PDA

View Full Version : New Dragon and Dungeon Magazines

Digital Arcanist
11-14-2007, 11:42 AM
Has anyone picked up a subscription to the WotC published stuff yet? I saw that their premiere issues are ready for download now and was considering getting a subscription. I guess you get more content now but I was wondering if it is the same caliber or higher as Paizo.

gdmcbride
11-14-2007, 12:11 PM
Has anyone picked up a subscription to the WotC published stuff yet? I saw that their premiere issues are ready for download now and was considering getting a subscription. I guess you get more content now but I was wondering if it is the same caliber or higher as Paizo.

So far its all free. And so far, with a couple of exceptions, it all should be free. Dragon's Demonomicon article about Grazz't and the update to the Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth are both happy exceptions.

I would say that WOTC has missed an opportunity to impress with these first 'issues'.

Gary

Digital Arcanist
11-14-2007, 12:41 PM
Now I remember...its free until 4.0 comes out I think and then you have to sign up and pay.

Are you getting it in an e-mail or a download? I haven't found the link yet.

RealmsDM
11-14-2007, 08:15 PM
So far its all free. And so far, with a couple of exceptions, it all should be free. Dragon's Demonomicon article about Grazz't and the update to the Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth are both happy exceptions.

I would say that WOTC has missed an opportunity to impress with these first 'issues'.

Gary

Free? Really? All the links I clicked told me to sign up for D&D Insider???

Digital Arcanist
11-14-2007, 08:16 PM
Signing up for D&D Insider is how you get Dragon and Dungeon now. I signed up a long time ago but I guess they aren't sending e-mails yet.

gdmcbride
11-15-2007, 01:37 AM
Free? Really? All the links I clicked told me to sign up for D&D Insider???

Yes, but signing up is free.

Gary

starfalconkd
11-15-2007, 08:38 AM
So far, Paizo's magazines were better. They were actual magazines for one thing.

Digital Arcanist
11-15-2007, 12:38 PM
If only someone would put out a serious attempt at an e-Book reader. I designed one for my Senior project and tried to sell it but no one would bite. My design came in TPB size as well as textbook/magazine size.

I'm going to go and cry in the corner now....

RealmsDM
11-15-2007, 08:53 PM
Huh, whaddaya know... it is free.... for now (I actualy read the terms & conditions)

I'm still not happy wit it though. Its no different from the free updates & web enhancements they've always put out. They just stole the good ideas from Paizo & put out an crappy knockoff. And like you guys said, its not even in a magazine format- at least give a .pdf layout!

This sucks.... :(

Digital Arcanist
11-15-2007, 09:29 PM
Well if you don't like the content or the presentation then tell WotC. I already filed my grievances.

If the content doesn't improve by the time I have to pay for it then I won't be subscribing.

RealmsDM
11-16-2007, 12:02 AM
way ahead of you.... I just wish that Pathfinder was a bit cheaper; Paizo had great stuff! And what's stopping them from putting out a Dragon-esque type magazine? Throw in some open gaming content, a few supplemental rules, feats & magic, then round it out with a Order of the Stick comic!:p

Digital Arcanist
11-16-2007, 12:48 AM
Well I think that anything found in 3.X like feats and such will be off-limits to Paizo. They will have to relegate themselves to Adventure paths which is fine by me. They were great at assembling fun plots and good creatures. I fear the days of new classes, ecologies, and spells are over for Paizo. Perhaps a Dragon and Dungeon done by Paizo for a new genre would be fine. Personally I would love to read something for Sci-fi or Superheroes.

"Hey guys, did you read that article in last month's Spandex?" said Bob. Pete replied, "Dude, I'm still trying to finish reading the new adventure in last month's Hideout."

RealmsDM
11-16-2007, 08:11 AM
I guess so, since long running columns like "ecologies" has been in Dragon for years before Paizo took over. But I have faith in them- they could give us fun & interesting things outside of what we've come to expect. And I know that a bunch of talent abandoned WotC for paizo & freelance work a loooooong time ago, so they'll need work;)

Digital Arcanist
11-16-2007, 11:30 AM
So has anyone else picked up the Runelords Adventure Path yet. I grabbed the first two books and I'm enjoying reading them.

gdmcbride
11-19-2007, 03:51 AM
So has anyone else picked up the Runelords Adventure Path yet. I grabbed the first two books and I'm enjoying reading them.

I've got all three. Book 3: Hook Mountain Massacre is "The Hills Have Eyes" for D&D. It is creepy as hell and just wonderful.

So far so good.

Gary

Jazz
11-19-2007, 06:55 AM
Well if you don't like the content or the presentation then tell WotC. I already filed my grievances.

If the content doesn't improve by the time I have to pay for it then I won't be subscribing.

Lately it seems that filing grievances with WotC has become an exercise in futility, according to my experiences. I found a class in the DnD game (Beguiler), which happens to be the ONLY class (even when counting every prestige class in existance) that didn't possess the Craft skill as a class skill (instead it was cross-class). Obviously a mistake, one not corrected in the errata. I tried to inform them of this, to which they responded "No, if there was something wrong, we would've known it already because we are infallible".

Hopefully you'll excuse the paraphrasal.

I've always loved DnD because it was the first PnP anyone ever introduced me to, but lately WotC has seemed to be -in my eyes- more intent on producing quantity than quality. Sometimes I feel like I'm getting nickel-and-dimed to death, and to top it all off, they're killing the Greyhawk setting so that they no longer have to pay royalties to Gary Gygax.

But that's just me ranting and raving, I suppose.