PDA

View Full Version : Home Made Spells

Ed Zachary
09-03-2007, 02:10 PM
As some of you probably know by now I prefer playing Arcane Spellcasters. Like most players we couldn't find everything we wanted in the core books. Some people bought more books, some created their own source material, and some did both.

As a group we tried not to veer much from the core rules with out custom spells, so most were very similar to existing spells, or were Lesser or Greater versions of them. I'm going to start posting some of our custom spells here and would like others to do likewise. I'd also like to get some commentary if you think they are too powerful, too weak, just right, or don't belong.

Existing spells are in black (as a reference), new ones in blue.

Ed Zachary
09-03-2007, 02:15 PM
True Seeing [A5, range 120 feet]

Greater True Seeing [A8, range 400+40/Lev feet] As True Seeing, but greater range.

True Invisibility [A8] Same as Invisibility [A2] but more powerful. If opponent uses True Sight [A6], make contested roll (Will Save vs Will Save). Lower level detect spells will not detect.

True Illusion [A9, duration 1 Hour/Lev] Same as above, but allows all Illusion spells cast to work as above.

Ed Zachary
09-03-2007, 02:18 PM
Lesser Globe of Invulnerability [A4] Blocks all third and lower level spells.

Globe of Invulnerability [A6] Blocks all fourth and lower level spells.

Greater Globe of Invulnerability [A8] Blocks all fifth and lower level spells.

Ed Zachary
09-04-2007, 05:08 AM
Heal (D6, range: touch) cures 150 hp max.

Harm (D6, range: touch) inflicts 150 hp max.

Mass Heal (D9, range: 25+5/2L ft) cures 250 hp max.

Mass Harm (D9, range: 25+5/2L ft) inflicts 250 hp max. This spell scared an epic party I DMed for more than Mord's Disjunction.

shilar
09-04-2007, 09:37 AM
I think you've got the balance just right. Nothing to high or to low. I used to do this kind of thing too. We would mix spells a lot to get more interesting effects. One of my favorites was a mix of fire ball, sleep,and permanency. Giving us stasis bubble (A9, range: 25+5/2L ft) affects 5d6 hit die worth of creatures with the sleep spell. All affected beings are traped in a glass ball until the ball is broken.

Ed Zachary
09-04-2007, 07:30 PM
I think you've got the balance just right. Nothing to high or to low. I used to do this kind of thing too. We would mix spells a lot to get more interesting effects. One of my favorites was a mix of fire ball, sleep,and permanency. Giving us stasis bubble (A9, range: 25+5/2L ft) affects 5d6 hit die worth of creatures with the sleep spell. All affected beings are traped in a glass ball until the ball is broken.

That's an interesting spell, I think I'll steal it. But more on the routine side...

Bear's Strength (A2, Strength +4)
Bull's Endurance (A2, Constitution +4)
Cat's Grace (A2, Dexterity +4)
Fox's Cunning (A2, Intelligence +4)
Owl's Wisdom (A2, Wisdom +2)
Eagle's Splendor (A2, Charisma +4)

Bear's Strength-0 (A0, Strength +1)
Bear's Strength-1 (A1, Strength +2)
Bear's Strength-2 (A2, Strength +4)
Bear's Strength-3 (A3, Strength +6)
Bear's Strength-4 (A4, Strength +8)
Bear's Strength-5 (A5, Strength +10)
Bear's Strength-6 (A6, Strength +12)
Bear's Strength-7 (A7, Strength +14)
Bear's Strength-8 (A8, Strength +16)
Bear's Strength-9 (A9, Strength +18)

starfalconkd
09-05-2007, 07:19 AM

Doesn't having casters be able to up their spell DCs by nine (in the case of a spell that increases casters spellcasting attribute) damage game balance? Cast with a greater extend rod (inexpensive to make) these spells could last quite a while (if the duration is still one minute per level).

Farcaster
09-05-2007, 11:47 AM

The lesser versions of the Bear's Strength spell seem okay, but anything above +8 seems like it is too much. At each level above 2nd, it outperforms every other spell that augments strength out there. It also outperforms any other spell that grants bonuses to hit. In the end, you're giving a warrior (or anyone else) a +9 to hit and damage. That's pretty huge. And despite the fact that this spell doesn't give any other advantages like Righteous Might or Tensers Transformation, I'd still say it was a bit out of balance.

InfoStorm
09-05-2007, 12:28 PM
Here's a quick copy/paste of a spell for you:

Meat Puppet
Necromancy [Evil]
Level: Clr 2, Sor/Wiz 3
Components: V, S (DF)
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Short (25' + 5'/2 levels)
Targets: One corpse
Duration: 1 minute / level
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

As the battle rages, you call forth dark energies to cause one of the fallen to rise up again and fight on.

Description: This spell is similar to Animate Dead in that it animates one corpse within range, whose base hit dice is no greater than 1 HD per 2 caster levels, as a skeleton or zombie. The skeleton or zombie can perform no other actions but to attack a target designated by the caster, or do nothing. The caster can control the Meat Puppet as a free action once each round. A Meat Puppet does not count against the total HD of undead controlled, while it can be turn/rebuked normally. The necromantic energies animating the body however, eventually destroy it, causing it to crumble into dust when the spell ends.

Farcaster
09-05-2007, 02:34 PM
Meat Puppet ...The necromantic energies animating the body however, eventually destroy it, causing it to crumble into dust when the spell ends.

Does this mean that I could use the spell offensively to cause one of my slain enemies bodies to be unrecoverable except by True Resurrection?

Ed Zachary
09-05-2007, 05:46 PM
The lesser versions of the Bear's Strength spell seem okay, but anything above +8 seems like it is too much. At each level above 2nd, it outperforms every other spell that augments strength out there. It also outperforms any other spell that grants bonuses to hit. In the end, you're giving a warrior (or anyone else) a +9 to hit and damage. That's pretty huge. And despite the fact that this spell doesn't give any other advantages like Righteous Might or Tensers Transformation, I'd still say it was a bit out of balance.

I think that the spells balance well.

Righteous Might (D5):
Size x2 (more weapon damage)
Strength +4
Constitution +2
Damage Reduction (Evil or Good): 9 points

Tenser's Transformation (A6):
Wizard gets to use Fighter table for attacks
Strength +4
Constitution +4
Dexterity +4
Natural Armor +4
Fort Save +5

Farcaster
09-05-2007, 07:11 PM
In both of those cases, it is self only and has a draw-back - increased size makes tight spaces a problem for the cleric, and the wizard is unable to cast spells while using Tensers. Also, I'm not sure about the duration on Tensers, but Righetous might lasts only rounds per level, not minutes. But, the biggest difference is definitely that your spell can be targeted. +9 to hit and damage is HUGE.

And, if you are also suggesting a CON version of this, at 20th level that would give a character up to +180 hit points. Wisdom, Charisma or Int could give casters a +9 to all of their spell save DCs. And it would raise saving throws as well. That's just too much for a single spell to do. None of the other spells I can think of come close to matching that, which is the first hint the DMG suggests to look at when making new spells.

All, of course, is in my never-to-be-humble opinion. ;)

Farcaster
09-05-2007, 07:21 PM
One more thing that I thought of that is telling me that it is not balanced is that pre-epic, no magic item gives over a +6 enhancement to a single stat.

Ed Zachary
09-05-2007, 07:32 PM
In both of those cases, it is self only and has a draw-back - increased size makes tight spaces a problem for the cleric

Then don't cast it in tight spaces, which would be a small percentage of the opportunities to use it.

and the wizard is unable to cast spells while using Tensers.

If that Wizard is in combat, he won't be casting spells anyway. He cast the spell for a reason... to fight.

Also, I'm not sure about the duration on Tensers, but Righetous might lasts only rounds per level, not minutes. But, the biggest difference is definitely that your spell can be targeted. +9 to hit and damage is HUGE.

Allowing the spells to be cast on another is a big thing.

And, if you are also suggesting a CON version of this, at 20th level that would give a character up to +180 hit points. Wisdom, Charisma or Int could give casters a +9 to all of their spell save DCs. And it would raise saving throws as well. That's just too much for a single spell to do. None of the other spells I can think of come close to matching that, which is the first hint the DMG suggests to look at when making new spells.

You talk about 180 HP on one person. Look at Mass Heal, you can cure 250 HP per person at a range.

Look at what other high level spells can do; Wish/Miracle, True Resurrection, Mord's Disjunction, Shape Change, Time Stop, Weird, Implosion, etc.

Those spells can be powerful, and tip the scales in favor of the caster. So can the other 9th level spells I mentioned.

Ed Zachary
09-05-2007, 07:35 PM
One more thing that I thought of that is telling me that it is not balanced is that pre-epic, no magic item gives over a +6 enhancement to a single stat.

I believe we have had entire threads here complaining about the magic items in the book.

And those items make permanent changes in the ability score, not one minute per level.

InfoStorm
09-06-2007, 08:32 AM
Does this mean that I could use the spell offensively to cause one of my slain enemies bodies to be unrecoverable except by True Resurrection?

I'd say it's possible, and up to the DM. I copied/pasted the bulk of the spell's description from the Warlock's ability "The Dead Walk" and toned it down a little to make it the predecessor to Animate dead.

InfoStorm
10-08-2007, 09:03 AM
Can't find a spell, does one exist or what level do you think it would be.

What spell? I plan on having the PC's facing a foe who is a master of noncorporeal undead, and I'm wanting a spell available to the PC's that will turn a single non-corporeal creature corporeal for a short time. I thought I read one once, but can't remember.

If you have to create one, what level would you make it?

Digital Arcanist
10-08-2007, 11:54 AM
I believe there is a spell in the Spell Compendium that does that. If not then there is surely a spell to make weapons ghost-touch weapons.

There are always weapons crystals as well in the Magic Item Compendium.

If you are bent on creating your own spell, then I think making it a level 3 spell is appropriate.

Farcaster
10-08-2007, 12:54 PM
If you are bent on creating your own spell, then I think making it a level 3 spell is appropriate.

But be sure to allow a Will save and SR check.