PDA

View Full Version : Party of Morons

starfalconkd
10-29-2007, 08:22 AM
Has anyone looked over the characters for worldwide D&D game day?
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/4dnd/gameday
As a DM I'd be concerned about the survivability of a party whose highest Int is a 10 and whose sorcerer and cleric have a spellcasting attribute of 14. Who designed these guys?

InfoStorm
10-29-2007, 12:50 PM
They have GOT to be not listing all of the feats, and I agree that they were poorly made.

Fighter: does +6 damage with a Dwarven Waraxe. NOT listing Weapon focus or specialization in the feats, but appearently present.

Sorcerer: Spent Most of her points on Con, with a race that is supposed to be weak on CON. Character has point blank and precise shot, and doesn't have a ranged weapon, just the ranged spells. It's an ELF, where the BOW.

Cleric: Stronger than wise. I can see the Cha only a 10 with it being a dwarf, but still. . .

Fighter/Rogue: The one I'd play, only one deciently setup in any way. STR could be better, but it's a halfling, supposed to be lower STR. HOWEVER, only 5 weapons all of which are meant to be thrown. I'd be selling a masterwork axe for some swords, or a spear, or something else.

Paladin: all messed up. a Dwarf with a con of 12? a CHA of 14 yet a Wisdom of 10. (no spells for him EVER). A greatsword instead of a greataxe... not very dwarf like.

Summary: two dwarved and only 1 Dwarf-ized human. The game must be some dwarf related setting, or had better be.

That's my rant.

Farcaster
10-29-2007, 02:25 PM
It looks like they created these characters as one offs with not much thought into their future progression. Based on the stats I'm seeing, they went more for the immediate wins to make the character's more survivable. In their defense on the dwarven paladin, that isn't a bad build considering the paladin only needs a +4 enhancement item to take care of his wisdom and be able to cast all his spells.

starfalconkd
10-30-2007, 08:03 AM
My complaint about the intelligence is a simple thought: if role played correctly, none of these characters could come up with a clever plan. They are all designed to charge in and smash the bad guys. Their entire survivability is based on their brute strength and hit point totals. Why not just play an orc horde? If they wanted to give people a true D&D experience they should have used a fighter, a rogue, a wizard, a cleric, and one other (paladin maybe if that went with the idea). I understand the want to replace the wizard with the sorcerer to simplify options, but then they should have made the sorcerer the smart one. And why would you ever play a spellcaster without one of his best numbers being his spellcasting attribute? I could understand having one such person in the party, but two?

Farcaster
10-30-2007, 11:57 AM
The average commoner would have an intelligence of somewhere around 9. 10 is a cut above the average. Not much of a cut, but a bit. Someone of even average intelligence is capable of plotting and scheming with the best of them. Hell, look to our politicians, and I'm sure you'll find that they aren't the smartest bunch. But, they're more than capable of conniving and subversion.

The group also has a couple of high wisdom characters, who can help guide the party using their hightened "common sense, perception, and intuition."

I do agree though that it is a bit unusual to find a group of adventurers where the highest intelligence to be found among them is that low. But, were they an orc horde, they'd be averaging an 8 intelligence and an abysmal 7 wisdom! Plus, they'd smell a whole lot worse...

:cool:

Moritz
10-30-2007, 12:48 PM
Hack and Slash baby, Hack and Slash!

DrAwkward
10-30-2007, 03:15 PM
The average commoner would have an intelligence of somewhere around 9. 10 is a cut above the average. Not much of a cut, but a bit. Someone of even average intelligence is capable of plotting and scheming with the best of them.

The average stat for a human commoner is 10.5 (this is why they get three 10's and three 11's)

So this party is a smidge below average as far as smarts go.

I have to give them Kudos for staying in character, though. Their feat, equipment, and skill selection truly reflects the sort of bad life-choices that morons of that caliber would make.

I'm especially dissapointed in the rogue, whose skills are abbysmal. The little thug can't even open a lock.

I expect that it's because the adventure is tailored to capitalize on thier weaknesses for plot purposes. Its probably a brawl heavy adventure, where all the locks have keys that you have to hunt down Legend-of-Zelda style.

starfalconkd
10-31-2007, 07:01 AM
I'm especially dissapointed in the rogue, whose skills are abbysmal. The little thug can't even open a lock.

I expect that it's because the adventure is tailored to capitalize on thier weaknesses for plot purposes. Its probably a brawl heavy adventure, where all the locks have keys that you have to hunt down Legend-of-Zelda style.

I don't know. This bunch looks like they could (and would) kick down and doors that get in the way.

starfalconkd
10-31-2007, 07:25 PM
I decided to remake these characters. More in keeping with the thoughts of showing off the game, I designed the following:
Tara Redstag Human Fighter 4th
S: 16 D: 14 C: 16 I: 10 W: 10 Ch: 8
Feats: Exotic Weapon Prof (Bastard Sword), Weapon Focus (Bastard Sword), Dodge, Mobility, Improved Initiative, Weapon Specialization (Bastard Sword)
Equip: Bastard Sword +1, Breastplate +1, Heavy Steel Shield +1, and as listed
I didn't change Tara too much. I switched her Dex and Con as it seemed to make more sense for a fighter. I gave her a bastard sword instead of an axe. And I took away her spring attack feat, as she had one too many feats and does not qualify for spring attack at the level she would take it.
Xaphnia Liadon Elf Sorceress 4th
S: 8 D: 18 C: 12 I: 12 W: 8 Ch: 16
Feats: Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot
Equip: Longbow +1, Ring of Protection +1, Bracers of Armor +1, Masterwork Rapier, Potion of Cure Moderate Wounds
Spells: as listed but replace lesser orb of acid with mage armor
Xaphnia is now the party's archer and artillery. Additionally, while she does not have combat casting, with mage armor and shield her AC rise to 23. At point blank with her bow, she has an attack bonus of +8 and deals 1d8+1 points of damage.
Morn Frostsilver Dwarven Cleric 4th
S: 14 D: 10 C: 14 I: 10 W: 16 Ch: 13
Feats: Combat Casting, Martial Weapon Prof (warhammer)
Equip: Warhammer +1, Full Plate +1, Masterwork Heavy Steel Shield, Masterwork Light Crossbow
Spells: as listed
A slightly better designed clericof Moradin. Morn does not do as much combat damage as before, but he has a better AC. Also he should avoid using his crossbow unless necessary.
Gavin Gallowslee Halfling Rogue 2nd/ Fighter 2nd
S: 14 D: 18 C: 12 I: 14 W: 8 Ch: 8
Feats: Weapon Finesse, Two Weapon Fighting, Two Weapon Defense, Weapon Focus (Throwing Axe)
Equip: as listed
Gavin is now the smart one in the group. Coupled with taking rogue at first level, he now has a total of 58 skill points to play with. I took away his archery related feats and designed to be more of a two weapon sneaky fighter. He should try to avoid direct confrontation due to his lower con.
Durven Frostsilver Dwarf Paladin 4th
S: 18 D: 8 C: 16 I: 8 W: 11 Ch: 14
Feats: Weapon Focus (Dwarven Waraxe), Power Attack
Equip: Waraxe +1, Half Plate +1, Heavy Steel Shield +1
Building a dwarf paladin with a 28 point buy is hard, however Durven here could be fun to play. If he wishes to sacrifice three point of AC he could drop his shield and wield his waraxe in two hands gaining an extra two points to damage and doubling any power attack he uses.

Kojiro
11-07-2007, 09:00 PM
10 is average intelligence, so these adventurers are not dim. They do; however, suck a lot at their professions.

shadowpriest
11-11-2007, 02:21 AM
Yeah they might be good on short term but that party will be only problems on long term :)

The Wandering Bard
11-12-2007, 06:29 PM
I don't know, I mean I am not going to stick up for this group of adventurers. but I think that it could become intresting as the group progresses in levels. I do agree that the characters are bad at their chosen professions but thats the point of flaws and such. it builds character.

Umm.....that could be intresting, a weak fighter with a greataxe or great sword......intresting story....and flaw.....Humm a curse?....sick??? oh well enough of my ranting, I think over all that if played right this group could be intresting to read, but they do need to improve.