PDA

View Full Version : Above and Below 30

Moritz
08-06-2007, 08:24 AM
In another thread, we began to discuss the mindset of a gamer. It involved the cutoff age of 30 and perhaps the designs of the old player versus the young player.

So, what is my goal of this topic? Glad you asked.

This will be a broad topic. And therefore a few questions will be presented.

1) If you are above the age of 30, how do you see/feel your gaming has changed since you've become older? (This question can also apply to those below 30 if they've noted a significant shift in their gaming style as they've gotten older.

2) What do you look for in a game? (Power, Money, Most Powerful Magic Item Ever, To Be in the Spotlight, Friends Getting Together, Trying to Relive the Past, or Other.) - (I realize this is a question on our profile, but on a profile it's not up or discussion. This also doesn't preclude that one style of gaming is 'better' than another, it just lists what we prefer, and we all have desired gaming styles.)

3) What do you dislike the most in another player? (Meaning Power Gamers, Rules Lawyers, Stargate Lovers, Bad Hygiene, or Other.) (This question isn't designed to start fights, it's just an opinion - like the bunghole, everyone's got one and it shouldn't be held against them.)

4) Do you feel the age of 30 has significantly changed the player's mind so much so that the player isn't the same as they were in their 20's?

5) Add your own hypothesis or questions or comments.

Ed Zachary
08-06-2007, 08:58 AM
Age should be a minor consideration. There are some very good college age gamers, and some that are zombie-like power gamers who should be playing some super hero or tekkie game instead. As one gets beyond college, the more real life gets in the way. Beware of players who don't have that real life that gets in the way!

TheYeti1775
08-06-2007, 09:20 AM
In another thread, we began to discuss the mindset of a gamer. It involved the cutoff age of 30 and perhaps the designs of the old player versus the young player.

1) If you are above the age of 30, how do you see/feel your gaming has changed since you've become older? (This question can also apply to those below 30 if they've noted a significant shift in their gaming style as they've gotten older.

Age 32 (5 days to 33) - Play style at beginning of RP'ing was more akin to me and two friends playing all weekend long. Started in TOEE and still have a deep love for the T1-4 module. Looking back at it, it was what would be refered to as the Powergaming/Munchkin style. But I loved it then. As I entered highschool, I got invovled with a group where the DM was big on his campaign world. It was a large group, around 12 I think in it, ages from me at youngest 15 to the DM at 30ish. I think for that one it was more of the what can I do to gain more power for me. Though story started being more interesting. Nowadays, I truly care for the story and its development. I find myself more willing to play a "subpar" character as the story can grow. I will blow a feat on it 'feels right' with that character.

2) What do you look for in a game? (Power, Money, Most Powerful Magic Item Ever, To Be in the Spotlight, Friends Getting Together, Trying to Relive the Past, or Other.) - (I realize this is a question on our profile, but on a profile it's not up or discussion. This also doesn't preclude that one style of gaming is 'better' than another, it just lists what we prefer, and we all have desired gaming styles.)

Friends getting together having a good time, is the closest. Good story telling, and of course the EPS. :D

3) What do you dislike the most in another player? (Meaning Power Gamers, Rules Lawyers, Stargate Lovers, Bad Hygiene, or Other.) (This question isn't designed to start fights, it's just an opinion - like the bunghole, everyone's got one and it shouldn't be held against them.)

I'm pretty easy going, think the only thing that would outright annoy me would be a player deliberately attempting to fight/provoke another player outside the game.

4) Do you feel the age of 30 has significantly changed the player's mind so much so that the player isn't the same as they were in their 20's?

Possible if you are using it as an average age. Your average 30 yr old, has been in the 'professional' world for a decade, and is used to interaction with others. Most socially have been 'steady' with someone for awhile, or even been married with childern. And most 30+ gamers have been gaming for time.
Whereas your early 20's players are just hitting their bar-hopping years, the freedom of mom & dad. Ready to make all the mistakes the older ones already worked through.
I think playing with that older group when I was in high school, assisted a lot in my maturity level, and greatly assisted me later in life when dealing with the professional world in my jobs.

Hypothesis interjected some above.

Questions of my own:
6) Largest age range you have played within a group?

7) In the difference of your 20's & 30's, did your setting preference change? (i.e. Greyhawk to FR to Ebberon) Or as you get older do you find yourself wanting to go just the opposite?

Moritz
08-06-2007, 09:42 AM
Whereas your early 20's players are just hitting their bar-hopping years, the freedom of mom & dad. Ready to make all the mistakes the older ones already worked through.
I think playing with that older group when I was in high school, assisted a lot in my maturity level, and greatly assisted me later in life when dealing with the professional world in my jobs.

You may be onto something here. These statements seem reasonable when considering play style and maturity.

Hypothesis interjected some above.

Questions of my own:
6) Largest age range you have played within a group?

40-32 (8 years difference and I was 33 in that instance). Nothing greater than that as all my other gaming friends were within 2 years of my own age.

7) In the difference of your 20's & 30's, did your setting preference change? (i.e. Greyhawk to FR to Ebberon) Or as you get older do you find yourself wanting to go just the opposite?

In Jr High into most of High School, I was totally into D&D. That's when a friend introduced me to Marvel Super Heroes and that became the game to play. It evolved into Champions and then back to Marvel as Champions was too cumbersome with all it's rules and math. D&D wasn't again played until once in college, then not again until 2002 when it became the game of champions.
I'll still play the hell out of hero games, but D&D seems to appeal to me more and more - perhaps the nostalgia?

starfalconkd
08-06-2007, 09:44 AM
1) Well I'll be turning 30 this month. My games has evolved over the past few years to accommodate a single player, as that's all I have. However, my plots have become more elaborate and evolved. I've grown as a dm to the point where I can comfortably play a multitude of colorful characters without having them all blend together. Other than playing less and less down through the years I think that sums it up.

2) I have not played in a group for a long while, but I look for the chance to be a team player. I enjoy being with a group of players and all of us being used to working together as a team. I also really like magical junk, doesn't have to be powerful. Power is nice and all, but I prefer not to be more dangerous than my team mates. I also enjoy role playing morally ambiguous situations. Work with the really bad guys to stop something worse or just save your own skin, killing someone good to prevent something evil, etc.

3) People who play purposefully disruptive characters. Play the group's black sheep is one thing, playing the guy who kills other characters while they sleep is totally different. Simply put, if everyone is good and you have to be chaotic evil, I hate that. And, point of fact, I've killed these people in game before and will probably do it again.

4) I would guess it depends on the person. I doubt 30 is some magical switch that changes everything.

5) Age is just a number anyway. We may change as people, but I think if you are a gamer, you're a gamer.

6) I've played with people a few years (three of four at the most) older than me when I was in my 20s and people in their late teens when I was in my 20s, but that's about it.

7) Nope not really. I mostly still play in FR, Greyhawk, or my own designed worlds. Lately I've been playing FR. I miss playing in Ravenloft and Darksun.

TheYeti1775
08-06-2007, 09:59 AM
That's when a friend introduced me to Marvel Super Heroes and that became the game to play. It evolved into Champions and then back to Marvel as Champions was too cumbersome with all it's rules and math. D&D wasn't again played until once in college, then not again until 2002 when it became the game of champions.
I played Marvel quite a bit as well, there was actually a Craigslist listing the other day for some. Very tempted to pick it up. Incase anyone is interested before I secure permission from the wife. http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/tag/388080636.html

7) Nope not really. I mostly still play in FR, Greyhawk, or my own designed worlds. Lately I've been playing FR. I miss playing in Ravenloft and Darksun.
I miss Spelljammer honestly. :)
My Greyhawk time was primarily in use of the modules of 1E, with heavy bits of homebrew. Loved FR at first, but have grown away from it as time has progressed. Now I play in Dawnforge (Fantasy Flight Games), and have been loving it for almost 2 yrs now.

fmitchell
08-06-2007, 10:26 AM
I fell out of gaming around 30, about the same time I drifted away from the college gang I hung out with. Stresses of work, bad relationship, moved to the other side of the city, blah blah blah. Only in the past few years did I get interested again.

Why? Maybe it was looking at the new stuff that came out in the last few years, or maybe it was the realization I needed something other than work to occupy my time, or maybe I needed the Hume points.

So, to answer your specific questions:

1) My tastes have drifted to lighter systems like FATE and (possibly) HeroQuest; even RuneQuest and GURPS, my old favorites, are now at the edge of tolerable crunch. I find myself looking more at "Forge-y" sort of games than "mainstream" ones ... although maybe that isn't really a change; I always shied away from D&D toward CoC, Ars Magica, and the like.

2) I really prefer the "communal storytelling" aspect of gaming that seems to have gained prominence recently. I was lucky to find a GM who really concentrated on the whys and wherefores of the adventure, rather than the combats and action.

3) Conversely, I get annoyed with Munchkins, Power Gamers and Hack-and-Slashers. Any time I'm taken out of the story reality into details of stackable modifiers, flanking bonuses, and kewl powers I get bored. So far in my second try at gaming I haven't encountered any truly pathological players who prey on other characters or try to game the system; I suspect my current GM would toss them out quickly.

4) I don't know how much I've changed vs. how much the hobby has matured. I guess the biggest difference in me is that I'm less desperate to be in a game. I've even quit a game I liked because I couldn't work for 10 hours and then game until 3am, which is probably directly age-related.

Sorry if this isn't too coherent.

Moritz
08-06-2007, 10:29 AM
I played Marvel quite a bit as well, there was actually a Craigslist listing the other day for some. Very tempted to pick it up. Incase anyone is interested before I secure permission from the wife. http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/tag/388080636.html

Yeti
Unless you're gonna get the Marvel box for nostalgic reasons, don't bother. Go to http://zap.to/zans and download all the books for free in PDF. Or check out www.classicmarvel.com for additional information/books.

TheYeti1775
08-06-2007, 10:38 AM
Yeti
Unless you're gonna get the Marvel box for nostalgic reasons, don't bother. Go to http://zap.to/zans and download all the books for free in PDF. Or check out www.classicmarvel.com (http://www.classicmarvel.com) for additional information/books.

I'll check out the Zap site when I get home. I'm lucky this Gov Computer lets me here.
I was figuring 20 bucks on those 3 things or 20 bucks on minis for me and the kid anyways. Either way I still get the ol' Eyeball roll from the missus.

TheYeti1775
08-06-2007, 10:40 AM
2) I really prefer the "communal storytelling" aspect of gaming that seems to have gained prominence recently. I was lucky to find a GM who really concentrated on the whys and wherefores of the adventure, rather than the combats and action.

One of the most important things is the DM/GM making it appealing to each player. I know my current one does a dang good job of it.

Inquisitor Tremayne
08-06-2007, 04:46 PM

1) I feel my playing style hasn't changed significantly from when I started. When I joined my first "real" game I was the youngest out of 6 and I was about 25 or so. That was a shock enough to change me into the player I am today. I tend to play how I envision the character. The character concept(s) are my strict guidelines. My personal preference is on tactics and strategy. Like chess. So I always eagerly look forward to combat with any character. Where I have changed the most is as a GM/DM. The change came from playtesting and practice and great players that had the patience while I learned as we went. I now DM D&D (if and when I do, not currently) as if it is a tactical game and filled with intrigue. I used to run Star Wars like that as well. Now with the new version of SW out I run my games differently, more cinematically I would say. Whereas with D&D we would spend time on the details of everything, in SW I try to keep it fast paced and interesting and the next combat right around the corner.

2) I would say what I look for in a game as a player is friends getting together and the strategy of the game. Powerful weapons helps some too!

3) I have a hard time with dominate players and disruptive players. Players that bully other players into what they want to do, that sort of thing. As long as it stays civil. Plus we usually only game for 4 hours so time is very valuable.

4) I don't think that there is a maturity level. I think its a matter of playing. I've been playing regularly for about 10 years and have been messing with games before that for about 5 years prior. I think if I hadn't played and learned how the game works and the things I like and don't like that I would still be causing total party kills left and right. If someone starts at 15 and has been playing for 10 years I'm sure they are on the same level that I am. Life is always a factor on peoples games but usually not their attitude they bring to the table, well, from my xp.

5) I think I added a bit.

6) Largest age range was probably 10 years at least. I was the youngest at 25 the others were 32 +.

7) My settings never changed really. I picked up RPG books just for the sake of reading the material. I will play any RPG as long as I get to play an RPG!

rabkala
08-06-2007, 06:32 PM
Wow Moritz, good response provoking questions. My estimation of those from Texas has just grown. I lived in Houston for a few months back in my early 20's. I hated it and the whole experience, but I guess that is another story.

1) Being nearly 40, I have noticed a change in my playing style. I started in a game at least 75% role play. AS a DM I am now about 50% and as a player probably a little past that midway marker toward combat gaming.

Most of the time I DM and the players seem to want more combat. I have played for nearly 30 years with over 20 years straight behind the screen. While I find a game to play in occasionally, I am always DMing at least one other game. After awhile, it seems that every couple NPC's just seem to be reruns of something in the past. I once DMed in a group with 4 female players and only 1 male. After 2 full game sessions of pure role play around the town buying shoes and random frivolity, I was ready to pull my hair out.

2) I think I look for a little bit of everything you mentioned. Mostly though, it is to get together with friends and relieve the stresses of real life.

3) Rules lawyers tend to get under my skin the most. I physically removed one from a game about a year and a half ago. He brought the game to a complete standstill for over an hour due to a nonsensical rule which had no bearing whatsoever on the battle or its outcome.

4) I have changed greatly since I was 20; physically, mentally, and emotionally. It isn't as much a function of the numerical indicator, as it is of life experiences.
A good case in point is the first DM I ever played with. He has only had 3 relationships with women which were all very short lived. He never married, never kept a job for more than 1 year straight, never had children, never finished college, never lived away from his mothers home for more than a year, has yet to lose a parent or sibling, and has never moved on with his life since he was 20. He is the same person, albeit somewhat more pathetic than ever. I am nearly as far the other way on the spectrum and much changed.

6?) 13 to 42
7) No real change, although I think I prefer a slightly lower magic world.

Skunkape
08-07-2007, 06:47 AM
1) I remember my playing style changing when I got into my 20s, wasn't so interested in just hack n slash, wanted more story to my games. Now that I'm 46, my opinion hasn't changed. The group I'm with wants to tell a cooperative story more than just run through dungeons killing things. Yeah, we still have combat in the game, but it's not the focus of our time together.

2) That can change depending on the character I’m playing, most of the time I try and get an idea of what motivates my character prior to starting the first session of the campaign. Depending on the make up of the character, in DnD, class and alignment, will give me a starting point as to what he’s looking for in the game.

3) Usually it’s something that is a sum of personality conflicts more than a particular trait, could be them being a power gamer, or a rules lawyer, etc. Usually it’s more than just one thing that bothers me about an individual, but that’s not always the case.

4) As I said in my first response, I changed my playing style in my 20s and really haven’t noticed much deviation over the last 20 some odd years.

5) I had this right after my response to question 1, but decided it fit better down here.

I'm not sure it's really an age issue, more of a 'maturity' issue. I've known 18 year olds who were very mature and 30 year olds who I wouldn't want in my game even if they paid me! So it's not so much a physical age thing, more of a mental/emotional age thing.

Ed Zachary
08-07-2007, 07:23 AM
1) I remember my playing style changing when I got into my 20s, wasn't so interested in just hack n slash, wanted more story to my games. Now that I'm 46, my opinion hasn't changed. The group I'm with wants to tell a cooperative story more than just run through dungeons killing things. Yeah, we still have combat in the game, but it's not the focus of our time together.

Being experienced in management (IRL) gives a player more perspective on how a higher level character would interact in society, a perspective many younger players just don't have. As a college student, to me being high level just meant the ability to kill more thing.

Skunkape
08-08-2007, 06:22 AM
As a college student, to me being high level just meant the ability to kill more thing.

Never had that symptom myself! Course, I was heavily into writing fiction at that time so I approached my characters the same way I would approach a character for a book.

But using your current job experience is a good way to combine your knowledge to create an in depth character.

Grimwell
08-09-2007, 01:27 AM
1) If you are above the age of 30, how do you see/feel your gaming has changed since you've become older?
When I moved from my teens into the college arena my gaming changed in that I began to look deeper into the game. It wasn't a list of monsters for my friends to kill in my adventures - it was adventure, exploration of identities, and yes the thrill of battle.

In my mid-twenties I realized that the most important thing about gaming was the company around me. So the games became more about fun and less about anything else. Fun in the context of a game though. If we have a good adventure, share a good story, and laugh and eat and drink while we play - it is a success. I still want a good bit of action, but with friends.

2) What do you look for in a game?
Friends and fun. I have a wife and kids, and precious little time to game - so when i do get to game I want to have a good time. Intense gaming sessions where I try to sort out a serious problem for my character is fun, so I'm not saying 'beer and pretzels' gaming; but good gaming.

3) What do you dislike the most in another player?
A lack of social skills. I want someone who can come to my house to game, or just to visit. They need to be able to interact with my wife (who likes gamers) and my kids. There are a number of gamers out there who have problems in normal social settings, and I don't want to inflict that discomfort upon my family.

I don't know if it's 30 specifically (I'm 35), but I would say 'growing older' does change gamers some. You have a lot of life cutting into your time, and life experience as well to bring to the table. I'd imagine that at 45 I'll be the 'same gamer with more experience' as compared to me at 35.

I have yet to read any responses, so I didn't taint my own. :)

The average person playing video games on the net is pushing 35. The average person on MySpace (where we can lie about our age) is 35. The average D&D player is growing older too, but we can bring our kids along with us! I see this as a huge benefit to the industry.

Gaming is normal. People of all ages play games, including roleplaying games. The old closet/shame of the 1980's is an item of the past and the sooner the industry realizes that the customers are actually the middle of America, the sooner they can expand their product reach.

Video games (my industry) are just as guilty mind you.

...but aging gamers, are good things - even if age changes us.

OOOOH
6) The widest age range I have ever been in a group with ranged from 16 - 54 with a stop in each decade. The games went fine and we played for years. Relocation stopped us, not age.

Argent
08-14-2007, 12:09 PM
Well, I just turned 38 and I've been playing this game since I was 10. I'd say, quite honestly, that my style of play has changed along with the D&D game itself. I came up through the early hack 'n slash days, and then developed into more "mature" role-playing at about the time that the game did.

But I am definitely more into good solid role-playing more than I was when I was younger. Not that I don't enjoy combat encounters, but I want them to be for a reason, not just "you kick open the next door oh there are some skeletons please roll for initiative".

I also don't waste time when I get together to play. I still like to socialize, but with time of limited quantity these days my play time is definitely my play time. We can always go grab a beer after, but right now, PLAY D&D. :D

Ed Zachary
08-15-2007, 10:07 AM
- Is this your game? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmgLOKRl5J0)... Or this? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyiKU7JoxF8)

Skunkape
08-15-2007, 12:34 PM
Actually, I prefer this game (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5825493270005637835&q=farador)!

Warning, not for younger audiences!

Moritz
08-15-2007, 01:39 PM
- Is this your game? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmgLOKRl5J0)... Or this? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyiKU7JoxF8)

Ed, these rock.

Ed Zachary
08-15-2007, 02:55 PM
Actually, I prefer this game (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5825493270005637835&q=farador)!

LMFAO... Great find Skunkape!

Moritz
08-15-2007, 03:52 PM

"...your posterior is agreeable."

!!!

Skunkape
08-17-2007, 06:25 AM
LMFAO... Great find Skunkape!

Thanks. I had co-workers looking at me fun while I was watching it the first time!:D

rabkala
08-17-2007, 10:12 PM
Very funny stuff. My next character is Boba Fet.

Malruhn
10-14-2007, 08:53 PM
1) I am presently 45, and started gaming at 18, so I've accumulated a bit of experience...

I quickly got out of the hack-n-slash era after about two years or so of gaming, and started getting more into role-playing vice roll-playing. Since then, I think it's only gotten more extreme.

2) What do you look for in a game?
As a DM, I look for epic stories... something that could be made into a kick-ass movie. As a player, I look for the same things. I want to remember each and every minute of a game because it was so very vivid. I want to be hated in ten years for being able to recount how Boba Fett encountered the hospitable posterior in living color, exactly as it happened that night... (great vid, by the way!!)

I want a memorable character - or game - and not just the be the hero or anti-hero or whatever. I MAY want to be the uber-kickasso warrior for one game, but the next character may want to find the perfect song to whistle as he picks your pockets clean. It's all about character creation for me... all the other stuff is fluff.

3) Dislikes are small. I think immature gamers, or those that refuse to roll-play anything bother me the most. I can deal with about anything, as long as it makes sense in the STORY. If Bob min-maxes and power-games his fighter, it had better be part of the story-line. I recently finished a campaign arc with a guy playing a warforged fighter that wanted to grow up to be a jaugernaut... so it made perfect sense for him to min-max and power-game. The rogue in the party, however, pissed me off to no end, as it DIDN'T make sense for him to do the same thing.

4) I'm definitely not the same gamer I was when I was when I was 18 - but I'm pretty close to how I was by the time I was 25. I believe, however (actually, I PRAY) that I am a better/smoother DM than I was back then.

5) I think this is a personal question - and some people just like different things. Some people grow up LIKING power-gaming and not role-playing. Some people play D&D and then "grow up" and quit.

I play because I enjoy it. I drink only rarely and I don't do drugs... I don't sleep around on my wife and I don't beat her or the kids... so I don't really have an outlet other than killing kobolds and saving damsels in distress.

I like the teamwork and friendship that is shared around a gaming table. I like the diversity of people and backgrounds that can be brought together with some books and funny-shaped dice. I like killing kobolds.

I've gamed at tables where all the gamers were all within a year or two of age, and I've gamed at tables with the youngest was 13 and the oldest was 61 (48 years). I've had gays and straights at the same table, as well as devout Satanists, atheists and Southern Baptists sitting in D&D communion.

Yeah, I love this stupid game.

RealmsDM
10-15-2007, 05:50 PM

(about to be 29yrs old) I've gotten much more detail oriented in my design (adventure, PC & NPC, spells, just about everything) I go for a certain degree of realism, but still get creative as possible, since it is a FANTASY game!
As far as type of game & what I look for, I like creating stories. D&D is also fun for me in that its the one constant that my old friends & me still have in common. And lastly it will always remind me of the summertime D&D sessions in my backyard in candlelight playing the Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth- the basement sessions of Against the Giants- the first time my big brother let me play with his friends & then killed my in the Tomb of Horrors.. nostalgia man... cool
As being a 30something gamer, I'd say you value the time spent playing D&D as well as the prep time for it. Its a labor of love to make an adventure, and its a scheduled event that you look forward to when you get to play.

For the most part, I've played with the same group(s) of people my whole life, give or take a few people. I'd love to join another group, or have someone join mine, but there is that certain part of me that likes the style of D&D we play, and doesn't want someone changing it. Besides, no one would ever be able to catch up on almost 20 yrs of inside jokes that have occured while playing this nerdy game that I hold so dear. :o

spotlight
10-15-2007, 06:24 PM
I amd apove Thirty alright. (50). I sarted in rpg when I was 17 and dicovered Melee and Wizard, later to be The Fantacy Trip. I even had a copy af Chainmail, though I never actually had a chance to play, (small town in the Panhandle of Texas, pop 125. Really).

Many years later, I was introduced to Champions and realized what role-play really could be.

Just a few years ago, I came across a group that actually still played that old TFT game. They had made a few house mods of course, but I learned how little I knew about real role play.

Nowadays I leave powergaming to dnd3.5 and others. Give me a game where I can do what I like with what ever I got. And if I gotta fight a monster or something, I'll just pick up the nearest tree branch or rock or whatever.