PDA

View Full Version : 'ello!

Kylana
09-25-2007, 10:49 AM
I've just recently moved to VA and am now sadly without a RP group. Myself (24) and my fiancée (30) are hoping to find either a group or fellow players in the Northern Virginia area (the closer to Warrenton the better).

PhishStyx
09-25-2007, 11:31 AM
Hiya, there's a lot of Northern VA folks here, but I'm not sure how often they visit. You might need to go digging in the player registry for them a bit.

CelestialBarbarian
09-25-2007, 12:19 PM
Hiya, there's a lot of Northern VA folks here, but I'm not sure how often they visit. You might need to go digging in the player registry for them a bit.

Yes, I'm here in NOVA (as everyone calls it) and running a game on Saturday nights. When a new member joins in my area I get an email about it, which is how I knew about you. We're playing a high-level 3.5 campaign; a new character would start at 20th level. I've been running this particular campaign for more than 5 years (thus the 20th and 21st-level PCs). We're not planning to switch to 4E so any 3.5 books you have will remain valuable for the foreseeable future. We have a mixture of storyline, roleplaying and combat. Contact me if you're interested and I'll send you more information. Otherwise, best of luck! :)

Wastelander75
10-11-2007, 02:12 PM
Well if you are still intresed I am running a game on Sat afternoons in Chantilly.We have 3 players right now and you are more than welcome to join in on us.

CelestialBarbarian
08-18-2008, 05:23 AM
Well if you are still intresed I am running a game on Sat afternoons in Chantilly.We have 3 players right now and you are more than welcome to join in on us.

I'm sorry for the much-belated reply! I didn't know before how to get email notification of replies on threads so I didn't know until just this minute that you replied. How is your game going? I'm still running my Saturday night game in Fairfax. :)

cplmac
08-18-2008, 09:17 AM
Hello and welcome. Looks as though you have struck gold already. Good luck with the game. If possible, post the action of the game on a thread. There are lots of us here that like to read how other games are going.

CelestialBarbarian
08-18-2008, 09:28 AM
Hello and welcome. Looks as though you have struck gold already. Good luck with the game. If possible, post the action of the game on a thread. There are lots of us here that like to read how other games are going.

Thanks for the reply. I don't know if he's still running that game or not. For me, I posted an ad here 10 months ago and only this week got a reply. It turned out, unfortunately, that I'd mislabeled my own game as online when in fact we meet in person, and the responder wanted an online game. :redface: Maybe now that it's listed correctly I'll get more response. :) I do write up summaries of my games, but I wonder how many people would really want to read them here? :confused:

cplmac
08-18-2008, 09:55 AM
Some of us regular posters would be interested in reading it. It is almost like reading a book. It also helps to give us something to do inbetween getting to play ourselves.

CelestialBarbarian
08-18-2008, 10:05 AM
Some of us regular posters would be interested in reading it. It is almost like reading a book. It also helps to give us something to do inbetween getting to play ourselves.

Hmm. Well ok, thanks for letting me know. It might be hard to come in on the middle though. I've been running the campaign for 6 years now. :eek:

cplmac
08-18-2008, 04:02 PM
I can only hope to get a game to run that long. Have you checked out the game on here by tesral? He has been running it for something like 30 years.

Chi
08-18-2008, 10:09 PM
Welcome glad people have found you so quickly! Good luck on your rpg journey let us know how it goes.

tesral
08-19-2008, 12:46 AM
I need less country in the country. Another great gamer too far away. (sigh)

CelestialBarbarian
08-19-2008, 03:13 AM
I can only hope to get a game to run that long. Have you checked out the game on here by tesral? He has been running it for something like 30 years.

I haven't. Does he post about it somewhere? I started playing in 1978 when I went away to college, so I'd have to have been running the same campaign continuously since I started to have been running a campaign for 30 years. I do still use the same campaign world, though, if that's what you mean. I started that in 1978 too, I think in December when I went back home for Christmas break. :)

Welcome glad people have found you so quickly! Good luck on your rpg journey let us know how it goes.

Well I haven't found anyone from Pen & Paper Games yet. :( But thanks for the welcome! :)

I know what you mean! I've run across people who sound like a good fit for my campaign, but they live far away. Even locally, the DC metro area is so big with the worst traffic in the country most years (one year Los Angeles "beat" it for having the worst traffic, but usually DC ranks first--or last) so getting from here to there in rush "hour" traffic often makes it impractical to join. The evening rush lasts from about 3 PM until about 9 PM, if not 9:30. It's a horrible mess! :eek: I also find it's hard to get players for high-level much less epic-level play.:(

OK, I went and added two campaign teasers to my Nador: Volencia Rising campaign invitation. Let me know what you think. If you find them interesting, I'll add more later. Thanks! :)

nijineko
08-20-2008, 06:47 PM
we would love to read about the epic exploits of your long term campaign characters! glad you made it to the boards, make all of your players join too. ^^ and welcome! (belated...)

=D

CelestialBarbarian
08-21-2008, 06:32 AM
we would love to read about the epic exploits of your long term campaign characters! glad you made it to the boards, make all of your players join too. ^^ and welcome! (belated...)

=D

Thanks! You can go read the two campaign teasers now at the Nador: Volencia Rising invitation thread. When I have time--I'm prepping to teach a new class that starts in two days--I'll update the third and add it. As for my players--if they come here then I can't ask my design questions anymore without giving away things they shouldn't know! :biggrin:

CelestialBarbarian
08-29-2008, 08:31 PM
OK, for those of you who said you'd like to read about the adventures in my campaign, I updated the third teaser so that it bring the campaign right up through the end of our last session. I'll try to remember to post the weekly updates I do hereafter. :) If you're reading, please let me know what you think. Thanks!

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
08-29-2008, 09:04 PM
Hello and welcome to the boards. I lived in Fairfax Virginia for years and still have many friends there. I miss the weather... yep, you read that right.

Thoth-Amon

CelestialBarbarian
08-29-2008, 09:17 PM
Hello and welcome to the boards. I lived in Fairfax Virginia for years and still have many friends there. I miss the weather... yep, you read that right.

Thoth-Amon

Hi! Thanks for the warm welcome! :) What led you to switch coasts, and why do you miss the heat and humidity? :confused:

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
08-29-2008, 09:38 PM
Hi! Thanks for the warm welcome! :) What led you to switch coasts, and why do you miss the heat and humidity? :confused:
Pops was a Colonel and he was transferred to the Left Coast. The heat and the humity never really bothered me, at least not as much as 6 months of 100+ degree weather in Southern California. That gets old after a while. Give me wicked storms any day, and when you cant, just a change in weather is nice.

Thoth-Amon

MuslixtheMighty
08-29-2008, 10:03 PM

Anyone up to moving to Vermont or the New England area?

CelestialBarbarian
08-29-2008, 10:03 PM
That's too bad about the Colonel marching you to the left coast. I've never been that far south (actually I was in San Diego as a kid but I don't recall the temperature as uncomfortable) but the heat and humidity here really get to me big time, and right now our AC is out, for oh, the third time this summer, and apparently won't come back any sooner than September 5. So right now I'm particularly displeased with the weather. I miss Denver, where the low humidity made it possible to live comfortable without AC. :mad:

Anyway, you don't have to stay there now, do you?

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
08-29-2008, 10:44 PM
I'm up for Vermont, New England, or Virginia. I have nothing holding me here. If a good job presented itself, i'd move.

Thoth-Amon

CelestialBarbarian
08-29-2008, 10:57 PM
I'm up for Vermont, New England, or Virginia. I have nothing holding me here. If a good job presented itself, i'd move.

Thoth-Amon

Sorry if I sounded unfriendly. I'm very cranky today between the lack of AC and my interim dean who doesn't know the procedures dragging me through endless appeals by a former student who should have gotten only one appeal. She probably should have failed my class, like she did when she took it with another instructor, but I'm too generous and gave her a D, and now she's whining her way to a C. So I'm just in a foul mood. I'm sorry.

I miss Denver. I loved the dry weather and unlike here there you could actually drive around the metro area. DC has the worst traffic in the country most years. (Occasionally LA traffic gets a worse rating.) At times like this, I wish I had real fireballs, but then I suppose someone would just get a golem to put me down. ;)

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
08-29-2008, 11:00 PM
Sorry if I sounded unfriendly. I'm very cranky today between the lack of AC and my interim dean who doesn't know the procedures dragging me through endless appeals by a former student who should have gotten only one appeal. She probably should have failed my class, like she did when she took it with another instructor, but I'm too generous and gave her a D, and now she's whining her way to a C. So I'm just in a foul mood. I'm sorry.

I miss Denver. I loved the dry weather and unlike here there you could actually drive around the metro area. DC has the worst traffic in the country most years. (Occasionally LA traffic gets a worse rating.) At times like this, I wish I had real fireballs, but then I suppose someone would just get a golem to put me down. ;)
You didnt sound unfriendly. On the contrary, you came across as friendly.

Thoth-Amon

CelestialBarbarian
08-29-2008, 11:09 PM
You didnt sound unfriendly. On the contrary, you came across as friendly.

Thoth-Amon

Thanks. :) The way I'm feeling at the moment, a golem probably should put me down. :mad:

tesral
08-30-2008, 02:10 AM
Thanks. :) The way I'm feeling at the moment, a golem probably should put me down. :mad:

Your day in the barrel, we understand.

CelestialBarbarian
08-30-2008, 02:31 AM
Your day in the barrel, we understand.

I've never actually heard that expression before, but thanks. This thing with the dean and the student appeal have just been dragging on for weeks.

cplmac
08-30-2008, 09:27 AM

Thoth-Amon

Maybe we will be lucky enough that you can find something in the Pittsburgh, PA area. Then you can get in on the Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth game that we are getting a group started for.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
08-30-2008, 11:06 AM
That would be great. I havent played that module since it was first released. I love the classics.

Thoth-Amon

CelestialBarbarian
08-30-2008, 11:45 AM
Maybe we will be lucky enough that you can find something in the Pittsburgh, PA area. Then you can get in on the Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth game that we are getting a group started for.

Back in the 1980s a buddy of mine who I met through D&D just loved the Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth and used to rave about it all the time. I don't think I've ever actually seen it though. Did Wizards update it to 3rd Ed, or are you just converting it yourselves? Or are you playing AD&D? :)

cplmac
08-30-2008, 10:24 PM
No, this is the AD&D second edition (2E) non tournament version. This has an whole wilderness part to navigate before you actually get to the Caverns. No converting needed.

CelestialBarbarian
08-30-2008, 11:53 PM
No, this is the AD&D second edition (2E) non tournament version. This has an whole wilderness part to navigate before you actually get to the Caverns. No converting needed.

Oh, so did TSR re-release the module in 2nd Ed? Because when my buddy used to rave about it, TSR hadn't published 2nd Ed yet. :) I've never played it, although I've seen it, and I don't recall if I ever knew what it was about. Are you going to play or DM?

P.S. Have you seen my reply to your nice compliment over at my invitation thread? :)

cplmac
08-31-2008, 07:26 AM
Oh, so did TSR re-release the module in 2nd Ed? Because when my buddy used to rave about it, TSR hadn't published 2nd Ed yet. :) I've never played it, although I've seen it, and I don't recall if I ever knew what it was about. Are you going to play or DM?

P.S. Have you seen my reply to your nice compliment over at my invitation thread? :)

Appearantly they must have released it in a couple of versions. I have only seen the 2E one that I have. I know it was originally made for one of the Cons originally. From what I understand, it was just the actual Caverns then. Like I said, the version that I have has a whole wilderness part added to it. You actually have to find the entrance to the Caverns.

I will be the DM. I did play the fighter, Flemin, while over in the Persian Gulf in 1991. That was when I first played AD&D 2nd edition. What can I say, I was hooked. Too bad you aren't closer, you could get in on the group that we're getting together.

CelestialBarbarian
08-31-2008, 04:17 PM
Appearantly they must have released it in a couple of versions. I have only seen the 2E one that I have. I know it was originally made for one of the Cons originally. From what I understand, it was just the actual Caverns then. Like I said, the version that I have has a whole wilderness part added to it. You actually have to find the entrance to the Caverns.

I will be the DM. I did play the fighter, Flemin, while over in the Persian Gulf in 1991. That was when I first played AD&D 2nd edition. What can I say, I was hooked. Too bad you aren't closer, you could get in on the group that we're getting together.

Thanks! Yes, it's too bad. I know one professor who lives in PA and drive to Fairfax to teach, although I'm sure how often he's actually on campus. I wouldn't want to make that drive though. :eek: