PDA

View Full Version : Scion Series

Athmet
10-10-2007, 03:51 PM
Just wondering if anyone out there has played the Scion series of games from White Wolf yet. I'm setting up a game for some of my friends and just want to know what some people, other that me and my friends, think of it. What is the game play like? Is there anything we should lookout for?

Dimthar
12-26-2007, 07:59 PM
Just wondering if anyone out there has played the Scion series of games from White Wolf yet. I'm setting up a game for some of my friends and just want to know what some people, other that me and my friends, think of it. What is the game play like? Is there anything we should lookout for?

Not that the idea is original to Neil Gaiman, but I will suggest reading American Gods, Anansi Boys and the Sandman to get a stereotype idea of what does it mean to be the Son of a God.

Mulsiphix
12-26-2007, 08:24 PM
I was considering buying this material with some of my Christmas money. I too would be very interested in what others thoughts about playing this game. Right now it is between Scion or Exalted for me.

MortonStromgal
01-17-2008, 09:38 PM
Have them, have not played them

Mulsiphix
01-17-2008, 11:39 PM
Just haven't gotten around to it or you've skimmed and aren't motivated to make time for it?

MortonStromgal
01-18-2008, 11:23 AM
A little of both, my current group is not super hero genre fans (ironic since they all love vampire/werewolf/mage). It seams ok but it just doesn't excite us.

TAROT
01-18-2008, 07:39 PM
Still percolating its way to the top of the To Be Read pile.

Mulsiphix
01-18-2008, 08:54 PM
So has nobody here actually played this game yet? This I find very hard to believe. I figured Drohem would have something to say lol :p

Drohem
01-18-2008, 10:04 PM
Scion is on my list! ;)

The price tag, even for a used copy, has been the main deterrent. If I can find a good used copy cheap, I'll add it to my collection.

Mulsiphix
01-18-2008, 10:22 PM
I'll rest easier tonight knowing it is on your list. For a second my world was shaken at its very core when I considered the possibility that you hadn't noticed Scion, or even worse did and had no plans to check it out for yourself. Whew, glad to hear otherwise. I'm sorry that I ever doubted your compulsive completistness :o

nijineko
01-19-2008, 09:40 AM
i am oddly white-wolf phobic.

Mulsiphix
01-19-2008, 11:46 AM
i am oddly white-wolf phobic.Why? They're a pretty solid company and their products, generally, are very much offer a great bang for the buck. Well as far as oWOD is concerned anyway. I like what they're doing with EVE Online since they merged with CCP and I look forward to seeing, doubt I'll play it, the WOD MMO they've announced.

magic-rhyme
01-20-2008, 10:50 PM
It's an excellent game overall. The combat system is too crunchy, however. If your players are mature enough for you to do so, you might want to run any combat "cinematic style" (GM freestyle) instead of using the official Scion combat system.

nijineko
01-21-2008, 10:17 AM
the reasons are involved and detailed. basically it boils down to this: i actively fight the forces of evil on a daily basis. when i go to relax and play a game i want a change of pace. playing a game where evil and darkness is so prevalent fails to appeal. besides, amber is even better a combat system in my personal opinion.

Mulsiphix
01-21-2008, 10:37 AM
Yeah but Amber is diceless and Scion isn't right? How can they be anything alike? One is a game system and one is practically a 100% RP system. What am I missing? (by the way I've picked up an Amber book in my latest eBay lot :D)