PDA

View Full Version : I hit the mother load!

Inquisitor Tremayne
11-03-2007, 12:56 PM
So my mom's boyfriend, as much as I want to not like him, is giving me his entire collection of D&D related material.

He stopped playing waaaaay before 3rd edition was ever announced so I imagine I am going to be getting a treasure trove of stuff!

I am pretty stoked!

I'll let you know what I get when I get it. Its a pretty big box of stuff!

Moritz
11-03-2007, 01:33 PM
How to make brownie points with your geek future step son :)

-give him D&D books.

Inquisitor Tremayne
11-03-2007, 01:44 PM
Oh gross! Even thinking about him being my step-dad makes me want to puke!

But I'll take free D&D books from any body!

Does that mean I am a whore for D&D!?

Moritz
11-04-2007, 05:39 AM
Just a little bit.

But you don't have to put on the red light.

Grinnen Baeritt
11-04-2007, 07:04 AM
Oh gross! Even thinking about him being my step-dad makes me want to puke!

But I'll take free D&D books from any body!

Yes.

Either way, bribe or peace offering he is making an effort, if he makes your mum happy then give him a chance...at least that's my advice.;)

Inquisitor Tremayne
11-04-2007, 09:51 AM
Yeah I know. I told her that already too. He's not all that bad, I'm just overly protective.

And they have been together for like 9 years so its not like I didn't see it coming.

Anyway, free D&D stuff!!

Dimthar
11-06-2007, 09:37 PM

Whore is such an awful word, try "Ho" instead.

Now if you get a "Taroka Deck" and some "Vistani Dice" , you should try to start calling him "Papi".

Fsuphilosophy09
11-06-2007, 10:39 PM
Whore is such an awful word, try "Ho" instead.

Now if you get a "Taroka Deck" and some "Vistani Dice" , you should try to start calling him "Papi".

Ay big papi you treat me right yes you do.... :rolls eyes:

PhishStyx
11-06-2007, 10:48 PM
Roxanne, you don't have to put on the red light
Those days are over
You don't have to sell your body to the night
Roxanne, you don't have to wear that dress tonight
Walk the streets for money
You don't care if it's wrong or if it's right

Put on the red light, put on the red light
Put on the red light, oh

I loved you since I knew ya
I wouldn't talk down to ya
I have to tell you just how I feel
I won't share you with another boy
I know my mind is made up
So put away your make up
Told you once I won't tell you again it's a bad way

You don't have to put on the red light

Fsuphilosophy09
11-07-2007, 01:29 AM
wow thats certainly in my top ten best forum posts of all time!!! i wont quote just because its TOO GREAT

Inquisitor Tremayne
11-07-2007, 09:53 AM
That's the reason I love these boards... everyone here has a great way of making you feel like a ho.

Thanks guys!

<that's sarcasm by the way!>

Fsuphilosophy09
11-07-2007, 10:05 AM
lol you know we love you have you picked your street name yet?? j.k

Llwch
11-13-2007, 02:18 AM
So my mom's boyfriend, as much as I want to not like him, is giving me his entire collection of D&D related material.

He stopped playing waaaaay before 3rd edition was ever announced so I imagine I am going to be getting a treasure trove of stuff!

Let us all drool with you - show us a list of what you're getting. :D

Fsuphilosophy09
11-13-2007, 08:09 AM
Indeed... this leaveing it up to my imagination is killing me

Inquisitor Tremayne
11-13-2007, 10:12 AM
I don't know yet. I don't get the box till Thanksgiving.

Its like early Christmas!!!!!!!!!

Digital Arcanist
11-13-2007, 10:53 AM
My father passed down all of his old gaming materials to me as well. About 10 years back I donated them all because no one wanted to play anymore. It was the dawn of the vampire, wolf, and fae.

I took tracing paper and copied all the big fold-out maps for future inspirations as well as xeroxed anything that looked like it might be cool in the future.

I gave away two very large boxes and shed a single tear. I then turned around and found two hundred dollars on the street. I promptly marched down to my gaming store and picked up 3rd edition and some new miniatures to paint. A year or two later, a friend showed up with a box of gaming books and a sad look on his face. Apparently his fiance made him give the life up and I was chosen to receive his gifts.

You must have done something very good recently Inquisitor.

Inquisitor Tremayne
11-13-2007, 11:58 AM
I'm thinking its a combination of my mom purging his stuff from her house and him trying to buy my affection. He is a truck driver so he's never home to game anyway.

So more for me!!!!

Llwch
11-13-2007, 07:03 PM
I'm thinking its a combination of my mom purging his stuff from her house and him trying to buy my affection. He is a truck driver so he's never home to game anyway.

So more for me!!!!

Share some goodies with the rest of us. :D

If you end up with duplicates, and decide to sell anything, plz let me know! ;)

Fsuphilosophy09
11-13-2007, 08:09 PM
Share some goodies with the rest of us. :D

If you end up with duplicates, and decide to sell anything, plz let me know! ;)

or me as most of my books were... sold by my parents when i moved to college :(

Llwch
11-13-2007, 08:35 PM
or me as most of my books were... sold by my parents when i moved to college :(

They sold them on you??? :eek: OMG... That's just... WRONG!

Fsuphilosophy09
11-13-2007, 11:26 PM
They sold them on you??? :eek: OMG... That's just... WRONG!

yea they also sold alot of my video games, old clothes, and books apparently they thought i didnt need it....

Llwch
11-14-2007, 12:27 AM
yea they also sold alot of my video games, old clothes, and books apparently they thought i didnt need it....

Wow. My parents knew I'd go apeshit if they sold or threw out my stuff.

They kept all my AD&D 2nd edition stuff stored in the milk crates I had 'em in when I left college. Everything was exactly as I left it, though I had a little water damage on about 3 of the FOR series from the Forgotten Realms. I'll have to replace those puppies eventually. :(

Digital Arcanist
11-14-2007, 12:33 AM
Yeah my parents were respectful of my junk when I went away to school as well. I did come back to find my little brother's dumbass girlfriend living in my room. She had touched everything I owned and found all of my personal letters and mementos and went through all of my stuff though. She even had the audacity to tell me it was her room when she tried to move my bookshelves and free-hanging shelves around.

thesweet1v2
11-18-2007, 11:22 PM
Or late christmas either way that rocks!

Dimthar
11-21-2007, 10:49 PM
So ... tomorrow is Thanksgiving!

What did we get!? Ravenloft? Al-Qadim? Tales of the Floating Vagabond?

Digital Arcanist
11-21-2007, 11:27 PM
If you got Tales of the Floating Vagabond I'll be on the next plane to fight you for it

Inquisitor Tremayne
11-22-2007, 10:20 PM
Here is the list!

Its all 2nd Edition AD&D

Ravenloft Campaign Setting Boxed Set 1108 (complete as far as I can tell). Good condition.

Dragonlance Campaign Setting Boxed Set 1074 (I know this is complete because I already have it). Good condition.

The Ruins of Myth Drannor Boxed Set 1084 (complete as far as I can tell). Good condition but the boxed is a little beat up.

Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting Boxed Set 1085 (complete). Good condition except the inner box which is falling apart.

Forgotten Realms Adventures 2106. Poor condition. Heavily worn corners.

Planescape monstrous Compendium 2602. Fair condition.

Dungeon magazines #27, 32, 34, 35, 37, 38, 39, 41, 43, 44, 47, 55. Fair to poor condition

Sword and Sorcery Raise the Dead d20 System Near Mint condition

3rd Edition Oriental Adventures Near mint condition

Dungeon Masters Guide 2160. The printing from 1995. Near Mint condition.

Players Handbook 2159. The printing from 1995. Near Mint condition.

(2) Players Handbook 2101. the printing from 1989. One in Good condition the other in fair condition.

Legends and Lore 2013. Poor condition.

The Complete Ranger's Handbook 2136. Good condition.

The Complete Fighter's Handbook 2110. Good condition.

And now for what I consider the jewel of the collection!!!!

The Temple of Elemental Evil 9147 from 1987. Still has teh booklet of maps and I would consider it to be in Good condition but the binding is worn and there is a small crease in teh cover and the covers are faded. It is still awesome though!

All in all, pretty good, pretty good. Now to go through ALL of my books! I can't remember everything I have.

Digital Arcanist
11-22-2007, 10:26 PM
Temple of Elemental Evil?.....you lucky boy!!!!!

Inquisitor Tremayne
11-22-2007, 11:03 PM
OH! And everything kind of smells like mildew.

Hopefully the smell will go away now that they are out of a basement.

Fsuphilosophy09
11-24-2007, 05:28 AM
let em sit out im sure you can get the "old library" smell out of em just by them being out in a more dry area... btw i envy you

Llwch
12-01-2007, 06:27 PM
Dungeon Masters Guide 2160. The printing from 1995. Near Mint condition.

Players Handbook 2159. The printing from 1995. Near Mint condition.

Hmmm... Care to sell either of these beasts? My two copies are getting a bit dog-eared. I tend to keep 1 or 2 as "player copies" (for when I travel to a gaming site - so it can get bashed up, and I care little if it is), and keep 1 set as a "home" set.

This would replace my current "home" set. :)

Lemme know if you're lookin' to sell 'em (doubt you are, but ya never know if ya don't ask, right?). :)

Grimwell
12-01-2007, 08:54 PM
If he's not, I have quite the full set of 2e hardcovers and I'm not planning on using them ever again... we can sort something out.

Grimwell
12-02-2007, 09:14 PM
Llwch messaged interest, and I'm just going to post my list here in case someone sees something they want. I was saving these for my library when I get rich (I have a good number of 1e books too), but am to the point where I don't have the space, know I'll never play 2e again, and doubt I'll have a gaming library in any home I own. :rolleyes:

So here is the list. ;)

Players Option: Combat & Tactics. It's in very good condition. I didn't sign the inside cover to mark it as mine and the spine is solid. No dog ears on the pages, and no writing anywhere inside. The cover is marred some, as it is one of the books I read a lot, but never used in a game (darn players resisting my technical obsessions). Still in the sort of shape that a person would want for private reading.
The Tome of Magic. This one was used extensively. In almost every campaign I ran or played in since it came out. The spine is loose, and the pages near the back cover (last 3 or so) are starting to come off the binding. This one is not for showing off behind glass, it's for throwing on the table and letting people use it. No dog ears, but it's got my name inside the cover. Worn, but not dead yet by any stretch.
Monstrous Manual. Almost 'like new' with the only signs of use being on the front and back cover. They are white, so there are some spots of discoloration from use if you inspect them in detail. The interior is like new. You could put this behind glass.
Players Handbook Second Printing (1995 with the new cover). It's got my name in it, and I just found a few pages that do have dog ears (the accidental ones). Also in very good condition. The pages and binding still like each other a lot and it's in the sort of shape where use with care will keep it around for a long while. Don't let the guy who spills his soda near it.
Dungeon Masters Guide Second Printing (1995 with the new cover). It does not have my name, but thumbing through it I found one page where someone got excited with a pen and there are three lines that don't interfere with the reading, but they are there. Also, the last pages are wrinkled some as if the paper got mashed and then straightened. I don't remember what happened there, but it did. The binding and pages are in solid condition and its also one to protect and keep it going for quite a long time despite the few flaws.
Dungeon Master's Options: High Level Campaigns. Another well kept book. The only damage is to the outside, though the corners took a few more hits than the others in similar shape. The inside is great and the binding/pages are very happy in their current situation.
Forgotten Realms Adventures. Another well worn, but loved book in it's time. So more like the Tome of Magic than the others in my collection. The vast majority of the wear is on the outside, and the spine is loose, but the interior is in great shape. The pages are in good shape and for someone who wants to use the book and not preserve it, it's a win.
Dungeon Masters Guide. The original one before the issue of the 1995 series. Considering the age and the use it's in better shape than I anticipated. The pages are all there and in good shape so reading it is no problem, and it's not so worn that you have to hide it from friends at the table. It's not a showpiece and never will be, but it is easily going to last in the hands of someone who cares.
Players Handbook. Also from the original run of the books. This is the most worn book in my collection. Everything from pages 5 - 254 are not attached to the binding. The cover is beaten and bruised, and taped with masking tape at the binding to keep things going. I remember doing that! The pages are all there, and can be read easily, but there are a few stains from drink and use. This one can be thrown to even the most sloppy of friends, because it's not there to be treasured, just to be used.That's the list. I remember having more of the Players Options books, but they may still be packed and in storage (I moved to an apartment until I could get a house). Even if nobody ends up wanting them, it was fun to dig them up! I found lots of things I forgot that I had (the 2e Ravenloft box, Mystarra, etc.) and got to look at my old 1e collection too! Good times and memories.

Saving them for my kids though... yeah that's not relevant. :)

Inquisitor Tremayne
12-03-2007, 07:57 AM
Sorry but the collector in me won't let go. For now I will be holding onto everything.

and I am hoping someday to have a library as well but I plan on including my RPG collection in it!