PDA

View Full Version : Serenity RPG

Inquisitor Tremayne
11-12-2007, 08:46 AM
Anyone playing this?

How is it?

PhishStyx
11-12-2007, 12:11 PM
I have played it once at a local convention and I really enjoyed it. We played the published adventure, Waves in the Black by Floyd Wesel, which uses the core characters.

You can find lots of Serenity related info through these folk:
http://cortexsystemrpg.org/index.php?action=forum

Inquisitor Tremayne
11-12-2007, 03:58 PM
Dang! You are the master of links!

Moritz
11-12-2007, 04:53 PM
Serenity, eah....

Now, a Farscape game, that would rock.

PhishStyx
11-12-2007, 05:15 PM
Never had much love for the Muppets in Space element of the show.

Pigs in Space on the other hand. . . !

Inquisitor Tremayne
11-12-2007, 10:04 PM
Didn't they make a Farscape RPG? I might be thinking of Babylon 5.

PhishStyx
11-12-2007, 10:21 PM
They did, yes.

http://www.alderac.com/farscape/

Moritz
11-14-2007, 02:39 PM
Yep, bought Farscape and Stargate SG-1. Totally dig on both shows but I've never played the games even though I own the books. They were just something to buy.

rabkala
11-15-2007, 10:47 AM
I bought Farscape and Stargate myself. I never played a whole game in the settings, but did use a couple things out of the books for my d20 future games. The Serenity tv show did kind of grow on me, but I am not a big fan of the whole wild west feel in space.

Inquisitor Tremayne
11-15-2007, 12:02 PM
I hated the TV show until I saw the movie. I REALLY liked the movie and it made the TV show bearable.

On a possibly related note, I hated and still do hate Buffy the Vampire Slayer TV show. I couldn't deal with the dialog. I just wanted to strangle every character on that show and tell them to shut up! Angel was better. More serious I think, less tongue in cheek.

Rant over.

rabkala
11-23-2007, 10:14 AM
I hated Buffy and Angel, still do! It was like a giant suck fest IMHO. While some of the actresses were rather nice to look at, once the dialog started the show was ruined. I couldn't believe it was so popular amongst people I knew.

Digital Arcanist
11-23-2007, 11:46 AM
I want Willow sooooo badly. Anyway,

I played Stargate and enjoyed it a lot. Unfortunately there are only five books out that really only cover the first couple seasons so you have to be up on your Stargate knowledge if you want to create a current universe.

I'm trying to find the Serenity RPG but have no luck. I need to familiarize myself with the Cortex system so I can beta test the Highlander RPG. I'm supposed to get something from the company soon but I haven't had any definite details given to me yet.

PhishStyx
11-23-2007, 02:52 PM
I hated Buffy and Angel, still do! It was like a giant suck fest IMHO. While some of the actresses were rather nice to look at, once the dialog started the show was ruined. I couldn't believe it was so popular amongst people I knew.

Buffy and Angel are 2 of my all-time favorite shows; however, the Buffy movie, now that sucked (even Joss Whedon hates it).

On the original topic, I'd really like to get into a Serenity game again.

Snuffy
11-26-2007, 11:05 AM
I've seen the Serenity RPG at Barnes & Noble books stores. Might want to check there if you have one close.

PhishStyx
11-26-2007, 12:15 PM
Oops, how'd I miss that.

Noble Knight has copies.

http://www.nobleknight.com/ViewProducts.asp_Q_ProductLineID_E_2137419386_A_Ma nufacturerID_E_2145082997_A_CategoryID_E_12_A_Genr eID_E_

Moritz
12-04-2007, 01:39 PM
I want Willow sooooo badly. Anyway,

I liked Fred on Angel. But only after she went all dark and possessed.

so I can beta test the Highlander RPG.

I'm totally seeing "Paranoia" in this reference. That and a bunch of people screaming "their can be only one" while trying to whack off each other's heads. And that's just the gaming group.

Digital Arcanist
12-04-2007, 07:00 PM
Kneel before my +5 Vorpal plywood sword I spent three weeks sanding to perfection!!!

The problems I see are that if the entire party is composed of Immortals and there can be only one...then wouldn't the opening scene just be a bunch of level 1 characters trying to kill each other?

If some are Watchers then you would just stand by and document the carnage?

So hopefully there are some great classes and some other way to "win" as it were.

Moritz
12-05-2007, 08:13 AM
That's totally what I'm saying. All the players would look at one another and start cutting off heads. It'd be a PvP extravaganza.

Mulsiphix
12-24-2007, 12:52 PM
Buffy was a poor excuse for the original vampire slayer Sonja Blue (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonja_Blue). I did like angel very much though but then again I'm a big fan of David Boreanaz. Has anybody actually played the Farscape RPG game? I am a huge fan of the Farscape universe and TV show. Just not quite sure how well the RPG game was put together. I think the Starship Troopers RPG is a horrible excuse for the original book and Roughneck series. Then again I found the first and second movies to be poor interpretations of the book. The fact that the ST RPG is based on the two films and roughnecks series has a great deal to do with why I'm not a fan.

rabkala
12-25-2007, 04:58 PM
I'm totally seeing "Paranoia" in this reference. That and a bunch of people screaming "their can be only one" while trying to whack off each other's heads. And that's just the gaming group.
That's hilarious, me too. I guess it would be a quick game. Who needs the group when you can just absorb their power!

I have used elements of the Farscape game in my Future games, but never played a whole game in the setting. The books look pretty good on my read through. I never bought the Serenity book, though it might have some good info in it.

Mulsiphix
12-25-2007, 05:07 PM
I was disappointed to find out that the book is only based on the Movie and not the mini-series as well. It does have a lot of good info for it though and several elements of the movie would fit in perfectly in almost any sci-fi campaign. Definitely worth picking up. I just wish there was more art and not so many movie snap shots. Movie or not you can throw in some custom character drawings, item art, etc...

Citadel
01-02-2008, 01:55 PM
I was never trully a fan of any TV based show especially Farscape or Stargate my self, but I find they can come up with on good one once and awhile. The game mechanics is not complicated it's a point by system. To start out with a character that can have flaws I always think is a briliant idea. Lets face it who wants to be perfect, it's your flaws that make you perfect. They also used the same mechanics for Battlestar Gallactica. Which I'm not to sure about, even though I love the show it's designed to be a very dramatic game. I'ld go mad if I had to be serious everyday. So to this I say Serinty is well worth playing.

NerdBird
01-02-2008, 11:15 PM
I was never trully a fan of any TV based show especially Farscape or Stargate my self, but I find they can come up with on good one once and awhile.

My problem is not with the TV shows (I loved Farscape and think that the Stargate shows are fun mind-candy), but with show or book based games.

Too often the games strongly suggest playing characters from the show/movie/book. Whereas I think this limits creativity. On the other hand, who could resist the chance to kill Captain Kirk, even if he was one of your own party? :)

To be serious, I do find that some of these books are worth buying to get ideas and mechanics from.

Mulsiphix
01-03-2008, 12:48 AM
Who wouldn't want to be Q for Star Trek just for a day? I loved him especially in the Voyager series. I wish they would make a Doom RPG based on the novels. Well the universe the novels were based in, not exactly following the paths of the main characters. Best game to Book novels ever :D