PDA

View Full Version : My Obligatory Introduction

Riftwalker
09-09-2007, 06:27 PM
Greetings,

I'm in my late 20s, living in the Washington DC area.

I'm new to PnP role-playing but have always been a fan of CRPGs (such as the Neverwinter Nights and Baldur's Gate series), and via exposure to some of those I've "branched out" into learning about the PnP stuff as well. A couple years ago I bought the D&D 3.5 PHB, DMG, and MM1, and became interested in some of the supplements, buying a couple every few months. (I've found that the scope of a CRPG's capabilities for character customization have never really satiated my appetite for the breadth and complexity afforded by the D&D PnP system which is many ways is quite creative.) Over the last couple years I've ended up with a few books: PHB2, DMG2, Complete Arcane, Complete Mage (I've always had a soft-spot for casters), Epic Level Handbook, Psionics Handbook, Libris Mortis, Exalted Deeds, Vile Darkness, and the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting.

While the 4th Edition probably restricts the applicability of many (if not all) of my books, I am interested to see what's changing, particularly since I've heard they're doing away with prestige classes and revamping wizards such that their spell system isn't 100% Vancian.

My only PnP experience was with a group of all-new players (and a new GM) playing a Palladium campaign that (in retrospect) was a horrible idea, since the party was a mixture of good and evil characters and after a few sessions the PCs were fighting each other. (A more experienced group probably could have handled/managed this, or would have foreseen the outcome and decided not to run a party like that.)

So, in many ways I'm a beginner and in other ways I know a thing or two.

Anyway, I'd like to join a small local group with players around my age. (I found the search tool at the top and have already contacted one player. Hopefully something comes out of that.) My preferred game/setting would be D&D 3.5 / Forgotten Realms, simply because there's less I'd need to pick up and therefore wouldn't be a complete beginner.

So, um... hi!

Grimwell
09-09-2007, 07:23 PM
Howdy! Welcome to PnPG!