PDA

View Full Version : Cool things you've yanked (or have thought about yanking) from other rpg's to add to your games

kirksmithicus
06-07-2016, 09:34 PM
It seems to me that most rpg discussions center around what rules people don't like or which ones they think needs to be fixed. So instead I thought I would try to be more positive and talk about cool things in other games I like and often consider incorporating into a single Frankin' game.

Rolemaster - Critical hit charts. These were always quite funny back in the olden days of my misspent youth. I don't use them anymore, but I am seriously thinking about it again.
Palladium Fantasy - The spell system and spells are pretty cool. I also like the way armor is handled, in that it takes damage and degrades in effectiveness and needs to be repaired.
Twilight 2000 - Insta-kill rule that applies only to PC's. While I don't use the exact rule I now only allows PC's to crit. If I roll a 20 as DM it is just a hit, nothing special.
4e D&D - critical hit damage rules. Max weapon damage plus an additional weapon damage die roll. Because, seriously nothing sucks more than doing 2 damage on a crit.
5e D&D - short rests and self-healing, the show must go on.
Dragon Age RPG - melee stunt system is really cool and I would love to incorporate it into my current game. Also the way titles and honorific work is really worth incorporating into any game.
Savage Worlds - Edges and Hindrances are interesting. Was thinking of allowing PC's in current game to take one every third level. Game will most likely cap out at levels 10-12, so just a handful.

Well that's all I have for now.

Malruhn
06-17-2016, 04:48 PM
The number of things I've stolen are so many that I can't even BEGIN to count them.

Lucifer_Draconus
07-22-2016, 03:25 PM
Tieflings & Aasimars (from 3.5 D&D)
Black Powder weapons (from Iron Kingdoms 3.5)
Skyships (from Eberron 3.5)