PDA

View Full Version : Sports & Tournaments in the Forgotten Realms

Dimthar
10-14-2007, 07:19 PM
I am designing a "Major Tournament" for a Forgotten Realms campaign (that I will run someday), so I am collecting ideas on which "Sports" or "Events" should be included.

Fame, Greed, Pride and Power seems to be the major drivers for PCs since love and self-sacrifice are not in fashion ;) (Comments on this in a different thread, please), so I was thinking that an event of this type will give them a chance to prove themselves.

Also suggestions on where to locate the Colosseum / Stadium.

Unfortunately, this plot seems to be more appropriate for the physical classes (Fighters, monks, rangers and rogues) than for the spellcasting ones.

I was thinking in:
1) Archery
2) Lance - Mounted
3) Sword - On Foot
3) Weight Lifting
4) Running: 500m and Cross Country
5) Horse Racing: 1/4 Mile & Very Long (Saw the movie Hidalgo?)
6) Swimming (Lake Size)
7) Bull Riding
8) Javeling

I was thinking in restricting the Horse Racing and Lance only to Nobles

Malruhn
10-14-2007, 08:59 PM
With archery, there are MANY different things you can do.

Standard bullseye shooting.
Wand shooting
Indirect fire (footbow or composite of at least +2 STR required)
Apple shooting (ala William Tell)

There are several others, but I will have to wait until tomorrow when I can get to my books to get the info.

For the spellcasters, you might want to have strategy games like chess, checkers, Dragon Chess and the like. Unfortunately, this would be a sonovagun to play out (snorefest!).

Digital Arcanist
10-14-2007, 10:23 PM
There is a carnival/faire that comes around in the Forgotten Realms. Mages come from all over the world to compete in magical contests and buy and sell secrets and components. Then there is the posturing, revelry, and excess usually practiced by magic-users.

I can't remember the name of the carnival/competition but it is talked about in the Elminster books and the Harpers Series.

There is no reason you can't have magical contests for the arcane. You can have them disspell magic, test their arcane knowledge, see whose offensive magics can penetrate heavy magical and mundane defenses, and see who can cast the most powerful divinations. There is also the one-on-one events they can practice but then your PC's run the risk of getting disintegrated but then again the rewards can be high.

Riftwalker
10-15-2007, 01:09 PM
For the spell-casters in the party, The Complete Arcane has a section on arcane events and describes a few things that may be of interest on pages 175 to 179, including:

* Rules/guidelines for formal mage-duels (both lethal and non-lethal)
* Tournament: The Spire Perilous (The first spell-caster to retrieve a flag from the top of a tower wins)
* Tournament: The Grand Illusion (Contestants try to outdo each other's illusions)
* Tournament: The Wizard's Menagerie (Spellcasters show up with a collection of creatures. The one with the most exotic/dangerous creature wins.)
* Tournament: Dweomerlist (Single-elimination series of duels between mages.)

You might use these as a starting-point for different ideas.

Digital Arcanist
10-15-2007, 07:43 PM
I like the menagerie idea. You could do a lot of things in preparation for the contest. Some in the party may procure a magical item while the mage gets an oddly colored mundane magical creature or perhaps a newly discovered creature from a demiplane or some long-forgotten creature now extinct on the Prime Material plane. You can also have the mage learn from the ranger about how to train the creature.

Just remember...You gotta catch'em all!!!

rabkala
10-15-2007, 10:40 PM
Just remember...You gotta catch'em all!!!
(Groan's loudly)

Make it your own world! Dream up a sport all your own, and sell it like its huge. I have a sport called disc racing in my world. It's like rollerderby on the water, if that makes any sense. It can be your personal touch on the Forgotten Realms. Like Quibage (?) in Harry Potter or Blitzball in Final Fantasy X, discovering the new sports craze could be half the fun for your players.

Digital Arcanist
10-16-2007, 01:13 AM
Quiditch is the hockey-like game from Harry Potter.

Don't forget to have an eating establishment and beverage purveyor be the official drink and eatery of your games....never hurts to advertise....

Red Dragon Inn...I choose you!!!