PDA

View Full Version : Which covenants in Vampire the Requiem do you favor?

Rain_Spider_08
08-08-2007, 01:18 PM
Personally I favor the Unaligned, Circle of the Crone, Invictus, and Ordo Dracul. My character now is Unaligned at the moment who knows what can happen in the future? Though I am not fond of the Carthians or Lancea Sanctum I know they help add to VtR. I chose to include Belials Brood and VII just incase anybody likes to play them as well as the other covenants. I must admit I find VII immensely intriguing :D

Moritz
08-13-2007, 08:50 AM
Totally voted Circle of the Crone. Not because I know anything about it, but because it sounds like a bunch of old ladies standing around a huge cauldron chanting Book of Love lyrics.

Rain_Spider_08
08-13-2007, 04:56 PM
Totally voted Circle of the Crone. Not because I know anything about it, but because it sounds like a bunch of old ladies standing around a huge cauldron chanting Book of Love lyrics.

Your not far off in a sense but all of the CotC members can be different, but heres a link if ya want more info on em http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circle_of_the_Crone . They seem to be the favorite covenant from what I know of. Every VtR player I've met at least holds a fondness for them. In the VtR game I'm playing now out of 6 players I believe 3-4 are playing CotC the rest (including myself) are unaligned.

MortonStromgal
10-17-2007, 07:56 PM
I would go with Ordo Dracul because they remind me of my beloved Tremere.

Rain_Spider_08
10-27-2007, 05:31 PM
I would go with Ordo Dracul because they remind me of my beloved Tremere.

The Ordo just screams tzimisce to me since they "claim" that dracula was one... but now that I think about it the tremere would love the ordo too :D good point

boulet
01-02-2008, 04:12 PM
I've got the VtR book and WoD rulebook for only a little while. I haven't played this new avatar of the Vampire game yet. I don't want to appear like a nostalgic of the old World of Darkness, because it's not about comparing those quite different games. I understand the will of the creators of VtR : let's start anew, let's avoid silly stereotypes like "illusionist/thieves gypsies (Ravnos)", let's focus on the role playing and atmosphere, let's give a lot of freedom to Story Tellers. I think they achieved a lot of these objectives, or at least they go the right direction.

Now, when it comes to Covenants I haven't been able to overcome the initial disappointment I felt reading their description. I know, they are detailed in separate books. I know, the creators didn't want to make these political/religious entities too rigid, they didn't want to fall into the "metaplot" trap. They wanted to offer a frame where ST would feel free to twist them, shape them, be creative about them without having any players antagonizing them like "No you have this covenant wrong, it's written here that blablabla..."

Still, they're supposed to reflect some social tendencies that are widespread amongst vampires of the western world, with local divergence of course but there should be some common background if I get the picture right. The covenants are to be archetypes of social vampire societies in every cities, to the point they are included in the character creation process. I must say that to me they feel like kind of empty shells. They're supposed to incarnate philosophical/mystical movements and yet I don't find any of the necessary depth in them. The way they're presented in the VtR book I don't feel like using them at all. Except maybe the Invictus and the Carthians, but that's only because they evoke similar political movements in real History and I could build on that. The Unaligned, ok why not... They're the misfits, that's a bit short anyway.

If I'm going to have to define what these entities are in my own campaign anyway, thank you, but I'd rather start from scratch. I think I'd be able to shape religious and mystical groups that have much more substance and coherency than the pathetic draft White Wolf provided. And no I won't regret Cruac, Coil of Dragon or Theban Sorcery (what Thebes is that anyway ? the one in Greece ? the one in Egypt ? Does it come in different flavors?) Please don't tell me "it's ok they don't have to fulfill your every dreams and aspirations, you just have to develop them" because I don't believe the writers had the maturity to create a decent set of Covenants in the first place. I'd have been happier with a toolkit to create my own Covenants instead of this new age flavored weak stuff.

Just so you don't get me wrong : I love VtR rules system, I like the balance of the Clans. The combat system is better than in Vampire the Masquerade. Humanity, Blood Potency, Taint of the Predator... all this stuff seems great (still have to play it to be 100% sure). It's only the Covenants that make me frown and say "come on"....

Sorry that was a bit of a long post. Thank you for reading it !

MortonStromgal
01-17-2008, 02:17 PM
The Ordo just screams tzimisce to me since they "claim" that dracula was one... but now that I think about it the tremere would love the ordo too :D good point

If I were to run Requiem and steal from oWOD I think I would make the Tzimisce and Tremere sects of Ordo Dracul... Bring in some of that Vampire Dark Ages tension between the two :D

Taint of the Predator sucks with new Vampires btw (you meet someone roll predators taint you meet someone else roll... you get the idea), however the Cam fixed it by saying you can turn this ability on and off.

I'm also tempted to go clanless some day via the storytellers guide idea. I think if you add some covenants it gives more than enough options without the clans.