PDA

View Full Version : Your Favorite D&D Character

Moritz
10-19-2007, 09:38 AM
We've danced all around this subject. Favorite Class, favorite version, favorite race. But I don't know that we've ever touched upon our Favorite Character.

So, from a personal point of view, please share with the rest of us your favorite D&D character you (or someone else) may have played or are still playing. Tell us the good and bad points of the character, their faults, strengths, etc. Oh, and don't forget the level (or particular favorite level range).

InfoStorm
10-19-2007, 12:49 PM
I cannot narrow a selection of favorite characters down beyond these four... well a trio and the a loner.

The Trio is from the Beginner/Expert/etc version of D&D where I had:
Serin Matif an elf
Sepa(somethng long I can't remember) an level elf
and Ceranitalla a Cleric

Yes, there were fro the realm where an elf was a class. :) I was the DM and these three had a great adventure with lots of memories that all started when Sepa said, "I'm on a quest" to Serin and later, when I asked her out of character what her quest was she said, "oh just make one up for me." Talk about open license to the DM.

The other, where I was again DM was played by the same person who played Serin above. This time it was Gemini, an 2nd edition elvin swordsman with two swords. high dex and low str, he still managed to hold back an entire orc army at a whoke point and later stood in front of a line of charging calvary and survived unscathed. This was at a mere 3rd level with no magic defences.

I've never been able to play characters of my own long enough to get to build piles of memories on them. Kept becoming the DM.

Malruhn
10-19-2007, 09:34 PM
I have several.
The first was an unnamed fighter who's highest stat was his STR - a monstrous 12. At 3rd level, he traded EVERYTHING he owned for a +1 longsword, and continued adventuring with a loincloth. At 7th level, he traded it all in again for a +2 longsword. On his first adventure after that, armed with a +2 longsword and girded with a loincloth, he was felled by a SINGLE orc that rolled three critical attacks in a row.

The second was Malruhn (my namesake), the Ranger. He dressed in a golden cloak that he used as a blanket at night. He was quite strong, but very heavy (think Orson Wells). Sleeping on the military crest of hills (just below the actual crest, so he could see over), his companion Elves would go to wake him up in the morning, and see this great golden bulk as they crested the hill - earning him the title, "Malruhn of the Golden Sunrise."
Later, an adventuring companion was seduced by a demon, and eventually possessed. It was Malruhn's sad duty to track down his dear friend and kill her to rid the world of the demon. This earned him the title of "Slayer of the Avenging Demon." He stopped laughing after that adventure... (I stopped playing him at 9th level)

Most recently was Marcus Timon d'Cannith, the 11th level Artificer. He started at 6th level as a student and couch-potato that was more into research than adventuring. Eventually, he found out that his family was just raising him as a courtesy to House d'Cannith due to assassin problems. The crew did some amazing things, before we moved to X'endrik and the entire party, other than Marcus, was slain by shadows. He now is an NPC that hires adventuring parties to go try to find a lost Warforged (almost) Jaugernaut named Omega, a dear friend that was captured by and is being experimented on by evil factions of House d'Cannith.

There are many, many more, but these three are the ones that spring to mind easiest.

rabkala
10-20-2007, 04:59 PM
So many characters, I can't pick one. Some that jump to mind...

Forçons du Camion or truck for short. He was a mountain of a man with little tact. Truck was a cleric of Heimdal who died defending his fallen companions. He was the first character in advanced D&D to reach 8th level.

Elithandrial Thiloqual was a half elven fighter/magic-user. He soon became known as 'Lampshade' after a long night of drinking with his newfound human compatriots. The easily overshadowed Lampshade was a shy young man. After dieing twice in the tomb of horrors and being brought back by his older brother, a flamboyant Paladin, I retired the character (near tenth level I think). I identified too deeply with the character and just couldn't take it for some reason.

Vasoline was a second edition minotaur gladiator. He fought many vicious battles in the arenas and eventually became a mighty warlord, but never came to terms with humanity's lack of acceptance. He was a four armed monster with the artifact the arm of Arnd. He lead his armies through many huge wars using the battle system rules. The easy to anger Minotaur retired around 16th level.

The Phantom Fulcrum was the first character without a real name. He was a Saurial preist/evoker who's name started as an untranslatable smell of citrus peels and aluminum followed by a slight squinting. He was given the name "The Phantom Fulcrum" by a king after devising a plan and succeeding in defending the country. Having outlived all his friends, he sought more understanding in the vast space of spelljammer where he faded away into glory.

Rabkala was an evil priest of the Realms. He found redemption (in an updated desert of desolation). He was a very likable man who was loved by the masses. He started an island empire near the Sword Coast (I think) and became the most powerful character I ever played.

Digital Arcanist
10-22-2007, 11:20 AM
My favorite character is Charirvorastrixmalsvir. He is an evil cleric of Io. The most fascinating part of the character is that he is a red dragon Dra 14/Clr 6 from Toril.

Having fallen in with many of the dragons who fought with/for Sammaster during the Rage, Char discovered that Sammaster wished to make the dragons his undead servants. Char rose up against Sammaster and was cast from Toril into an alternate Material Plane embroiled in intrigues and wars. As part of his punishment, Char was transfigured into a silver dragon and given false memories. He believed he was a champion of good in service to the Platinum Father.

Taking up arms in a war, Char was struck repeatedly with magics. The resulting effects began to unravel the powerful magic Sammater used to punish Char and he realized who he truly was. The facade of the silver dragon literally melted away and the true glory of Char was finally revealed.

Being neutral in the conflicts of his new home, he amassed a large fortune selling his services to all. He then turned this fortune into an empire through clever business endeavors.

Currently, Char and his current allies sit in his mountainous citadel plotting to destroy the Black Tower, a group of vile people not unlike the Zentarim and their Dark Network. Char cares only because they threaten his interests which is an attack on his horde.

I used the Dragon class featured in Dragon Magazine #332 and the draconic deity descriptions from the Draconomicon.

MortonStromgal
10-22-2007, 11:23 AM
Morton Stromgal - Started out as my first character in Baldur's Gate CRPG. He was a Dwarf Fighter then. Made a few jaunts into pen & paper AD&D 2nd as a Fighter and Fighter/Cleric before being put on the shelf for a few years. He then made a comeback in Everquest II this time choosing to go with the Dwarf Cleric motif. Love of him and his healing ways would once again have him make a trip to pen & paper land, this time as a Cleric. Hes now become a well known name around the table with his bad scottish accent and drunken preaching ways ;)

So why is he my favorite? Well before Morty I had an irrational hatred of dwarves. I don't know why I picked to be a dwarf in Baldur's Gate, its very unlike me, but I did it and I had a lot of fun with that game, thus making dwarves tolerable. I also hated being the healer but we needed one for Everquest II so I thought about what kinda Cleric should I be. I came up with a dwarf because I figured it would be silly and I had no plans of enjoying the character. Well what dwarf name to give this guy, of course I had to bring back Morton. To my surprise I loved being the party healer. I got to buff my friends and I only had to turn on LFG to get bombarded by people looking for a healer. Now I start playing 3.5 again and the group I'm in has no healer so I say I'll do it. At this point I'm not excited about it but after Everquest II it may be ok. Of course I again make Morton and I loved it. Casting Doom, Bull's Strength, & others I was a valued asset for more than just healing. My insane AC and concentration score made the DM blink more than once. Since then Morton shows up from time to time whenever a healer is needed.

Moritz
10-22-2007, 11:59 AM
In 1980 I needed a DM voice. So I created an NPC named '(the) Warlock, Voyce Xanadu'. (I'm sure Olivia Newton John had something to do with the naming of him. - And you can totally see the play on his first name "Voyce", as in the DM's voice).

Anyway, the character was some really old wizard that lived in a tower far away upon an island. For some reason, he really didn't do much speaking to the player characters, but there was a lot of scrying and sending of messages through spells or events. Somewhat guiding the players.

By 1984, I had basically written Voyce into a corner he no longer became involved in the player character's actions. Voyce then started moving through dimensions and doing his own thing. Though he left a son and his Tower behind.

The son was Sting Xanadu (a player's character who happened to love the Police). Sting wasn't favored or really given anything. He was an illegitimate child that Voyce knew nothing of (until much later). However, Sting knew his destiny and mounted a quest (party of player characters) to locate the island by which his 'inheritance' stood. He intended to claim the tower for his own.

The quest didn't go so well. Half the party was wiped out by the towers defenses and the evil that had set up shop within the upper levels of the tower (evil got in through an interdimensional portal left open by the careless wizard (or was it intentional?)).

Ultimately, the quest was given up and Sting never claimed the tower or the more precious items within it. Though they did get loot, just not the 'most powerful magic item' that Sting 'called'.

In 1987, Voyce Xanadu returned to the prime material plane and excised the evil from his tower. He learned of Sting (the son) and made contact. It was another plot hook, 'The 10 challenges of the Xanadu'. Basically, 10 quests that Sting (and the party) had to complete to prove he was worthy to be claimed as the rightful heir to the Xanadu legacy.

Before the 10 quests could be completed, the party broke up and things changed. It was high school, constant flux. Other games happened, and then Marvel Super Heroes came about.

It wasn't until 2001 that Voyce was again officially pulled from the metaphorical closet for a 3.0 game that eventually became a 3.5 game.

However, he was really never used. Just his tower. Historically the world went through upheaval and instead of an island where his tower once was, it was 1200 years later and the tower was inverted into a mountain and was being explored by a legion of Lawful Neutral Drow that the new player characters encountered.

The tower then was the focus of many sessions of adventure as the party painstakingly made their way through trying to learn its history and find the owner.

They only learned that Voyce Xanadu had become a Greater Lich and long since left the plane.

The game lasted about 3 years and this was only a segment of it. However, in my next game, '(the) Lich Voyce Xanadu' will return to his tower and find someone's been sleeping in his bed. Thus the new player characters will ultimately face a new evil.

shilar
10-23-2007, 09:42 AM
Shilar was a lawful good 2nd ed thief. Somehow the party never believed me about the lawful part despite not having any evidence to the contrary. We were on a quest to recover 13 divine artifact swords. Basically the set from the book of swords series plus one more called storm bringer. The party never trusted me with the pocket book but when it came to liberating the swords from dark masters where stealth rather than force was called for they always went with my plans. Heck the other characters were just as fun. Especially after the visit to the garden of elemental chaos. Still don't know where the DM found 2 D1000 charts, one for random monster encounters and one for the effect of touching liquid chaos. We had our fighter pick up a third arm, and later a mechanical magically bonded 4th(darn tinker gnomes). The human ninja turn into an elven wizard(well, kind of, multiple personalities she shifted between the 2 forms). After my accidental dip, nothing, thats right one of the options was nothing. Oh and the dwarven cleric had his beard burnt off AGAIN, 4th time I think. We eventually gave him flame resistance as a ability.

Riftwalker
10-23-2007, 10:22 AM
This thread is fun to read. :)

The Wandering Bard
10-23-2007, 10:15 PM
As many of the others stated, there are so many characters played to choose just one.

Ethilothan Ne'Vorin, Elven Druid. This character was the first to unlease my cruel streaks. I played this character for a while, he started out at level 1. He was also the first character I gave a flaw to. He was paralized with fear by the undead for a few until he passed a will save. I found the joy of casting heat metal on people in metal armor if I felt more cruel i would cast it on the helmet (WHAT you did it to admit it ;) )

Nathian Blade A warmage started out as an Evocker class wizard but with the supplement he changed a little. He waited until he gained a few levels than summoned a familiar, Indihar a leopard. Nathian had the ability to suprise all the party members when he slayed a bandit leader with one hit. Nathian and Indihar flanked the leader, than managed to strike the man rolled a critical hit with his spell-storing warhammer unleashing a lightningbolt, plus the critical damage. haha the DM's face was pricless.

oh I feel a credit card commercial coming on

Mithril chainmail shirt 1100g.
Spell-storing warhammer 3231g.
mithril buckler +1 3101g.

the look on the DM's face when his NPC character kisses cold steel than dirt PRICELESS!!! (insert evil laugh here)

Than Kadion Bain known as The Wandering Bard, I put a lot of myself in this character, His flaw was a fear of losing his friends (may not sound like much but added much conversation in the game) His weapons may change but attitude and wit was always present. I found out why they call bards the utility character after playing the bard. I have to many stories to share with this character but he was one of the most fun to play.

well thats enough talking for me.

diaperlord
10-29-2007, 09:07 AM
I wish I could remember the particulars of this character, but I came up with a human female bard who was a recovering prostitute. I developed a sort of progressive saving throw to reflect recovering from addictive behavior. About the time she got to 3rd level my buddies all switched over to playing Magic, so I didn't get to really develop her as much as I had hoped. This was following a 7th level paladin, a 9th level cleric, and a 17th level ranger, so you can see that she was quite a departure for me.

Unfortunately I can't remember names for any of them, and I think I threw out the character sheets when I thought I was never going to play D&D again.

bitemytail
10-31-2007, 04:03 PM
Aust Nailo, Elvish Wizard/palemaster

Chaotic-neutral
Level 15

No, this wasn't an evil campaign. I played a necromancer of light. He was the very essence of anti-hero. Besides being the leader of the group, he was the leader of a city. The party's goal? Defeat the evil necromancers. Aust's brother joined the necromancers; to get his revenge, he decided to beat them at their own game. Because Aust's allegiance was not set-in-stone, he had a yin-yang system to keep track of his evil/good. The campaign died after the DM lost his character sheet.

One interesting tidbit is that I thought of this character while playing GTA: Vice City. I was listening to the talk-show and one of the speakers was a goth-type.

As for personality, Aust was ruthless. He didn't believe in letting weak foes live. He was unfriendly and sometime rude. However, he did have a good-side. He was excellent at getting along with people who opposed him. When the paladin in the group expressed his discontent with making Aust the leader, the two of us had the best in-character conversation I'd ever heard. (The useless DM was inside with his g/f and missed the whole thing)

Since our DM had each of our characters need a life goal, Aust's was: Remove the stereotype of necromancy being a dark magic - it can be used for good too.

Belkar
11-05-2007, 12:52 PM
Hmm...

Toss up between three:

Aramil Nailo: Elf scout/warlock. We had a DM who liked to knock us out and strip us of weapons. He didn't much care for this build. The party sure did... :D Took him from lvl 3 to lvl 15. Had a blast. He survived TPK three times. The DM eventually retired the game...

Core: Warforged monk. Lvl 2 to lvl 10. Not the best min/maxed character (many of his monk abilities became obsolete compared to his WF racial abilities), but way too fun to play. Ultimately, he was killed by a pair of druids who took offense to him. Well, not killed, really - one druid stone shaped the rock under his feet to create a pit, which a bad save let him fall into. Before my next round, the other druid cast the same spell, and closed up the pit - imprisoning poor Core in solid stone. Only one survivor from that near TPK, who then became an NPC, and just assumed Core was dead - never realizing the poor WF would remain alive forever, encased in rock. :(

Brig Halfbane: Half-orc barbarian/fighter. Lvl 2-3. Short lived character, but so fun to play. Lasted 2 sessions with an Int of 6, a Wis of 7, and a Cha of 6. He liked to hit things with a club. On the second adventure, he was attacked by a vargouille and failed his save (horribly). Over the next few days, his facial features grew more and more mishapen and evil - until his head popped off and flew around, killing another party memeber before it was vanquished. Good times. :D

Vulture
11-05-2007, 02:41 PM
my favorite character is Grim the Half-orc barbarian who dies alot

diaperlord
11-05-2007, 03:53 PM
my favorite character is Grim the Half-orc barbarian who dies alot
Does he wear an orange parka with the hood up all the time and answer to "Kenny"?

Fsuphilosophy09
11-05-2007, 09:57 PM
A friend once played a Pirate in Living Grey Hawk his name was Lyle Osbounre his character was friggin awesome... theres one instance where Lyle slides down a rope on his feet tarzan style and shoots a baddie with an arrow and miraculously rolls a critical hit even with a bunch of penalties:eek:

shadowpriest
11-11-2007, 01:24 AM
Hahah. The ******** killed Grim again :(

badjimmy
11-23-2007, 07:17 PM
My favorite has to be a 1/2 elf fighter thief. This guy had the most amazing luck. One time he was pilfering some potions off of the top shelf in some lab and he fell knocking over all the shelves. The DM just gave me that look and started rolling on his chart to find out what happens when mixing potions. I ended up with permanent rainbow hues and the ability to fly 3/day. There were many other sessions like that but this one stuck out the most.

Digital Arcanist
11-23-2007, 07:25 PM
no minuses to thief skills because you are Rainbow colored? That is a very nice DM!!!

PhishStyx
11-23-2007, 07:26 PM
Was it glowing neon rainbow colors?

kapnkirk
11-23-2007, 07:47 PM
My favorite character has to be Sir Auric Falthereux. Auric ended up a 9th level Cavalier and was a Lieutenant in the Imperial guard by the time I moved in 1989. He was almost painfully lawful good and noble. The last campaign he was in revolved around a botched peace envoy to a neighboring country. Auric ended up rescuing the ambassador from some Dark Elves who had ambushed and kidnapped most of the party. The rest of the party pretty much wanted to kill him because he honored a deal he had made with a local orc tribe to facilitate their rescue. Ah, those were the days!;)

Inquisitor Tremayne
11-24-2007, 10:53 AM
current: (3.5) Tirsa Greycastle Cleric 9

Previous: (3.0) Tirsa Aarhelder Fighter 10/Order of the Bow Initiate 2

I will post their stats soon.

Digital Arcanist
11-24-2007, 10:56 AM
I love the Order of the Bow.....I combined that class with my Scout class and I do way more damage with my Skirmish dice than the rogue does with sneak-attack. i used a Greater augmentation crystal on my bow to let me attack un-dead and constructs and use my Skirmish dice on them.

The DM was very sad he let me do that when I decimated one of his homemade creatures by myself.

Malruhn
11-24-2007, 09:45 PM
Rereading this thread, I realized that most of my most favorite characters have been PC's that my players have played when I DM'ed.

My favorites?

Payne Darkwater: the son of a prostitute in the darkest corners of the red-light district of (homebrew) Stormhaven. He was a quickthinking kid that wanted to grow up into the greatest swordsman in the world, modeled after Mad Mardigan from the movie Willow. He joined the military and ended up becoming a sword master (AD&D, specialized with both rapier and dagger, and specialized with TWF). After about eight levels, he ended up taking control of a freight ship and became a "Dread Pirate Robert" before the movie came out. He's still out there, somewhere, talking trash, bedazzling the ladies and being his own version of hero.

Then there was Groqx (Grocks): A half-orc (half-uruk) fighter that had a heart of gold and left the orcan armies. He still worshipped Ilneval though, believing that the LE deity just had things a little wrong in his delivery. He ended up saving elvish princesses, helping dwarven lords, you name it.
His crowning glory was a sword dedicated to Ilneval (effectively a 1st Ed Holy Weapon). It nearly killed him as he quested to gather the meteoric steel, the gems, the pommel wrap, and then take part in the quenching rituals. And ya know what it did? NUTHIN'!! It was a +0 magical blade, that allowed him to hit any creature that required magical plusses to hit (3.5 rules would be that it overcame DR in all cases).

There have been just SO many! Well, there should be, after 27 years of playing... damn, but I'm OLD!

WPharolin
11-29-2007, 01:36 AM
Flaywind Ward - He was like a 9th level half giant sorcerer. He was trying to make his father proud by reclaiming the former glory of the giants and taking over Eberron. He was gonna start with Droaam. But the truth was he just kept rushing into things blindly and the rest of the party would have to clean up after him. But he managed (by luck alone) to actually conquer A heavily Medusa guarded fortress for one day. Of course a harpy squad took it back and killed the whole party. But it was one of the best games we ever did.

Drohem
11-29-2007, 01:58 AM
My favorite D&D character is Farother Aianamarth the Holy Bringer of Doom. He was created on 01/24/1987 under 1st edition Advanced Dungeons and Dragons rules. He was a Myrikhan class. This was a class written in an article printed in Dragon magazine titled A Plethora of Paladins written by Christopher Wood. The Myrikhan class represented a Neutral Good Paladin. Farother was converted to 2nd edition when it arrived on the market. Through 1st and 2nd AD&D play, Farother eventually became a 15th Myrikhan.

One of the distinctions of Farother was that he was adamantly against evil, and never hesitated to do battle with evil foes no matter the odds. Miraculously, he never died once in all the years of game play.

Here is pre-adventuring background:

More about Farother Aianamarth:
Farother has hazel eyes and fine, shoulder length hair which is bluish black and pulled back in a tight pony-tail. His skin is sun-baked bronze, except for his deathly pale right hand. He appears to be 25 years old. Farother was born to a nomadic Baklunish tribe of dervishes called the Dust Raiders by the Baklunish tribes of the Dry Steppes on the world known as Oerth. The Dust Raiders control the only pass through the Sulhaut Mountain range, which allows travel between the Dry Steppes and the Sea of Dust on the continent Oerik. The greatest of Oerth’s four continents, Oerik is very large and vast. However, the home of the Dust Raiders is located on the westernmost fringe of the civilized lands collectively known as the Flanaess. The center of the Flanaess is a teeming metropolis named Greyhawk. The Flanaess is a multinational land which is emerging from a dark period of war.
The Dust Raiders venture in the devastated land known as the Sea of Dust to collect artifacts from the remnants from the old Suel Imperium. The devastated lands of the Sea of the Dust and the Dry Steppes are the legacy from the Suel-Baklunish War which ended 1,000 years ago with the Twin Disasters known as the Invoked Devastation and the Rain of Colorless Fire. The greatest Sueloise Mages of Power called down the Invoked Devastation upon the Baklunish, destroying their lands and transforming them into the land known as the Dry Steppes. In retaliation to the Invoked Devastation, a cadre of Baklunish wizard-clerics, gathered in the great protective stone circles known as Tovag Baragu, brought the Rain of Colorless Fire upon their hated enemies, and transformed the lands of the Suel Imperium into the blasted land known as the Sea of Dust.
It is in the sun-scorched and bleak land known as the Sea of Dust that the story of Farother Aianamarth the Holy Bringer of Doom, and his faithful shield-brother Armageddon began. Farother was born the third of five sons the Khan of the Dust Raider tribe. Armageddon was born the third of four sons to the Farother’s uncle, who was also the third brother of the Khan. Farother and Armageddon were first cousins and very close in age. The Dust Raiders were a fierce and proud people forged by the ever present light of mighty Baklunish sun god Ra. From early childhood, they had a special bond and grew up together under the tutelage of their uncles and cousins.
At an early age it was clear to everyone of the tribe that both boys would become great warriors. Both possessed a fierce and true spirit, and were believed to be blessed by Ra which the Dust Raider tribe venerated, as did many of the scattered Baklunish nomad dervish tribes. In the Ancient Baklunish language, Farother translated to the “light of Ra” and Armageddon translated to “ray of life.” Both boys were looked upon to grow into powerful men of the tribe.
They found out that their fates were forever intertwined at the age of thirteen. Both boys joined some of their cousin and one of their uncles on a expedition deep into the heart of the Sea of Dust in search of artifacts and items to trade. One night their camp was attacked by a Drow raiding party and captured. Several men of the tribe and two of their cousins were killed in the raid. Their future was bleak because becoming a slave of the Drow of the Sulhaut Mountains was a fate worse than death.
However, early in the dawn and with the first brilliant rays of Ra’s chariot, they were saved from slavery. The Drow were surprised by a group of the fierce and brutal people known to the Dust Raiders as the Sand People. The Sand People were a tall, ebony skinned nomadic people which lived in the southwestern edge of the Sea of Dust. They are said to know the secret locations of many ruins within the Sea of Dust, and the location of the Forgotten City which they guard fiercely. The Forgotten City is rumored to be the capitol of the ancient Suel Imperium and Sueloise culture. The Dust Raiders have traded with tribes of the Sand People in the past. In the chaotic early morning battle, all the men of the Dust Raider tribe fought fiercely, including the two young boys Farother and Armageddon. Life in the sun-baked Sea of Dust is harsh and brutal. All of the Dust Raider men were killed by either the Drow captors or the Sand People raiders, and both Farother and Armageddon were left for dead.
The boys awoke to find themselves injured and without food and water. They knew that scavengers would arrive shortly and finish them off. They started moving away from the carnage, but were lost. After two days and two nights, the boys were on the verge of death and knew it. With the first shining rays of Ra’s chariot on the third morning, both boys were graced with visions from the all mighty sun god Ra. Both boys were confused about their visions, and did not understand their meanings. They both saw themselves and each other in strange, lush lands of trees and valleys, with large bodies of water. Farother saw Armageddon with two different colored eyes, and Armageddon saw Farother with a deathly pale right hand. Shortly after their visions, they were rescued by a Qadi (known as a Cleric in the Flanaess) and Myrikhan of Ra named Mouklas. He said he was led to them by Ra’s ever present light.
The boys told Mouklas of their visions, and he said that they had a great destiny. He told them that such powerful visions directly from Ra could only properly be interpreted by the Mahdi of the Steppes. The Mahdi was the young leader and prophet-warrior of the Baklunish dervishes and nomads of the Dry Steppes. After several days of rest, Mouklas lead the boys back to the territory of the Dust Raider tribe. After relating their tale and visions and with much reluctance, the Khan gave leave for Mouklas to take the boys to see the Mahdi of the Steppes.
After several weeks of travel, the boys came upon the camp of the Mahdi. After several days, they were granted an audience with the great dervish leader of the Dry Steppes. The boys related the visions and story to him. The Mahdi explained that the boys were blessed by the mighty Ra and destined to become great warriors and banish evil in his service. He told the boys that they were bound by blood and the rays of Ra to fight side-by-side. The Mahdi told the boys that they were to go to the great city of Kanak on the shores of Lake Udrukankar and devote themselves to the service and church of Ra. He told them that once their training was done that they were to leave the Dry Steppes and travel east to the lands known as the Flanaess. It was there that they would be of great service to Ra and fight the greatest evils.
With the blessings of the Mahdi, Mouklas took the boys to the great city of Kanak and they entered the church of Ra. When of proper age, the boys joined the warrior-sect of the church of Ra and swore the ancient oath of shield-brothers. After three years of training and three years of service to the church, the aged Qadi Mouklas came to the church and spoke with the elder Mullahs on behalf the young men. They were brought before the Mullahs and told that it was time for them to leave these lands and travel towards the light of Ra, and the strange eastern lands of the Flanaess. They were told that Mouklas would be their guide on this journey.
Mouklas took them east along the northern slopes of the Sulhaut Mountain range. He then led them up into the high peaks of the Crystalmist Mountain ranges. After several months of travel, the group met with a clan of Dwarves. It was there that Mouklas told the young men that he could travel no further with them, and that going forward they would be on their own. Heavy with sadness, the young men watched as their friend and mentor left them alone in strange lands with strange peoples. Thus began the journeys of Farother and Armageddon in the strange “civilized” lands of the Flanaess.

Skunkape
11-29-2007, 06:51 AM
My favorite character was when we were playing a high power AD&D campaign. Each of us were half something, ranging from a half-jinn to a half-water sprite.

While it wasn't my character the funniest character as far as back story was concerned was a Paladin who was a half-demon. The GM had written up this back story for the character but hadn't informed him of it. Only reason I found out about it was because he told me after we ended the game.

Anyway, my character was a half-elf/half-water sprite. We were using the comeliness attribute from Unearthed Arcana and I ended up having to wear a mask over my face because I scored in the God-like level of comeliness. That combined with my white skin color had most of the characters believing I was a vampire.

It was a fun game, but we never made it past 5th level. Man I miss that game!

Maelstrom
12-01-2007, 04:40 AM
I've got two:

The first is a necromancer I played a looooong time ago (15 years?), can't remember his name. It was the character I had that reached the highest level of any I've played from 1st, 18, and he was getting quite powerful. But then he faced a flight of dragons, so he stood in the midst of them and broke his Staff of the Magi, which exploded furiously, throwing him into another plane. Turns out, the Dragons were an illusion :o. Fortunately he came back as an NPC to interact with other players from time to time.

2nd Character: Really an NPC since I haven't been a player for a long time. Name is Aevrin Staunch, and he goes by the name of Ravenwing. A short man with sinewy build, he is bald, and has a black Roc tatooed across the back of his head. A Lawful Neutral fighter, he is a soldier at heart from a Desert land, and served as a body guard for a Raj. When he found that the Raj had evil plans laid, he resisted and barely escaped with his life, so he is now on the run from the assassins the Raj sent after him.

He has a high dex, moderate strength, and high wisdom. This plays out that he is a genious tactically, and he uses a spiked chain to disarm, trip, and deal out plenty of attacks of opportunity with the reach it provides. He's invested in some rougish skills, and is often found leaping across rooftops or scaling a wall in order to gain tactical advantage in a fight.

Funny side story... I originally gave him the nickname Sparhawk, but the players laughed me down since apparently there is a character named Sparhawk in some fantasy book series, which I didn't realize. I can't ever bring this NPC out without the players chuckling now.

Olothfaern
12-05-2007, 11:57 AM
My favorite character was my first 3.0 character. He was from the Phostwood and agents from one of the armies surrounding it raided his home and killed his mother and press ganged his brother. He used his wits to escape and ended up as a 1st level Rogue wandering about performing magic tricks to keep himself fed while nursing a deep seeded vengeance. After attracting the attention of a true wizard he apprenticed himself out and became a generalist wizard with a thirst for knowledge which led him into Loremaster.

Over the course of the campaign we helped our barbarian unite the snow, ice and frost barbarians into one tribe; raided Iuz, rescued and deprogrammed my brother and defeated the Theocracy of the Pale and the other armies surrounding the Phostwood.

As an aside I got to find all the broken 3.0 arcane combos.

I ended up performing a large ritual using the souls of the fallen soldiers and grafting them to the trees to awaken the forest so that it could guard it's inhabitants against further incursions. Becoming a lich-like being myself in the process who acted as Obad-Hai's retributive avatar to those who would despoil nature.

Zephurith
12-13-2007, 11:51 AM
My favorite character.... was actually one I NPC'ed while DMing... It was a baby black dragon that had gotten into the group because they had found the egg.... off of a wizard they had killed... It hatched, killing a kobold for food within minutes, and assumed the name Fido... given to him lovingly by the drow thief in the party.... He ended up being a nuisance most of the tme, but could provide much needed distraction in a fight... that campaign didn't go far because people moved away :(

Thriondel Half-Elven
12-13-2007, 09:07 PM
my favorite character would have to be one that my brother played. it was his first ever. He was a halfling druid named Mingadolin. he had a falcon named francis.

i loved how he was the smallest and weakest physically but he was the first into a fight. even attempting to go toe to toe with an ancient gold dragon.

me - "you enter the room and are stunned by the sight before your eyes. lying atop a pile of gold is a very large gold dragon. just the mere sight wants to make you cry."

Mingadolin - "DIE FIEND!!!"

it still makes me laugh to this day

Vulture
12-17-2007, 11:45 AM
Does he wear an orange parka with the hood up all the time and answer to "Kenny"?

no, he just charges into combat with out thinking and for some reason my dice dont like me....:D

more recently iv'e been playing a dwarven barbarian, (why do i like barbarians?) and he seems almost unstoppable, just dont call him short.

Temji
02-12-2008, 12:20 PM
just joined the boards, so jumpin on in...

My favorite character... like so many of you, there are so many... goes all the way to first edition...

but the favorite might have to be Kroll, the {uruk hai} fighter. We had a party with NO wizards.. don't ask how that happened, I don't know.

DM: you round a corner and see five {or seven or ten} {{whatever, depending on level at the time}}. they look hungry and mean, and NOT surprised at all. what do you do?

me: Kroll LEAPS!! into the fray...

perhaps the best was the ten foot drop into a partying den of yuan-ti... I think Kroll was seventh level when he died...

Anaesthesia
02-12-2008, 01:00 PM
My Favorite of all time was my first character, Anaesthesia, the Elven Bard/Virtrioso, Queen of the Quick Quips. She was also mostly covered with tattoos, none though on the neck, face or hands, for those formal occasions. I kept conning Gub, the Half-Orc Barbarian out of his money and his rabbits. For some reason, the Half-orc kept on buying rabbits (with whatever money he didn't give to me), then giving them to me.

I would have gotten some levels in spymaster with her, only if the group didn't fall apart..

I heavily based her on Danny Kaye's roll in "The Court Jester," with a shot of Gentleman Starkey (from "Peter Pan"), ie organizing the deaths of a few nobles (dukes, mayors and the like most of the time)-got others to do the dirty work.

spotlight
02-12-2008, 05:39 PM
My first, and favorite character was a human illusionist. Back when it was a separate class, of course.
I had lots of fun him, as it was my first real 'group' group. Oh I had done others, but they were only one on ones, trying to handel two or three characters at a time. No real rp in that!
As best I remember, the ill. had made fifth level before the gang broke up. Off to jobs and college for us all.
Unfortunatly, I can't even remember his name.

tesral
02-12-2008, 08:06 PM
Oh man, make me choose why don't you. I've had dozens of characters. I think many are great characters.

kitsune1842
02-14-2008, 09:29 PM
My favorite character? It would have to be Aurix.

He was a DnD 3.5 character. A Spellscale Warmage/Force Missile Mage/Ardent Savant.

He was a dual wand weilder. Our DM had a few house rules, one let us make magic items without spending XP, and another said when you break a wand all of the charges in it go off at once.

He always wore bright colors, changed his clothes every time the group went more than an hour without seeing him, and carried enough make-up supplies to outfit several Clinique counters, and was truthfully the first openly gay character I played.

He died jsut before 19th level. The group was trying to stop a villian from opening a portal straight into the 9 hells, and failed. Inorder to stop the army od devils he managed to drop himself right by the portal, and snap both of his fully charged wands of Holy Strike. Then his two Wands of Fire Ball went off, and his 3 mostly full Maxed Chained Magic Missile wands that he made after he had the ability to throw 7 missiles at once. Turned a mountain into a crater, but it stopped the evil.

Technically he was Chaotic Good. I played him Heroic Stupid. Still, I loved every blow them to Hell, and then set the remains on fire moment of playing him.

DrAwkward
02-15-2008, 11:28 AM
Hmm.. I think I've been DMing too long. All my favorite characters are NPCs...:(

rabkala
02-16-2008, 01:25 AM
Actually, many of my NPC's are recycled characters of mine and other players I have had over the years.

tesral
02-16-2008, 04:17 AM
Hmm.. I think I've been DMing too long. All my favorite characters are NPCs...:(

Yea, me too also. One reason I started going to OU to play on Friday nights. I like to play too. I think playing also keeps you fresher as the DM becasue you see more than your own style and ideas. I'm an old dog, I need new tricks

cplmac
02-16-2008, 08:53 PM
Yea, me too also. One reason I started going to OU to play on Friday nights. I like to play too. I think playing also keeps you fresher as the DM becasue you see more than your own style and ideas. I'm an old dog, I need new tricks

In the short time that I've been on the site, I don't think Tesral has to worry about not having fresh ideas as DM. I've already picked up a few nice ideas from posting of his as well as a few of the other regulars on the boards. Thank you all for the information.

tesral
02-16-2008, 10:25 PM
In the short time that I've been on the site, I don't think Tesral has to worry about not having fresh ideas as DM. I've already picked up a few nice ideas from posting of his as well as a few of the other regulars on the boards. Thank you all for the information.

Carefull, I'll need a new hat.

cplmac
02-17-2008, 08:58 AM
Carefull, I'll need a new hat.

I bow and tip my hat to you sir, and if needed will buy you a new one!

nijineko
02-19-2008, 06:58 AM
we'll get you one of those ten gallons... so that you have some room for your anticipated challenge. ^^

soulphantom
03-05-2008, 08:53 AM
This char is from an Evil Gestalt campaign.
Drider Psion/Thrall Herd/Monk

Between the uber ability bonuses and extra feats my Psion could do ungodly damage with spells and still be viable at melee range early on. Having the ability to cast Drider HD equivalent Cleric Spells I could heal and buff myself.

In later levels, I had myself a small army with Thrall Herd. My party had taken over a medium coastal township. My Wife had a Master Vampire/Dirge Singer/Bard, (One of her spawn was a MegaRaptor) so between us we had about 100 minions just from our classes. We had some epic battles and rounds took a long time, but it was really fun.

soulphantom
03-05-2008, 09:02 AM
This char is from an Evil Gestalt campaign.
Drider Psion/Thrall Herd/Monk

Between the uber ability bonuses and extra feats my Psion could do ungodly damage with spells and with a few levels of Monk still be viable at melee range early on. Having the ability to cast Drider HD equivalent Cleric Spells I could heal and buff myself.

In later levels, I had myself a small army with Thrall Herd. My party had taken over a medium coastal township. My Wife had a Master Vampire/Dirge Singer/Bard, (One of her spawn was a MegaRaptor) so between us we had about 100 minions just from our classes. We had some epic battles and rounds took a long time, but it was really fun.

upidstay
03-06-2008, 07:28 AM
I have had waaaaay to many over almost 30 years of gaming to pick one, but...

Ott. He has had a few different character sheets over the years, jumped up and down in levels depending on the game, but the core always remained the same. He was born the youngest of 7 boys to a drunken dirt farmer. Mom died giving birth to him, father had no use for another mouth to feed, older brothers took turns beating him up. One night he prayed to the gods that he be "Big and strong". Someone heard, because the next morning a neighbor's proze bull broke out of his pen, kicked Ott in the head and then trampled him. He was taken in by a hermit priest. He healed his woulnds, and fed him. Ott ate and ate, and grew and grew. By the time the old priest died, Ott was 17 years old, stood 7 feet tall, weighed 355lbs. He had a 20 Str, 18 Con, 16 Dex, 10 wis, and 6's in int, and charisma. He doesn't speak very clearly, because his jaw never healed corectly, and the fact that he's dumb as soup. He took up with a traveling side show, where he boxed/wrestled all comers. He was treated like an animal by his masters, but did learn how to fight. He beat his masters to death one night when they tried to rape a pretty young Seer who read fortunes in the show.
He is fiercely loyal to his friends, and you do not want him as an enemy. He wields a Great Axe, "Big Chopper". Most of his feats go to being a better fighter. "It's all about the axe" is the motto. His current incarnation is a 15th level fighter. Improved Grapple, Sunder, Overrun, and Unarmed Attack are some feats. Currently following a pretty elven sorceress around.

He's just alot of fun to play.

upidstay
03-06-2008, 07:42 AM
Another fave was one I only played once, in a one shot, high level adventure.
His name was Yeckim Esoum, halfling thief, I think 19th level, maybe 20th. He had a SICK Tumble ability, and a crossbow that automatically reloaded every round. He would tumble by his opponents into Backstab zone, shoot them for all that extra damage, then tumble away. He had the Shot on the run feat, plus every other missle weapon feat, I believe. The thief ended up dropping way more enemies than the fighters did.
I remember he was turned invisible by the mage, then took a keg of some sort of explosive into a room filled hordes of baddies, then dropping a Potion of Explosions (5d6 fire, 20' radius) onto it. The resulting earth shattering kaboom killled many evil critters, while I made my reflex save, thus Evading most of the explosion. He was 3', 45lbs of death.

ElrikDarkstorm
03-20-2008, 06:36 PM
my favorites are

Nethosak Bloodaxe,minotuar fighter/ cleric
Elrik Darkstorm,Half elven Ranger/mage
Quindevlin-elven thief
Gellorn -human bard
Arrack Ironbender-Dwarven Fighter.

Those are my favorite charcters that i have played so far,i had so much fun with all of them i dont know if i can ever top playing with them with another character.

The Silencer
03-21-2008, 10:28 PM
One of my best Characters was a Gnome TH/ILL Named (yes this is his name) Baldernsnatchgqilindlthorpnstring The Mighty Copper Dragon Concocter, The Great Army creator and Fast runner, Sole Sorvivor of the skeleton attack, Elemental Creator and Tumbler, Orge Sticker, Great cat Scarrier, Pit Faller, Sleeper, The Great Entertainer and Zapper of the Theif who stole from me,Inn Burner, Keg Owner, Taddpoler,OrcKiller, Worg Bait, Orc Entertainer, Long Runner, Gate Climber, Head Bumper, Wall Climber, Cannon Foder, Night Floater, Monster Squisher, Zap Zap all Dead, Conquer of the 9' Hook Thingy, Lucky13, and Eagle Rider:eek:.... and he's only 4/3lv. Some extra skills he has it Juggling,Tumbling and Tighrope Walking. He has a Wand of Lighting,Rg. Feather Fall and Pro +1, Bracers Ac2 and (Pieces) of 3 Tomes. Ali is NG and his best friend is a Ranger, 5th Lv they were the only 2 to survive these dungeons...:cool:....

rabkala
03-21-2008, 11:10 PM
I loved long titles for my characters. I will have to look for my old notebook.
My longest title was for a Cleric called AMFM, which ran two pages. I remember the start...

A.M.F.M. , Baron of the beat.
All muscle and fabulous meat.

On second thought, I am sure it sounded better when I was twelve. :lol:

boulet
03-22-2008, 08:47 AM
* trying the imagine a twelve year old lich *

nijineko
03-23-2008, 04:20 AM
hmmmm, i would have to say that my current "favorites", which to me means the ones i'd currently play first if given my choice of any of my wide array of favorite characters, are either Meo of Golden Valley, or Path of Ursailia and Prii the Twice-Forsaken.

Meo is a druidicly-trained lad who through streneous application of himself, learned how to shapechange without becoming a druid or learning any magic at all, arcane or divine. (and legally to boot!) He and his mentor had many philosophical discussions about the nature of power and freedom and responsibility... many of their disagreements boiled down to a variant of, "why should i subject myself to another power, and take up the druidic oaths-even to one as grand and glorious as nature obviously is-when i have the power to be free within myself?"

He still favors his druidic training, even to this day, and is even widely known as a healer, shapeshifter, and druid, despite his choices in life. He even managed to maintain friendly relations with the druidic circles of his mentor's association after his mentor passed on. He is actually a native to the Golden Valley region, although few know that he was the misshapen warped and half-melted looking child that they cast out for his physical differences and uncanny appearence.

He has an uneasy relationship with the villagers, tolerated because of his long association with the druid, he still gets pleasure from freaking them out about his in-depth knowledge of them and their doings. A minor revenge that he can't seem to bring himself to stop taking. After all, who suspects the dog that steals sausage from the floor in the tavern, or the cat lounging on the haystack, or the bird nesting in the tree?

Path of Ursailia and Prii the Twice-Forsaken travel together, and are pretty much a two-for-one arrangement. Path hails from a lost and almost completely forgotten legendary city of yore. And the grey elven community who built and maintain and live there, likes to keep it that way. Grey elves are noted for being reclusive and exclusive even for elves, barely tolerating other elves, let alone the lesser races of mortals. Of course, not all are like that, but unfortunately, his particular grove of elves is extremely so.

Unfortunately for him, because his great-grandfather commited the heinious and unforgivable faux pau of not only siring a child on a grugach-practically worse than siring a half-elf, at least the lesser mortals play at civilization, unlike grugach-but then keeping the child and finally marrying the grugach-wife!! His grandfather lives with the grugach, never spoken of in polite society, and his father, the spitting image of his great-grandfather, returned to proper society to redeem his family's honor. Alas and woe, his child (Path) bore the stigma his heritage... in all ways but one, a proper looking grey elf: violet eyes like a gem of the rarest amethyst, well formed, comely, straight, strong and tall, long and shining golden waves of hair... and with a tell-tale ravenlock that betrays his heritage. In shame, his father changed his name-abandoning his family name-and became a reclusive researcher and scholar.

Growing up alone and socially ostracized, even by those who would take pity on the poor (effective) orphan child, lest his socail stigma attach to them as well; Path rapidly learned to be quick and self-sufficent. He also learned to avoid the torments of all the other children, few as they were. His dream was to become an Arcane Archer, the highest and most honorable of the various castes in his world. These elite warriors defend the city walls and stand in glorious review before the entire city come the times of festivals. (Not that anything has gotten close enough to the city for it to need defending in hundreds of years....)

To his dismay and turmoil, he was completely unable to learn magic the way it was taught. The wizardly training simply did not take with him, and of course, there is only one proper way to learn or practice magic in a rigid grey elf society. The teasing and subtle torment only became worse as his fellow aged became proficient with magic and used it to further torment him while not revealing themselves. The ceremony of graduation where all were called upon to show their skills and be judged for what caste they would enter was an exercise in sheer torture and humilation. At first, cautiously praised for his skill in bow, he was then called upon to dislpay his magical abilities. A mean-minded fellow graduate used a minor cantrip to pull away his hair restraint revealling his ravenlock. Pubilically derided before all, he was finally judged a failure, and commanded to enter the Outliers Caste-the lowest and least honorable of all Castes. In his public disgrace, he vowed that he would never utter another word, unless it was to successfully cast a spell, qualifying him for the High Archer Caste.

There as an Outlier he learned the ways of the forest, and the ways of nature, honing his skills in keeping any from ever finding the city, and trading with the privledged few who were aware that elves lived somewhere in these mountains, even if they knew not who or what they were. The Outliers, he discovered, are the ones who do the actual grunt work of sullying their swords in the flesh and blood of the lesser races who incroach upon the mountain stronghold. In this fashion, he finally met with his grandfather, as the "primative" grugach were the majority of the source of the trade the city needs. His grandfather began training him in the physical arts of the High Archers, having been one himself. The unique calligraphy pens that teach the hand the shape of the bow being among one of the secrets of the High Archers, Path also became an accomplished calligrapher and scribe. His grandfather kindly did not discuss magic with him.

While he kept his vow of silence, through writing and listening he learned much more of the world, and different ways of seeing and thinking about things, eventually taking up posts to the outmost regions of their territories, watching the other races, and learning. His grandfather became well pleased with him, and a sorce of comfort and solace in his life, where before he had had none. Still he stubbornly held to his vow. He received from his grandfather, and ancient knife, long used by elves to carve wondorous bows, said to contain much magic for any who were skilled in the arts of the boyer.

Path focused on honing his skills as an archer. He became a master boyer, and a master archer. Eventually he took up the least desired position in the Outliers Caste. He actively interacted with the other races, often far from home, seeking new arrangements of trade needed by the city. He used the opportunity and studied anywhere and with anyone who could increase his skill and knowledge of the bow. He adventures now, seeking any way to increase his skill. He claims to be the second best archer in all the world. When he is asked whom is the best, he writes in beautiful script this reply: I don't know, I have yet to find one. But, I can always hope.

Prii's story began long before Path was born. She was a warrior in the great wars that tore apart the various nations, completely erasing many, centuries ago. The love of her life was an elf with whom a torrid and passionate relationship was born among the ashes of war. She was utterly faithful to him and longed for the fleeting times they were able to share together. She was devastated when he cut off their relationship, claiming that she was infringing on his freedom, and that life was too long to be tied down to one person, no matter how passionate. A bit of her heart died that day. She threw herself into the war effort, streching her powers to the limit, taking insane chances, frankly hoping to die.

Yet the fateful day came when once again they met, and the passion had not died any, if anything, it was stronger than ever before. She railed against her self, but could not overcome that she had given her heart, and herself to him completely. Once again the romance between them was such that the bards sought to follow them, on the chance that they would meet. Even on the battlefield, they would call to one another of their love, inspiring each other and those around them.

Until the day that she found him in the arms of another, unfaithful to the last. In rage, she vented all the emotions of her spurned heart at him, and left for the battle. There she would not fight near him, but turned away and sought to breach the enemies lines headlong. And in that fateful battle, she broke through the enemy lines, and won a brief respite for her beleagered land, and found that he had died in battle that day. Desperately and bitterly regreting her harsh words being the last he had heard from her, and despite his unfaithfulness, she sought one to catch his spirit before it passed too far beyond and to bring it back.

His spirit did return... if only long enough to tell her that there were too many grand adventures in the afterlife to be bound down to just one woman. Weeping and utterly desolate, she fled. The tide of the war inexorably turned against her people, and she found herself one of a very few survivors fleeing for their very lives. Long she wandered the lands in disguise, unable to end her life-not only was such against her beliefs, but she could not stand the possibility of meeting him again in some afterlife-she sought out any other means that could meet her beliefs, and yet provide relief. She took the name Twice-Forsaken during this time. The ominous sound of it tended to ward off the casually curious.

At long last her quest brought her to the attention of a most unusual dragon... and upon earning his trust, found her answer in the ancient repository of the dragons wisdome and store of knowledge. Through a difficult and complicated ritual involving very careful timing and the acquisition and usage of very specific powers, she successfully abandonded her body-transforming, hiding, and protecting it-and learned how to inhabit the metal of blades.

The blade she chose and still inhabits is a certain blade which does in fact enhance the skills of a boyer. A blade originally owned by none other than her twice-loved, and by whom she was twice forsaken. She has hibernated the centuries away, subconsciously maintaining the powers which preserve her, briefly awakening now and again-mistaken for an intelligent magic dagger-an error of perception that she appathetically doesn't care enough about to correct.

One day she was woken by an outburst of pain and tragic loss, sufficently like her own to stir her curiosity, to awaken and stir, and join in the tribulations of her mute grey-elf holder, curiously with a most-un-grey-elf-like ravenlock, his pain as deep and turbulent as her own, if different; and the party with which he silently strives to overcome a tomb filled with horrors. Left without even corpses to bury or remove from the tomb, they press on determined to make the sacrifices of their companions meaningful.

silarion
06-14-2008, 09:19 PM
My favorite character was a CN Rogue named Lloric.

He survived a long campaign, the return to the Temple of Elemental Evil expanded considerably, and presumably lived to be an old man.

However, he was also controlled by a young and clueless gamer and did some dumb things.

Most notably:

When the other players were arguing/going to bed and not checking out the tip we had just received, young Lloric decided to go to the moat house alone, in the dark, without telling anyone. There he met a very young blue dragon who immediatly used his breath weapon. Being a rogue, he narrowly made the save with evasion and hid eventually making it home, collapsing at the feet of the Dwarven fighter, Ulfgar, with the exclamation, "dragon!"

One more, during the adventure, we encountered a deck of many things. Feeling lucky he drew a card, after which the DM simply spread a map out and said pick a place. Lloric did so, and the DM replied. You're keep is there. In the middle of a sheep field. We spent much of the adventure carting the entire temple of elemental evil's furnishings via teleport spells off to that keep, from the carpets, to the wall hangings, and benches, even a crazy coral throne that was strangley out of place.

He retired there, insinuating himself into the Cormyrian nobility, and building a large trading town around his keep.

Azar
12-11-2008, 05:25 PM
Grethek Gartooth for sure,3.5ed Chaotic Neutral 8th lvl (6th lvl Barbarian,2nd lvl Fighter) Goliath,I always pushing the limit with him. In the party I consider him the meat shield. So much has tried to been done to him, he almost was permantly into a dwarf, then he was turned evil for a short period of time but he was saved, he almost got rended in half by a rage drake, and he destroyed a whole bunch of flaming skeletons, man I don't think he'll ever die.

stryker7
12-11-2008, 05:35 PM
Some definetly great stories here... my fav. char was Kronk, the half-orc barbarian i actually adopted as a secondary char.... Through diff. means, his str. (his only real ability) grew to a 25 by level 9, and was known by the party to be the one to tackle foes on his own, doing so on many occasions, a white dragon at level 5, and a fire giant at level 8 were two of the most memorable, i will never forget those battle, and they may be what keeps me coming back to the table

1958Fury
12-12-2008, 07:18 PM
Well, I don't yet have a lot of PnP experience, but I can tell you about my favorite NeverWinter Nights characters. Some of these may make their way into PnP someday, or at least elements of them. Most of them started out as stereotypes, but grew into much deeper characters. I rarely write deep backgrounds in advance, and when I do the characters seem forced. Instead I tend to wait until I find out what the character's personality is going to be like, and retcon the background to suit. As far as favorite levels, that's hard to say, as computer game levels are so much faster than PnP levels. I don't remember what happened at what level, and the roleplay was so much more important than levels anyway.

Madeline Starkraven - Human fighter/rogue. Classic "crazy" type. She was once a member of an all-female pirate crew, nicknamed "Starkraven Mad" for her frenzied fighting style. She eventually turned against her captain (Merea Scorne) and they dueled to the death. Madeline won the fight, but was swept overboard and lost her mind. She heared voices, specifically Merea's voice. Madeline believed that Merea's spirit was living inside her and talking to her. Sometimes the Merea personality would completely take over. She became a heavy drinker, because alcohol kept the voices away. She also had a facial tic and a lot of funny catch phrases. All those shortcut buttons NWN has, I filled with text macros for her emotes and sayings. She was a lot of fun to play.

Dervish - Human fighter from Cormyr. She was the youngest of her siblings, and the only girl. Her mother died during childbirth, and so she was raised by her father and six brothers, all of whom eventually became soldiers. She grew up to despise all things feminine, which is why she went by "Dervish" (her real name was Priscilla, and her brothers called her "Prissy"). When she became a teen, her father remarried. Dervish's new stepmother did not approve of tomboyism, and kept trying to push Dervish into the ways of grace and beauty. Dervish got fed up and left home, so she could be herself.

Brynwyn Elswyth - Elf archer. I got tired of seeing the way other players always played their elves, all serious and Vulcan-like. I've always preferred the carefree type, the ones who dance in the moonlight and celebrate nature. So Brynwyn was my first elf, and she had a low Wisdom score, so I played her naive. She was a fun-loving free spirit, but she was also very gullible and tended to trust the wrong people.

Sillia Aylomen - Human bard. Sillia was a young music student, with a goofy sense of humor, including a love of bad puns. Sillia was a performer through and through, and was completely useless in a fight. But while she may have had poor battle skills, she was fun to play at all levels. (Computer RPGs are only kind to powergaming min-maxers, so it's a good thing that so many roleplay servers exist for NeverWinter Nights.)

Tao Xiang - Human red dragon disciple from Kara-Tur. My spouse collects Tarot decks. One of our decks is a sort of a trainer deck, and has descriptions on each card. I know some of the basic Tarot spreads, so using that deck it's really easy to give Tarot readings. So I created this character as an exotic fortune teller. It was a lot of fun giving in-character readings to other characters. (I didn't actually call it "Tarot" in game.) I would flip the cards in real life, and tell the fortune through her mouth. Her readings weren't particularly accurate, but that just added to the fun.

Ishcumbeebeeda
07-27-2009, 02:38 PM
I can't remember his level, or even his race now, but one of my favorites was my mutant neanderthal or half ogre (or perhaps half ogre neanderthal, which would explain why I can't remember which...) duskblade named Thak. He bled fire, and even though he had a decent int mod he liked to play dumb. It made some things easier, and it's what people expected. The reason he's one of my favorites was because he was just a character I threw together really quickly to play a "between games game" while we waited for the DM to get more plot together. I got to the session with him all rolled up and outfitted, but I'm terrible at coming up with names, so he didn't have one until after we started. I got into an altercation with a local, and wound up b***h slapping him, and the sound it made was "thak!" I then decided that was his name. His warcry later became "Thak thuk!" because that was the sound his axe made when he was pulling it out of your chest. He was also fond of the warning "Don't make me thuk you up."

This other one I haven't gotten to play yet, but he has many possibilities. His name is Baskal Kobara, and he's a 15th level (9th level Witch with a LA of 6) 3.5 character I made cuz I got bored one day. He's a two-headed-six-armed Goliath who was mostly raised by a Storm Giant. Because of a couple of feats and some abilities of his own he doesn't have an off hand, and he's one feat away from being able to hang from a tree branch while loading a crossbow and casting a spell.

Arkhemedes
07-27-2009, 03:40 PM
Wow, I sure wish someone had dug up this thread before I posted my favorite D&D character a couple of weeks ago...not realizing that it was in the SUPER HERO category! DO"H! :o

Oh well. Long story short (Don't feel like repeating everything I said there), my favorite character was a mage that went from being a 0 level slave to a 25th level total badass that could give Elminster a run for his money. His name, coincidentally was Arkhemedes.

Takatchi
07-27-2009, 04:16 PM
My favorite character comes from the single Best D&D Game Ever I ever played. It was not only one of the first that played through to completion, but was also my introduction to DMing D&D 3.0 games. To set it up, imagine a party of five players who start a game at level 4 and work their way up from meager adventurers looking for work, discovery, wealth and fame to level 18 heroes of the realm, backed by a king and recognized by a whole nation.

The following is a massive wall of text. Read only at your own discretion. Pardon my storytelling, I'm still a big noob. :P

The four PCs are Keira Boughstrider, a human ranger who was adopted and raised by wood elves; Brigon Dell (I think this name was supposed to be a pun?), a human fighter with a rugged cut, mecenary outlook, and a penchant for swinging around a huge battleaxe; Grigni Battlestout, a dwarven cleric of Moradin in practically every sense of the phrase; and my character, Rhaznodil Winterchill, a high elven wizard who was timid, soft-spoken, and all-around nerdy. We started out for various reasons in a small township that was plagued by small threats, the classic "you're all in an inn with a job posting board" that turned into epic adventure as laid out by one of the best DMs I've ever had the pleasure of gaming with.

Throughout the course of the game, the party developed as characters and as friends, since we all knew each other outside of the game. Being between 16 and 18 years old, we were all pretty heavy on the dork side and talked about our next D&D game at length, including the DM. At one point, I pulled the DM aside and talked to him about what I had in mind for Rhaz's future. Though largely lawful neutral, the poor elf had a close encounter with the wrong end of a poisoned arrow during a scuff with the Big Bad Evil Dictator in a very major plot point. This led to a very real fear for his mortality, despite living practically forever as an elf, and after he had acquired a necromancer's tome of forbidden spells he had been reading about a possibility for escape from most of those nasty death-inflicting things like arrows-to-the-face. He wanted to become a lich.

At this point, the DM confessed that stresses with RL and a general lack of plot devices meant he was probably going to be ending the campaign at the then-tender level 11. I really liked the direction the game was going, though, and thought ending it at that point would be a real bummer. So I made a suggestion.

Rhaz would become a lich, and in doing so, he would usurp the Big Bad Evil Dictator. See, Rhaz knew that the party was all Good aligned and pretty against this big evil force consuming the civilized world, but he also knew that the Dictator's forces were not just mindless hordes. The Dictator wanted to watch the world burn, but if such a potent weapon as his mighty armies could be harnessed, they could do great things - if in a much darker shade of black.

So, I tell you that story to tell you this one. I started writing material for the campaign, designing encounters, and running it by the DM. He continued to DM, and I continued to play, but every week I'd submit to him a packet of encounters, story, and suggestions that we would both run with when we got to talk together privately.

Rhaz and the party eventually took down the Big Bad Evil Dictator. The party was unaware, however, that their resident wizard had become a lich, thanks to several magic spells and their innate trust for their "sweet, nerdy elf." They literally would not suspect me, no matter what I did. Rhaz even gave Keira a favor, a shy proposal of his affection for her in the form of a heavily-bejeweled pendant (his phylactery). Story-wise, Rhaz had been in contact with the Dictator's evil second-in-command and had learned a valuable secret; the massive invading army was headed by demons and the Dictator was a figurehead, a zealous cleric of something much larger, and using supposed "divined" information, Rhaz led the party - the only force on the planet that could defeat the demonic Overlord - to the Abyss where they would confront the true evil. They triumphed and destroyed the gate the evil outsiders had been using to bring in reinforcements, leaving only a corrupt human nation that was once enslaved to cruel demon masters behind. The party could then return to the king of the "good" nation to tell him the enemy leaders had been defeated and a decisive strike could shatter the remaining military resistance and free its citizens.

Then Rhaz revealed himself to be the true mastermind of the last major story arc. After having manipulated the party into defeating the evil Dictator and using them to uncover the demon gate as well as destroy it, Rhaz was now in charge of the greatest military power ever known. The nation was not smashed on the rocks or thrown into anarchy by the demons' defeat; the Dictator's second-in-command had organized the opposition to the demonic presence and, after Rhaz freed them, swore fealty to the lich.

The final battle was a mix of epic Big Bad Evil Guy litanies about how "evil" was merely a different path of life refuted by Heroic Good speeches about how good men could not simply stand by while evil took place, and the party fighting Rhaz. He won out, but as he was telling them he would not kill them (because he wasn't, in the end, a soulless monster, he was merely a monster) the fighter rose and used his last staggered action to flay off Rhaz's remaining hit points and dusted him. They hastily returned a message to the king and the two nations sparked a bloody conflict that would last several years after that epic battle, but the game ended on a kind of "Epilogue" note and we never did pick back up (including Rhaz's resurrection and displacement of the good king utilizing his unsurpassed mastery of spells and magic), even though we talked about it after the release of the Epic Level Handbook.

Everyone was very surprised to find out that from about level 15 to 18 (which was almost 6 months of playtime), I was writing the whole thing, and they were even more shocked to see Rhaz play such a part. They all agreed that it was pretty epic, and enjoyed that final twist.

Rhaz is probably still my favorite character of all the D&D characters I have ever had the chance to play or create. He became a pretty big DMPC, yes, but in the end he had nothing more than what I had earned for him over the course of our adventures. But it wasn't just him that made him my favorite - it was all of us, and the experience itself that made it all memorable.

Arkhemedes
07-27-2009, 05:02 PM
Hey Takatchi, I don't doubt that you picked Raz as your favorite character. It's a good story and it sounds to me like you had a blast with the campaign. There is some very cool stuff in there for someone of "limited" experience. I've known a lot of very experienced players who have never come with anything as imaginative and well thought out as this. And don't knock your writting either. It wasn't bad and I enjoyed reading it.

One question though - Raz became a lich at 11th level? Under normal circumstances a mage is required to be at least 18th or 19th level to become a lich unless they become a vassalich, which can be done at much lower levels but requires the assistance of a real lich. Any comments on this?

Takatchi
07-27-2009, 05:07 PM
One question though - Raz became a lich at 11th level? Under normal circumstances a mage is required to be at least 18th or 19th level to become a lich unless they become a vassalich, which can be done at much lower levels but requires the assistance of a real lich. Any comments on this?

According to the MM 3.5 you only have to be a caster of 11th level or higher to craft your phylactery, and that's always how I've known it to be even back in 3.0. Still, as you can imagine, all of us being friends and working on this almost like we would a collaboration on a novella or comic book, the DM was pretty lenient with things - I mean, I recall the fighter's axe being a +5 keen flaming greataxe of speed, so I think that alone breaks the rules a little bit. But it was awesome. ;)

And thanks, I do like writing, but I always feel I write too much.

Arkhemedes
07-27-2009, 05:19 PM
Hmm...I'll have to take a look at the 3.5 MM. I've only been a player of 1e and 2e and I'm only now getting into 3.5. (Sad huh?) I find it rather disturbing that they lowered the requirements of being a lich so low. Seems like it makes it much less of an accomplishment to become a lich and greatly lessens the danger of fighting one.

(Grumble, grumble, grumble...)

Takatchi
07-27-2009, 05:25 PM
Hmm...I'll have to take a look at the 3.5 MM. I've only been a player of 1e and 2e and I'm only now getting into 3.5. (Sad huh?) I find it rather disturbing that they lowered the requirements of being a lich so low. Seems like it makes it much less of an accomplishment to become a lich and greatly lessens the danger of fighting one.

(Grumble, grumble, grumble...)

I know it's getting a bit ahead of you AND off-topic, but the rules for item creation (including phylacteries!) in 3.5 require a lot of time, a chunk of XP, and a chunk of change. You lose out on a monstrous amount of XP trying to make a phylactery - I think it literally costs you a level any time you try to make it before level 15, and you can delevel from making it, as it was explained to me. Not only this, but upon becoming a lich, you are effectively treated as a character FOUR levels higher - when it comes time to divvy out XP, the DM has to take this into account when calculating your party's average level and cut your portion accordingly, making it entirely possible people would out-level you. So...yeah. But still! Undead spellcaster! It's awesome, right? :D

Arkhemedes
07-27-2009, 05:51 PM
Hey, the same thing holds true in 1e and 2e, it takes a lot of time, and money making the phylactery and creating the lich potion. And if it works, there is no maybe about it, you DO lose a level. And you're not treated as a character four levels higher. Trust me you're not making me feel any better about the merits involved in becoming a lich. In fact you're only making it worse!

Yeah, becoming a lich is great. And it's a great accomplishment, but apparently not as great in 3.5 as it is in 1e or 2e. :(

Takatchi
07-27-2009, 06:12 PM
Well, in D&D 3.5 they've done what they can to allow people to play "monstrous" or otherwise "non-player character" races, but most of the rules allowing you to do so come across as so complicated most DMs and players never bother to learn them. The benefits to being a lich are titanic, but chances are, it is not the goal of even 10% of all the spellcaster players in D&D 3.5, unless they're playing in an evil campaign.

Arkhemedes
07-27-2009, 06:36 PM
Yeah, that is one of the things I find very appealing about 3.5 - the versatility and the many options available to players. In fact, there are only a few things I don't like about it. I'm just about to start running my first 3.5 campaign in the next couple of weeks, and I'm thinking, that for those few things I don't like about it, I'll just revert to the more familiar rules of 1e and 2e that I do like. There has been a lot of debate over the years about which version is better. But I always say, as a DM, use what you like about a system and don't use what what you don't like and quit wasting time arguing about it. Its your world and your campaign, so go with whatever works best for you and your players.

And btw, it appears that I've strayed WAY off topic here. So let me just say, "Wow, Raz is a cool character!" :biggrin:

tesral
07-27-2009, 10:26 PM
Yeah, that is one of the things I find very appealing about 3.5 - the versatility and the many options available to players. In fact, there are only a few things I don't like about it. I'm just about to start running my first 3.5 campaign in the next couple of weeks, and I'm thinking, that for those few things I don't like about it, I'll just revert to the more familiar rules of 1e and 2e that I do like. There has been a lot of debate over the years about which version is better. But I always say, as a DM, use what you like about a system and don't use what what you don't like and quit wasting time arguing about it. Its your world and your campaign, so go with whatever works best for you and your players.

My game is a blended model. It isn't any given edition. It is simply my game. A D&D/AD&D/AD&D2ed/D&D3.5/and plenty of my own work edition of D&D.

Arkhemedes
07-27-2009, 10:43 PM
My game is a blended model. It isn't any given edition. It is simply my game. A D&D/AD&D/AD&D2ed/D&D3.5/and plenty of my own work edition of D&D.
As well it should be. When you have the knowledge and resources to make it your own game, why limit yourself.

To be honest my campaigns are the same way. Ever since 2e came out I always used a combination of 1e and 2e and then made adjustments of my own. Over the years I also experimented with rules of my own design and they weren't always the same. I would change them for different kinds of campaigns depending on the amount of realism I wanted, etc.

Now that I'm starting up with 3e, which will be the basis, I'm certain I'll still be using some 1e and 2e rules as well as rules of my own design along with them.

tesral
07-28-2009, 06:17 AM
Now that I'm starting up with 3e, which will be the basis, I'm certain I'll still be using some 1e and 2e rules as well as rules of my own design along with them.

Good luck with that. 3e has some good elements that frankly should have been included in AD&D, like positive AC. It was even considered but not used. One of the dumber moves among a galaxy of dumb moves by TSR.

I've always had a degree of house rules. They got codified after the 2ed core rules CD gave me access to the books in RTF format. My latest edition is an update of that.

CEBedford
08-01-2009, 02:57 PM
My favorite character is also my most short lived although he's made unfortunate campaign appearances since his untimely demise. He was a young wizard named Omyrlin and he had an unlucky encounter with a Rod of Wonder.

While fleeing with a near-artifact tome of untold necromantic power he managed to shrink himself to a foot tall and then turn himself permanently to stone.

He's popped up in various campaigns as an "intricately carved stone statue of a wizard holding a rod aloft and clutching his spellbook in his off-hand." The first time he was found in a giant's loot and quickly tossed away, assumed worthless. The second and third time he was sold for around 50 gp. Each party unaware that the statue was holding a very poweful evil book.

Vodka
08-01-2009, 03:14 PM
I think of my plethora of short-lived characters my favorite has to be Neran Rykker. He was a lawful evil Aasimar fighter who was raised by a bunch of religious zealots and had quite the irrational hatred of "lesser" races because of it... which just so happened to be just about everyone.

He was a magnificent bastard, not afriad to take advantage of his high CHA stat and charm the pants off anyone he came across, and often did so to manipulate people to achieve his ends. He was of the "why do it yourself when you can get people to do it for you?" mindset. Well, unless it came to matters that would earn him fame and glory. Fame + glory= more adoring minion types. I had the framework for an elaborate plan out for him, involving cults and manipulating whole towns and the like.

Unfortunately, the game never got far, so the plot never got past its framework. I did get to torment my friend's tiefling bard quite a bit though. That was fun.

Wulvaine
08-03-2009, 04:31 AM
A lot of my 'favorite characters' have to be based on backstory and personality concepts, just because I haven't gotten to play them yet (I compulsively design characters, even when I'm playing one... and already have a backup).

The first one that springs to mind is Tycho the Thousand, a changeling rogue/druid hybrid on the waiting list to be played should my current character die (hopefully not!). He's a con man who travels under various names and faces, often conning the same victims multiple times under different identities.

When I start playing him, I think I'm going to talk to the DM about the way he's introduced. I think it would be great if the other players and characters in our party don't know he's a changeling at first, and he tries to run a con on them before his identity is revealed to them. I think it would be a fun surprise for them. :)

Ishcumbeebeeda
08-03-2009, 01:48 PM
A lot of my 'favorite characters' have to be based on backstory and personality concepts, just because I haven't gotten to play them yet (I compulsively design characters, even when I'm playing one... and already have a backup).

It's good to know I'm not alone!

RandomAct
11-10-2009, 03:30 PM
I probably spend more time then I should creating backstory for my characters; most of the time the other players never even hear it. Most of my favorites though, were created as NPC's in my adventures as DM. By the way, somebody please tell me, is it a bad thing that without exception all my facorite characters (PC's and NPC's alike) are villains or at least evil?
I don't know if I can come up with just one favorite, but the character I am crafting right now is very fun so far. His name is John 'darkstar' Devlin, and he is going to start as a lvl 1 fighter. The nickname comes from the local rumor that when he was born, a supernova appeared in the sky, and an orcale claimed that this was an ill omen for Devlin, which meant he would die on the day of his 28th birthday. Unfortunately, the oracle was right, and John, having found out about his fate at the age of 20, decides that there is no point in living a normal life if he is just going to die in eight years anyway. He takes up a life of crime, and soon has racked up several robberies, assaults and murders, either for gangs or his own personal gain. This is where the character gets a bit more dynamic. John isn't an evil guy at heart, he is just angry at his fate, and is taking his anger out on the world, so when he dies (pending DM approval, fingers crossed), he will return as a ghost; having been given a second chance by the gods to make things right. He will be given one week for each year of his life, and if he has made sufficient amends for his crimes in that time, he will be allowed his eternal rest. Otherwise, he will essentially be sent to hell. I'm hoping that this character will be as fun for the other players to have around as he will be to play, but first I need to convince my DM to let me inact this plan (he is currently dubious about including a ghost as a PC).

Dr.Dead
11-11-2009, 09:52 PM
My favorite character is a elven ranger as CN alignment

D20 Xanatos
11-27-2009, 01:28 AM
Let's see. I've had so many it's difficult to narrow them down...

My favorite NPC originated from an inability to get the players into a single party (A problem I'm sure we've all had). He never got a character sheet but he became infamous with forcing the party into unfortunate circumstances where they had little choice but to work together.

His name was "Gary" and he was the "Drunken Mage". If ever I had difficulty uniting the party, I would simply tell them that they awoke in the same room together and the last thing they remembered was an awnry drunk and a bright flash of light. Gary would always teleport the party to the same location when necessary.

This location would usually be in the middle of an Orc camp, a goblin infested dungeon, a corrupted empire's dungeon, a lich's tower, or even an evil dragon's lair. This forced the party into realizing that the only way to survive was to stick together and fight their way out.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It'll take me a bit to think of my favorite player character though...

timelesstyrant
12-01-2009, 03:02 PM
I can't really think of an NPC that has been my favorite, mainly because it has both been so long since I played, and yet too early for me to pick a new NPC for a fav. As for my own characters, my favorite would have to be Zane, my human Paladin.

Manes
02-01-2010, 08:38 AM
I had a quite a few Characters over the years, but of them my favorite was Manes, a Human Convict Gladiator (Neutral) in the Dark Sun campaign world.
He thought he was a thief (well he was a thief but not the class thief) and had some thieving skills as per the character kit, but he was a terrible at it and would almost always get caught, which led to him having to fight, (un)fortunately he was a terrific fighter and would kill his enemies quickly, but that would result in legal troubles etc... he also was a compulsive gambler, which usually was why he was broke all the time and trying to steal.
All in all his constant desperation and low charisma (7) mad him extremely fun to play as he was always trying to stay one step ahead of the law while bungling his way through armed robberies.

Wulvaine
02-02-2010, 11:54 AM
My favorite character so far is Merloc, a tiefling psion. He was a pretty cool character with a well-fleshed-out backstory and everything, and I was very fond of him, but the reason he was my favorite is that I was ridiculously lucky with him. For some reason, I rolled an unbelievable number of crits while playing him. One night, in one particularly memorable battle, I actually rolled a total of 14 crits in under four hours, a fair number of them strung together in rows. There was even a time when I was forced by an enemy to roll twice and use the lower result, and I rolled two 20s in a row.

Elf Lover
06-06-2010, 02:41 AM
I have 2 favorite characters.

The first was a female noble elf female started out as an Archer and had a DM that bent the rules and let me duel class and become an Archer/Priestess. She worked the whole game on becoming the champion of Solonor Thelandira. Her name was Athyna Krystylis. Well towards the end of the game she was married and became Athyna Gryffindor. Her profile is still on Obsidian Portal.

The second is a character I am currently playing. She is a Drow elf Cavalier named Sabalice Arabund. She is a follower of Corellon Larethian and Henali Celanil. She was very difficult to run at first and it took me awhile to get a feel for the character, but now I love her over both of the other two I am playing now.

Nish
06-21-2010, 05:46 PM
Hands down my favorite character is Brock (Brock of Mount Jarstool). He started as a barbarian, worked his way through fighter and ranger, started to get some ranks in heal (no magic to start in our world). Eventually when he hit level 12 my DM gave me the option to take a level in cleric and after that switch out whatever levels I wanted to for cleric. I switched all 11. After that point Brock stayed divine caster and eventually became the Head Priest of Pelor on the material plane. In the world our DM was running the material plane was cut off from the rest and the religions didn't exist. My character created Pelor's faith on the material plane from the ground up. He eventually got to level 27, mostly cleric a couple of home brew prestige classes having to do with some oaths he swore regarding fortitude and mercy. We played this game for a long time and he is by far my favorite. I have others that I have played and really enjoyed but none so much as Brock Head Priest of Pelor.

TheDarkestOfAngels
07-16-2010, 05:51 PM
I've had a number of favorites over the years, but some have stuck out over the long term.

Lavinia Daysinger was a 3rd edition D&D character arcane trickster. Although highly intelligent, she is wildly emotional, occasionally naive, and exerts very little control over her actions., but not necessarily all the time. Her intelligence makes her far more calculating than her child-like attitude lets on and she had enough dual knife-wielding skill combined with magical firepower and know-how to make her every bit as lethal as she doesn't appear to be. She was an absolute blast as a character.

Later, in 3.5 edition, I also made (more than once) a character by the name of Sai Ket, who was a noble elf born into extreme wealth with the heritage of the angels and celestial beings. Her morals are profoundly good and focused against evil and she often sees herself as a champion of the cause of good, using powerful magics to vanquish the armies of evil that prevade the world and wish to corrupt it. Her exact idea of what's good and evil tends to be whatever seems the most good thing to do at the time (she is chaotic good) and she takes great care to make sure the innocent come to no harm. On a personal level, however, she has no brain-mouth filter and her idea of good versus evil is sometimes just as profound as a rich white kid's idea of life on the streets, only much much worse. She has little actual empathy for those she feels are beneath her, which at best are anyone other than herself. She clearly sees herself as a superior individual. I suppose this could be another example of a racist elf, hating on anyone not an elf but she feels that racism implies intolerance - which is a trait she lacks.

A character idea I've only been able to use on the table once was during a one-shot pathfinder game with a character named "Bork", who admittedly is modeled a lot after a combination of minsc from baldurs' gate and the Tick, from the (very awesome) animated series. (If you don't know what that is, do yourself a favor and do a few youtube searches.) In the one game I used him in, he's a grapple-heavy barbarian that fights with his fists and occasionally a large tome. When he fights, he prefers to wrestle them down and, failing that, resorting to his "spells". He is a barbarian in terms of his character class. Nothing like a giant half-orc screaming SPOON! during a charge, ending with his 'magic missle' attack of a punch to the face.

Another favorite of mine is one I explicitly designed to be the opposite of sai ket - a drow that was a former slave that escaped to the surface after the house that owned her was destroyed. While she was always a priest (but not always a slave) of lolth, she found it to be her divine mission on the surface to do lolth's bidding, so she joined an adventurer's party based entirely around the lies she told them. (She disguised herself as a standard elf and lied about her origins). For most of the time she was with the party, she perfectly seemed as though to be a true corellon's champion of good (to whatever extent) until the final battles, when rough magical combat briefly revealed her a number of times. Behind the scenes, she's ruthless and just as evil as her kin is famed to be. By the end of the game, they may have caught glimpses of her actual body, but never once did they ever learn her real name, even after the final campaign session.

The most recent favorite of mine is Dameon Azraiel in the pathfinder campaign. He grew up in a small town with his twin brother. He's a fey-blooded sorcerer with a quagmire-level sex drive who decided to go adventuring purely to increase his sex appeal and also because his town ran out of new women and he didn't want to be around when the children were discovered to be his. He never wears a shirt and his theme song is "I'm bringing sexy back" by ricky martin (basically, the character's inspiration is heavily of duke devlin from Yu Gi Oh Abridged Series by Littlekuriboh).

I have had other favorites over the years, but these really stand out in my mind.

KananMN
07-20-2010, 03:04 PM
My favorite has to have been Kanan (yeah.. go figger eh? ;p). He was a 2nd edition drow ranger/mage who started out in a Ravenloft campaign and (we were teens and the evil/dark was kewl at the time) picked up several interesting cursed items (Sword of Arak was one, vampiric type dagger that granted damn near immortality the other.. flaking out on it's name) that we sorta eventually started ignoring the negative aspects of. At one point he was part of a party, but ended up leaving it (group mostly broke up) and doing a bunch of mostly solo adventures (traveling companions were NPCs) escaping Ravenloft once for a while. One thing the DM did that makes me cuss at him to this day is having an NPC that Kanan sorta took under his wing be the villain from a previous campaign at a younger stage in his career. During that particular campaign, we killed him at least 3 times.. I was getting so pissed about seeing him come back again. So when I finally twigged that this young thief I was "adopting" was Bonespur.. omg.. i was sooo laughingly pissed at him. I ended up getting so many toys, many fairly useless, especially to him (Staff of the Woodlands from some 1st ed module where kilt a nutso druid), but it was sorta fun. His death was annoying as hell. He got brought back, but played with a Deck of Many things and got alignment changed over to CE. I ran a short adventure (it was intended to be longer than the single night it ended up being) to redeem him and power him down from the 11/13 that he was at that point back to where he had been a lot of fun to run. I've only gotten to run him a time or two since. I still have like 3 or 4 versions of his character sheets in with the others I keep.

One that was fun to run, but I was sorta glad when he got kilt (I don't recall exactly how, but I did end up making a new character for that particular campaign) cuz he was a nasty lil booger. A NE elven rogue, he was one I did a pretty job getting into the head of and roleplaying well, but man.. I don't really like being an evil character and thinking like them... yeah.. i try to get into the role and didn't like him or me at points when I played him. The last time I'd used him, we killed some priests of St. Cuthbert bcs they'd pissed off the evil enchantress the rogue was working for. When he found out how petty the offense was, he bugged out.

hiro darkblade
02-13-2011, 04:09 PM
my favorite character is (of course) a 2nd edition ranger Drow
made him back when i was really into Drizzt and stuff but still a fun guy to play
heres the general character sheet (general start of campaign strength at his strongest he's like a level 15) he was part of my first campaign (an OP campaign in which the DM was extremely tough on everyone) i loved it
Hiro Darkblade Drow Ranger
spec. enemies: trolls, terrain: forrest
STR: 18/66
DEX: 20
CON: 17
INT: 15
WIS: 16
CHA: 13
LV: 4 age: 116
THAC0: 16 AC: 2
chaotic good ranger of mieliki
general equipment: elven chainmail -1 (self crafted years ago as an armature)
greater pwifwafwi (enchanted to be able to exist above ground)
2 long swords
elven longbow
proficiencies
long sword (spec.)
two-weapon fighting (imp.)
bow
n. weapon
light fighting (reverse of blind fighting)
animal training
cooking
direction sense

secondary skill: blacksmith
traits:
ambidexterity
double-jointed

flaw:
OCD (severe)

as a young drow in a society where only the strong survive, he didn't make the cut. one night in a training excersize some drow were to kidnap him leave him on the surface for three days then retrieve him. they never found him. taken in by a young ranger, who had good experiences with a certain drow ranger we all love, he took in this (like 5 years old in elven years) drow and taught him the trade of being a ranger and a blacksmith. excelling in both of these he became so engrossed in the stories of drizzt Do'Urden that he emulated him and mimic-ed his fighting style, but having no access to scimitars he simply use two long swords instead. But he had a key flaw that always worried his master. whenever he failed to do something to a certain level of perfection or better he felt it necessary to start over and try it again, even in the heat of battle. this resulted in many instances of him chasing a goblin into the woods and almost being devoured by trolls. But after years of him going through the same motions over and over he eventually became a master in the arts of fighting and blacksmithing at an extremely young age.
Now he makes a quiet living in shadowdale as a blacksmith using his old master's fort as a smithy, but always ready for adventure.
of course he still suffers of his OCD