PDA

View Full Version : Trying to remember what book it was in...

bitemytail
11-14-2007, 06:21 PM
In 3.5 most books have a sword called the 'fullblade' that requires monkeygrip to be used by any medium size character. Does anyone know what 3.0 books have it? My friend only has 3.0 books and we're having trouble locating it. Thanks!

Digital Arcanist
11-14-2007, 08:57 PM
Any large-sized weapon will require Monkey Grip for a medium-sized creature to wield it.

starfalconkd
11-15-2007, 08:39 AM
Sword and Fist I believe.

rabkala
11-15-2007, 11:17 AM
The fullblade is a huge weapon which is also known as an ogre's greatsword. It is 18 inches longer than a regular greatsword and weighs 23lbs. Damage is 2d8 and crits on 19-20 for x2. It is in the sword and fist and the arms and equipment guide I believe.

Digital Arcanist
11-15-2007, 12:20 PM
Sword and Fist is now Complete Warrior. I checked the Arms and Equipment guide but I may have missed it.

I found the Fullblade on page 70 of Sword and Fist. The weapon is listed as huge which is 2 size categories bigger than medium. The description of Monkey Grip on page 7 of the same text states that it only allows you to use one melee weapon that is one size larger than you in one hand. You character would have to be a large sized character to wield the sword in one-hand or at all with two hands.

rabkala
11-15-2007, 12:31 PM
Many of the players that use it, are also using medium races which have the powerful build racial ability like the Goliath. Some are just horrible cheaters who would believe anything posted on the optimization boards at wizards without checking the facts.

Digital Arcanist
11-15-2007, 12:36 PM
I hear you Rabkala....I was looking for the other feat you would need and I just remembered Races of Stone.

Hulking Hurlers FTW!!!!

Revolt268
11-15-2007, 02:36 PM
It is in the Arms and Equipments Guide on page 6 Table 1-4. The description of the weapon is on page 7 and it states that you need Exotic Weapon Proficiency (fullblade) to weld it as a medium creature. thats to weld it with BOTH hands, not one. Then you can take monkey grip to get it to one. I know some people who have also up sized it one size and went back to using it in two hands. Now as far as i could find thats one of those things that isn't really against the rules but usually your DM has to allow it. I did alot of reseach into in a few years back cause one of my players wanted to do it. If anyone ever seen anything in the books that says it can't be done, I would like to know where cause I couldn't find it and thats one of those question i never remembered to send to wizards for confirmation. Maybe i should go do that now that I'm thinking about it....

bitemytail
11-15-2007, 03:16 PM
It is in the Arms and Equipments Guide on page 6 Table 1-4. The description of the weapon is on page 7 and it states that you need Exotic Weapon Proficiency (fullblade) to weld it as a medium creature. thats to weld it with BOTH hands, not one. Then you can take monkey grip to get it to one. I know some people who have also up sized it one size and went back to using it in two hands. Now as far as i could find thats one of those things that isn't really against the rules but usually your DM has to allow it. I did alot of reseach into in a few years back cause one of my players wanted to do it. If anyone ever seen anything in the books that says it can't be done, I would like to know where cause I couldn't find it and thats one of those question i never remembered to send to wizards for confirmation. Maybe i should go do that now that I'm thinking about it....

That's what I was looking for. Thanks!

starfalconkd
11-16-2007, 07:57 AM
In 3.5 Monkey Grip no longer allows you to wield two handed weapons in one hand. Monkey grip allows you to wield weapons one size larger in the appropriate number of hands at a -2 penalty to hit.

Revolt268
11-16-2007, 08:49 AM
I actually just contacted wizards about that and here is what they said, "Thank you for writing. It is never possible for a Medium sized creature to use a Fullblade that has been increased one size category, even with any combination of feats." As for monkey grip letting you weld a two hander in one hand, I still believe that is does. I went back to read over it this morning and here is what the feat says:

MONKEY GRIP [GENERAL]
You are able to use a larger weapon than other people your size.
Prerequisite: Base attack bonus +1.
Benefit: You can use melee weapons one size category larger than you are with a —2 penalty on the attack roll, but the amount of effort it takes you to use the weapon does not change. For instance a Large longsword (a one-handed weapon for a Large creature) is considered a two-handed weapon for a Medium creature that does not have this feat. For a Medium creature that has this feat, it is still considered a one-handed weapon. You can wield a larger light weapon as a light weapon, or a larger two-handed weapon in two hands. You cannot wield a larger weapon in your off hand, and you cannot use this feat with a double weapon.
Normal: You can use a melee weapon one size category larger than you are with a —2 penalty on the attack roll, and the amount of effort it takes to use the weapon increases. A larger light weapon is considered a one-handed weapon, a larger one-handed weapon is considered a two-handed weapon, and you cannot use a larger two-handed weapon at all.

Now the part that got me in this is that they say "it is still considered a one-handed weapon." They just now say that its a two-hander but now they say its a one-hander. How I basically figure that it works is if you look at the weapon size chart. If you up size a weapon with an attack of a Longsword is 1d8. Now in the description of the feat it says that "You can wield a larger light weapon as a light weapon" So with that said, I would assume that you can use a larger one-handed weapon as a one-handed weapon. So we up the long blade it moves to a 2d6 on the size chart. Now if you go look up the Greatsword it too is a 2d6, so I figure that it still allows you to use the weapon with one-hand if you want. All of this was using a Meduim create. And yeah I do this alot. I like looking at the rules and see what is and isn't possible and getting others opinions about them. Also, wizards mentioned that it also depends on the DM and how they wish to balance the game. If you DM is willing to let you weld that huge sword, then you just have a house rule, but remember to think of the other players as well, it can make it where they lack soemthing and feel useless. And that can just suck the fun out of the game for them. Either way you go at it, just have fun. I just realized that this isn't a Quick Reply, so I'm shuting up now.

DrAwkward
11-16-2007, 10:33 AM
I actually just contacted wizards about that and here is what they said, "Thank you for writing. It is never possible for a Medium sized creature to use a Fullblade that has been increased one size category, even with any combination of feats." As for monkey grip letting you weld a two hander in one hand, I still believe that is does. I went back to read over it this morning and here is what the feat says

But a Goliath with Monkey Grip could, yes?

Digital Arcanist
11-16-2007, 11:19 AM
The rules are hinky in this area. All I know is that the Fullblade is a Huge weapon, therefore no combination of feats will allow a Medium character wield the blade let alone one-handed.

Monkey Grip's sole purpose is to allow you to wield a two-handed weapon one size category larger with one hand. A Weapon Proficiency will allow you to wield a two-handed weapon of the same size category with one-hand.

I can't wait to get my Rules Compendium so I won't have to look through all the books. Stacks of open texts littering the entirety of my desk reminds too much of college.

InfoStorm
11-16-2007, 12:46 PM
Doing this from memory but it comes down to: a Fullblade is a large, large weapon, such that a Large creature could wield it in two hands as a large weapon, but a medium creature coule only wield it if they took it as an exotic weapon. I thought even then they still had a penalty, I'll pull out my books when I get home.

Now, when it comes down to min/maxing... If they are playing golliaths, why are they even bothering with fullblades. The Golliath Warhammer (large version of course) is probably the best two-handed weapon for them to use. Great damage and x4 crit. FEAR THE CRIT!

Digital Arcanist
11-16-2007, 07:57 PM
Then take the feat that moves the crit multiplier up one so you can get a x5 to crits.

rabkala
11-18-2007, 09:17 PM
I had a player show up to a game with a character he made for my ongoing campaign where the players were about level 12. He had a Goliath swashbuckler/fighter prestiged into dervish whom was using two huge great scimitars. He insisted it was legal and offered to show me the thread on the optimization board to prove it. I found at least 8 mistakes/ complete misreads of feats in his character design. I also found several threads which completely picked apart various aspects of his build that he never saw.

But a Goliath with Monkey Grip could, yes?

No, but a good example. The powerful build ability is basically free monkey grip , but doesn't stack with monkey grip. The Goliath is still a medium creature so monkey grip would be a waste for a Goliath.

starfalconkd
11-19-2007, 08:36 AM
You actually had someone bring a character from the char op board to the table? Wow... I would have nuked his character with sadistic glee. While those boards can be amusing to read, I'd almost never let someone bring one of those monstrosities into my game.