PDA

View Full Version : Player Registry

Farcaster
09-18-2006, 10:43 PM
What do you think of the Player Registry feature? I've tried to make it as easy to use as possible and to use profile fields that are most relevant to finding compatible gamers. I'd like to hear what you all have to say about it. Are there any fields you would like to see added? And different ways you'd like to be able to search? Good, bad or indifferent, I want to know.

ronpyatt
09-22-2006, 09:50 PM
Say I find several (9) players that are LFG and Science Fiction fans, and I'd like to contact them all.
How feasible is a Multi-PM based on a Registry search result?

Farcaster
09-22-2006, 10:34 PM
Its doable, me thinks, though regular users are limited to a certain number of receipients that can be on one message, which right now is 8. That is an interesting idea though. How about this -- once your search is done, you can put a check mark on the people you want to contact (up to your limit) and then hit a "PM" button and it will auto address all?

ronpyatt
09-23-2006, 02:06 PM
Perfect.
This might be asking too much at this point, but I wonder if it is doable across multiple pages and multiple searches? When the Player Registry count gets large the search results might get to be more than a single page.

Farcaster
09-23-2006, 02:51 PM
That's not quite as easily done, but I can set it up so that you may choose to view up to 100 members at a time.

Timothy Floyd
08-23-2007, 09:51 PM
are there any D@D players near Southaven MS?

Timothy Floyd
08-23-2007, 09:55 PM
Hi, are there any D@D games being played on the weekends near Southaven MS.?

PhishStyx
08-23-2007, 10:11 PM
Hi Tim,
I think you want the forum I linked below. Glad to see you here.

Seeya,
PhishStyx:)

http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5

Freejack
01-07-2008, 09:30 AM
Can you add a "Favorite RPG" search feature? I'd like to be able to search for just Shadowrun players and/or Paranoia players. I might branch out further but it'd be nice to be able to filter more effectively.

Carl

cplmac
02-05-2008, 02:16 PM
It seems like the time that I tried to do a search with certain criteria, it did not seem to use the setting that I had picked. Instead of giving me a list of people that were looking for D&D, it showed me everyone in the milage limit, even if they did not list D&D as a choice. Is there a way to have the first search criteria be the game type you are looking for?

nijineko
02-07-2008, 01:33 AM
i would like "online game availability" as a search criteria, if it's not already there. that way we can search for people who could play via online during the time frames we are looking for.

Mulsiphix
02-07-2008, 04:27 AM
i would like "online game availability" as a search criteria, if it's not already there. that way we can search for people who could play via online during the time frames we are looking for.There already is an option to Find Online Games. Take a look at it and see if there is anything you would like added ;)

nijineko
02-07-2008, 07:37 AM
whoops, must have missed that. ^^ thanks

Jonathan Kwiat
02-22-2008, 09:03 AM
What do you think of the Player Registry feature? I've tried to make it as easy to use as possible and to use profile fields that are most relevant to finding compatible gamers. I'd like to hear what you all have to say about it. Are there any fields you would like to see added? And different ways you'd like to be able to search? Good, bad or indifferent, I want to know.

If I read posts from people can display options be set so that if they are "near" me it shows up bold?

I mean in the upper right hand corner of their post box it tells me many things. One what IM clients they are on. Cool.

It also says, on my browser, the STATE they are from. But I just like the thing to light up if they are in New York City.

I don't want to diss anybody's posts just cause they are in Florida but in truth I like getting to know local players via their posts. What they post everywhere not just in the player finder database.

Do you already have this set up as a search tool when I surf the threads?

Take your time answering. If you are not sure what I mean just email me.

Thanks,

Jonathan Kwiat

Maelstrom
02-22-2008, 09:19 AM
On the left side above each post there is a section that says "Distance to member". This is below the name of the poster. Are you recommending that get bolded if they are close?

nijineko
02-22-2008, 01:41 PM
i think he want's some sort of highlight feature with a variable radius setting. just guessing. ^^

Jonathan Kwiat
02-22-2008, 02:02 PM
On the left side above each post there is a section that says "Distance to member". This is below the name of the poster. Are you recommending that get bolded if they are close?

Maelstrom, yeah. How it is tagged different does not matter to me. I do not want what I read to be affected, the font or avatar because

I should pay attention to good ideas even if they come from the banks of the KISS-A-ME river but I'd like a heads up when people are near my zip code.

Be Well,

Jonathan

>Edit Kiss-A-Me is a crack at a gentleman that likes to use crstyal balls to electronically roll dice, who posts on this board, and who lives in Florida.

Farcaster
02-22-2008, 05:03 PM
If I read posts from people can display options be set so that if they are "near" me it shows up bold?

Done. I did some quick modifications so that now if someone posting is within fifty miles of you, the "Distance to Member" line in the post information will be shown in bold.

Jonathan Kwiat
02-23-2008, 09:56 PM
Done. I did some quick modifications so that now if someone posting is within fifty miles of you, the "Distance to Member" line in the post information will be shown in bold.

Thank you Sincerely, I'll keep my eye on it from now on.

nijineko
02-23-2008, 11:50 PM
very nice! and such quick work, too. =D ask and ye shall receive.

Jonathan Kwiat
02-24-2008, 09:02 PM
very nice! and such quick work, too. =D ask and ye shall receive.

Yeah, but I see I still need to work on how to set the display modes because some of my stuff seems to be posted out of order on when I posted it to the forum.

The feature works great. Whenever somebody claims to be near New York City it shows up. That's great and if they want to go and make up a zip...

gee maybe they need to play the roleplaying game "Paranoia."

-Jonathan

Kiss-A-Me crack: Kissamee river aka Florida aka the swamp Piers Anthony is from.

Used in

'Well Piers Anthoy I am glad you made so much money now you canna Kiss-A-Me in my tuckus because although I read plenty of your crud when I was a kid, a child, that still don't make half that stuff you wrote any good.'

boulet
02-28-2008, 01:16 PM
Just a question here. Maybe it's been asked before...

What is the meaning of the colors of the little men icons on the player registry map ?

For instance I'm white, but there are yellow and red icons too...

Farcaster
02-28-2008, 02:36 PM
You know, I really meant to put a legend on there. Sorry about that. So, here's the breakdown:

http://www.penandpapergames.com/images/map/man.png= Player (Based on preference choice of player or either)

http://www.penandpapergames.com/images/map/man-red.png= Prefers to Game Master or is LFP

http://www.penandpapergames.com/images/map/man-new.png= New Player Profile in the last week.

http://www.penandpapergames.com/images/map/blue-dot.png= Campaign Invitation Posting

boulet
02-28-2008, 05:16 PM
Thanks a lot ! My intuition was that it was related to the LFG/LFP thingy. It makes sense.

nijineko
02-29-2008, 12:09 AM
very nice. a legend would be a great idea. ^^

GoddessGood
02-20-2009, 01:27 PM
Is it possible to filter or sort the player registry searches by last activity date? It just seems like it'd be useful to be able to see players who might actually be checking to see if any games are open.

Farcaster
02-20-2009, 03:02 PM
Is it possible to filter or sort the player registry searches by last activity date? It just seems like it'd be useful to be able to see players who might actually be checking to see if any games are open.

It might be, but more importantly -- I love the new avatar ;)

GoddessGood
02-20-2009, 03:15 PM
Heh, thanks. I had one before that had a similar picture with the caption "Smart cat will educate you!" on it, but I can't find it anymore :(

Farcaster
02-20-2009, 04:14 PM
He's kinda got the whole Kitty Potter thing going on there with those glasses.

spotlight
02-21-2009, 10:53 AM
Kitty Potter? Er. umgh. hick. gack. NOW, rothflmao..... I like it also.
--- Merged from Double Post ---
durn... now my belly is sore... farcaster, you haint made me hurt like that before. And I still like th' photog.

yukonhorror
04-10-2009, 05:05 PM
for campaign invitations (or vice-versa searching for a game), you should be able to search for the system used. Have a drop down box with a list (GURPS, D&D 4e, homebrew) as a subcategory to genre (different list for fantasy and horror for example).

Also have this for player search. If I have a campaign idea, it has best match, but they are all generic categories. It would be nice if there were an 8th category for system. Some like playing 4e, but others hate it with a passion.

sys64738
07-06-2009, 10:25 AM
It's nice, but being limited to sending PMs to only 1 person at a time and only being able to send 10 PMs every 6 hours is going to make it a PITA to find a game.

Farcaster
07-06-2009, 10:59 AM
It's nice, but being limited to sending PMs to only 1 person at a time and only being able to send 10 PMs every 6 hours is going to make it a PITA to find a game.

That restriction is to prevent spammers from joining and sending off a bunch of PMs to people. If you send me an email from the email address that you used to create your P&PG account, I will lift the restriction for you.

Nord_drache
10-07-2009, 10:25 PM
The registry I'd say works well, as it linked me up with one player though I'm hoping for more.

The only issue I have that I don't know a solution for is the radius distance. In our part of Ontario there are quite a number of lakes and such, so that if someone is within a 50 mile radius of you, they could be 80 miles away by road . . .

Hopefully our players have the smarts for their local geography.

Jim

mrken
12-21-2013, 01:47 PM
The place on my profile that shows the last 20 people who have visited my page has people listed there who have not been on the site in some cases for over a year. Why are they still listed when others are current?

jpatterson
12-22-2013, 11:25 AM
Many people, myself included, often sign up for sites, maybe are active there a month, then get caught up in IRL stuff or forget about the site, and might not come back again for months or longer. That's what I did years back, and now I've been running a weekly chat game here since 2011.

mrken
01-01-2014, 01:03 PM
So you are saying, it is the same people who keep visiting my profile? There are hundreds of new visits to my profile, yet I have people who were the "last" visitor, but they have not been on P&PG site in a year. It looks like something is broken. Makes it hard to understand the usefulness if it's broken. It is an excellent resource for understand what is going on and how to use that information if it would just work. That information is a big reason I frequent this site.

nijineko
01-02-2014, 11:21 AM
agreed. also, i would like the player registry to show activity in a general sense. logged on within the last week/month/year sort of granularity. it would also be nice if we could sort the player registry by said activity levels, so that all the spam and dead account float to the bottom of all searches.