PDA

View Full Version : Midnight...

SideReal
09-19-2006, 09:16 AM
So... I've been reading all of the Midnight campaign setting books and I was wondering if anyone else out there has the same fascination with this campaign setting that I have?

It's dark. It's gritty. It takes the focus off of money / gold and replaces it with a heavy role-playing focus. Magic has a *reason* for being rare.

Tell me what you think (pro's and cons) please. I'd like to see if I'm out on a limb here or if other people like this setting.

nightshade
09-30-2006, 12:37 PM
I've recently played in a Midnight campaign which we quickly dropped. I think that the world and setting is GREAT but quickly came to the conclusion that only extremely experienced players (not just people who know the rules but those that can think about more than just a sword or spell) can play in it. Since the bad guys have all the magic and the players don't have any wands of healing our players just kept getting their characters killed over and over.

fmitchell
09-30-2006, 02:47 PM
I'm in a Midnight campaign now, and it's working great for our group. Some have played only D&D for a few years, others (like me) have been out of gaming for a while and thought d20 was just a funny-shaped die.

While my DM might have a more comprehensive list, here are some tips to make Midnight work:

The DM and players should remember they're small fry in a big, nasty world. The DM should start small (e.g. knocking over a troupe of goblins), and players should play smart.

Players do have magic on their side ... not the earth-shattering spells of other worlds, but a well-placed Prismatic Spray or Cure Light Wounds can make the difference between victory and death. Rely, also, on Covenant Items and Heroic Paths.

At least the way our DM plays it, there's a fairly well organized resistance to the Shadow, that most peasants aren't told of (for obvious reasons). The players should make contact with them, and exchange their labor for a safe haven.

More generally, don't take the invincibility of Shadow at face value. Our group of seven have killed legates and orcs, even a gargoyle through a lucky break. (Our rogue removed some nasty poison from a legate's trapped footlocker, and after one of his mystic visions realized it would weaken the Gargoyle.) Players need to think tactically and strategically, and DMs have to allow fate to place weapons in the player's hands.

MortonStromgal
10-17-2007, 01:53 PM
I like it I think, but its too close to Tolkien while not being close enough. The Heroic Paths were neat at low level but I think it would become less fun at higher levels (I have never played past 5th level or so though). I really wish they had dumped the gnomes though, gnomes in this quasi middle earth setting really bug me :confused:

squidyak
11-19-2007, 01:44 PM
It's a good setting, but one problem I've always had was with the lack of currency. Bars, taverns, and other such places simply couldn't exist without some form of money. Barter and labor only go so far.

fmitchell
11-19-2007, 02:12 PM
It's a good setting, but one problem I've always had was with the lack of currency. Bars, taverns, and other such places simply couldn't exist without some form of money. Barter and labor only go so far.

Happily, in Isrador's paradise, there are few bars and taverns, since the peasantry doesn't travel and they're too busy working to engage in drunkenness.

Plus, peasants gathering can only lead to malcontents beguiling the foolish away from the Way of Shadow. You don't want the orcs burning down your town, do you?