PDA

View Full Version : Player Connections

ronpyatt
08-12-2007, 07:56 AM
Something that seems to work on other websites that attempt to amass people into groups is the "My Friends" feature. I was thinking that we could use something along those lines that would create an interesting Player Web when viewed graphically.

Setup a system like RPGSpaces.com or MySpace.com where members can Invite other members for a "Player Connection". Then have those connections listed in the player's profile, and maybe an easy way to contact all members of "My Connections". I'm not sure what else it would be good for, but it sounded cool when I woke up this morning.

ronpyatt
08-12-2007, 08:06 AM
Doh!

I just noticed there is a buddy list!

Moritz
08-12-2007, 03:39 PM
We can be buddies? Oh sweet, Ron, would you be on my buddy list? :)

PhishStyx
08-12-2007, 03:45 PM
Unfortunately, the standard vBulletin buddy list doesn't do much. It adds a + next to the name of listed people when they're online at the same time as you.

On the other hand, I'm not sure what features it ought to offer.

Moritz
08-12-2007, 03:58 PM
oh, well bummer.

Too bad we don't have something that says, "X" is in the chat room.

rabkala
08-13-2007, 07:13 PM
Are buddies like friends with benefits? That would be interesting.

Where is the chat room? I didn't know there was one. Then again, with my 3 1/2 finger typing method, I can never keep up to most chats.

Farcaster
08-13-2007, 11:56 PM
You can find the chat room under Quick Links -> FlashChat

ronpyatt
08-14-2007, 08:29 AM
I was able to add a few folks to my buddy list, but PhishStyx is right about it being limited in scope.

Can we extend the Buddy List capabilities and integrate it a little more? Such as the following:

Give the list the option to make it part of the players public profile.
Show offline and online buddies.
Buddy bulletins, where an announcement box can be posted for buddies to view when they get to the home page. (out of town, going to CON, etc.)
Quick -> FlashChat
Buddy types (tags to group friends, gaming groups, etc.)

Moritz
08-14-2007, 03:04 PM
Ron is definitely a planner. Look at that list, he doesn't want much, does he? :)

Farcaster
08-14-2007, 05:08 PM
Look at that list, he doesn't want much, does he? :)

You should see my list for enhancements I want to make. Its got a lot of beefy upgrades on it. Its just a matter of finding the time to sit down and code them.

Farcaster
08-27-2007, 01:12 PM
Buddy bulletins, where an announcement box can be posted for buddies to view when they get to the home page. (out of town, going to CON, etc.)

What would you think about having a forum that you could post in where ONLY people on your buddy list would be able to see and reply to your messages? You could then use that forum for multiple purposes really. If you wanted to, you could even use it as a forum for your ongoing tabletop campaign. It'd be limited to just one buddy type at first, but perhaps later it could be expanded.

Moritz
08-27-2007, 02:03 PM
A buddy forum could be interesting and useful.

Moritz
10-12-2007, 08:53 AM
Was there a suggestion about putting Notations (stars/pips) by people's names so as to remember them in the future? Cause that would be cool.

rabkala
10-15-2007, 06:50 PM
Anyone want a buddy? Please, I won't take up that much of your time. When I was a kid, my mom would hang meat around my neck so the dog would play with me. ;)