PDA

View Full Version : Lurking for a while now....

Snuffy
08-01-2007, 07:25 AM
Hello Everyone!

Been lurking for a while now. Figure it's about time I posted.:D

I started off playing D&D in the early-mid '80s when they were in the old boxes. Those days people really looked at you strange if you brought up D&D like you were worshipping Satan and were going to commit suicide. Switched to playing Robotech in '86 when that came out. College years I didn't role-play much and then moved. Started playing Rifts last year and got a good group together. We break it up with CoC and other games.

-Mike

Ed Zachary
08-01-2007, 08:10 AM
I started off playing D&D in the early-mid '80s when they were in the old boxes. Those days people really looked at you strange if you brought up D&D like you were worshipping Satan and were going to commit suicide.

Ah yes... the good ole days... D&D and GLAM!

Moritz
08-01-2007, 08:11 AM
Welcome Snuffy

I'm totally remembering the Satan looks from the bible belters back in the 80's.

Snuffy
08-02-2007, 07:23 AM
Thanks guys!

Rain_Spider_08
08-02-2007, 12:56 PM
I started off playing D&D in the early-mid '80s when they were in the old boxes. Those days people really looked at you strange if you brought up D&D like you were worshipping Satan and were going to commit suicide.

Hi Snuffy :D ; I'll never forget some of the words a few people exchanged with me when I told them I was considering playing D&D way back in the day. The sheer amount of ignorant words coming out of those peoples mouths were astounding. "You'll get possessed by the devil if you play that game." ect ect ect... I told my mom I wanted to play it and she said "Go for it, some of the parents and teachers where I work play it and are looking for a rogue... whatever that is." I couldn't help but find that somewhat ironic :D

Skylon
08-02-2007, 02:16 PM
I'm reminded of the imafamous Chick Tract "Dark Dungeons." So quotable (A favorite amongst some of my friends is "But I don't want to be Elfstar, I want to be Debbie!" I also wondered why my GM was holding out on me when my cleric rewached 8th level. WHy didn't I ever get to learn real magic?

Moritz
08-02-2007, 02:34 PM
We were pretty lucky. Most of us were involved in the catholic church at the time and would go to mass on saturday nights. One of the players was a altar boy and Father Ron allowed us to play in the rectory after mass.

It kept the demons and satan from possessing us.

Farcaster
08-02-2007, 03:43 PM
LOL. Aye, I remember that one as well. Utter garbage. I don't know how they could expect to print stuff like that and keep any credibility whatsoever.

But, hey, if any of you need any extra minis...

PhishStyx
08-02-2007, 04:09 PM
Man, I never could get that spell to work right!! I'd cast it on my mom, and all she'd buy me was socks and khaki pants!

I must learn the Satanic ways of Elfstar!!

Moritz
08-02-2007, 04:59 PM
It's sad though, even in the 21st century, there's still those fanatics still out there that preach the evils of using your mind. I'll be glad if humanity ever moves beyond superstition. But I doubt it'll ever happen. Even in the 31st century some kid's going to be singled out for playing a 'satanic' game and labeled 'evil'.

Skunkape
08-03-2007, 06:46 AM
It's sad though, even in the 21st century, there's still those fanatics still out there that preach the evils of using your mind. I'll be glad if humanity ever moves beyond superstition. But I doubt it'll ever happen. Even in the 31st century some kid's going to be singled out for playing a 'satanic' game and labeled 'evil'.

That's human nature for you. Heck, look at what happens anywhere in the world over the color of someone's skin!

I'm not sure what it'll take or even if we'll ever mature enough as a race to grow beyond those kinds of things! Maybe if we end up getting attacked by some aliens, ala Independence Day!:D

Moritz
08-03-2007, 08:42 AM
They'd wipe us out. Cause there's no way in hell that some Mac is gonna communicate with an alien computer and upload a virus that will lead to the destruction of the aliens.

I'm actually surprised no aliens have wiped us out yet, just out of principle and to keep us from screwing up space like we've done here.

Skylon
08-03-2007, 09:28 AM
They'd wipe us out. Cause there's no way in hell that some Mac is gonna communicate with an alien computer and upload a virus that will lead to the destruction of the aliens.

I'm actually surprised no aliens have wiped us out yet, just out of principle and to keep us from screwing up space like we've done here.

It won't be a Mac that'll save us, it'll be a bunch of kids on an X-Box. One day we'll have a kid who knows that the enemy's gate is down.

Skunkape
08-06-2007, 07:59 AM

Ala the Day the World Stood Still?:D