PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Villain of All Time

Digital Arcanist
08-29-2007, 06:07 PM
This is the same as the hero thread. Name the one villain you despise, or admire, above all others.

My favorite villain is the Joker. In my opinion, he is the nastiest villain every created. In his first appearance in the 60's, he killed an entire troup of Boy Scouts with poisoned cotton candy. I think the best way to think of the Joker is with this quote from one of the comics, "When villains want to scare each other, they just tell a Joker story."

Have fun guys!!!

fmitchell
08-29-2007, 08:55 PM
I second the Joker as my all time favorite. Yes, it's implausible that a mass murderer would escape so often, or that someone wouldn't simply put a bullet in him. And yes, it's implausible that he would escape Certain Death so many times. (Even before the Batman Beyond movie, I had an idea that someone was in fact creating new Jokers out of ordinary citizens whenever the previous one died. It would explain the inconsistencies in what little backstory we have.)

But yeah, mass-murdering nihilistic psychopathic clowns are just creepy.

As with my superhero pick, I'll list one honorable mention, the villain in Watchmen, which I won't spoil: "I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome? I did it thirty-five minutes ago."

Moritz
08-30-2007, 09:09 AM
I love the Joker.

http://www.mxtreme.mushpark.com/images/cryingparis.jpg

Digital Arcanist
08-30-2007, 11:39 AM
Oh Caesar Romero.....he did make a good Joker

PhishStyx
08-30-2007, 01:07 PM
I have a much harder time picking a favorite villain than hero. I was originally going to say Magneto because he's a bad guy with a sense of purpose, a direction. But now, I'm not so sure. I had so much fun in the 80's trying to figure out who the Hobgoblin was in Amazing Spider-Man that I could say him with no problem. Of course, when I found out, I was really disappointed.

So, a much harder question for me.

Farcaster
09-05-2007, 04:52 PM
I think one of my favorites has to be Venom. If for no other reason then the artwork was incredible. Unfortunately, he didn't come across as well on the silver screen.

Digital Arcanist
09-05-2007, 05:30 PM
Venom is a great hero/villain. I loved Topher Grace as Eddie Brock but I agree with you in that the Venom story in the movie left much room for improvement.

PhishStyx
09-06-2007, 01:55 AM
As it happens, Venom is among my least favorite Spider-Man villains though I agree he has just about the best motivation for hating Spidey of all his rogue's gallery.

Of the Spider-Man foes, my favorites really as much as Hobgoblin, tend to be one shot appearances, the annual where he has to fight the Iron Man from 100 years in the future, the issue where he kicks Firelord's ass (who'd gotten a bit testy about his pizza not being ready on time) and the Avengers show up to call him off , the issue in which the Mad Thinker figures out that Spidey might have some unseen edge and sends one of his green uber-robots after him, when Spider-Man & Wolverine ended up in Germany at the same time and fought each other to a draw on the wrong side of the wall (yep, it was that long ago).

Other Spidey baddies: I enjoyed the Rose's storyline pretty well but not quite enough to want him hanging around forever. The Felicia Hardy storyline was ok, but it got very overdone quickly.

Digital Arcanist
09-06-2007, 04:00 PM
Let us not forget such memorable villains as Swarm, the Nazis covered in bees. Also, quake in fear at the tremendous girth of The Walrus!! Poor Spiderman had his hands full in the 70's!!!

PhishStyx
11-26-2007, 12:24 AM
Say, whatever happened to the Mad Thinker, anyway?

Digital Arcanist
11-26-2007, 12:31 AM
Anger Management classes....he's just the Upset Thinker now....

PhishStyx
11-26-2007, 12:34 AM
Hrm, that sounds like something that could potentially short circuit the Marvel Universe, defeating the villains not with super heroic battles but talking and psychology!

Drohem
11-27-2007, 05:39 PM
Magneto hands down! He is a holocaust survivor and self-appointed protector of mutants. He saw what the world was capable of in the Nazi regime, and knows that it could and will happen to mutants like it did with the Jews. He is taking an active role in seeing that it doesn't happen to mutants.

Magneto FTW!!!!

Digital Arcanist
11-27-2007, 07:51 PM
You actually make him sounds like a hero. Do you believe that the ends justify the means?

Good choice!!

Drohem
11-27-2007, 08:11 PM
You actually make him sounds like a hero. Do you believe that the ends justify the means?

Good choice!!

One man's hero is another man's villian and vis-versa, is it not?

He is hardcore, there's no doubt.

Do the ends justify the means? hmmm....there is a massive amount of grey in that statement, as there is the thoughts and actions of men.

WPharolin
11-28-2007, 12:46 AM
Sephiroth hands down

PhishStyx
11-28-2007, 01:38 AM

Good choice!!

Do ends ever justify means?
Even goals that appear to be beneficent to others don't appear to justify anything outside of the specified goals themselves. Methods are a separate issue for justification purposes. A goal. . . ensuring the dominance of the Marvel Universe's mutant-kind, for example would generally seem to be extremely worthwhile from the mutant person's point of view, and there are plenty of mutant lives at stake to prove his point.

However, how is that goal judged against Spider-Man's crime occlusion goals (since he doesn't prevent crimes or arrest after the fact, he stops crimes in progress)?

Both Magneto's and Spider-Man's goals appear focussed on saving certain lives but not particularly others (q.v. mutants vs the people of New York City). Or put another way, each man has a given field of focus that he doesn't venture from for the most part. So why is Magneto called a villain, but Spider-Man a hero?

I think a big part of what the Marvel Universe shows us is a setting where the efficacious are rewarded with the title hero and the inadequate are subjected to vilification. Success rate seems to be the key factor to heroism rather than intentions. Indeed the events of Marvel's Civil War support strongly this supposition in that once a so-called "hero" made a mistake that caused deaths (thus failed in an extraordinary and noticeable fashion), all the other heroes were re-evaluated on the basis of that failure, no matter their intentions.

Drohem
11-28-2007, 03:39 AM
The beauty of the X-Men series is that it showed that the terms 'hero' and 'villian' are subjective; as in the case of Magneto. In the Sentinel series, Magneto is the leader of the mutant resistance. In that context, he does become a hero for the remaining mutants.

ThatArtGuy
12-03-2007, 04:56 PM
No one has mentioned the ultimate villain of Dr. Doom?!? Heck with trying to take over the world... He conquered the entire universe TWICE!!!

Digital Arcanist
12-03-2007, 05:43 PM
No one has mentioned Galactus or Annihilus either and well Annihilus has everyone beat most respects.

russdm
12-03-2007, 09:44 PM
I would go with Emperor Palpatine/Darth Sidious as my first with Darth Vader as second. I would place Khan third, Thulsa Doom 4th, Revan 5th.

Digital Arcanist
12-03-2007, 10:55 PM
Are you talking about Ricardo Montabon as Khan from Star Trek?

He was a kick-ass villain from the 60's

PhishStyx
12-03-2007, 11:56 PM
I would go with Emperor Palpatine/Darth Sidious as my first with Darth Vader as second. I would place Khan third, Thulsa Doom 4th, Revan 5th.

Now see, Vader easily surpasses the Emperor as a villain.

Genghis Khan however always makes me think of Vandal Savage. (I think it's a name thing.)

russdm
12-04-2007, 11:12 AM
Yeah. I was thinking of Khan from star trek. I don't know, Sidious manipulated everything and everybody all the while smiling to the Jedi. I think that is more villiany than what Vader did.

Digital Arcanist
12-04-2007, 11:16 AM
Don't forget Vader actually killed a ton of children...personally

Moritz
12-04-2007, 11:18 AM
The Joker is always smiling. Unless he's frowning. And then he's really gonna jack you up.

Digital Arcanist
12-04-2007, 11:24 AM
I'm still sticking with my choice of Joker...

In the Titans East Special they just put out, the Titans from the future are fighting the Joker and Raven sucks him into her cloak dimension to confront him with all his worst nightmares. You know what he did? He just laughed because it was all so funny to him!!!!!

That is some hardcore @!#$ my friends!!!

russdm
12-04-2007, 07:39 PM
Don't forget Vader actually killed a ton of children...personally

Yes. But do you remember who tempted into the actions which lead to this? Sidious tempted Anikan, he turned to the dark side, became Vader and then went on a killing spree. IF Sidious hadn't been there, would Anakin still have turned to the Dark Side?

Digital Arcanist
12-04-2007, 08:03 PM
Yes....as evidenced by the tribe of sand people with light sabre wounds near Mos Eisley. He committed that atrocity prior to becoming friends with the Chancelor. It was his fear of losing Padme that drove him to the Dark Side...not Sidious.

Stuart Sexton
12-07-2007, 11:24 AM
For me, since I read very few comics, and so have a limited range, the Joker stands out as one favorite, but let's not forget Ra's Al Ghul! His wit and intelligence make him tops over a psychopathic mass murderer any day. Anyone can go insane and kill massive amounts of people, (there was a mall shooting just yesterday, not to mention the high school and college massacres in the past few years) but to hold such control and resources, on a global scale, takes a lot of effort.

Olothfaern
12-08-2007, 04:00 AM
my favorite villain of all time is Raistlin Majere, who just edges out Magneto for me.