PDA

View Full Version : 4.0 question

Moritz
08-27-2007, 02:32 PM
Is it a figment of my imagination, or is WotC still putting out 3.5 stuff?

starfalconkd
08-27-2007, 04:49 PM
And they will keep doing so until 4.0 comes out.

RealmsDM
08-27-2007, 07:27 PM
makes you wonder what the quality of the products will be?

Jonas Boggs
08-27-2007, 09:25 PM
The WotC rep for the store I go to said that starting in the fall, new releases would be dual 3.5/4.0 compatible. We're assuming that means they will have dual stats or some such.

We're keeping an eye and ear open for exactly what that means before buying too many more 3.5 books.

Skunkape
08-28-2007, 06:24 AM
I know one of the guys in the group I'm in has stated he won't be buying any more 3.5 books with the 4.0 announcement, and he was buying at least 1 book a week on average. He didn't start buying books till about 3 or 4 months ago, and I know he has at least 12 books.

Moritz
08-28-2007, 11:15 AM
I know one of the guys in the group I'm in has stated he won't be buying any more 3.5 books with the 4.0 announcement, and he was buying at least 1 book a week on average. He didn't start buying books till about 3 or 4 months ago, and I know he has at least 12 books.

I'll be that burns his back side.

fmitchell
08-28-2007, 11:20 AM

Ironically, I bought more 3.5 books over the past few months than in the past few years. For two years I made do with the PHB, but I was curious about some WotC, Green Ronin, and Mongoose titles. Naturally, I bought them used, and mainly for ideas to transplant into other systems, but still.

PhishStyx
08-28-2007, 01:53 PM
So now is the time (while the iron is hot) for me to strike serious gold on getting in on the ground floor of some great 3.5 deals?!?!

Farcaster
08-28-2007, 02:18 PM
I have a full shelf of 3.5ed books--and that is with me buying sparingly. But, sorry, Phish, I'm keeping my collection right along side my 2nd and 1st edition books. I still sometimes find myself going back to my older editions for some useful bit of information or even just for the sake of nostalgia. I just couldn't bring myself to be rid of them.

PhishStyx
08-28-2007, 02:23 PM
Nah, I was joking. :) Truthfully, I need to find more shelving and the space to put it in before I buy into a lot more books, no matter what kind they are.

Moritz
08-28-2007, 02:55 PM
I consider myself lucky in all of this. Most of my books were less than half priced, and new.

RealmsDM
08-28-2007, 07:45 PM
i'm sure Ebay will eventually get swamped with obsolete 3/3.5 books for us bargin hunters to gobble up

rabkala
08-28-2007, 08:06 PM
I got most of my 3.0 books after 3.5 came out. Most were a reduced used price at the local game shop who then had an annual 60% off used sale. My BoVD and BoED were both like new and only $4 a piece. I am hoping to find more deals like that. I also hope to fully stock up on adventure modules. The ideas can come in very handy, even if large amounts of conversion is involved.

Skunkape
08-29-2007, 07:17 AM
I'll be that burns his back side.

Yeah, he's not happy about it. Course, we're still going to continue playing 3.5 even when 4.0 comes out, at least till the current campaigns we're running are completed. That's at least another 2 years of real time, so...

We've tried to convert characters between systems and there is always something lost in the conversion. The characters just never ever feel exactly right!

PhishStyx
08-29-2007, 02:11 PM
See, I don't convert characters; I translate them from one system to another. Unfortunately, D&D's strict rules-lawyer encouraging methods make the "translating" concept difficult.

Digital Arcanist
08-29-2007, 02:41 PM
Listening to the official WotC podcast, they say all of our suplemental books will be usable and that the major changes will come in the form of the three core books.....I think that MM1 will be a pointless purchase for 4.0

Don't bother yourselves with thoughts of 4.0.....I like 3.5 and unless there is something fantastic about 4.0 I will only purchase a PHB when I absolutely must.

Inquisitor Tremayne
09-04-2007, 11:52 AM
If Star Wars Saga Edition is any indication then conversions will be fairly easy. In fact easier to design your character around a concept using Saga's rules.

The Revised Core Rulebook for Star Wars is basically D&D 3.5. Conversions from the RCR to Saga are waaaay easy.

If they have found a way to make playing a wizard simple then I am all for it. Creating high level characters in Saga takes, at the most 20 minutes. If I can do that with a high level wizard then huzzah!!!

I enjoy the changes that were made in Saga so much that it is hard for me to continue to enjoy play D&D 3.5.

Rjrw92
09-06-2007, 12:54 PM
Most of the 3.5 stuff Wizards has left to put out has more than likely been in the can for well over a year or more because they need to play test it and make sure it is ready for the public. It would be a huge loss if they do not release it and try to make some of the money back that they put into it. And, they know that not all people will start playing the 4E stuff right away or at all. Much in the way people from 2E never went to 3E/3.5E.

Digital Arcanist
09-06-2007, 03:53 PM
And good riddance to those who would choose THAC0 over 3rd edition. They were crazy to begin with.

Rjrw92
09-07-2007, 01:14 PM
No kidding! Thanks be to the d20 system.

Ed Zachary
09-07-2007, 04:41 PM
And good riddance to those who would choose THAC0 over 3rd edition. They were crazy to begin with.

We got rid of THAC0 20 years ago and replaced it with a house rule nearly identical to the 3.x system.

Farcaster
09-08-2007, 01:01 AM

After years of playing, THAC0 wasn't a problem. I could do the math extremely quickly. In fact, I took care of all THAC0 calculations for my players. They just gave me what they rolled.

Digital Arcanist
09-08-2007, 09:51 PM
THAC0 is the secular version of Latin mass....and Farcaster just proved that for me!!!

Please tell me that you would turn your back to your players while giving them the combat results!!

fmitchell
09-09-2007, 01:07 AM
THAC0 is the secular version of Latin mass....and Farcaster just proved that for me!!!

Please tell me that you would turn your back to your players while giving them the combat results!!

And send them to the 666th plane of the Abyss for playing in non-D&D games ...?

Grimwell
09-09-2007, 07:29 PM
WotC will still be putting out 3.5 books, but they will have 4.0 in mind. Even better, people who use Gleemax (their online thing) will be able to get 4.0 stats for their 3.5 books (released between now and 4.0 only) when 4.0 goes live.

The idea being "Useful now, useful later"

I have a bit of hesitance on the idea of the internet solution (since not every pnp gamer uses computers - which is scary for different reasons), but at least they are offering it. That's a good thing.

Digital Arcanist
09-10-2007, 04:50 PM
We live in a digital age and if a person chooses not to accept it then they must face the consequences of those choices.

Chances are that if don't use a computer it is because you can't afford one which means you can't afford to buy the books which means WotC doesn't care about you. Perhaps you live in a place that can't get internet access, which means it probably doesn't have amenities like a bookstore, so that means you have no way of getting books either...so WotC probably doesn't care about you still...

Digital Arcanist
09-11-2007, 12:09 AM
All right people....for those of you who think WotC is some evil coporate entity out to take your money listen to GamerZero podcast, specifically episode 9. The host interviews the guys in charge of 4.0, including game design, online support, and brand managing. They discuss the future of Dragon and Dungeon magazines, new online play-tables, RPGA, book releases and convertibility, and finally the cost of the new stuff.

Listen to it and then think about it for a few minutes, and THEN post your thoughts. I for one am excited for the new online content and RPGA features.

rabkala
09-11-2007, 06:29 PM
All right people....for those of you who think WotC is some evil coporate entity out to take your money listen to GamerZero podcast, specifically episode 9. The host interviews the guys in charge of 4.0, including game design, online support, and brand managing. They discuss the future of Dragon and Dungeon magazines, new online play-tables, RPGA, book releases and convertibility, and finally the cost of the new stuff.

Listen to it and then think about it for a few minutes, and THEN post your thoughts. I for one am excited for the new online content and RPGA features.

Like we believe that gamerzero isn't just a bought corporate monkey dancing to the tune played by the brass organ grinder.

It wouldn't be very smart to tell the marks how you were going to screw them, would it? That's grifting 101.

Digital Arcanist
09-11-2007, 11:37 PM
By playing D&D, buying the products and even talking about the company and the brand, you are supporting the very evil entity whom you so wholeheartedly despise. Even bad press is still good press...

Oldgamer
09-21-2007, 03:22 PM
I still DM an PBeM 2nd Ed game using THAC0 :) But the game has been going for 7 years this October and 2 players barely know any D&D rules period (they just like the role-playing) so I can't force them to step up to 3.5. I am also a player in a 1st Ed. PBeM that I'm sure the DM still uses THAC0, he doesn't even have any 2nd Ed books, let alone jumping to 3.5 or 4.0.......

Digital Arcanist
09-21-2007, 04:38 PM
You see people...these are type of crazies we let roam our streets.:eek:

Way to go Regan!!!....just make all the lunatics into out-patients why don't ya?

Well, I guess as long as you enjoy it playing with THAC0 is fine.:D