PDA

View Full Version : What is your favourite non-rpg gaming resource?

Argent
07-21-2007, 08:24 AM
For a long time I was a gamer on a budget. So I didn't have access to every shiny new thing to come down the pipe from (then) TSR. Since this was in the era of the pretty-pretty box sets, that stung a little.

But I was still DMing and still needed to come up with interesting locations and settings for my players. Lamenting the fact that I couldn't afford new gaming material for like, the eleventy-billionth time, my eyes fell on a stack of magazines piled at the bottom of my shelf.

See, my mom had been getting me a subscription to National Geographic for several years at that point. And NG is, hands down, the best damn non-rpg sourcebook for RPGs ever. Every issue is full of maps, articles on different cultures, animals, and locations. It was no coincidence that the orc tribe in my setting was based very closely on the Mongols, which led to me crafting the Elven culture to more closely match the Chinese. It gave my world a bit of depth it might not otherwise would have. And NG mags were perfect for finding an NPC or a quick mini-setting; they came to occupy an honoured spot on my gaming shelf.

So how about everyone else? What non-rpg resource do you use with your role-playing?

RealmsDM
07-24-2007, 04:54 PM
Plenty!

Comic books, movies, novels, history books/class, and I even ran a city based super adventure based on a fantasy style NYC (my home town)
Looking back on it now, it was kind of Ebberon. Magical subway-like tunnels, giant towers, a BIG golem in the city's port... shall I go on?:p

starfalconkd
07-24-2007, 09:17 PM
Plenty!

Comic books, movies, novels, history books/class, and I even ran a city based super adventure based on a fantasy style NYC (my home town)
Looking back on it now, it was kind of Ebberon. Magical subway-like tunnels, giant towers, a BIG golem in the city's port... shall I go on?:p

Ditto, except for the really awesome sounding NY idea.

Ed Zachary
07-24-2007, 10:55 PM
Our present Sunday night game is called "Emerald City"... influenced by real life events.

Since the DM will be deployed again in a few months, hopefully we can finish the story before then.

Moritz
07-25-2007, 05:12 PM
Hang on, real life events? What are we talking about here? Did the DM fall down a rabbit hole and end up hanging out with the Dungeons and Dragons Cartoon Kids? Or was this some post Pink Floyd: The Wall hallucination?

Ed Zachary
07-25-2007, 05:31 PM
Back when AD&D was the latest edition, a friend of mine played a Bard named Roger Waters.

RealmsDM
07-25-2007, 06:42 PM
I remember my first PC ever... actually, the first few... they were all based on Voltron characters.... :D

Moritz
07-26-2007, 08:18 AM
Back when AD&D was the latest edition, a friend of mine played a Bard named Roger Waters.

Was he always singing about tearing down the wall, kaos, or how to hitch hike?

Skunkape
07-26-2007, 08:22 AM
I've found that I'm using Wiki-pedia more and more. Sure, there is some room for error because of who can edit the information that, but I find that most of what I research there is usable for me. After all, most of the time when I'm GMing, I change things about the setting to suit my needs anyway.

Also in the past, I've used BabelFish to translate a particular word into a Spanish, German, Italian version and then played with the spelling of that word to get a new name for something. Lot of people & places in my world have gotten names that way! Oh and I've used a Latin to English translator on an educational website to do similar things.

So I guess you can wrap that all up into the Internet!

nijineko
10-23-2008, 09:37 PM
religion and philosophy. and while we're at it, myths, fairy tales, tall tales, and the like are full of interesting ideas and view points.

a favorite is a great internet collection of "out of place artifacts (http://www.s8int.com)" from around the world.

tesral
10-24-2008, 12:29 AM
Everything that crosses my eyeballs.

nijineko
10-24-2008, 12:31 AM
i'd be interested in your thoughts on that link then, tesral. ^^

tesral
10-24-2008, 12:40 AM
i'd be interested in your thoughts on that link then, tesral. ^^

One it made noise, bad link. Two, any time you approach data with an agenda you will see the data as supporting your agenda. Three, any place on Earth is reachable form any place else with your feet or a paddle.

nijineko
10-24-2008, 05:27 PM
heheheh. it makes noise? i'd forgotten. i seldom have the volume up high enough to hear it when i am browsing websites.

considering that the person has made an effort to support all the stories via scientific journals or newspapers, i thought it worth perusing. now, how real all that is, that's another story entirely.

but it is a good source of campaign ideas. ^^

cplmac
10-24-2008, 10:04 PM
Everything that crosses my eyeballs.

Wouldn't it make it hard to read if your eyes are crossed?

Also, didn't your mother tell you to stop that or one day your face will freeze like that?:D

tesral
10-24-2008, 11:35 PM
Wouldn't it make it hard to read if your eyes are crossed?

Also, didn't your mother tell you to stop that or one day your face will freeze like that?:D

I started making faces all the time in hope.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
10-25-2008, 12:48 AM
When i was young...er, i borrowed from Tolkien, Fire and Ice, The Last Unicorn, Land/People that Time Forgot, Journey to the Center of the Earth, as well as countless others. Now-a-days, it can be from literally anywhere. For example: an article was posted, i believe on this site, about a mountain range at the south pole?, that shouldnt be there. Wow, this in and of itself, kicks my imagination into overdrive. Other sources: secret bases, caves, and sightings are like *drugs to my mind, for it gets the imaginative juices flowing.

So really, anything can trigger a pregnant thought.

*Attention kiddies, ive never used drugs nor am i encouraging their use.

Greylond
10-25-2008, 01:03 AM
When I lived in San Diego(90-91) there was a Map Store there that was really, really kewl. I ran Twilight 2000 back then and I picked up some great maps of Poland, including a Air Navigation map of Poland. I also was able to pick up topo maps of just about anything I needed.

Now, of course you don't have to worry about that kind of stuff since you can pretty much get any topo map online for free...

Now, though, I'd say Google Earth is the best real world "Map" that I've ever used. I use it for Aces&Eights games. One of the things I've done with it is to show the players what their characters actually see as far as terrain. Here's some shots that I made for one of my games. At the beginning of this campaign the characters were on a Stage Coach that got hijacked and they got left out in the wilderness in the middle of the night. At day break they had no idea where they were and I told them they saw this;

Looking NW (http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y160/Greylond/Hijack_hill_NW.jpg)
Looking SE (http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y160/Greylond/Hijack_hill_SE.jpg)
Looking SW (http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y160/Greylond/Hijack_hill_SW.jpg)
Looking NE (http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y160/Greylond/Hijack_hill_NE.jpg)

And then I asked them, "Which way do you go?"...

nijineko
10-25-2008, 01:13 AM
i notice that ne and nw are the same pic. note the compass. ^^ seriously though, that is a very nice idea. now if i could just afford mojoworld. ^^

Greylond
10-25-2008, 02:01 AM
Oops, seem to have messed up the archive.

Anyway, mojo-what? I did this with Google Earth. That is an actual location in Northern New Mexico seen from the Google Earth 3D mapping...

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
10-25-2008, 10:10 PM
When I lived in San Diego(90-91) there was a Map Store there that was really, really kewl. I ran Twilight 2000 back then and I picked up some great maps of Poland, including a Air Navigation map of Poland. I also was able to pick up topo maps of just about anything I needed.

Now, of course you don't have to worry about that kind of stuff since you can pretty much get any topo map online for free...

Now, though, I'd say Google Earth is the best real world "Map" that I've ever used. I use it for Aces&Eights games. One of the things I've done with it is to show the players what their characters actually see as far as terrain. Here's some shots that I made for one of my games. At the beginning of this campaign the characters were on a Stage Coach that got hijacked and they got left out in the wilderness in the middle of the night. At day break they had no idea where they were and I told them they saw this;

Looking NW (http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y160/Greylond/Hijack_hill_NW.jpg)
Looking SE (http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y160/Greylond/Hijack_hill_SE.jpg)
Looking SW (http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y160/Greylond/Hijack_hill_SW.jpg)
Looking NE (http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y160/Greylond/Hijack_hill_NE.jpg)

And then I asked them, "Which way do you go?"...
Yeah, this is pretty cool. I run Gamma World from time to time and this could be very useful. Thanks for posting.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
10-25-2008, 10:12 PM
i notice that ne and nw are the same pic. note the compass. ^^ seriously though, that is a very nice idea. now if i could just afford mojoworld. ^^
This mojoworld looks as though it has potential: http://www.pandromeda.com/

I'll have to take a closer look when i have more time. Later this evening, if i'm lucky.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
10-26-2008, 11:09 AM
This site also looks to have potential. Check it out: http://www.everlandmaps.com/

:spider:

nijineko
10-26-2008, 05:18 PM
let me know what you think of mojoworld. it is one of the few applications that i could be said to seriously want.

kirksmithicus
10-28-2008, 12:51 AM
google sketch-up has a lot of potential for creating 3D models of terrain, dungeons, cities etc. They have a large library of building and even figures that you can use. You just have to build the 3D image and then use screen capture to take a picture then clean it up in another program. The 3D warehouse option, by import and export is where you can find the pre-made models. If you have the space on your computer, it's worth checking out. Another thing I was thinking of using was the editor for my morrowind computer game. I think it would be pretty easy to create maps using a similar approach as with the google sketchup.

nijineko
10-28-2008, 02:06 AM
i've poked at it before, but am waiting for a better mac-side interface.

Greylond
10-28-2008, 01:25 PM
Jolly Blackburn over at Kenzer&Co uses Google SketchUp and he's a big MacHead. He's created some models for Aces&Eight's and most of the outside building scenes in KODT, i.e. the street that the Games Pit is on, are actually screen captures of the 3D models from SketchUp.

nijineko
10-29-2008, 03:33 AM
nice. i just might have to speed up my checking it out then. ^^

Dragon_wolf
10-29-2008, 07:49 AM
Personally even though I don't play Cthulhu, I think Lovecraft has some amazing settings for adventures - Mountain ranges at the south pole so high you can't climb over but with pocket valleys full of wonder and mystery. Places so far out in the "Louisiana" swamps that you have to hike for days beyond even where the hillbillies will go to find them filled with half-human half-demons worshiping great bloated creatures. Tiny idols to nameless gods that inspire treasure hunts to the ends of the earth. Islands that rise out of the sea during certain planetary alignments to reveal mysterious lost civilizations and artifacts (and horrors) beyond imagining. A professor (sage) falls dead, leaving his writings filled with clues to some ancient culture, people or artifact, inspiring a treasure hunt. Etc.
And even without using the 'horror' aspect of much of his writings, there is plenty of inspiration for settings, land marks and adventure hooks (and it's pretty good reading too - lol).

Greylond
10-29-2008, 08:26 AM
Clarification: Hillbillies live either in the Ozarks in Arkansas or in the mountains in West Virginia, Western Kentucky, Southwest Virginia, East TN or western North Carolina. If you push it, maybe parts of West PA. One place we ain't from is Louisiana. Them Cajuns are a whole different breed... ;)

You gotta keep your Redneck subspecies straight...

mrken
10-29-2008, 08:53 AM
Like Argent, I too have two shelves full of National Geographic, I also have another two shelves full of Popular Science, Pop Mechanics and Discover magazines. In between my Fantasy days I ran a Sci fi game that was not in the unimaginable far future and those magazine were a great source to spark my imagination, them and the newspaper. I have since stopped reading the newspaper and have switched to reading the web for headlines to use in gaming situations. One has to do filtering but I have always done that.

tesral
10-29-2008, 11:26 AM
A game Jay like to play is to wander Wikipedia for two historical events and parse a game out of them.

GoddessGood
10-29-2008, 02:00 PM
For me it's almost always music (though I love the ooparts link Nijineko posted :D). I'll be driving along in my car when a song will come on the radio with a lyric that somehow ties in to a character I have in my head or inspires an entirely new one. Usually the circumstances in the song will lead to me dreaming up whole scenarios and how they can connect to ones that have already happened or I'm planning to have happen. I'll do the same thing with Pandora.com (an online, customisable, streaming radio). I recently heard a song that I'll be using the lyrics for almost verbatim as a riddle later in the game I'm running.

One of my favorite characters I've ever played was inspired by the Smashmouth Hits CD my mom bought me for christmas that year, and many NPCs have been thus inspired as well. Sometimes I'll go searching for a song that feels like an anthem for a character I've already created. It helps to add that extra dimension to them.

Webhead
10-29-2008, 03:03 PM
For me it's almost always music (though I love the ooparts link Nijineko posted :D). I'll be driving along in my car when a song will come on the radio with a lyric that somehow ties in to a character I have in my head or inspires an entirely new one. Usually the circumstances in the song will lead to me dreaming up whole scenarios and how they can connect to ones that have already happened or I'm planning to have happen. I'll do the same thing with Pandora.com (an online, customisable, streaming radio). I recently heard a song that I'll be using the lyrics for almost verbatim as a riddle later in the game I'm running.

One of my favorite characters I've ever played was inspired by the Smashmouth Hits CD my mom bought me for christmas that year, and many NPCs have been thus inspired as well. Sometimes I'll go searching for a song that feels like an anthem for a character I've already created. It helps to add that extra dimension to them.

I developed the idea for an unusual but fascinating (to me at least) V:tM campaign from a song I heard several times on the radio. I've never used it or committed it to paper but the idea still intrigues me and I think about it every time I hear that song.

mrken
10-29-2008, 03:11 PM
Once I have pushed the game to give it a bit of momentum, I like to take my leads from the players. They say things both in character and out that will give me ideas on how I can make the game interesting to them. Sometimes it may take a bit to get them to where they want to go, but I generally get them where they want to go, sort of, to some degree.

nijineko
10-29-2008, 03:16 PM

that will happen to me too. makes me careful what i listen to and when. the reverie i sometimes go into is powerful enough to cancel out my normal hearing and vision... so i do not listen to the radio much when i drive, for example. much too dangerous. ^^

tesral
10-29-2008, 03:43 PM
For me it's almost always music (though I love the ooparts link Nijineko posted :D). I'll be driving along in my car when a song will come on the radio with a lyric that somehow ties in to a character I have in my head or inspires an entirely new one. .

I've had a that happen a time or two. A song pops up that is absolutely perfect for a character. Some times to the point you wonder if the writer was reading your mind.

Dragon_wolf
10-30-2008, 12:10 AM
Clarification: Hillbillies live either in the Ozarks in Arkansas or in the mountains in West Virginia, Western Kentucky, Southwest Virginia, East TN or western North Carolina. If you push it, maybe parts of West PA. One place we ain't from is Louisiana. Them Cajuns are a whole different breed... ;)

You gotta keep your Redneck subspecies straight...

LOL sorry, from the backwoods of Canada they all seem the same LOL

nijineko
10-30-2008, 05:20 PM
until you've met your first blue (http://thehumanmarvels.com/?p=121), anyway. ^^

wbrandel
10-31-2008, 03:29 PM
One magazine that I love as a referance or idea maker is the Reniassance Magazine. It is a historical magazine about the european middle ages. If I am strapped for an NPC idea I will thumb through an issue or two and read about some of the personalities.:cool:

gamergirl
12-10-2008, 10:25 PM
So how about everyone else? What non-rpg resource do you use with your role-playing?

A World History Atlas, several books on mythology, my Intro to Humanities book from my brief stint at VCC, a Latin-English dictionary, and a rather large collection of historical romance novels.

muvs32
05-13-2011, 07:28 AM
As it has not been mentioned before, at least in detail is the use of your local library. If you visit your central branch (if you live in a larger city maybe) there will be a section usually all to itself with state documents and resources. You can at least peruse their reference collection and view books of city/state planning and zoning maps...even ones that are a hundred years old or more.

Want to see the layout of your city/town circa 1876, it's there, to be used by a GM to make a land that is much like the one your players are used to except in a past stage. I usually used my own city/neighborhood as the character's starting town so the players would have a familiarity but with a feel of the past.

Using the reference section of libraries is, in our times, an oft overlooked wealth of knowledge and even enjoyment.

nijineko
05-13-2011, 08:58 PM
ah, libraries. i once found the complete formula and step by step instructions for how to make nitroglycerin in one of my high-school libraries. good thing too, as a guy i knew who was using the anarchists guidebook to do so was not aware that said guidebook had left out the steps about refrigeration.

muvs32
05-14-2011, 10:46 AM
LoL...awesome story friend. Yes, libraries can be used for good, for ill, or sadly in our age, not used too much at all.

nijineko
05-14-2011, 05:18 PM
that wasn't the only formula either.... i declined to tell him where i'd found it, saying only if he spent more time in the library, he might benefit. ^^

Malruhn
05-16-2011, 11:09 PM
One of the best sources I've found are Saturday Morning cartoons. I can't count the number of Scooby Doo, Justice League and even Pokemon episodes I've used as one-shot adventures. I've used Scooby Doo for a Ravenloft-esque campaign (before there was a Ravenloft) that worked very well - just get rid of the camp and dope-smoking kids, and you've got some great adventure fodder!!

But I will agree about the National Geographic. Those things have helped build my entire campaign world (as well as helped me through puberty!).

tesral
05-17-2011, 12:17 AM
B movies, the worse the better. Why is it the lamest plots make the best RPG fodder.

nijineko
05-17-2011, 12:05 PM
japanese, chinese, and korean comics. ditto comment on lame plots for these sources too.

Skunkape
05-18-2011, 11:06 AM
Ran a Halloween themed game as the guest GM for another GM's long running campaign that was stolen almost directly from the movie The Frighteners. One of the players had seen the movie and kept saying that the game was familiar to him but he couldn't narrow it down. Was a great game and everyone enjoyed it. While I really like that movie, it's not what I would consider to be really grand entertainment!:biggrin:

tesral
05-18-2011, 11:27 AM
I did that with Dragonslayer, but replaced the dragon with a clan of giants. The players walked right by it. I did Snow White and the Seven Dwarves: a Forensic Study as a Star Trek game. Asimov's "Nightfall" Romeo and Juliet the Klingon Opera. That time the kids got clean away with Starfleet's help. The two dads had a battle royal over the mater complete with squadrons of battle cruisers.

Movie and TV plots or even classic literature are easy to disguise if you change the names and circumstances.

nijineko
05-22-2011, 10:24 AM
i've even managed a three bears and goldilocks variant. not to mention existing rip-offs such as oz and through the looking glass.

tesral
05-22-2011, 10:41 AM
Go for it. Classic literature is rife with stealable plots.

There is also the mashup. Take two stories and extract a third from them.

nijineko
05-23-2011, 02:52 PM
ah, the oz and looking glass comment were referencing the dungeonland and related modules. ^^

muvs32
05-30-2011, 08:14 AM
I watched a direct to video movie called "Mandrake" the other week. A group of hired guns is hire to retrieve a treasure out of an ancient grave in S.American Jungle and unearths an elemental of the jungle etc. It was written by an RPGer, it had to be:)

Check it out if you can find it , it was in the Red Box (DvD rental) in my area. I an def. going to run this movie as an adventure.

Monkiesthrowingpoop
06-28-2011, 04:50 AM
One of the best sources I've found are Saturday Morning cartoons. I can't count the number of Scooby Doo, Justice League and even Pokemon episodes I've used as one-shot adventures. I've used Scooby Doo for a Ravenloft-esque campaign (before there was a Ravenloft) that worked very well - just get rid of the camp and dope-smoking kids, and you've got some great adventure fodder!!

But I will agree about the National Geographic. Those things have helped build my entire campaign world (as well as helped me through puberty!).

Interesting. Its ok to borrow tired old tropes as long as they are from a brightly animated source?

In any case might I suggest Dora the Explorer to comliment your well rounded catalogue of adventure inspiration? Maybe boots the monkey can help "solve" your sponge bob trap while scooby and the gang level up their Carmander in Umi City!

tesral
06-28-2011, 09:10 AM
Walking carefully around the troll....

News magazines, well what is called news these days. One can rip plots directly from the headlines. They don't even have to be today's headlines. Unwrap that fish and see what you can find. Ancient news even.

Another game to find plots is to use Wikipedia. Hit random article twice, mash up the results onto a plot.

Hair restoration -- Piva River

OK that is a tough one. The headwaters of "Name" river in your world is rumored to restore the hair of bald men. However the river itself is in a dangerous wilderness area. Still bald men are flocking to the site. The Saltrap has engaged your party to seek the truth in this matter. Is this a plot to rid the world of bald men or a true cure for baldness. The very bald and vain ruler wishes to know. Fountain of eteranl hair, or a trap for the gullible?

Skunkape
06-29-2011, 11:32 AM
Walking carefully around the troll....

News magazines, well what is called news these days. One can rip plots directly from the headlines. They don't even have to be today's headlines. Unwrap that fish and see what you can find. Ancient news even.

Another game to find plots is to use Wikipedia. Hit random article twice, mash up the results onto a plot.

Hair restoration -- Piva River

OK that is a tough one. The headwaters of "Name" river in your world is rumored to restore the hair of bald men. However the river itself is in a dangerous wilderness area. Still bald men are flocking to the site. The Saltrap has engaged your party to seek the truth in this matter. Is this a plot to rid the world of bald men or a true cure for baldness. The very bald and vain ruler wishes to know. Fountain of eteranl hair, or a trap for the gullible?

LOL! Great way to use two vastly different headlines to come up with a scenario!

CountChocula
07-03-2011, 05:17 PM
I'm currently writing a new campaign, set in The Elder Scrolls game world.

There have been volumes written about TES lore, which is helpful, but at the same time somewhat restricting.

hopesfirexx
09-09-2011, 12:11 AM
You can find TONS of great stuff at thrift stores and donation centers. If you can afford it, metallic spray paint can turn any plasticware you find will turn into valuable treasures. I found a bunch of cool items like candleholders, jewelry boxes, cheap jewelry, cases, cups, an old hourglass, a metal spartan helmet, and even a golden birdcage. If you are creative, you can use any of these as props! :D

I've also discovered that Fairy tales secretly have some pretty amazing stuff for artifacts or treasures (Sky Maiden's Blade, Talisman of the Cat, The Cursed Crimson Shoes of Dancing). You can also use them as inspiration for encounters or campaigns.

nijineko
09-11-2011, 03:52 PM
not to mention tales such as (off the top of my head) Mishka and the Man with the Iron Head, or the Knights of the Silver Shield, or the Golden Bird, or Gigi and the Magic Ring, or the Man with the Mustaches Seven Miles Long, East o'the Moon West o'the Sun, or any number of other fairy tales i am familiar with.

Malruhn
09-12-2011, 09:21 AM

I have to amend my answer...

Now, with cable/satellite TV, Saturday-morning TV is available ALL DAY LONG!!

I flipped on the TV at 5:15 this morning to watch some news prior to going to work, and caught about three minutes of "Conan - the Adventurer" cartoon... and have begun to craft a scenario based upon a beneficent golum made of "star metal". Oh, I do love crappy cartoons!!

Two weeks ago, my beloved bride stopped in at a yard-sale, and bought me half-a-dozen Popular Science magazines from 1948 to 1952. I have been reading them, getting all SORTS of ideas for campaign info from their guesses as to what society would be like in that fantastical year of 2000. (She paid all of $0.25 for the lot!)

By the way, I still want my flying car, dammit!

09-15-2011, 05:03 PM
im constantly observing and learning so i pretty much use every waking (and dreaming) moment as inspiration, but as far as monsters and dieties and npcs i tend to use a lot of mythology and religion, often times norse, and once ive even pretty much used the basics of the bhatgavad gita as a plot, kinda the whole chariot driver/guru that ends up being much more important than you expected thing.

nijineko
09-18-2011, 10:23 AM
last i checked, flying cars were going for $900,000.00 or so. of course, the price may have come down a bit since then, as there are now at least two producers that i am aware of.

mrken
01-01-2012, 03:05 PM
One of my favorite resources is Mapquest. I use the satellite function and click off the labels function. Then I am able to find the map I wish to use and print. It even has a scale in the bottom left hand corner if you wish. Great maps, cheap cost.

Another choice source, the game conventions. They generally have an auction. The auctions always have cool stuff, sometimes you can get stuff at incredible prices. Last auction I got a case about 20"x 8" full of minis for $12. Another score was a bundle of WWII history mags for $2 I used to make up scenarios. Have never failed to find something great for next to nothing.

Etarnon
04-18-2012, 05:51 AM
Cup of coffee, my Drawing table, and a sheet of oversize parchment and 6 hours.