PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone play Babylon 5?

PhishStyx
11-11-2007, 03:42 PM
How is it? I don't have the new books, but I really enjoyed the show.

The only problem to me with B5 as a game setting is that it seems like a closed setting, where all the big stuff is already done on camera.

On the other hand, a Serenity looks like it has lots of potential "game-able" stories to tell.

How does the game get around that problem?

shilar
11-12-2007, 02:18 AM
Never even seen the books, but I'd love to give it a swing. Actually I don't think all of the stories for B5 have been told. Although I would probably have to drag the players off the station after a while the universe is just to big to contain all of the little plots and schemes going on.
Between the Psi-corp, the Rangers, Vorlon, Membari,(yeah I know I probably butchered the spelling oh well) and all of the rest. There is still a lot of potential for all of the behind the scenes players. I think I'd play it as a military/espionage setting. lot of fun!

Farcaster
11-12-2007, 12:24 PM
I haven't tried Bab 5, but I'd definitely be hip to playing it. There are a lot of story possibilities that I can see. Yes, we do know the outcome of some of the big events that occurred in the timeframe of the series, but we mostly know the effects at a macro level. If the story was set at the same time as the series, you could still focus in on a smaller part of the story. What happens to an individual planet, community, or ship is not necessarily known, even if the outcome of the overall conflict is. Personally, I'd love to explore the rest of the universe apart from the Babylon station, of which we already know so much about.

Moritz
11-12-2007, 12:33 PM
Personally, I wouldn't see much point in playing this game. Just like season 5 (or what ever the last season was that was placed after the war).

Don't get me wrong, I loved the show, even have it all on DVD. But it's done.

The story is closed and everyone knows the outcome. It's like watching the movie "The Titanic". We know the boat is gonna sink. Plus, B5 was so anti-climatic... Take your toys and go home.. What sort of resolution to a massive galactic war is that? Bah.

Now, on another note. If someone could make a space opera out of it focusing on other aspects of the universe perhaps after the fact? Opening up other avenues of play, now that would rock.