PDA

View Full Version : Anyone still talking 4E? Why do I still like it.

Otakar
05-11-2016, 02:45 PM
I've been working on my Masters for the last 4 years (slow going I know but with family and job at least I finally got it done) and return to find my favorite version of 4e not even supported on WotC. :(
That's okay. I have enough 4e to last my lifetime but it seems many have moved on to 5e or other systems. Giant in the Playground has a small thread but if anyone wants to talk 4e I'm game.

I guess I still like it because as a DM (I usually DM) I actually get to play! In other versions even aside from the RP I felt that as DM I had to ensure battle wasn't a bore or a TPK. In 4e I don't feel that way. If I design the encounter as described in the DMG I can play the monsters as hard and as smart as I want. 9 out of 10 times the characters will usually win, sometimes barely.

Bottom line, if anyone wants to talk 4e I'm available.

Otakar
05-13-2016, 02:26 PM
Guess no one's talking. I'll check periodically. I guess I can understand, 5E can be just as good in regards to combat. It's a little simpler. It just doesn't have that "Last Action Hero" feeling that 4E has.
4E characters are tough as nails. 1st level characters can take on a young white dragon. It doesn't get much more fun than that!

kirksmithicus
06-07-2016, 12:36 AM
Personally I haven't played in a while and no one I know still plays. I just got burned out on it. Combat takes so long and you need a computer and deems of paper to create a character.

Although I don't think it is an inherently bad system. I was thinking it might not be bad if someone went the E6 route with it, got rid of all the feats and powers, basically just a skeletal framework.

Otakar
06-07-2016, 12:03 PM
Thanks for the reply. I guess I like the roll-play vs. the role play which is why most people play D&D and similar games anyway. Combat does take a long time. I think WotC should've marketed it differently. I remember them advertising getting through 2 encounters an hour. It's more like 2 hours per encounter if you have more than 3 people including the DM.

kirksmithicus
06-07-2016, 02:34 PM
I agree. It is a great game for about 3 players, but they always sold it as a 5-6 person game, which always seemed like too many people. I ran a Dark Sun game of 4e and ended up with 6-11 players and it just dragged so bad with that many people playing. I ended cutting the creatures HP in half, but letting critters do damage x2. It went a lot faster.

Otakar
06-08-2016, 05:19 PM
I was thinking you're name was familiar, you gave me some DM advice and encouragement back in 2008. I appreciate that! I had some great sessions with that little group. I did some gaming since that was more "theater of the mind". I guess I'm just not geared that way. My bent is more to the strategy and moving around the battlefield.

kirksmithicus
06-09-2016, 10:27 AM
I remember you as well, and your welcome. Well if you like strategy and tactic then 4e definitely suits you then. There are other games out there that make us of miniatures and such, though the strategy and moving around are quite a bit less. I really like the Dragon Age game, and now Fantasy AGE game from green Ronin. It has a "Stunt" system, which mimics a lot of the powers in 4e. Instead of picking powers and such, each time you roll doubles (it's a 3d6 instead of d20) you generate stunt points, then you have a small point buy chart of effects that you add on to an attack. The result ends up allowing you to throw in some tactical bits, but overall combat is much quicker, and can be customized to whatever best fits the current melee. Savage Worlds has decent miniature rules as well though they are not need to play.

kirksmithicus
06-09-2016, 11:40 AM
This reminds me, I am trying to purge my collection. So I have some thing I would be willing to give away if you wanted them.

Those power cards they put out towards the end. I got a bunch free for running "encounters" and such.
Initiative tracking cards
Those pogs they gave out to use in place of miniatures.
Condition status cards
Also maybe a duplicate module or two.

If you are interested pm me.

Otakar
06-11-2016, 09:51 PM
I appreciate the offer. I'm not sure what the "power cards" are. I hate to see D&D stuff go to waste but I really don't know when I'll game again. Still, I have to pass. I guess I have enough "stuff".

I've fallen in with a group that likes a lot of table top games. We played Zombicide Black Plague today. It's not 4E but it was still pretty fun. Will Wheaton calls games like that an RPG in a box. I think he liked 4E.

What are you playing these days? Did you move on to D&D Next?