why I never like LARP'ing the few times I tried it.

fmitchell
11-22-2007, 01:56 AM
You want simplicity?....try LARP'ing!!! You have three stats: Ro, Sham, and Bo. If anyone questions your strength then you just lie and say you forgot your sheet at home.

That is one of a handful of reasons why I never like LARP'ing the few times I tried it.

Another is: to play pen and paper games you don't need to dress up. Note that I consider leather coats, all-black clothes, and frilly shirts to be "dressing up". If there is a LARP where blue jeans and a "Joss Whedon Is My Master Now" t-shirt is acceptable attire, please enlighten me.

Yet another is: pen and paper games require only minimal movements. After a long work week I can handle rolling dice, moving miniatures and counters, and stuffing pizza in my face. Walking around a field and ACTING! is just too much effort.

rabkala
11-22-2007, 03:42 AM
This thread needs some theme music...

"Boy the way Glen Miller played, songs that made the hit parade, guys like us we had it made, those were the days, and you know where you were then, girls were girls and men were men, mister we could use a man like Herbert Hoover again, didn't need no welfare states everybody pulled his weight, gee our old Lasalle ran great, those were the days!"

Digital Arcanist
11-22-2007, 12:48 PM
I never dressed up while LARP'ing. I played Mind's Eye Theatre and usually wound up wearing jeans and a T-shirt. The only time I ever really dressed up was during a Dark Ages game where I made last-minute cardboard armor for my Italian centurion character. I wore jeans and a T-shirt underneath the armor anyway.

I understand the fatigue at the end of a work week and the desire to sit on one's rump and relax.

Skunkape
11-22-2007, 03:43 PM
Another is: to play pen and paper games you don't need to dress up. Note that I consider leather coats, all-black clothes, and frilly shirts to be "dressing up". If there is a LARP where blue jeans and a "Joss Whedon Is My Master Now" t-shirt is acceptable attire, please enlighten me.

Yet another is: pen and paper games require only minimal movements. After a long work week I can handle rolling dice, moving miniatures and counters, and stuffing pizza in my face. Walking around a field and ACTING! is just too much effort.

You could play a zombie apoc LARP dressed that way, at least until you went from a survivor to a zombe!:D

Oh and if I look at a 2nd edition rule book, I can still do thaco in my head!

InfoStorm
11-23-2007, 02:24 PM
I used to LARP a long time ago. I dressed up . . . in a 3 dollar sport jacket we found a a recycled clothes store. Ah, Remember those days, one of the lowest members in the game, yet I have more ability to influence it than anyone else, though only the game masters knew that.

Malruhn
11-24-2007, 11:17 PM
Gygax 6:67

And the players cried out to Him. "Deliver us from the torments"

He looked upon the wretched masses and smiled. In His voice he said "Let there be 3.0." And it was good, for he was a caring creator who gave his only d20 for our sins.
You BLASPHEMER!!! NEVER say that Gygax had anything to do with 3.X! He is as dead to the game as Kristy Swanson is to Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

And on top of it, he's a total jerk (I've even gamed with him once).

Digital Arcanist
11-25-2007, 12:58 AM
Ah...this is just scripture found in the Book of Gygax.....I never said Gygax is a caring creator.....I've met him as well and he wouldn't even sign my book!!!! If anything Monte Cook is the caring creator type.

Grimwell
11-25-2007, 02:09 PM
Gygax being a jerk surprises me. I met him once and he was 100% awesome.

I forget the exact year, but it was one of the last Gen Con's in Milwaukee. It was Saturday morning and I was hanging out with a few friends and my son waiting for the show to open for the day. My kid was about 4 and I picked up donuts for everyone. As we are sitting there shooting the bull, Gygax comes walking up the street.

--aside--
I have a hobby of getting photos of my kids with notables. I'm not much of an autograph seeker, but I think that it's cool to build my kids a neat photo album of them with famous people (in the gaming industry). It will give them a few free punches on their geek card at the least.
--aside--

So as Gary comes walking up, I greet him and offer him his choice of the donuts in exchange for a photo with my son. Gary smiles and tells me that he just got done with breakfast, but will be happy to take the photo which he quickly does. After he took the photo he decided to hang out with us. One of my friends is a smoker and Gary is too (or was at that point in time) so he lights a cig and just starts shooting the crap with us.

We mostly talked about gaming with our kids and shared stories of what it is/was like to have knee-biters near the gaming table. Because Gary was there, other industry folks who knew him stopped over and we just had a nice chat until the show opened. I didn't learn any uber secrets about gaming, but I don't geek out for people all that often.

All in all, I walked away thinking he was a nice guy. Perhaps you guys look like stalkers? :eek:

Just kidding, anyone with any amount of fame can be a 'jerk' even on their best day. There comes a point where all the attention can be overwhelming, or you are just short on time and can't do what it takes to make someone happy. Or you just let it all go to your head and become a jerk. :p

Digital Arcanist
11-25-2007, 02:14 PM
I went to a show with the sole purpose of seeing him at his booth and when I got there he was talking to some woman and blew everyone off. Of course that was after standing in line for two hours waiting to get his autograph.:mad:

Seems like you got him in a good mood before the show opened.:o

rabkala
11-25-2007, 04:18 PM
I met Gygax at one of my DM's homes. He had just stopped by while we were playing. It wasn't like, 'oh wow look who it is!' but more just another D&D guy. I was young, but he seemed really nice. He talked to us for a few minutes about gaming and then talked to the DM in the other room. He came back in to say "bye".

I think grimwell hit it on the head about famous people sometimes just not having the opportunity to make everyone happy. Sometimes it could even be our expectations that get in the way.

As a young kid I worked at a local hotel where many rock legends stayed before playing at the arena. Some where great, others not so great. I once sat down with Gene Simmons of Kiss (at his request) while he ate a piece of pie and talked. I thought he was awesome. Nearly everyone else that ran into him, thought he was a jerk. Bruce Dickinson of Iron Maiden once got in my face about all sorts of stuff that I had nothing to do with, which had me P.O.ed for days. Then one of the waitresses told me what a great guy he was the next day. Some stars gave me unsolicited autographs, huge tips, or just that warm fuzzy feeling because they were nice to a lowly porter (while others seemed the complete jerk). I am sure not everyone has the same experiences.

Moritz
11-28-2007, 12:46 PM
I met Ringo Star once. Total jerkwad.

kapnkirk
11-28-2007, 06:42 PM
No, say it ain't so! Not Ringo!

I, too, had heard that Gygax was a bit of a jerk. I seem to recall two schools of though with regard to D&D a few years (decades?) back. Those who followed the way of the Gygax, and the new breed who wanted to change things (hence giving birth to the 2nd Edition rules). Rumour had it that Gygax was a bit of a control freek and was forced off of the board at TSR.