PDA

View Full Version : Marvel versus DC

rabkala
08-28-2007, 09:30 PM
Since I haven't read any comics since I was about 10, what is the whole marvel versus DC thing? Is that question even valid anymore?

Do all comic book guys dream of being an artist? I never really progressed past stick figures. I did make a comic strip for years. It was kind of like the 'order of the stick' way before it's time. All the game shop regulars loved it.

PhishStyx
08-28-2007, 10:08 PM
Since I haven't read any comics since I was about 10, what is the whole marvel versus DC thing? Is that question even valid anymore?

The problem with both now is that in the mid 90's the bottom dropped out of the highly inflated comic collecting business, so sales dropped so hard and so fast that Marvel nearly went bankrupt (not sure about DC).

Right now, Marvel is reeling from the crapfest that Civil War became - bad plot, horrible continuity, and a complete screwup on the part of Mark Millar.

DC just went through their latest Crisis of Infinite Sales; wherein, they determined that if they could create a billion duplicates of each DC character, they could increase sales to such a degree as to strain the fabric of believability. But then it all fell in upon itself.

I read a few books, but I tend to stay away from the mainstream continuity books these days, except my old standby favorites (Spider-Man and X-Men and Batman). And I'm starting to get annoyed with them.

Do all comic book guys dream of being an artist? I never really progressed past stick figures. I did make a comic strip for years. It was kind of like the 'order of the stick' way before it's time. All the game shop regulars loved it.

I thought briefly about writing comic books, but I can't draw worth anything.

Grimwell
08-28-2007, 10:38 PM
Writers never draw - that's why they get paired with artists.

I used to think Marvel > DC.

Now I think they are both cheese. Lots of great ideas, but the usage is goofy in light of the modern world. You have to leave the mainstream to find the comics that stick these days. (not always, but often)

fmitchell
08-29-2007, 12:10 AM
Writers never draw - that's why they get paired with artists.

Unless they're writer-artists, who are the vast majority of indie comics authors. Although, from what I've heard, a writer/artist duo can't live off one indie comic book. (At a guess, I'd say the art takes up way more time than writing. Unless the writer half also does the business and promotion end, it's just not an efficient division of labor.)

BTW, I always preferred DC, mostly for Batman, but I've never been a superhero fan. Now that Strangers in Paradise has ended, and I'm not really reading manga either, I'm only following Girl Genius and Goblins. I like the medium, but nothing in print has grabbed my attention. (And I like the price.)

Skunkape
08-29-2007, 07:07 AM
I used to really be into X-Men and a few of the other Marvel comics, I sometimes looked at a few DC titles too, but I can't stand the direction that both of them have gone lately. It was really nice when both of the comic companies had cohesive universal continuity, but then they started their civil wars and other major universe changing events and it just ruined it for me.

I think what I liked most about Marvel was the occasional cameos they had in their books. I was hoping they could do something similar with the movies, but alas, since they sold the properties to different studios, that won't ever happen.

Digital Arcanist
08-29-2007, 01:30 PM
I guess I will play Devil's Fanboi.....I love DC comics and have a budding love for Marvel.

I've been reading/collecting non-stop since around '87. The 90's were a tough time for comics and not much of any worth happened.

I enjoyed Infinite Crisis and the books spawned from it like Checkmate and Shadowpact. I'm saddened by the new Justice League but excited for the new Outsiders and the future of DC magic.

I still think Civil War was great with the exception of the last few pages were Captain America just gives up. I think they just phoned that one in. I'm loving World War Hulk and I look forward to see how it will all end and how they plan to tie everything together.

Long Live the Sinestro Corps!!!!

Zig
11-22-2008, 03:50 AM
I've always liked Marvel better than DC. DC was always for kids especially when their characters had names like bicycle boy and matter eating lad and the plots just seemed overly cheesy (superman saves the day again... ugg) where as Marvel had characters like bullseye, deathloc, and punnisher. Marvel also seemed to make their characters more flawed and their lives more realistic. all in all just a more mature and entertaining expirence. But regardless I stopped collecting anything when the price got over $1.25 per issue, now when I get the hankering for comic bliss I head over to the local boarders books, get some coffie and read something from their graphic novel isle. much less expensive than buying the books themselves.

Mindbomb
11-22-2008, 09:10 AM
...DC was always for kids especially when their characters had names like bicycle boy and matter eating lad and the plots just seemed overly cheesy (superman saves the day again... ugg) ...

Apparently you've never read Hawkman

Webhead
11-22-2008, 01:12 PM
When I was younger, I was on the "Marvel is better than DC" train. Interesting, the older I get, the more I tend to swing the other direction. Yes, I have my Marvel faves who are still as cool as ever in my ageless mind (namely Spider-Man and one or two choice others), but on the whole, Marvel has lost some of its luster for me.

It's also worth noting though, that I've stopped reading most mainstream comic lines. When I do read comics nowadays, it tends to be the more off-beat, obscure series. Some of my recent and not-so-recent faves (interestingly mostly published by DC) are:

Watchmen: probably my favorite graphic novel ever, every adult interested in fantasy writing of any kind should read this

H-E-R-O: excellent series by DC which is a sort of follow up to the old series Dial "H" for Hero

The Demon- Driven Out: good Etrigan mini-series

Powers: I haven't kept up with this series past the 7th trade paperback but it was one of the most excellent comics I've read up to that point. Virtually on par with Watchmen and nearly as emotionally impactful

Astro City: another series that I have let fall by the wayside in terms of reading. A refreshing take on what would otherwise look like a very traditional "Silver Age-y" universe

DragonDM
11-23-2008, 10:40 AM
For the most part, I used to like both.

DC - They had some of the most developed Characters out there.
Heroes and Villains alike had strong (usually personal) reasons for what they were doing, and why. The artwork was always interesting as well. Changing gradually over time.

M.U. - They had the most 'realistic' Characters, as well as the reactions of those people that were not super-powered to their existance.
Heroes and Villains both had redeeming quirks and personality flaws.
Their artwork had radical jumps between eras, but usually the mainstream Characters also got a new look to go with it.

-----
And then came along M.U. Vs DC. Some of these things were very interesting. Others were disappointing.
Although I did not mind the inclusion of the Voting of the Fans, it should have only been used to make the fight endings more 'believable'. Not all the Fans could get online to Vote, sadly. I was one of these at the time.
---
Disappointing:
Namor Vs Aquaman - Aquaman summoning a Blue Whale to 'crush' Namor should not have worked, Namor is almost as strong as the Hulk when near the ocean, and was the lamest victory, ever. I really don't know why Aquaman won the Voting process on this one, and I blame the Fans this happening.

Superman Vs (Banner) Hulk - Superman has to cheat and get Banner mad enough to not realize that he still needs to breath, and flies into near space.
Hulk passes out, and Superman wins by default.
---
Interesting:
Wonder Woman being able to pick up Thor's Hammer.

In the end (after Amalgam) Captain America and Batman save all of reality, for both sides.

-----
Amalgam Comics - this was actually very interesting, but not very long lived. Although I have not been able to read all of the Characters - I liked the concept of Dark Claw (Wolverine/Batman), Amazon (Storm/Wonder Woman), Nightcreeper (Nightcrawler/Creeper - some of this was just too weird, though), Omega Beast (Omega Red/KGBeast), and Two-Faced Goblin (Green Goblin/Two Face).
__________________________________________________ ____________
I stopped collecting comics because the price went too high.
And then I stopped reading them entirely - as well as watching movies and cartoons, due to too many Remakes that were not really needed.

Batman, and Superman - some of them are ok, but others are lame rehashed old episodes, with nothing new really added. This is especially true of the Cartoons.

X-Men (although I have not gotten the latest series).

A lot of new Characters, with new powers or differently used old powers, have fallen into the Character Junkyard.

Superman has been given more and more defining limits to his powers, all the more to make him more "Human", as well as believable.

Hulk has just gotten more and more Unbeatable and Unstoppable.
World War Hulk was interesting to a point, but just became the Comic Indistries' means of killing off unwanted Characters.

It seems that the Fans would rather constantly reinvent the wheel, then to try and figure out how to make anitgravity drives a reality.

LAST CRUSADER
02-16-2009, 10:00 PM
my favorite comic book heroes have always been, spider-man, captain america, and superman. I also enjoyed reading the invaders, the x-men, the blue beetle, booster gold, the teen titans, conan and the late 80s justice league. As well as house of mystery, house of secrets and eerie. And though i read a good bit of batman, i was only really excited by the dark knight returns and year one. Really i would read almost any comic i could get my hands on but those were the only ones i liked enough to acknowledge as inspirations. I've read a lot of comic books both good ones and bad ones and, more often than not, i read good books till long after they became bad. I stopped reading comics altogether back in the early 90s when the writing got so incredibly bad that no matter how hard i tried i couldn't maintain an interest. It was sad really because i still loved the characters and the whole genre. I just hated what the editors were doing with them.

nijineko
02-17-2009, 10:27 AM
they both struggle for identity in the aftermath of crisis with a lot of baggage from the past.... gee, that sounds like a comic book plot! ^^

Guardian
04-08-2009, 06:44 PM
Right now, Marvel is reeling from the crapfest that Civil War became - bad plot, horrible continuity, and a complete screwup on the part of Mark Millar.

DC just went through their latest Crisis of Infinite Sales; wherein, they determined that if they could create a billion duplicates of each DC character, they could increase sales to such a degree as to strain the fabric of believability. But then it all fell in upon itself.

I read a few books, but I tend to stay away from the mainstream continuity books these days, except my old standby favorites (Spider-Man and X-Men and Batman). And I'm starting to get annoyed with them.

This statement basically sums it up for me. Civil War was a good idea, but unfortunately they could have done it a lot better and a lot differently than they did. 52 wasn't any better; granted, it got rid of some characters that weren't as popular, which is what DC usually uses the Infinite Crisis for.

Maybe in a few years, they'll pull another "reality shift" and set thing right again.

Silverthorne
04-12-2009, 06:04 AM
Thor's hammer states very directly no 'man' may pick it up save the man chosen. Wonder woman is definitely not a man.

LAST CRUSADER
04-13-2009, 05:09 AM
Beta ray bill

magic-rhyme
06-21-2009, 04:11 PM
I think DC and Marvel both excel when they remember who they are and stop trying to imitate the other.

|| warning: a bit longish past this point ||

Here's how I see the companies at their best:

DC's best characters tend to be mythic and iconic. Superman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern are all figures who would work well as gods of myth or the 25th level wizards of a well-run Dungeons & Dragons campaign. Even The Batman is so much larger than life that he appears to be a "normal human" only in a universe where epic heroes are the norm.

Marvel's best characters tend to be figures of pulp adventure and soap opera/irony-heavy melodrama. Spider-Man, Captain America, Wolverine are all figures who could fit alongside The Shadow and Doc Savage as earthbound adventurers (or the 15th level rogues and fighters of a well-run Dungeons & Dragons campaign). Even Thor is rather earthbound, with his godlike powers rationalized away as nothing more than extradimensional biology and some sci-fantasy overlays most of the time. And they always have irony and tragedy nipping at their heels.

DC's universe is one where Zeus is tied in to the basic spiritual and metaphysical workings of reality and The Spectre can prove his power comes from God Himself. Marvel's universe is one where Odin is a really powerful extradimensional who is a god because he says he is, nothing immanent about him, and Galactus can prove his power comes from the spite of a sentient big bang (unless his origin's been changed again).

In other words:

A well-written DC comic often has a touch of the mythic or iconic to it, with Wonder Woman fighting the god of war, with Superman battling mad scientists who have more in common with Saruman than they do with any real world scientific researchers, and with The Batman battling an insane mass murderer who is the archetypal evil clown or the prototypical femme fatale.

A well-written Marvel comic often feels like an updating of something from the pulp era, with Spider-Man dealing with a psychotic costumed criminal who is also the father of a best friend or dating his vulnerable aunt or both, with Wolverine battling both his latest adversary and the beast within and a bigotted public, and with Thor going to fight a dragon only to find his father manipulating his life again while his brother tries to kill him by tricking his girlfriend into . . . you get the idea.

What bothers me is
when DC tries to imitate Marvel's pulp feel with their mythic characters. I don't want ironic melodrama mixed into my Wonder Woman myth. I don't want Superman to discover Lucy Lane is both his vulnerable sister-in-law and a nationalistic murdering supervillain. Teen Titans is about the only DC title that can pull this off believably.

What bothers me is
when Marvel tries to imitate DC's cosmic style with their earthbound characters. I shuddered when Secret Wars declared Mister Fantastic to be the cosmic elemental of life and to be Galactus' cosmic opposite (or something like that). I hated the now-abandoned storyline which tried to frame Spider-Man as the avatar of spiders and successor to the spider god. Thor is about the only Marvel title that handles mythic well, and even then, they keep a sci-fantasy edge to it at all times.

Those are my thoughts, at any rate. YMMV.

Mindbomb
06-25-2009, 01:41 PM
You could always go with Amalgam. That's when Dc and MU got together in the 90's with greats like Dark Claw http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Dark_claw.jpg

kitsune1842
06-30-2009, 10:06 PM
Thor's hammer states very directly no 'man' may pick it up save the man chosen. Wonder woman is definitely not a man.

The hammer of Thor can be weilded by those people that are worthy of it. There was even a comic set at a point in the future where Thor had taken up the Odin force and moved Asgaurd to Earth and just taken over where he had lost the ability to pick the thing up.

Beta ray bill

He is an alien not a man.

But, that said, Other than Wonder Woman and Beta Ray Bill the only people that have been able to pick up the hammer besides Thor were his son, and Ben Grim. Although I wonder if half of why the Thing could do it is just because he wanted to see if he could, and put the thing right back down afterwards.

TheRageOfGaia
07-01-2009, 03:01 AM
I don't really prefer one over the other, but I have to give the edge to DC.

DC does some things better (the mythical things) and Marvel does other things better (they seem to push the envelope with social issues more) and they both suck when they try to mimic each other. And none of their huger crossover story arcs are ever anygood. Final Crisis, Civil War, etc.

What gives DC an edge is the Vertigo imprint. Y: the Last Man, Fables, and Northlanders are some of the best titles around. Air, House of Mystery, Testament, and Young Liars are very cool as well.

magic-rhyme
07-01-2009, 01:01 PM
But, that said, Other than Wonder Woman and Beta Ray Bill the only people that have been able to pick up the hammer besides Thor were his son, and Ben Grim.

Superman was able to wield it once. He seemed surprised himself when Thor handed it to him and directed him to use it during the final parts of one of the DC/Marvel cross-overs.

There was also a female Thor from an alternate reality in Marvel once, although she wielded her own hammer, so I don't know if that counts.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
07-01-2009, 01:06 PM
I like 'em both, and i'm not being pc with the response. Of course, i will admit i am not a hard-core fan. Maybe, just a minor one. :rolleyes:

TheRageOfGaia
07-01-2009, 04:07 PM
Storm... kinda... wielded it. Although it was a Loki-created forgery. lol. So I guess that doesn't really count.

DragonDM
07-01-2009, 04:35 PM
The hammer of Thor can be weilded by those people that are worthy of it. There was even a comic set at a point in the future where Thor had taken up the Odin force and moved Asgaurd to Earth and just taken over where he had lost the ability to pick the thing up.

Beta-Ray is an alien not a man.

But, that said, Other than Wonder Woman and Beta Ray Bill the only people that have been able to pick up the hammer besides Thor were his son, and Ben Grim. Although I wonder if half of why the Thing could do it is just because he wanted to see if he could, and put the thing right back down afterwards.

Many other people [Male, Female, and Alien] have tried to pick up Mjolnir many times - and failed.

And Thor was quite surprised when Hulk picked up Mjolnir - despite not being worthy, and clubbed him with it!!
"Hulk is strongest there is!" being the last thing Thor heard in that fight.

LOL

korhal23
07-01-2009, 04:44 PM
Many other people [Male, Female, and Alien] have tried to pick up Mjolnir many times - and failed.

And Thor was quite surprised when Hulk picked up Mjolnir - despite not being worthy, and clubbed him with it!!
"Hulk is strongest there is!" being the last thing Thor heard in that fight.

LOL

Gah I was just going to point out that Hulk picked up Mjolnir once. Ya beat me to it though.

TheRageOfGaia
07-02-2009, 01:21 AM
You know, as awesome as HULK is, I am amazed that they can't get his movie right. But, the same can be said for WOLVERINE

xawakening
07-03-2009, 02:36 PM
You could always go with Amalgam. That's when Dc and MU got together in the 90's with greats like Dark Claw http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Dark_claw.jpg

Yeah we've been doing that in our campaign and while it holds a certain unique fun, it gets old quick.

Law Dog
07-03-2009, 06:33 PM

Actually, ""Whosoever holds this hammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor." is what is inscribed on the side.

and here is the current list of who has lifted it straight from wikipedia.

Mainstream Marvel Universe (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_Universe) continuity

Awesome Android (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Awesome_Android) [12] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mjolnir_%28Marvel_Comics%29#cite_note-11)
Beta Ray Bill (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beta_Ray_Bill) [13] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mjolnir_%28Marvel_Comics%29#cite_note-12)
Buri (also known as Tiwaz (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiwaz)) [14] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mjolnir_%28Marvel_Comics%29#cite_note-13)
Captain America (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_America) [15] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mjolnir_%28Marvel_Comics%29#cite_note-14)
Eric Masterson (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Masterson) [16] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mjolnir_%28Marvel_Comics%29#cite_note-15)
Odin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Odin_%28Marvel_Comics%29)
Borr (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bor) (Odin's Father) [17] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mjolnir_%28Marvel_Comics%29#cite_note-16)

Alternate realities

Conan the Barbarian (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conan_the_Barbarian) [18] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mjolnir_%28Marvel_Comics%29#cite_note-17)
Dargo Ktor (Future Thor) [19] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mjolnir_%28Marvel_Comics%29#cite_note-18)
Loki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loki_%28comics%29) [20] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mjolnir_%28Marvel_Comics%29#cite_note-19)
Magni (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magni_%28comics%29) [21] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mjolnir_%28Marvel_Comics%29#cite_note-20)
Miguel O'Hara (Spider-Man 2099) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spider-Man_2099) [22] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mjolnir_%28Marvel_Comics%29#cite_note-21)
Rogue (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogue_%28comics%29) [23] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mjolnir_%28Marvel_Comics%29#cite_note-22)
Woden [24] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mjolnir_%28Marvel_Comics%29#cite_note-23)

Marvel/DC crossovers

Wonder Woman (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wonder_Woman) [25] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mjolnir_%28Marvel_Comics%29#cite_note-24)
Superman (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superman) [26] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mjolnir_%28Marvel_Comics%29#cite_note-25)

Also, I recall Rulk (Red Hulk) kind of getting around the enchantment in zero G.

Killwatch
07-15-2009, 02:50 AM
They fought to a standstill ending int he palm of the Living Tribunal
Superman beat Hulk (barely)
Surfer beat Lantern
Wolverine beat Lobo (BS)
Robin beat Jubilee
I think Thor beat Shazam
Wonderwoman beat Storm
Cap tied Batman

then they went into Amalgam and my favorite name ever; Megadeathurgeoverkill

And does it matter? no

Law Dog
07-16-2009, 09:06 AM
Aquaman (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aquaman) vs. Namor (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Namor)
Elektra (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elektra_%28comics%29) vs. Catwoman (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catwoman)
Flash (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wally_West) vs. Quicksilver (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quicksilver_%28comics%29)
Robin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robin_%28Tim_Drake%29) vs. Jubilee (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jubilee_%28comics%29)
Silver Surfer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_Surfer) vs. Green Lantern (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyle_Rayner)
Thor (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thor_%28Marvel_Comics%29) vs. Captain Marvel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Marvel_%28DC_Comics%29)

Batman (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman) vs. Captain America (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_America)
Spider-Man (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Reilly) vs. Superboy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kon-El)
Storm (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Storm_%28comics%29) vs. Wonder Woman (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wonder_Woman)
Wolverine (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolverine_%28comics%29) vs. Lobo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lobo_%28DC_Comics%29)
Superman (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superman) vs. Hulk (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hulk_%28comics%29)

Here is the breakdown with the victors first.

Batman did beat Captain America which I believe is a legitimate extension of Batman's "power" of "I have everything so planned out, you lose!"

Silver Surfer fairly easily beat Kyle Rayner. I don't believe that the fight would've been quite so one sided if it was Hal Jordan behind the ring.

Storm and Wolverine beating Wonder Woman and Lobo are not real likely. It was only because the fights were decided by fan voting.

Yes, Superman would cream Hulk. Superman (even post crisis Superman), just has too many power. Unless you're going to pull some cheese and say that Marvel Universe Gamma Radiation is along the same frequency as DC Universe Kryptonite, Superman is going to win.

I'd have to give Namor the victory over Aquaman.

Flash vs Quicksilver is a joke.

Thor vs Captain Marvel, I'm thinking a little close to call. Yes, Thor has the battle experience, but CM is stronger and tougher.

Valdar
07-16-2009, 11:57 AM
Back in the day, I was a Marvel fan and wouldn't touch DC stuff.

I got back into comics in 2000 with the Ultimate imprint. Much less continuity to keep track of. Now, with the imprint all but ending, I may just close my comic box.

I tried to follow a few DC titles when there wasn't enough good Marvel stuff, but the continuity is just impossible. Between two issues of a series I was following, Superman turned into an energy being with completely different powers- this happened in a book I wasn't reading, so I was like, what? Not even a footnote on which book to pick up?

I'm hoping that Infinite Crisis is a reboot of the DCU and I can get on board without caring about who all fifty magic-based DC heroes, or all fifty alien superheroes are.

DragonDM
07-16-2009, 05:59 PM
Here is the breakdown with the victors first.

[quote]Batman did beat Captain America which I believe is a legitimate extension of Batman's "power" of "I have everything so planned out, you lose!"
From what I recall, it was only when Captain America 'fell down into the sewers' that Batman really trumped him.
Bat's ability to 'hide in shadows and darkness' was simply more 'powerful' then Cap could deal with.
More 'sheer luck' then having planned it out. And then Bats carried Cap out of the Sewers, not letting him die.
At the end of Amalgim, these two stood between the "Cosmic Brothers" and caused them to realize that they "could be one of many, but always unique".

Silver Surfer fairly easily beat Kyle Rayner. I don't believe that the fight would've been quite so one sided if it was Hal Jordan behind the ring.

I agree. But that's why they had Kyle fight Surfer, because the vote went to Surfer instead of Lantern.

Storm and Wolverine beating Wonder Woman and Lobo are not real likely. It was only because the fights were decided by fan voting.

Personally, I disagreed with Storm vs Wonder Woman.
They both had a fair deal of power, but all of Wonder Woman's are in her armbands and her Golden Lasso. All of Storm's power are a natural part of her. And the both have a lot of combat experience. Storm beat Claistra for leadership of the Morlocks, after all. Single handed and with no powers being allowed to augment their abilities. in point of fact, Storm figured out that she could have easily won the battle, but was honorable enough to not use her powers against Wonder Woman.
Which is what gave Diana the victory, IMHO.

Yes, Superman would cream Hulk. Superman (even post crisis Superman), just has too many power. Unless you're going to pull some cheese and say that Marvel Universe Gamma Radiation is along the same frequency as DC Universe Kryptonite, Superman is going to win.

While Superman has a lot of powers, most of them are ineffective against the Hulk.
Heat vision? "Bah!"
Cold Breath? "Hulk Smash out!!"
Super Speed? "Hulk Ambush!!"
Super Strong? "Hulk Strongest of them ALL!!"
Super Smart? It was Banner-Hulk that Superman fought.
This was supposed to put Hulk at the same 'overall' power level as Superman.

This is where their concepts should have simply had the two of them fighting even to this day - had it not been for Hulk's need to constantly breath.

But Banner does not have the combat experience of the Hulk to rely on, and so Superman tricks him into getting mad enough to leap into the air after him, and then sufficates him into unconsiousness.

I'd have to give Namor the victory over Aquaman.
I agree. I really don't know why Aquaman won the Votes.
He's the lamest of all the Justice League. Even the "Wonder Twins" got an upgrade that made them less 'pathetic', trumping Aquaman.
I mean, come on - half the things that happen are not anywhere near water, much less the Ocean. And Namor can walk around in the Sahara Desert and not lose an ounce of 'power'.

Flash vs Quicksilver is a joke.
Yes. Flash won by more Reader Votes.
Had more 'endurance' I think was their explaination.

Thor vs Captain Marvel, I'm thinking a little close to call. Yes, Thor has the battle experience, but CM is stronger and tougher.

Captain Marvel and Thor fought to a standstill, and CM reverted back to 'Human'. Thor noted that he used lightning to convert between the two forms and said "I have power over all the aspects of storms. Therefore, I can just deny you the ability to revert back." But when Thor went to do that, it knocked them both cold. Thor was the least 'hurt' - and therefore the winner. Shortly afterwards is when Wonder Woman finds and picks up Mjolnir - and then returns it when Thor comes looking for it. Much to Thor's surprise, needless to say.

The one that I thought was silly was Iceman vs Killer Frost.
They were both equally powerful, and should have stalemated.
I forget how Iceman won that battle...

Lucifer_Draconus
08-20-2009, 05:56 PM
Of the two big ones I prefer Marvel. But I prefer classic Wildstorm & Topcow best.

guardian1968
10-06-2009, 11:45 PM
I don't think the question is valid anymore...they both kind of suck these days for different reasons. Too many continuities or reasons why so-and-so went off the deep end or returned from the grave (i.e. they were actually an alien / they were from the previous universe or whatever reality you want to blame).

:confused:

I have hope, however, for PROJECT SUPERPOWERS. I'm glad someone else got a hold of certain Golden Age characters other than Bill Black...

magic-rhyme
11-11-2009, 02:55 PM
They both had a fair deal of power, but all of Wonder Woman's are in her armbands and her Golden Lasso.

Not true. In most if not all continuities, Wonder Woman also has superstrength (at one point she tore a U.S. Army tank apart with her bare hands in just one panel) and superspeed. She also can either fly (Modern Age) or glide on wind currents (Silver Age and Bronze Age). As the Silver Age became the Bronze Age, Wonder Woman demonstrated superstrength near the level of a Kryptonian, able to handle Power Girl on her own.

I have hope, however, for PROJECT SUPERPOWERS. I'm glad someone else got a hold of certain Golden Age characters other than Bill Black...

What do you think of the series thus far?

Killwatch
11-12-2009, 03:01 AM
Just so you know, this is DCH by Mayfair using the expnential system, which means a Str of 2 which can lift100 lb and is average human, is half of str 3
Superman has a Str of 25

WONDER WOMAN (post-Crisis)
DEX: 13 STR: 16 BODY: 13
INT: 9 WILL: 12 MIND: 10
INFL: 10 AURA: 9 SPIRIT: 10
INITIATIVE: 36 HERO POINTS: 150 Source: 2nd Edition Roster Book
POWERS:
Directional Hearing: 4,
Flight: 14,
Running: 7 (running means only running so not necessarily super speed),
Telescopic Vision: 3,
Swimming: 6
SKILLS:
Acrobatics: 11,
Animal Handling: 8,
Charisma (Persuasion): 12,
Martial Artist: 12,
Military Science (Tracking): 10,
Weaponry: 13

ADVANTAGES:
Area Knowledge (Themyscira);
Attractive;
Connections: Superman (High), Themyscira (High), Gods of Olympus (Low), United Nations (Low), US Army (Low);
Iron Nerves;
Lightning Reflexes;
Scholar (ancient Greek and Themysciran languages, Greek mythology)

DRAWBACKS:
Public Identity; Misc.: Diana still does not fully understand the world outside Paradise Island; Misc.: Diana's RV against Physical Killing Combat is 4, but she may use her Martial Artist Skill to augment it as normal
EQUIPMENT: Lasso of Truth [STR: 15, BODY: 35, Control: 15, Animal Control: 15] Limitations: Animal Control may only be used to ward off beasts; Control only allows Diana to force a lassoed target to tell the truth or to sleep. The Lasso is 4 APs long.
BRACELETS [BODY: 30]
SANDALS OF HERMES [STR: 8, BODY: 8, Teleportation: 23] Limitation: The Sandals can only transport their wearer to Paradise Island and back.
Tiara [BODY: 12, EV: 7, Gliding: 1] Misc. Drawback: Diana automatically enters Killing Combat if she throws her razor sharp Tiara at a living target.
ALTER EGO: Princess Diana of Themyscira
MOTIVATION: Upholding the Good
WEALTH: 5

guardian1968
11-12-2009, 10:48 AM
What do you think of the series thus far?

I like PROJECT: SUPERPOWERS a lot. I think it's fairly original in its presentation of the characters, the history and the way the characters are being handled is a breath of fresh air. I feel that the P:S universe could offer more than the "big two" if given a chance.

I particularly love how the Green Lama is depicted. He's so much cooler than Bill Black ever made him. I look forward to reading the second part of the P:S story when I get the chance. This is so much more fun reading than an obligatory Crisis or a Civil War that was decades too late.