PDA

View Full Version : Traveller

Baron
07-27-2018, 11:42 AM
Three of us on the West Side of Los Angeles are interested in playing Traveller, and hopefully switching off on Referee duties. I prefer Classic Traveller, another player has the complete Mongoose run of publications, the third guy is completely new to the game. Anyone interested? Thanks!

DMaster
04-08-2019, 03:32 PM
What nights do you play?

Baron
04-09-2019, 08:42 PM
Hi, we were playing every other Sunday. However, it looks like that group is falling apart. I'd like to put something together to replace it though. As I mentioned, Classic Traveller is my game. We could always recruit more players. Still interested?

DMaster
04-10-2019, 11:24 AM
Well... interested yes (It's why I posted, lol). As with many things, it's down to time and dates. I have a buddy that also plays Traveller, he might be interested. I will check with him. What time do you like to play on Sunday?

Last I played was the Mongoose system, but I would be surprised if there were any major differences. I think my friend has played both systems. How many players are you losing?

Baron
04-10-2019, 12:24 PM
At this point I can only represent myself. We'd be putting an all-new group together. I had inquiries from another participant, on another board. So with you and your friend that would be four gamers.

We'd need to set a time, frequency, place and referees. The old group was starting about 3:30pm every other Sunday, in a public setting in Culver City, but we can certainly consider other options. Weekends are best for me though.

As mentioned, Classic Traveller is my game of choice and what I'd run. If some of us are interested in rotating GM duties, I'd be happy to go first in the rotation.

I would love the chance to also be a player in Classic, but if anyone wants to run Mongoose, I'd acquiesce.

I played Mongoose, and I find that it has a very different feel, and different philosophy. These are the major differences I observed at the time (your mileage may vary):
(1) Character generation doesn't present a trade-off versus acquiring a high number of skill levels. While looking through Classic Traveller characters shows an average of between 4 and 6 levels of skills, Mongoose characters have an average of about 16 levels of skills. It's as if every Mongoose character had the skills of someone who stayed in the Navy for 20 years, and retired as an admiral.
(2) There are so many more skills in Mongoose. You don't get, say, Computer, there are multiple sub-skills and you must pick one. As a result, the game appears to be written to make it important to have all those skills in a party, thus leading to the character skill inflation compared with Classic. This changes the overall feel of the mechanics. In Classic your listed skills are your specialties, but you're certainly able to routinely perform actions without a specific relevant skill. In Mongoose your page-full of skills is a comprehensive list of exactly what you are able to do.
(3) Characters with multiple careers are common in Mongoose.
(4) Character stats (Str, Int etc) all have DMs associated with them, so your target number is going to be significantly easier than it was in Classic much of the time. Well, in addition to all the skill levels you'll have.
(5) The equipment and ships in Mongoose are very high tech compared to the stock Classic setting.

Again, those are just my experiences, and generalizations to boot. But moving back and forth between the two games, they appear very different in play. To me.