PDA

View Full Version : Saga Rules Bending

Moritz
11-08-2007, 11:36 AM
I was curious, now that you've had a chance to really get into the new Saga Rules. How many loopholes or blaring vague issues have you found? Things that a rules rapist/lawyer could bypass to get away with stuff.

I suspect that the streamlining of the game (as well as with the upcoming 4.0), will lend to the violation of vague points in rules. Are my suspicions correct?

Inquisitor Tremayne
11-09-2007, 09:42 AM
Well, there are a few rules like disarming and what-not that seem near impossible.

The rest is just the usual min/maxing that you can pull off in any game. There are all sorts of combinations of talents, skills and feats that make you pause and go, "Ouch!" But thats typical with most games.

The biggest concern I have is how incomplete the game seems. There is a significant lack of "crunch" in the book and while, as a GM, I do enjoy creating my own, NPCs, creatures and starships, I sure would have like to have more info about all of those.

Its almost as if they were like, we are going to make x amount of more books, just put the rest of the rules in those and not in the core book.

For instance, the starship Challenge Level system is like math to me (I hate Math) so I haven't really run ANY starship encounters and I am waiting for the starship book that comes out next month.

If you go over to WotCs boards you'll find tons of threads picking it apart. But there is a huge difference between how it sounds on paper and how it plays out.

Sorry for ranting a little.

pawsplay
11-10-2007, 02:07 PM
I have it because it's in print, it's pretty good, and it's going to be what people play. It's a nice game. But there's some real skunks under the hood. In addition to being incomplete, a lot of stuff is just unbalanced, and their near religious aversion to +'s has resulted in some silly alien writeups.

Inquisitor Tremayne
11-11-2007, 02:06 PM
I haven't really found anything to be unbalanced and it seems the alien write ups are far more balanced then they ever were in the RCR, especially after the Ultimate Alien Anthology came out.

GBVenkman
12-01-2007, 07:26 PM
The Conversion guide has a good conversion system for Star Ships.

I've been lifting ships from the old starship book and updating as I need it since I'm not waiting that long.

It's just as easy as creating NPCs once you print out the guide. They make the ships have stats like characters.

Inquisitor Tremayne
12-03-2007, 08:04 AM
The Conversion guide has a good conversion system for Star Ships.

I've been lifting ships from the old starship book and updating as I need it since I'm not waiting that long.

It's just as easy as creating NPCs once you print out the guide. They make the ships have stats like characters.

True but there is no formula to determine the actual CL of the ship. That one I haven't figured out yet and there hasn't been any "official" statement on it either.

GBVenkman
12-03-2007, 11:24 PM
True but there is no formula to determine the actual CL of the ship. That one I haven't figured out yet and there hasn't been any "official" statement on it either.

Yeah, that's my one big complaint about the book. They shafted us on that. They also aren't that clear on basic vehicle combat.

Inquisitor Tremayne
12-04-2007, 10:52 AM
Yeah, that's my one big complaint about the book. They shafted us on that. They also aren't that clear on basic vehicle combat.

True. This is the reason I have such high hopes for the Starships of the Galaxy book that comes out in 14 days!

They are saying that it covers all of this stuff AND they are re-introducing the BOSS system from the d6 game.

Sounds pretty awesome to me!

GBVenkman
12-04-2007, 01:11 PM
True. This is the reason I have such high hopes for the Starships of the Galaxy book that comes out in 14 days!

They are saying that it covers all of this stuff AND they are re-introducing the BOSS system from the d6 game.

Sounds pretty awesome to me!

Yeah, I can't wait. What's the BOSS system?

Inquisitor Tremayne
12-04-2007, 01:26 PM
BOSS is the galactic system for monitoring starship transportation. They are the ones responsible for assigning ships their transponder code.

Here is the link:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Bureau_of_Ships_and_Services

Enjoy!

GBVenkman
12-07-2007, 03:52 PM
Ahh, thanks..

Stuff like that can really add to a campaigns backdrop.

Inquisitor Tremayne
12-10-2007, 09:27 AM
Indeed! For WEG d6 Star Wars RPG it really made handling starship travel a lot easier to handle in the game.