PDA

View Full Version : Custom Avatar Images

Riftwalker
10-17-2007, 08:43 AM
I have an avatar image I like to use on various forums, but users cannot upload their own avatars so I can't use it for penandpapergames.com. I realize that allowing avatars to be uploaded could allow someone to select an offensive one (or one that's just too big, tacky, or whatever) and that no one wants to have to police avatars. However, most people on this forum are (hopefully) mature/tasteful enough that I would surmise that it wouldn't be a problem. Thoughts?

Skunkape
10-18-2007, 09:01 AM
I'm cool with custom avatars, but I'm not the admin. Although, there have been a few contests in the past that have awarded the winners with the ability to add custom avatars, so Farcaster might not be inclined to allow customs for just that reason.

Moritz
10-18-2007, 11:15 AM
I believe Skunkape has it. The way I understand it is that Custom Avatars are for those that are 'special' (like the olympics) (AKA Moderators) and for certain awards. I can totally see it being abused by the immature; and I surely don't want to have to police avatars on top of all the other stuff.

Skunkape
10-18-2007, 01:36 PM
I believe Skunkape has it. The way I understand it is that Custom Avatars are for those that are 'special' (like the olympics).

He said special! Heh, heh!;)

PhishStyx
10-18-2007, 01:58 PM
Yeah, I feel spatial.

Moritz
10-18-2007, 02:25 PM
Funny, I feel hungry. Oh wait, I've not had lunch today... time to eat.

And yeah, we're more like "Special Ed" around here.

Riftwalker
10-18-2007, 02:31 PM
Perhaps there can be some sort of... quest... the reward for which would be the ability to add a custom avatar?

(Rolls a Diplomacy check...)

spotlight
10-18-2007, 05:57 PM
Actually, as I see it, no need for custom avatars. Just more and bett..er, OTHER, choices. Prezenting one to Farcaster would be a likely choice. After all, that would ovoid the 'offending others' problem completely.

By the way, would not that encourage members in the monthly contests that once graced this site? For a couple months that I recall. I mean, having the chance to chose a nicer (in quotes) avatar?

rabkala
10-19-2007, 05:29 PM
By the way, would not that encourage members in the monthly contests that once graced this site? For a couple months that I recall. I mean, having the chance to chose a nicer (in quotes) avatar?

Seconded. It could encourage participation in the site.

I don't think that would be too much of a problem.

Farcaster
10-21-2007, 03:32 PM
Perhaps there can be some sort of... quest... the reward for which would be the ability to add a custom avatar?

Seconded. It could encourage participation in the site.

Good ideas :) What kind of contest do you think we should do?

Riftwalker
10-21-2007, 06:07 PM
Good ideas :) What kind of contest do you think we should do?

I guess that depends on the point of the contest.

If I were an administrator of the site, I would try to come up with a contest that helped the site or the site's purpose in some way. I guess whether it would be a one-time thing or a repeatable process is up in the air. Is the privilege of a customized avatar something that anyone should be able to get after completing some process (such as at least 25 non-spam posts or posting an article) or should it only be available to a select few?

Another example --if the site needed a new logo or some banner graphics, one such contest could be to come up with some and whichever wins the vote becomes the new logo/banner and the submitter of that logo/banner gets the customized avatar privilege. On the other hand, I suck at graphics, so I probably wouldn't be able to win this contest. :rolleyes:

Riftwalker
10-28-2007, 03:19 PM
Just curious if this has fallen off the radar or if was decided to be something that won't be pursued.

The Wandering Bard
11-07-2007, 01:21 PM
I have to agree, the monthly competition would increase member participation. Thats always a good thing.

I like the # of posts Idea, but remember, some people might think thats unfair do to the PBP section of the website that has become very popular. (thanks for allowing me to run a game on the site Farcaster. So far I have heard only postive feed back on the site.)

I like the graphics and banners idea as well. We could also reward it for most popular forum each month. or most popular thread.

I will continue to think on this one.

Riftwalker I think it was decided that a custom avatar is a gift or an honor.