PDA

View Full Version : Post-Apocalypse on the East Coast

Vulture
11-05-2007, 01:56 PM
hey i am fairly new to the Post Apocalypse game setting, though i love the genre, my gaming players also like to play "local" games since we know the area, and the game seems more relevent when we have a gun fight at Florida Field (go Gators) then say at LAX. Would Florida have survived an apocalyptic event? whats your take?

Skunkape
11-05-2007, 02:19 PM
Quite a bit depends on what the apocalypse was...

If it was due to a meteor hitting the center of the Pacific, most of the land of Florida would be there, but the tidal wave that hit after the impact has been theorized at pretty much erasing everything else, including all of the vegetation from coast to coast. We don't have high enough land to stop it at any point as it travels across the state.

If it was due to some kind of nuclear war, I'm pretty sure portions of the state would survive because we don't have any active fault lines in the state, so we wouldn't have to worry about such things as volcanoes or massive land destroying earthquakes.

Oh yeah, and while we have the occasional military base and massive population center, they’re pretty isolated, so you’d still have major parts of the state around.

If it was due to some kind of biological plague, well, those kinds of plagues only destroy animal life or plant life, so the land would still be here.

If it was due to some kind of major flood, we’ll we’re kinda back to the meteor strike, except that you wouldn’t have any land above sea if the seas rose too much! You might have the occasional high rise poking through the flood waters, which could make for some really interesting gaming scenarios. Once again, it depends on how much water is added to the seas.

If you really want to make sure you’ve got Florida still around after the apocalypse, just use which ever scenario you want and modify it so that Florida survives. If your players really want to play in their local area, they should be ok if you take some artist license when writing up the game background.

Personally, I’ve run apocalypse scenarios in Florida, from zombies to aliens and each time, the PCs have been able to play in our local area and we’ve had lots of fun!

Vulture
11-05-2007, 02:30 PM
Thanks for the help, im thinking the aftermath of a second amrican civil war

Dimthar
11-05-2007, 08:31 PM
Yankees trying to free the Illegal Aliens? Just kidding ...

Well, with Globalization, you gotta find a way to isolate US from the rest of the world, or does the US take everybody down with it?

A documentary says a Solar Storm can take out almost 100% of our Electricity, we will be able to recover it in 8 years, if we survive the Chaos, Hunger and Wars

PhishStyx
11-05-2007, 11:34 PM
Consider that Planet of the Apes (the original one with Charlton Heston) is a post-apocalyptic 2nd American Civil War movie.

Also I would suggest you consider the range of post-apocalyptic games out there. There's everything from Rifts to Paranoia even to The End, and they're pretty much all worth looking at for at least one reason or another.

Skunkape
11-06-2007, 06:54 AM
Well, with Globalization, you gotta find a way to isolate US from the rest of the world, or does the US take everybody down with it?

Even if you isolate us from the rest of the world, there's a good chance for collapse of the global economy anyways. The US consumes so much of the world's resources, if we collapsed, quite a few other countries would follow suit. Not saying everyone would just because we collapse, but it could start such a domino effect that the entire world economy might go along with us in that same hand basket!

How much it affected the other countries would depend on how self-sufficient they could become!

Fsuphilosophy09
11-07-2007, 10:10 AM
hey i am fairly new to the Post Apocalypse game setting, though i love the genre, my gaming players also like to play "local" games since we know the area, and the game seems more relevent when we have a gun fight at Florida Field (go Gators) then say at LAX. Would Florida have survived an apocalyptic event? whats your take?

too bad my Seminole war band cant come and whoop all your butts j.k the Seminole gaming community is DEAD or at best in hiding

Vulture
11-08-2007, 06:08 AM
lol i'll take that challenge

Fsuphilosophy09
11-08-2007, 10:47 AM
lol i think u missed the gist of my messege there is no gaming war band they are all dead or in hiding wish i did have one itd be awesome to conduct a massive pvp FSU vs UF hehehe

Vulture
11-09-2007, 08:12 AM
Yeah it would

Skunkape
11-13-2007, 08:18 AM
lol i think u missed the gist of my messege there is no gaming war band they are all dead or in hiding wish i did have one itd be awesome to conduct a massive pvp FSU vs UF hehehe

So what you need to do is start wandering around the city and find new warriors! Recruit my fellow Floridian, find those young braves and take them through the rights of passage and form a new war band!:D

Seriously, I can't believe in a college town, there aren't any gamers! I'd go around the the different comic/gaming stores and see if you can post info to find gamers. Any store that I've ever been in has allowed it and if the owner doesn't want you to, don't do business with them!

Fsuphilosophy09
11-13-2007, 09:47 AM
Indeed good idea... that would be a good course of action that i have considered but have been somewhat afraid of.. I will do it though

Skunkape
11-13-2007, 01:46 PM
Indeed good idea... that would be a good course of action that i have considered but have been somewhat afraid of.. I will do it though

One other thing to consider, if you don't want to give the location of your teepee, meet with warrior recruits on neutral ground till you get an idea of whether they are worthy of joining the war band! If you get my drift!:D

Oh and good luck with the search!

Fsuphilosophy09
11-13-2007, 03:54 PM
One other thing to consider, if you don't want to give the location of your teepee, meet with warrior recruits on neutral ground till you get an idea of whether they are worthy of joining the war band! If you get my drift!:D

Oh and good luck with the search!

yea thats actually a great plan Tallahassee is notorious for robbery and shady characters... go ahead mention the football players and fans here gator bastards.. hopefully once i get a group together we can come down there and give you all a whoppin of course we will settle all rules etc well ahead of time so you all cant complain XD j.k

Digital Arcanist
11-13-2007, 06:35 PM
Apparently punctuation has yet to make it to Florida schools.

Fsuphilosophy09
11-13-2007, 08:10 PM
Apparently punctuation has yet to make it to Florida schools.

Why do you think we had such a problem voting?

Digital Arcanist
11-13-2007, 08:21 PM
Quite a bit depends on what the apocalypse was...

If it was due to a meteor hitting the center of the Pacific, most of the land of Florida would be there, but the tidal wave that hit after the impact has been theorized at pretty much erasing everything else, including all of the vegetation from coast to coast. We don't have high enough land to stop it at any point as it travels across the state.

Did you mean Atlantic? The tidal wave resulting from a meteor impact in the center of the Pacific would not wash over the Sierras leaving the center of the country relatively safe as well as the Eastern Seaboard. A meteor on the size that would create such a tidal wave to wash over the country would be on the scale needed to wipe out all life on the planet. Within 6 months all vegetation would be dead as well as the onslaught of an early ice age.

Fsuphilosophy09
11-13-2007, 11:40 PM
Did you mean Atlantic? The tidal wave resulting from a meteor impact in the center of the Pacific would not wash over the Sierras leaving the center of the country relatively safe as well as the Eastern Seaboard. A meteor on the size that would create such a tidal wave to wash over the country would be on the scale needed to wipe out all life on the planet. Within 6 months all vegetation would be dead as well as the onslaught of an early ice age.

but its fiction as such physics is ignored.. he dreams therefore he is

Digital Arcanist
11-13-2007, 11:43 PM
Fiction does not equal fantasy!!!!!!!......especially when you are playing in a realistic setting like America.

PhishStyx
11-13-2007, 11:50 PM
Did you mean Atlantic?

It seemed a mistype to me also.

Skunkape
11-14-2007, 11:51 AM
It seemed a mistype to me also.

Pssfff, Atlantic/Pacific, what's the difference!:D

Yes, I meant the Atlantic, since I wrote that what 2 weeks ago, I have no idea why I even put Pacific in there! Must have been thinking about tsunamis or something along those lines, but I did mean Atlantic!

At least when Yellowstone goes, we have somewhat of a chance of surviving in Florida, like a .00001 %, but it's better than nothing!:D

As I write this, I'm still trying to think why I put Pacific in there, but nothing comes to mind!:confused:

Fsuphilosophy09
11-14-2007, 01:35 PM
Pssfff, Atlantic/Pacific, what's the difference!:D

Yes, I meant the Atlantic, since I wrote that what 2 weeks ago, I have no idea why I even put Pacific in there! Must have been thinking about tsunamis or something along those lines, but I did mean Atlantic!

At least when Yellowstone goes, we have somewhat of a chance of surviving in Florida, like a .00001 %, but it's better than nothing!:D

As I write this, I'm still trying to think why I put Pacific in there, but nothing comes to mind!:confused:

Being a gator fan kills brain cells take [1d20] Intelligence damage:eek::D

Farcaster
11-14-2007, 05:35 PM
For some inspiration on other ways to end the world, consider watching "Mega Disasters (http://www.history.com/minisites/megadisasters/)" on the History channel. They're always presenting dooms day scenarios like massive tidal waves, earth quakes, ice ages, or even just plain ole' running out of oil.

Digital Arcanist
11-14-2007, 07:40 PM
The last one is most probable and to me at least the most frightening. Imagine Dark Angel but instead of no records, think no plastics, fuels, industrial lubricants, commercial lubricants, solvents, and other non-gas related things we take for granted. It will be like be thrown back to the dark ages again.

Fsuphilosophy09
11-14-2007, 08:57 PM
The last one is most probable and to me at least the most frightening. Imagine Dark Angel but instead of no records, think no plastics, fuels, industrial lubricants, commercial lubricants, solvents, and other non-gas related things we take for granted. It will be like be thrown back to the dark ages again.

I think once oil becomes sooo expensive as it dwindles away we will find alternatives i mean lets look....

plastics- every day people are discovering polymers that are completely synthetic im sure that eventually scientists will eb able to develop a plastic alternative....

fuels- considering the current prices of fuel its already evident some of the future ideas e-85 ethanol, biodiesel, grease diesel engines... etc

industrial lubricants- similar to plastics synthetic lubricants are being brought abotu in laboratories and once the need is present im certain scientists will devlop and manufacture them...

commercial lubricants- same as above

solvents- this will be one of the areas that would take time as solvents are a tough and tricky thing to just manufacture or produce through synthesis...

but over all i believe that when the world runs out of oil society will crumble but then come back up as there will be a need for technology and history shows that when there is a need humanity finds a way

Digital Arcanist
11-14-2007, 09:37 PM
Unfortunately no one is looking for alternatives for petroleum fuels. Although E-85 is a great idea in my opinion, it is not feasible due to the demand and the amount of corn/soy needed to meet it.

Most of the "synthetic" polymers you speak of are sooooo expensive and many of the companies researching them are actually dropping the research because its no longer feasible.

Alas, we spend so much money on futile police actions, bureaucracy, and welfare of all sorts. We should be focusing on preventive medicine, HomeLan security, and education.

When I rule the world I will set things right...believe you me!!!!!!

Anyway, back to the topic at hand.....

Phish, Jazz, and I were discussing more apocalyptic causes. I came up with ancient diseases released while clear-cutting the Amazon, laboratory diseases that affect the DNA of different groups of people (the victims might become monsters for your PC's), changes in the dynamic of our planet like magnetic fields flipping, atmospheric changes brought on naturally, and changes in the radiation of our sun. I also added having current bad guys loosing control of their super-weapons and causing catastrophic changes in the Earth's crust, oceans, and air. Apparently Star Trek had an episode about this and I thought I came up with the idea all on my own.

The rest are from the X-files, Outer Limits, and the Twilight Zone.

Digital Arcanist
11-14-2007, 09:41 PM
I forgot to mention the new X Prize competition slated to go in the next year. If anything will save us the X Prize will....

Fsuphilosophy09
11-15-2007, 12:22 AM
introduce a virus if something is goin to kill off the majority of the population ag virus is it it mutates to any attempts at cures or inoculations and you can make it do whatever you want cuz its a big bad virus..

Skunkape
11-15-2007, 06:52 AM
Being a gator fan kills brain cells take [1d20] Intelligence damage:eek::D

Being a Seminole fan must have a similar effect! I'm a Hurricane fan!:p

Fsuphilosophy09
11-15-2007, 10:47 AM
Being a Seminole fan must have a similar effect! I'm a Hurricane fan!:p

o lawdy being a hurricane fan is the worst!!! it deals [1d20+10] intelligence damage :( j.k all friendly jest here

Neal5x5
08-23-2008, 11:46 PM
If you want some background on a post-apocalyptic setting in Florida, do yourself a favor and read Alas, Babylon. It's a nuke survival tale set in Florida. Granted, it was written in the 1960s (?), but the story is very good and you can't get much more specific with the area details. Also, GDW published a Twilight 2K adventure/sourcebook set in Florida called Urban Guerilla that you can get cheap on PDF.

nijineko
08-25-2008, 12:51 AM
and car wars has supplements for the entire east coast, and a few other locations as well. car wars uses the post-nuke scenario. and is lots of fun. ^^

Dimthar
04-04-2009, 10:58 PM
Even if you isolate us from the rest of the world, there's a good chance for collapse of the global economy anyways. The US consumes so much of the world's resources, if we collapsed, quite a few other countries would follow suit. Not saying everyone would just because we collapse, but it could start such a domino effect that the entire world economy might go along with us in that same hand basket!

Found this while looking at past "Posts".

SimonJ
10-07-2010, 08:53 AM
Alas, we spend so much money on futile police actions, bureaucracy, and welfare of all sorts. We should be focusing on preventive medicine, HomeLan security, and education.

When I rule the world I will set things right...believe you me!!!!!!

lol, yeh screw welfare, we need more spending on homeland security XD

(oh yeh, btw, when i read the topic for this all i could think of is fallout)