PDA

View Full Version : Favorite d20 Settings

fmitchell
08-01-2007, 10:51 PM
Since a previous thread got slightly muddled, I'd like to open this poll to find out what d20 Modern settings and rules people are using.

fmitchell
08-02-2007, 10:04 AM
BTW, since I don't like d20 that much, but wanted to vote in my own poll, I'd have to say "other".

True20 looks interesting, but I've yet to play it. (And I forgot to add it to the poll.)

I sometimes raid d20/OGL sources for ideas, but end up converting them to FATE, GURPS, or RuneQuest. (Technically, RuneQuest is OGL ... but not d20-compatible by a long shot.)

While I appreciate the core d20 mechanic, I prefer skill-based systems. So I'm intermittently working on a rule set which uses *only* skills, even for areas normally covered by basic stats or levels. Actually, Blue Devil Games's Passages takes that approach, but they've yet to release a "generic" version.

In all honesty, though, I did play in Gary's "Midnight" game and enjoyed it ... except for the combats, which tended to drag with seven players. (Sorry, Gary.)

Moritz
08-02-2007, 10:19 AM
Star Wars d20

fmitchell
08-02-2007, 10:22 AM
Star Wars d20

Original or Saga Edition? I've heard some good things about Saga Edition.

Oh, and if the guy who voted for "Homebrew Past (incl. Fantasy)" could elaborate, I'd be very interested.

Moritz
08-02-2007, 10:25 AM
I've not yet even touched the saga edition. And I've not played the d20 in over a year. I just like being all nostalgic and saying it. I do like the game mechanics of d20 but in this I chose Star Wars because of the fact it's Star Wars.

rabkala
08-05-2007, 07:39 PM
I would have to say, Home brew future. I hate being overly constrained by a written setting. I tend to abhor the setting elitists which want to give a lecture about every minuscule detail. I guess my universe is just big enough to hold them all somewhere.

Moritz
08-20-2007, 08:51 AM
Oh, I was doing a little reading on Buck Rogers yesterday and found that there's a d20 Buck Rogers RPG out there. I was shocked.

PS: Wilma in the blue jumpsuit was hawt.

Jonas Boggs
08-20-2007, 09:32 PM
I voted for Dark Matter because we are starting a campaign with it now. However, I just got my Monte Cook WoD book and I am starting to flesh out a long term campaign of my own design, so I think that will soon be my favorite

pawsplay
10-22-2007, 09:51 PM
I'm biased, but Dawning Star is a great sci-fi adventure setting.

Drohem
11-27-2007, 03:24 PM
I ran a successful Urban Arcana campaign based in Hollywood, CA. I used to live in Los Angeles and most of the players still lived there, so it was easy to incorporate real places and landmarks into the campaign.

I really like the concept of creatures integrating into our world with no hope of returning to their old worlds. Also, the fact that their memories of their old world fade eventually.

Snuffy
11-30-2007, 08:16 AM
Hello - I voted other simply because I haven't played any of the d20 games. I'm interested in checking the d20 out, but is there a core rule book for d20 or it by setting (ie Star Wars)? Thanks!

BTW - other for me was Rifts rules with some tweaks. I've been throwing their timeline out the window and tweaking some rules just to simplify/quicken gameplay sometimes.

fmitchell
11-30-2007, 10:41 AM
I'm interested in checking the d20 out, but is there a core rule book for d20 or it by setting (ie Star Wars)?

EDIT: As Drohem mentions below, d20 is split into plain "d20" (the Open Gaming License, or OGL, parts of D&D) and "d20 Modern" (the subject of this subforum). Confusing matters further, WotC certifies a "d20" logo on all d20-based games that meet certain conditions, such as requiring the D&D books; games without this certification must call themselves "OGL". Informally, though, most people consider any game using the d20 SRD (System Reference Document) or d20 Modern SRD a "d20 RPG".

d20 Modern is the core book from WotC, with d20 Future, d20 Apocalypse, etc. as add-ons. WotC converted Dark Matter and Star*Drive, once settings for Alternity, to d20 Modern/Future.

Others have taken the d20 SRD or d20 Modern SRD and created settings (sometimes with new/modified rules) under the OGL license. Examples include Mongoose's OGL line, Spycraft, and Arthaus's Gamma World.

Star Wars started off as a setting for d20 (Modern?), but Star Wars Saga Edition is essentially its own d20-based rules system (on a par with True20). A lot of ideas from Saga Edition were trial runs of features slated for D&D 4e.

Grinnen Baeritt
11-30-2007, 10:52 AM
Since there wasn't an option of "All the Above" I voted for "Other".

I'm not exactly enamoured by D20 period, however, the poll was "which do you use.."

Some of the reference material in the d20 books is very well set out and tend to contain some good ideas and information.

I own quite a few of the OGL sci-fi stuff (Modern, Armeggedon 2089, Farscape and a few others, these I will pillage as I see fit to use in my own games.. which aren't generally D20.

With respect to "Dark Matter", "Star*Drive" and "Aftermath" I MUCH prefer the Alternity rules.

Drohem
11-30-2007, 11:00 AM
Hello - I voted other simply because I haven't played any of the d20 games. I'm interested in checking the d20 out, but is there a core rule book for d20 or it by setting (ie Star Wars)? Thanks!

The 3.5 Dungeons & Dragons Player's Handbook is the core book for d20 fantasy and has no setting tied to it directly. Forgotten Realms and Eberron are the officially supported campaign settings for D&D by Wizards of the Coast and each has a separate campaign book detailing the settings, and setting specific rules.

The d20 Modern core book is the rulebook for non-fantasy d20 games. There is no specific setting tied to the d20 Modern core book, but it does have several campaign concepts briefly outlined to give the GM an idea. Urban Arcana is a d20 Modern campaign setting based in today's modern world, and has details on running a d20 Modern campaign with some D&D fantasy elements cross-over.

Unfortunately, d20 Modern hasn't been supported greatly by WotC. However, Green Ronin Publishing has produced some excellent d20 Modern books.

If you're an experienced GM and don't want to use pre-established WotC campaign settings, then all you really need for fantasy is the 3.5 Player's Handbook, Dungeon Master's Guide, and Monster Manual (these three together are the core books for d20 fantasy) or the d20 Modern Core book. There are enough suggestions and ideas in these core books so that you can create your own campaign settings.

Also, there is a sleigh-full of third-party d20 fantasy materials out there, so that literally any campaign setting under the sun could be found in print.

fmitchell
11-30-2007, 02:37 PM
The 3.5 Dungeons & Dragons Player's Handbook is the core book for d20 fantasy and has no setting tied to it directly.

Since this is the d20 Modern subforum, I saw "d20 Modern" where the previous poster put "d20". Thanks for pointing out that "d20" encompasses both the D&D/fantasy ruleset and the Modern/Future/etc rules.

I've corrected my post above, for no other reason than I hate being incorrect.

Drohem
11-30-2007, 04:06 PM
hehehe...no problem.

Fsuphilosophy09
12-01-2007, 09:29 AM
I created my own d20 modern setting its part modern part future pl 6.5 basically heres the supplemental

tell me what ya think?

D20 Modern: First Contact
The year is 2100 and the world is a completely different place. The raping of the environment due to Global warming has ushered in a revamped Jurassic age where temperatures rarely drop lower than the high 60's. Many scientists of the twenty-first century thought global warming would destroy life as we know it as temperatures rise uncontrollably but the new climate has created a lush growth all over the world. Deserts suddenly became plains lands, plains became light forests, and forests became full out lush jungles. The jungles of the twenty-first century are now a new breed of climate the nearly impassable “Super Jungle”. This new direction of ecosystem has dramatically changed civilization due to the eager and forced move to improved renewable resources in the twenty-second century.
The wanton use of fossil fuels and non-renewable resources has long been dead. Scientists and corporations evolved to basic renewable resources such as solar, geo-thermal, wind, wave, and the in some instances even simple compressed air machines. This new energy output brought with it new corporations dealing entirely with advancing technology. Think tanks designed to push society into the new unchartered technologies. One of the corporations, Kaku Inc. made the discovery that would forever change the world in the year 2052, Fusion energy. The new advancement allowed society to completely remove itself from expendable energy sources. The advancements created vehicles and power production methods requiring no fueling, expending no waste product, and that could run nearly for an unlimited amount of time. This new advancement would thrust society into a new arena of political governing body, the mega-corporation.
In the year 2060, just 8 years after society accepted fusion technology, Kaku Inc. made a bold move and attempted to overthrow a governmental body. The world as we knew it would be thrust into a new type of world war. The nations of the world allied against the corporations, but would ultimately fail in their endeavor lacking the resources and technological advancement of the mega-corporations mercenary shock troops. In the aftermath of “The Corporation Wars” the nations of the old earth were disbanded and a new form of government were established where the lines between “citizen” and “employee” were completely blurred. People lived in societies founded, based around, and governed by the corporation for which they work for. Fearing rebellion, corporate hostility, and ultimate self destruction the corporations all signed treaties disbanding the major military forces of the old world powers and instead making new corporations whose mercenary war fighting services were sold to all available corporations who could afford them.
Imagine being able to fight for any cause merely for the sake of payment. Being above the law, nay being THE law as hired by the corporation in the area where you choose to live and work. The only down side would be that you would be at the mercy and will of the major corporation which hires you. The leading military corporation is Sicario Inc. they are known for their technological advancements as well as their ability to field most any kind of military, law enforcement, or investigative force. From the simplest task to the most complex military campaign Sicario Inc. can conduct simple investigation missions, out right counter-interdictions, and full out military assualts for the right price.
As an Employee of Sicario Inc. you are organized into regiments, the regiments are further broken down into companies, companies into platoons, and platoons into teams. Each unit is used and deployed based on the contract Sicario Inc. is hired for. AS an example if Sicario were to be hired for a large scale assault the entire regimental force you belong to may be moved out and deployed to an engagement theater. The company is very protective of its employees and all employees are injected with a nano-technology package up being hired and successfully completing a training mission. The nano-package consists of a communications colony, a bio-monitoring colony, and of course the localized GPGAN access and control module. Represent us well soldier.

“Sicario Inc. your all-purpose military solutions firm.”

rabkala
01-05-2008, 01:50 PM
Its not earth shattering or revolutionary, but a nice little set up for a game. The mega-corp military outfit can be a good backdrop for all sorts of adventure.

I wish more people liked d20 modern/future, all my games have been fun while using it.

Mulsiphix
01-05-2008, 04:42 PM
I went with Homebrew Future as Homebrew Space is my setting of choice. I'm not one for modern campaigns at all. Past, Future, Alternate Timeline, or Alternate Reality/Dimensions/Planes are all I'm interested in pursuing. I play games to be transported to other existences in my mind, not to play under extraordinary circumstances in modern times ;)

nijineko
01-06-2008, 12:18 AM
i was very happy to see the release of the star frontiers races in d20 future. d20 star frontiers has to be my vote! =D

Mulsiphix
01-06-2008, 12:35 AM
Was Star Frontiers really that good? Your the first to mention it and I've done A LOT of space RPG research lately. If it is worth checking out, what do you like about it? What sets it apart from the competition?

nijineko
01-06-2008, 01:23 AM
probably whom i played with, and the fact that it was my first rpg actually playing with someone. i had read copious amounts of rpg and talked incessantly about it, causing my mom to worry i was going over to the dark side for a while... but had never at that point played in a real session before. then a friend of mine set me up with sf0 and it was great! natsukashii dayo!

it's actually rather clunky and came with a bunch of little punchout tiles for your pieces. it was rather amusing to have the character tiles be the same size as hovervan tiles, or dinocat tiles, or even starship tiles! the fact that it uses the metric system lent an extra scifi feel to it, but made estimating distances rather a pain! the tech was medium-to-light complex with a decent assortment of gear available, it was simple enough to be up and ready in a relatively short amount of time so that you could get on with starhopping to strange new worlds and explore!

another thing that appealed to me was the whole lost terra thing implied in the text. alpha dawn (the first boxed set) had everything you needed to get up and running. knight hawks had more tech, more adventures, and best of all, starship construction rules! (see nero's streamlined custom version for best results) some of the other expansions covered cybernetics and psionics. all in all, it fit very nicely with my ideal of "rough frontier exploration among ancient alien civilizations and ruins" for science-fiction that i had developed from a young age, courtesy of andre norton. =D

but it's feel was great, and the potential was there, if you were willing to do a little tinkering. after all, who wouldn't want to be a dralasite, or a vrusk, or a yazirian? and explore other planets? and find lost artifacts? alien civilizations? sign up as a bounty hunter? poke the thieves guild one in the eye? and then run for your lives? great fun!

rabkala
01-06-2008, 02:08 AM
Star Frontiers was my first foray into space. It will always hold a special place in my heart. Most of it could be converted to d20 modern/future rules. I have borrowed several things from it for my games and run several of the adventures. Next time I will try to type it up on my computer for mass consumption. Look at all this great stuff!

http://www.starfrontiers.com/modules/

rabkala
01-06-2008, 02:15 AM
Anyone interested in a Star*Drive conversion to D20? Some good stuff out there for that setting as well.

http://starforge.motime.com/

Mulsiphix
01-06-2008, 04:20 AM
Thanks for the extended info nijineko. Thank you for the links rabkala. While were on the subject of space games, has anybody here played Star Fleet Battles, Space Opera, or Spacemaster? Again if you have, where they any good?

Bloodwyrm
01-15-2008, 04:07 PM
iv'e only brushed to surface on d20 modern looking at more so ill post more when i get more books. decent so far tho.

Drohem
01-16-2008, 03:04 PM
iv'e only brushed to surface on d20 modern looking at more so ill post more when i get more books. decent so far tho.

I really dig d20 Modern. I love the concept of each of the six Basic classes being based off of one of the six Attributes. I am running an Urban Arcana campaign and it's been going great.

MortonStromgal
01-19-2008, 01:00 AM
Sidewinder. So I'm not into westerns or d20 but I like Sidewinder so that says something :D

Mulsiphix
01-19-2008, 02:10 AM
Have you got a link to Sidewinder? I couldn't find a wiki for it. I googled it real quick but couldn't find the product page from the company who makes.

MortonStromgal
01-19-2008, 02:36 AM
http://www.greenronin.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=grr1408

Mulsiphix
01-19-2008, 02:39 AM
Holy crap this sounds fun. I've been on a western movie binge lately and was considering writing a western setting for GURPS. This is sexy indeed. Many thanks for bringing this to my attention MortonStromgal :D

Drohem
01-19-2008, 03:11 AM
Have you got a link to Sidewinder? I couldn't find a wiki for it. I googled it real quick but couldn't find the product page from the company who makes.

http://www.greenronin.com/catalog/grr1408

Drohem
01-19-2008, 03:13 AM
Holy crap this sounds fun. I've been on a western movie binge lately and was considering writing a western setting for GURPS. This is sexy indeed. Many thanks for bringing this to my attention MortonStromgal :D

Yeah, I have Sidewinder and Sidewinder: Recoiled and they rock. Sidewinder: Recoiled is better because it's based off d20 Modern rules.

nijineko
01-19-2008, 11:04 AM
i'm going to get seriously samurai on the first person who suggests that the magnificent seven is an awesome cowboy movie without giving credit to the original story it was ripped off of, "the seven samurai". (the new anime samurai7 wasn't bad either.) =D

that having been said, i love samurai flicks, and westerns are only a weapon, clothes, accent and scenery change away. ^^

Mulsiphix
01-19-2008, 12:56 PM
that having been said, i love samurai flicks, and westerns are only a weapon, clothes, accent and scenery change away. ^^You must have been a big fan of The Last Samurai then eh? Stupid westerners :mad:

rabkala
01-19-2008, 01:08 PM
I loved the Zatoichi the blind swordsman movies. I must have seen at least 20 of those. Good stuff.
The whole Tokugawa era seems to capture the imagination in a special way. Did you ever play the Nobunga's Ambition video games? Great games.

Mulsiphix
01-19-2008, 01:29 PM
I always wanted to but never got around to it *shakes his fist at Squaresoft and Square/Enix*. Wasn't it a strategy game like Axis and Allies with a rich story?

Snuffy
01-21-2008, 08:02 AM
You must have been a big fan of The Last Samurai then eh? Stupid westerners :mad:

Yojimbo was a good movie. I think several movies were made from that, most recent one I can remember was Last Man Standing. The one about the Seven Samurai was the basis for the Magnificent Seven.

Mulsiphix
01-21-2008, 09:25 AM
Last Man Standing was awesome. Mafia + Western = A Truly Surprising Delight :D

nijineko
01-21-2008, 11:49 AM
You must have been a big fan of The Last Samurai then eh? Stupid westerners :mad:

actually, never watched that one. isn't a "real" samurai movie. tom cruise ruined it. ;D

actually, that has nothing to do with why i didn't watch it. i'm one of those rare odd people who does not watch anything rated worse than pg-13. makes it a bit easier to pick movies come date night. ^^

however, i've watched most of kurosawa akira's and mifune toshiro's movies. some great samurai flicks there. i love yojimbo and sakuranbo. among others.

zatoichi was awesome also. when i lived in japan i met this buddhist priest who was the spitting image of zatoichi, and even sounded like him too! except he wasn't blind. he was flattered by the comparison (honestly, he looked like zatoichi reincarnated!) so he took me out to his ferrari and pulled out his golf bag of weapons (he had another golf bag of clubs...) and gave me two bokktou (wooden practice sords) with his mark on the hilt. i still have those. ^^

oh, and back to starfrontiers for a bit: check out the new sister site! StarFrontiers 2 (http://www.starfrontiers.org)

Drohem
01-21-2008, 12:41 PM
Thanks for the Star Frontiers link. :)

Mulsiphix
01-22-2008, 01:13 AM
The Last Samurai was too a real samurai flick. Tom cruise ruins everything but the setting was quite accurate. Have you at least seen Shogun?!

gdmcbride
01-22-2008, 05:35 PM
The Last Samurai was too a real samurai flick. Tom cruise ruins everything but the setting was quite accurate. Have you at least seen Shogun?!

There is a nearby alternative universe where Ken Watanabe is the lead actor of "The Last Samurai" and it is an amazing poignant movie -- the Japanese equivalent of "Gone with the Wind". In our world, it was a mediocre disheveled blockbuster with a few memorable scenes.

Gary

nijineko
01-28-2008, 07:54 AM
never! (i did read the book though. which i might wind up doing with that movie too, if i ever find the book.)

tesral
01-28-2008, 09:47 AM
How about no favorite. I've barely dabbled in this system. I will say that it has some interesting ideas I do like, the wealth system being my favorite. It will likely get "borrowed" for every non-fantasy game I run.

I'm not too keen on the rampant and expected multi-classing, but that could be the old DM in me sticking its head up.

Mulsiphix
01-28-2008, 10:52 AM
I'm not too keen on the rampant and expected multi-classing, but that could be the old DM in me sticking its head up.*cough* choose other *cough* Jeez I really need to get something for this damn cold :rolleyes:

Drohem
01-28-2008, 01:26 PM
How about no favorite. I've barely dabbled in this system. I will say that it has some interesting ideas I do like, the wealth system being my favorite. It will likely get "borrowed" for every non-fantasy game I run.

I'm not too keen on the rampant and expected multi-classing, but that could be the old DM in me sticking its head up.

I assume you are speaking about d20 Modern.

Yes, it's the old DM in you. Give it a second look, and I think you'll be pleasantly suprised. :)

Maybe not, but that's cool as well.

tesral
01-29-2008, 12:19 AM
I assume you are speaking about d20 Modern.

Yes, it's the old DM in you. Give it a second look, and I think you'll be pleasantly suprised. :)

Maybe not, but that's cool as well.

I don't play much "modern" RPG. Fantasy is my favorite flavor. When I do Modern it is usually Bureau-13 with a sort of off the cuff on the fly on-line thing. I have a game going now with Jay Hailey.

I frankly don't like classes for Modern play, too restricting. Give me a skill system. That said d20 Modern has some interesting ideas and concepts that bear examining.

ahzad
01-29-2008, 11:57 AM
I voted Spycraft in the poll. For me it's quickly becoming the only game system I want to play and I've played many, many different games over my 30 years of gaming. I know other folks have their favorites and I'm not going to try and convince others to my choice. One of the big factors for Spycraft for me was the robust skill system the system has under their system your skill based characters shine just as much as the combat oriented characters IMO. Another was the Dramatic Conflicts system for chases, hacking, seduction etc.. I liked that the character classes were 'heroic' meaning that they are more powerful than their counterparts in other game systems. I play these games primarily to play heroic characters. Every now and again I play the ordinary man and when I did it was Call of Cthulhu for me, but since the Crafty guys have released Back to Basics I can now play those characters under their system. So Coc is played with the Spycraft game engine now, and with Fragile Minds I can play the type of CoC that my group wants to play.

Someone asked about Star Fleet Battles. I've played and while it's the best starship combat game I've ever played it's very complex at times. ADB a few years ago went back to the drawing board after listening to player feedback at cons, and on their boards and redesigned the game to attract new players, it's called Federation Commander it's everything SFB was, but a bit more streamlined and easier to play. I enjoy it a lot more and it's easier to get new players to try it out, and it's not hard to upgrade to the more advanced SFB if you and your players find you like it, but we've never bothered to go back to SFB, Federation Commander works well for us.

Mulsiphix
01-29-2008, 01:35 PM
Federation Commander eh? This is something I will be tracking down. The only reason I haven't looked into SFB is that everybody has so far stated it is a bit on the complex side and can be quite time consuming. I'm all for good strategy sessions but the general feel of the feedback was that it was more cumbersome and not so much fun. Federation Commander sounds like it might be something worth picking up. Thanks for the referal ahzad ;)

ahzad
01-29-2008, 02:09 PM
Federation Commander eh? This is something I will be tracking down. The only reason I haven't looked into SFB is that everybody has so far stated it is a bit on the complex side and can be quite time consuming. I'm all for good strategy sessions but the general feel of the feedback was that it was more cumbersome and not so much fun. Federation Commander sounds like it might be something worth picking up. Thanks for the referal ahzad ;)

you can get a free demo of Federation Commander from ADB's website to see if you might like it before you buy it. http://www.starfleetgames.com/federation/

Mulsiphix
01-29-2008, 09:35 PM
Outstanding! You rock ahzad ;)

ahzad
01-30-2008, 08:38 AM
Outstanding! You rock ahzad ;)

no problem, just doing my best to spread the word about a great tactical starship combat game. :)

nijineko
02-02-2008, 01:49 PM
i'll go ahead and check it out too. sounds interesting. =D might be the new star frontiers rules for my games. ^^

someonelse
03-14-2008, 02:01 PM
The 3.5 Dungeons & Dragons Player's Handbook is the core book for d20 fantasy and has no setting tied to it directly. Forgotten Realms and Eberron are the officially supported campaign settings for D&D by Wizards of the Coast and each has a separate campaign book detailing the settings, and setting specific rules.

That is not entirely accurate. The 3.5 PHB is specific to the Greyhawk campaign setting. They also support the Living Greyhawk campaign setting.

I voted for homebrew modern because I only just got into D20 Modern a few days ago. I have been DMing D&D games for many years though.

My all time favorite science fiction series is the robots and foundation series by Isaac Asimov, does anyone know if they ever made an RPG out of that? If not I will probably do it on my own one of these days.

Drohem
03-14-2008, 04:58 PM
That is not entirely accurate. The 3.5 PHB is specific to the Greyhawk campaign setting.

I couldn't find any direct references to the Greyhawk campaign milieu. Other than the name of gods and some spell names, I found nothing specifically in the 3.5 PHB relating it directly to the Greyhawk campaign.

Can you provide some examples or page references please? :)

someonelse
03-14-2008, 07:01 PM
uh.... ya, the names of the gods and the names of spells.

someonelse
03-14-2008, 07:08 PM
upon actually looking for a reference the only thing I can find is the image of a Greyhawk coin on page 168.
The book is specific to the greyhawk setting, but it is neutral enough that it can easily be used in any setting.

kipling
03-14-2008, 08:29 PM
Well, I disagree about it being suitable for *any* setting--I can think of many that it isn't suitable for. (There are too many nonhumans for Conan, for example.) But even if it uses the gods and species of Greyhawk, it's reasonably adaptable.

Drohem
03-14-2008, 09:46 PM
upon actually looking for a reference the only thing I can find is the image of a Greyhawk coin on page 168.
The book is specific to the greyhawk setting, but it is neutral enough that it can easily be used in any setting.

Yeah, they just use those gods as examples so the paladin, cleric, and druid classes can be seen in context. The PHB is not specific to the Greyhawk milieu because there is no campaign information specifically dedicated to Greyhawk; i.e. no description of the city of Greyhawk and its environs, no maps, and no discussion of cultures.

someonelse
03-15-2008, 02:21 PM
Yeah, they just use those gods as examples so the paladin, cleric, and druid classes can be seen in context. The PHB is not specific to the Greyhawk milieu because there is no campaign information specifically dedicated to Greyhawk; i.e. no description of the city of Greyhawk and its environs, no maps, and no discussion of cultures.

Ya, in the context of greyhawk.
this is a stupid thing to argue about anyway so I'm not going to.
Its retarded to say that even though everything in it that is campaign specific is specific to greyhawk, its not greyhawk.
I mean WTF?
:confused:

fmitchell
03-15-2008, 11:04 PM
I hate to be hall monitor, but this thread is for discussing d20 Modern, not merits or flaws of the D&D Players Handbook.

Drohem
03-16-2008, 03:31 AM
Who's arguing? :confused:

I disagree with your statement, that's all. It's all good. If you believe that it's tied to Greyhawk, then that's cool. I was just discussing it since you brought it up, but if you don't wnat to continue then that's cool too.

kipling
03-16-2008, 03:50 PM
I usually do homebrews, but Dark*Matter has a lot of cool things in it.

I was thinking about the pirates one in d20 Past but it was too D&Dish for me. (But pirates and Call of Cthulhu would rock!)

tesral
03-17-2008, 01:19 AM
Homebrew, What ifs, mix and mash, that sort of thing.

My favorite home brew is to take to cultures, that in reality have never met and mash them together. Say Medieval Spain and the Hindu Empire. Or Renaissance Italy meets South African apartheid with Humans as the oppressed majority.

Webhead
04-22-2008, 09:11 PM
My favorite d20 setting/mini game would have to be Jonathan Tweet's Omega World from Polyhedron #153. Really awesome post-apocalyptic science-fantasy. There's not much d20 stuff that excites me, but Omega World is fantastic! And it's an awesome homage to the old Gamma World to boot!

DragonmagRT
05-02-2009, 12:11 PM
I really do not have a favorite d20 setting. I do love a whole lot of the ones that are based off movies and tv series (like Star Wars/Trek/Gate, etc). I also enjoy the D20 Modern setting with all the future and past books, as well as the Urban Arcana setting. I may be using the D20 Modern to set up my own RPG version of the AT-43 story and co-opt a more tactical combat style by using the AT-43 Tactics rules. Oy! So many options and so little time....

Deadone
05-02-2009, 07:37 PM
I love the Blood and Guts D20 Modern Military RPG myself.

Dark
05-03-2009, 07:13 AM
Truth be know I haven't played or GMed a bad one using d20 Modern rules yet but I like the home brewed ones best.

Wraith
08-12-2009, 09:59 PM
My d20 Modern Homebrew is spawned from the film Boondock Saints. Basically the game picks up a year after the end of the film, and "Saints" have gathered in major cities across the states.

PC's can themselves be Saints, cops, Feds, or anyone else on the side of the vigilantes.

It's been fun... real fun!!

Wraith

Deadone
08-13-2009, 12:00 PM
Truth be know I haven't played or GMed a bad one using d20 Modern rules yet but I like the home brewed ones best.

The ones I've played in were fun so long as the GM is up to it.

merchant
08-24-2009, 02:22 PM
Silent Hill Modern d20 rpg :biggrin:

TheDarkestOfAngels
01-25-2010, 04:50 PM
personally, I really like the idea of a d20 modern/post-apocalyptic/future Terminator campaign. (Yes, I am aware of the future fate pdf file. I like the idea, but dislike much of the implimentation of the machine's stats.)

KethmarRPG
03-03-2010, 08:22 AM
My vote for my favorite published setting is still "Year of the Zombie" from UKG Publishing. Tim Willard really loves zombies, and it always showed in his work the level of research he's done. In a setting that's '20 seconds' into the future, it's a great zombie product. I regard it as the definitive d20 zombie product (with all respect to All Flesh Must Be Eaten, but the d20 tie-in for AFMBE was just that, a marketing tie-in).

Trexnco
03-03-2010, 09:10 AM
I personally think the OGL Steampunk kicked ass as a game.

Ronin
07-28-2010, 03:28 PM
Id like to try and do a zombie apoc game with d20 modern, they should dedicate a whole module or core rulebook to it :)

tesral
08-15-2010, 02:00 AM
For a board game on the subject "Last Night on Earth" looks like a good one.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
08-16-2010, 11:40 PM
Looks like the game has potential, tesral.

I enjoy and prefer D20 past.

tesral
08-17-2010, 06:10 AM
My basic problem with d20 is the scaling and granularity. For a modern game it is clunky. I'm used to this for fantasy. As written they do not allow for nearly enough skills. The D&D bones showing through. Too many things are treated as feats that should simply be givens. Firearms are not that complex in use to require two feats to use a sub-machine gun. I have hit the target with every gun I ever picked up. Including those I was totally unfamiliar with. I have never had firearms training. Ergo, empirical data suggests they are over complicating firearms. Why? Because they had done so with weapons in D&D 3.

Ironically a archaic weapons proficiency feat lets you use all the weapons that non fighters need two feats to use in D&D. Archery and sword fighting are skills far more separated than long and short gun-dou. It is trying to get the same balance to the preferred weapons that D&D has, and to my mind failing all over themselves.

MisterBook
01-19-2011, 12:55 PM
Mutants & Masterminds 2ed :)

---------- Post added at 12:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 PM ----------

I have hit the target with every gun I ever picked up. Including those I was totally unfamiliar with. I have never had firearms training.

Maybe you've just got a natural talent. Myself, I have never fired anything more than a pistol or a rifle. I couldn't say for sure I could hit a target with a three round burst from say an AK47.

Ergo, empirical data suggests they are over complicating firearms.

Personal observation is not empirical data. If this were true, then we'd still be thinking the planet is flat and that flies were created by meat left to rot.

Empirical Data: Data derived from reliable measurement or observation
en.wiktionary.org/wiki/empirical_data (http://www.google.com/url?ei=oSQ3TcTVE8jAgQen06nvAw&sig2=Oiooo4UUMwk3XZ401USuOw&q=http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/empirical_data&sa=X&ved=0CAUQpAMoAQ&usg=AFQjCNFlwCbToj9w_q7CuhRS0Z4I3KY6mQ)

---------- Post added at 12:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:52 PM ----------

Id like to try and do a zombie apoc game with d20 modern, they should dedicate a whole module or core rulebook to it :)

Check out Year of the Zombie by UKG Publishing. They did, I think, the best version of Zombie Survival Horror for d20 ever. I'm a huge zombie survival fan and that's one I would fall over myself to play. I have two copies of the hard copy book! :)

tesral
01-19-2011, 06:03 PM
The reliable observation that I have successful used every firearm I have ever picked up and fired. Sorry but I never saved all the targets. An AK-47 is just a different kind of rifle. It's not a whole new category of weapon as far as function. You might miss with the secord two rounds the first time, but will quickly learn to keep the muzzle lower and let the gun walk up into your target. It is not rocket science here. Using guns is not as hard as swordsmanship by far. Certainly not as hard as Archery (And I do Archery). IRL guns were picked up as infantry weapons becase you can make a gunner in a week, it takes two years to make a decent archer. As far as range and accuracy the early guns were far inferior to bows in every aspect except training time. It wasn't until the mid 19th century that guns finally caught up with and passed the Welsh Bow in range and killing power. A man with a Henry rifle could fire faster and as accurately over range with a fraction the training.

Put Brown Bess against the Welsh bow, professionals on both sides. The Musket troops will be dead before they get in killing range. Volume of fire is on the archery side. 3 a minute for the gun. 20 a minute for the archer (conservatively). Gun effective range 50 yards. Bow effective range 200 yards. Training time, now we are talking. Two weeks drill for the Redcoat, two years for the Archer.

If you have to raise an army from scratch, which do you reach for?

MisterBook
01-20-2011, 01:25 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jo5lj-arvy8

Just saying while you might be good when you first pick up a firearm, not everyone is. Especially when learning to fire bursts, that's why military train their soldiers as opposed to handing them a rifle, patting them on the butt and sending them off to war.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
01-20-2011, 02:33 PM
Ouch! LoL

tesral
01-20-2011, 09:17 PM
That's not a gun, that's a cannon in a gun suit.

The guy needs a pistol whipping for not warning her about the recoil and how to hold the thing.

shad0fx
08-13-2011, 04:05 PM
Chose Other, though i enjoy my pathfinder and D&D worlds, and have a longing to play some decent Heroes Unlimited campaigns... i am currently working on a few steampunk story arcs that will utilize pathfinder rules and such. Even found a site where i could incorporate "ironhides" (ie. Daleks) into the campaign. most of my group are Dr Who fans so i thought i'd throw them in there just for fun!

Mid-West Gamers Connect (MWGC) - Shad0fx!