PDA

View Full Version : Dice Fate

Moritz
08-14-2007, 02:20 PM
I've seen this a lot, the belief that dice are fated to roll certain numbers in a certain order. So those people who believe it, often do not like other people rolling their dice because the new roller may use up all the good rolls.

Anyone else believe this, or something like it?

(Disclaimer: No, this isn't a means to draw out people to become targets, but damn, it would be a great trap. - I'm just curious.)

Ed Zachary
08-14-2007, 05:09 PM
I believe some people are paranoid.

Those same people will claim ownership to a slot machine out of a delusional fear that the next person to touch it will take their jackpot.

Farcaster
08-14-2007, 05:22 PM
I have dice that I think roll particularly well and thus became my favored dice. In fact, when the going would get tough, I'd sometimes toss one of my players my special d20-of-death, as I called it, that had a tendency to roll 20s repeatedly. It never seemed to work out as well for them, but at least it would reduce the number of times that I was nat-20'ing. But, I think this tendency to roll well may have simply been a matter of imperfections in the balance of the die, not some mystical predestined fate.

These days, if its more than a couple of dice being rolled at a time, I tend to use an electronic dice roller. But, I still keep my d20-of-death handy at all times, lest my players think they are safe.

RealmsDM
08-14-2007, 08:10 PM
Lol.. I've taken "tainted dice" away from one of my players who is notorious for rolling natural 1's at the worst possible moment. My other players won't even let this guy's tainted dice touch theirs, as this might spread the unfortunate curse of the "wavey gravey" dice (as it has come to be known)

Ed Zachary
08-14-2007, 08:21 PM
Using tainted or loaded dice is a form of fudging rolls.

Grimwell
08-14-2007, 11:41 PM
There are a lot of people who want to believe in dice voodoo. I don't. ;)

Dice are manufactured by a process that is guaranteed to be imperfect, and all dice are likely to have imperfections that will cause specific trends. Most of the trends are so small it would take thousands of rolls to even be aware of them, but every now and then you find the dice that always rolls 1, or 20 and people take note. What they don't notice is the dice that likes to roll a 12, because there isn't such a reaction to the middle of the road roll.

As to luck/voodoo - I think it goes with the person. I'm lucky, :)

shilar
08-15-2007, 06:11 AM
If As to luck/voodoo - I think it goes with the person. I'm lucky, :)
If I'm rolling for attack I'm really not lucky. So I just stack the bonuses in my favor with a good plan.:cool: