PDA

View Full Version : house rules for the RCR

jisan74
10-22-2007, 01:09 AM
Here everyone can post there own house rules for when they play RCR.
Currently i'm working on my house rules.When i get most of them done i will post them.

Inquisitor Tremayne
10-23-2007, 08:38 AM
I'll see if I can dig mine out.

Inquisitor Tremayne
12-05-2007, 04:16 PM
Did you get your house rules together?

jayphailey
01-14-2008, 09:35 AM
What is RCR?

Inquisitor Tremayne
01-14-2008, 09:49 AM
The Revised Core Rulebook version of the Star Wars RPG.

jayphailey
01-14-2008, 10:59 AM
Is that the second edition of d20 or WEG's 2nd edition?

Sorry for the cluelessness.

Inquisitor Tremayne
01-14-2008, 02:36 PM
Its the d20 second edition.

jayphailey
01-16-2008, 10:47 PM
Ah. I am running that myself these days. I added some house rules of my own. I can post those if anyone is interested.

Jay ~Meow!~

Inquisitor Tremayne
01-26-2008, 04:20 PM
Please post you house rules.

I am afraid that due to several freezes/crashes/disk wipes and what-not, my house rules for the RCr are lost forever.

jayphailey
01-27-2008, 01:20 AM
My first house rule had to do with force users.

I recieved an angry complaint that force users have to effectly burn thier own hit points to use the force, rendering them glass jawed in combat.

Looking at this, I agreed. So I cloned off vitality as a second set of "Force Energy Point" (Need a more catchy name for it)

These are like Fatigue points in GURPs, or END in Hero system.

A force user recovers the amount of force points he has over 24 hours. This can be prorated

So someone with 12 force energy point will recover 1 FEP every two hours, Some one with 24 FEPs will recover ne per hour.

Someone with 48 FEPs recover one ever half hour and so on

The beginning amount of FEPs matches hit points - more on that next post.

jayphailey
01-27-2008, 01:31 AM
My second house rule concerned hit points

Star Wars RCR used Vitality and wound points.

Initially I liked this mechanism, except for one thing.

It made no sense to me to have someone get shot three times, get bruised and tired the first two times and only have the third shot actualy draw blood.

At first, I thought of saying like 1 of every 5 incoming damage points goes to wounds. So effectively I am interspersing wound points with Vitalty points

Imagine a damage track

W VVVVV W VVVVV W VVVVV W VVVVV W

But if I was going to do that, then why not just call them all hit points?

So I lifted the Hit Points and Massive Damage Threshhold rules from d20 modern and use those straight, instead.

PCs derive starting wound points and vitality points as normal, then add them all togther and call them hit points.

At subsequent levels, they roll the die as normal.

Jay ~Meow!~

8cidx
02-19-2008, 03:45 PM
How much actually changes from the first ed to the second ed. I never got a copy of the RCR, is it worth the extra money? Also now that fourth ed is hitting shelves will they also be revising Starwars to 4th ed?

jayphailey
02-19-2008, 04:01 PM
The 4th ed Star Wars Analog was actually the first one released - it's called the SAGA edition.

A lot of people on the SW e-mail lists are raving about it.

Jay ~Meow!~

Inquisitor Tremayne
02-19-2008, 04:34 PM
Star Wars Saga edition is hands down the best d20 RPG I have ever played.

I enjoy it soo much its silly.

Its really easy to play, streamlining the rules from the RCR to Saga meant not having a rule for every possible thing you can think of which leaves it open for GM adhocing, which in my opinion is great.

No more hours pent looking up something. GM says yes or no and you are done.

I didn't play much of the OCR because the RCR was quick to come out soon after but it was a vast improvement.

Saga expands on this even more and no longer are Jedi stupid powerful but well balanced along with the other classes. Check out some of the threads in the Saga section for more info.

Now, onto house rules!

We never had any Force pool points but several people used a system like that and it seemed to work. Same with converting VP/WP to Hp. I didn't mind VP/WP but it broke down at high levels.

jisan74
08-16-2008, 10:26 PM
ok i haven't been here in a while.But i finally made house rule i like.It works similar to a rule on the star wars web site about softer criticals.and leaky vitality.Can't remember fully anyway.

When a critical is rolled the damaged caused is double.But this is compared to your wound points or as in saga threshold.from 1 up to your wp total you cause 1 wp of damage on a critical strike.This doesn't reduce nor effect your vp score just wp.

An example is lets say you cause 30 points of damage on a critical to someone with a wp score of 12.You would cause 3 wp of damage.if your wearing armour a critical in my game by passes armour dr.But I'm still working on the bugs with it so bear with me.

As what jayphailey did with did with forces users i did something like it to.But i called it force stamina. and you get so much FS based upon you classes VP dice.as follows

d10 you get d4 fs
d8 you get d6 fs
d6 you get s8 fs
non force users or non force using classes d4 fs
all are modified by your wisdom score.
It recovers much like vp during rest.
If anybody likes to give me tips on these if they sound to imbalanced ro something let me know ok.

Dytrrnikl
04-27-2009, 03:14 AM
While I no longer play RCR, I did make some house rules for as follows:

Being a longtime fan of WEG, I disliked the way the Force was handled in the RCR or the first d20 version of the game. So I went back to simply having Force skills broken down into Control, Sense, and Alter. With Control being an Intelligence based skill, Sense being a Wisdom based skill, and Alter being a Charisma based skill. Of course to take feats of the same name, you had to have access to the Force skills. To prevent over focusing on those skills, if the Jedi did not have a master to learn from, it required two skill points to raise their Force Skill rating by 1 point. Usually I would have my Force-Users experience 3 or four levels after reaching Jedi Knight where they had no master or pupil and had to grow on their own. On the flip side, a jedi master had to have a padawan in order to not suffer the same delay in improving Force Skills. Rather than having an inidividual skill in Force Push or Attribute Adjustment or whatever, their wer just three.

I wasn't a big fan of Wound Points and Vitality Points. So I eliminated the two and just went with Hit Points. I did however like the massive damage threshold mechanic of D20 modern, but set it up more like the Damage Threshold of Saga Star Wars rules.

The above caused an issue with how the Force was supposed to work, as their was an associated cost of VP for Force Powers. I fixed that by allowing Jedi to use the Force a number of times per encounter equal to 3 + 1/2 their Force-User level. If a Force Feat had an associated VP cost it was eliminated. I ruled that if it was a feat, it was unnecessary to have a VP cost. Force feats counted towards the number of force powers you could use in an encounter.

I gave Soldiers a class ability that worked exactly like DR from DnD. It started at a rating equal to their Constitution modifier and increased once every 3 levels.

I took out the XP cost for making mastercraft items. I just thought it was a pretty stupid requirement. To counter that, only the Tech class could make mastercraft items.

I always thought that if you were Force-Sensitive, you were right from the start and ruled that the Force-Sensitivity feat had to be taken at first level or not at all, if you ever wanted to have training in the Force. The idea of taking the feat later in a character's career, explaining that they just didn't realize they were FS never jived with me.

When Force-Users gained skill training in Control, Sense, and Alter I allowed them to also gain a Control, Sense, or Alter feat for free as part of gaining access to the skill. To balance this, I gave all other classes a bonus feat at 1st, 3rd, and 5th levels.