PDA

View Full Version : Which oWoD Vampire the Masquerade Clan is your Favorite?

Rain_Spider_08
07-21-2007, 01:48 AM
I know there are at least a few here on pen and paper that are familiar with the older WoD (but still great) game Vampire the Masquerade, and I can't help but be curious as to who prefers which clan...

Personally I'm a Nosferatu, Malkavian and Gangrel fan :p

Ed Zachary
07-21-2007, 05:26 AM
Lasambra, either Sabbat or anticlan (Path of Inner Voice).

Followed by a renegade Tremere (Path of Death).

Moritz
07-21-2007, 09:27 AM
How about the 'Blood sucking kind'?

I mean, uh, there are different types of vampires?

Is this just another example of some gamer geek having way too much time on his hands to sit around and come up with 50 different types of blood suckers to sell a product to some other unsuspecting gamer geek without an imagination to generate blood sucking variables?

shilar
07-21-2007, 11:02 PM
No there were only a few. I liked gangrel and malkavian(acting crazy comes natually to me). Each clan represented a slightly different take on the old myths and stories about vampires.

Ed Zachary
07-26-2007, 11:36 PM
I liked gangrel and malkavian (acting crazy comes naturally to me).

Complex plotting and scheming come natural to me, so that's why I chose the Lasombra and the Tremere.

I never played a Gangrel or a Malkavian, or a Brujah either, because I viewed them as dull and simple.

But that was the good thing about the game, there was a clan for almost everyone.

Rain_Spider_08
07-27-2007, 12:01 AM
Complex plotting and scheming come natural to me, so that's why I chose the Lasombra and the Tremere.

I never played a Gangrel or a Malkavian, or a Brujah either, because I viewed them as dull and simple.

But that was the good thing about the game, there was a clan for almost everyone.

I never liked the Toreador, to me they were/are the "Anne Rice" vampires... The "Brujah" were better in the dark ages, they were usually scholars or warriors, not the hotheads they were in VtM, the Ventrue were better in the dark ages too in my opinion. The Giovanni just make me ill in general, as Gary said in VtM: bloodlines the PC game "That's the Giovanni, spagetti and corpses" not to mention incest... ugh

Ed Zachary
07-27-2007, 12:21 AM
I never liked the Toreador, to me they were/are the "Anne Rice" vampires...

I agree, but I did play one once for one game night. I couldn't get into the character. They did have three very good clan disciplines though.

Rain_Spider_08
07-27-2007, 12:34 AM
I agree, but I did play one once for one game night. I couldn't get into the character. They did have three very good clan disciplines though.

I know you don't like them but I always loved the Gangrels disciplines, as well as the Nosferatu's.

Ed Zachary
07-27-2007, 12:45 AM
I never liked Fortitude (beyond one rank) or Potence, but I often brought up my Celerity to three. I was never a warrior vampire, so Protean didn't do anything for me. And I never saw a use for Animalism. The Nosferatu's Obfuscation was good, but to me nothing else.

The Lasombra had Obtenebration and Domination. The Tremere had Thaumaturgy, Domination and Auspex. I would've loved it if the Lasombra had Auspex or presence instead of Potence.

Warp
07-27-2007, 01:20 AM
I find myself drawn to the Gangrel and Nosferatu time and time again. I think the concepts for the clans are a bit more .. "not stifling" .? :confused: Or so it felt.

I always felt like there was a great deal of precedent and form that informed characters from other clans. Or maybe I wasn't as comfortable with the associated precedent?

In the past, I've played with folks who did a great Malkavian (as well as those who - alas - did not.) I've never thought I was up to that flavor of a challenge, and feared the associated collateral damage that seems to follow members of the clan. :rolleyes:

shilar
07-27-2007, 02:30 AM
Yes Malkavians tend to cause a few problems. But then again which vamps don't in their own way. A lot of players play Malkavs childer over the top, kind of like how a lot of kender are played in D&D. I'd rather have you guessing just how crazy I really am. The thing a lot of players don't know about the Malkavians is that they are not really crazy just on info overload. According to the Malkavian clanbook Malkav has ascended to some form of psychic energy being. Linking all of his progeny in a kind of mental internet. The problem is although vamps are more than human their brains aren't, so they can't handle all of the data. So something goes *sproing* and we get something a little nuts. I always played up this side of being Malkavian. Playing more of a world wary eccentric who seems to know more than he should, than a raving loony.

Rain_Spider_08
07-27-2007, 03:32 AM
The thing a lot of players don't know about the Malkavians is that they are not really crazy just on info overload. According to the Malkavian clanbook Malkav has ascended to some form of psychic energy being. Linking all of his progeny in a kind of mental internet.

The Malkavian Madness Network, that's the official name of the "mental internet" you were thinking of. Malkavians don't have to be crazy crazy but they do have to have a derangement of some kind, personally I favor the power object fixation :D But true they aren't all complete wack-jobs just as intune with reality as they can be with a derangement and the Madness Network.

Rain_Spider_08
07-27-2007, 03:35 AM
I find myself drawn to the Gangrel and Nosferatu time and time again. I think the concepts for the clans are a bit more .. "not stifling" .? :confused: Or so it felt.

I always felt like there was a great deal of precedent and form that informed characters from other clans. Or maybe I wasn't as comfortable with the associated precedent?

same here :D what I love the most about the gangrel and nosferatu (save the fact I just think they're amazing in general) is the fact that they both have a mutual respect for one another... the gangrel lose their emotion over time and the nosferatu lose their looks shortly after the embrace. They both suffer in the same yet different way.

Warp
07-27-2007, 11:36 AM
A lot of players play Malkavs childer over the top, kind of like how a lot of kender are played in D&D. I'd rather have you guessing just how crazy I really am. ... So something goes *sproing* and we get something a little nuts. I always played up this side of being Malkavian. Playing more of a world wary eccentric who seems to know more than he should, than a raving loony.

And it's those well-played Malks that suggest to me that I simple don't *get* the Clan, and am stuck with a little less "sproing" :D in my character's step!
Gotta give credit where credit is due.

MortonStromgal
10-17-2007, 07:54 PM
1. Nosferatu
2. Tremere
3. Cappadocian (ok its Dark Ages not Masquerade)

Digital Arcanist
10-18-2007, 10:41 PM
Lasombra

DetCord
06-17-2008, 08:42 AM
Malkavian.. each and every time. I like a little fruit with my loops see.......

Dimthar
06-26-2008, 10:30 PM
Gangrel

Webhead
06-27-2008, 10:39 AM
It's tough to pick a favorite clan, because it comes down more to the character concept for me than favoring one clan over another. But if I had to choose, I'd probably say Malkavian for a very "non-standard" reason.

There was a Malkavian character concept that I've always wanted to play (admittedly it would be much funnier in a LARP, if I still played them, than table top, but either way). In this case, the Malkavian's derrangement is that he believes himself to be the main character in a Noir film and "self-narrates" his actions aloud and doesn't realize that everyone else can hear him (yes, this idea was conceived years before the episode of Family Guy that did this).

:D

boulet
06-27-2008, 11:00 AM
Yeah Malkavian all the way, both because I liked their clan disciplines, and because we had a comedy tone in our vision of WoD. Once we didn't dig the "creature of the night angst" theme anymore and our group turned to sth that felt like Dance of the Vampires (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0061655/), obviously playing with the stereotypes was the name of the game... I was inspired by One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest too...

SpiffyBananaFoot
06-27-2008, 07:27 PM
I'd say Ventrue for Masquerade and then Salubri warrior for DA.

nobliss
07-02-2008, 06:35 PM
Giovanni, ventrue and assimite but ventrue are the best (power and all).

trechriron
07-05-2008, 07:01 AM
I loved playing Toreador. Seconded by Ventrue.

For Villains I loved the Tzimisce and Lasombra.

Talmek
07-05-2008, 10:19 PM
1. Malkavian
2. Brujah
3. Ventrue

I played a campaign with two other friends as a Brujah. Mitch Baker (I know, plain jane name...but he was AWESOME) wasn't your typical Brujah hothead, but once he got riled up he was literally a FORCE to be reckoned with.

Unfortunately he met his end in a mine under a Ventrue compound. He had temporarily allied with a Ventrue neonate and attempted to betray him and his matron by way of M4 carbine with attached grenade launcher.

It was a shame that the mine collapsed before he made it out...but man did we have fun with that.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
07-06-2008, 06:51 AM
I know there are at least a few here on pen and paper that are familiar with the older WoD (but still great) game Vampire the Masquerade, and I can't help but be curious as to who prefers which clan...

Personally I'm a Nosferatu, Malkavian and Gangrel fan :p
I am aware that there are different editions to WOD. This is something, from everything i've heard, that i would love to play. This being said, which edition, through your (all of you on this thread) experience, would you recommended, and why?

My intention is not to thread-jack, but to gain some insight from WOD's fanbase.

Thanks for sharing your opinions in advance,

Thoth-Amon

praksis
07-07-2008, 05:49 PM
To the edition question, there were 4 versions of vampire. Never played 1st, but I believe 1-3 were very similar, just tweaks along the way. 4th is a dramatic change to things that I also haven't played yet. Looks neat, but still love the first setting (1-3). As to why I pick that setting, simply it's what I'm used to. It's a great setting that's wonderfly setup to play a huge variety of character types in a wide variety of game styles. I think 4th would be similar, just haven't had the chance to see it in action yet.

Favorite clan depends on the character concept. Easier to say which I like less: Tzimisce - Viscisitude = real evil in the games I played, never liked that one much (old clan is a different story though, much fun)
Brujah - Rebel bruisers never apealed to me, though a philospher version would be fun
Malkavian - I suck at playing derangements, but they can be great characters in the right hands.
So yeah, even the ones I don't like come with qualifiers.

Some I've liked more recently:
Setite - Corrupting, conniving, manipulating everyone to do what you want while convincing them you're doing them a favor. What's not to love :)
Caitiff (15th gen) - When simply surviving learning what the hecks going on is an accomplishment, doing something about it becomes a huge amount of fun.
Old Clan Tzimisce - Even elders have problems when everyone and their brother would like to see you and all your kind fade to dust...preferably with a good shove into the sunlight.

MortonStromgal
07-23-2008, 02:06 PM
For 1-3 (oWOD) vs 4 (nWOD)
http://whitewolf.wikia.com/wiki/Differences_Between_VtM_and_VtR

I think 2 was the best in the 1-3 lot because the rules were less complex that 3 and it had less metaplot than 3 IMHO

Overall the new one is better but for the old timers its very annoying to get used to and some of the changes never sit well with old players. Requiem for Rome made me finally appreciate the new metaplot and bloodlines somewhat. nWOD rules are far better than oWOD though (with exceptions of sword fights and brawls).

michaeljearley
07-23-2008, 05:53 PM
Venture
Gangral
Lasombra

Played 3e, never upgraded. Despite it's mechinism flaws, Vampire is the only game I've ever played where we would just sometimes not get out the dice and not only did it not offend me (rules lawyer) but it was better.

praksis
07-23-2008, 07:35 PM
Nice link, though I think many of the problems they saw with the evolution of the game would be more dependent on the storyteller, but that's the case with any game really. Whatever the system, it becomes what the GM & players make of it.

Though that said I think the main reason I like vampire so much is it lends very well to more interactive games of description rather than turns and turns of dice rolling. With the right group it's a huge amount of fun.

MortonStromgal
07-24-2008, 12:52 AM
Nice link, though I think many of the problems they saw with the evolution of the game would be more dependent on the storyteller, but that's the case with any game really. Whatever the system, it becomes what the GM & players make of it.

Though that said I think the main reason I like vampire so much is it lends very well to more interactive games of description rather than turns and turns of dice rolling. With the right group it's a huge amount of fun.

I couldn't agree more about the storyteller & players, however requiem ventrue are not masquerade ventrue and requiem nosferatu are not masquerade nosferatu so for old timers its hard to dump that Cainite baggage (because the cain myth is gone to) On its own the new game is mostly better but I think there were several poor design decisions in the begining that every other book has had work with. (preditors taint, 5x5, to name two there are several more some of which I understand why they did it I just don't agree with the decision)

Bearfoot_Adam
07-30-2008, 01:31 PM
I was always about hte Gangrel and Brujah since I was always about sticking it to the man. Though sometimes it was fun being the man so Ventrue was a good time as well.

Zeneak
08-08-2008, 01:07 PM
Personally i love playing Malkavian. for the family, and for my own mental health i shall do what i can. such a disfunctional family the Malkavian clans are.

praksis
08-08-2008, 01:53 PM
Dysfunctional or all together too functional? (ok, I fully agree the metaplot of oWoD is so much more fun) Some of the best & worst characters I've seen are Malks. Doubt I'll ever play one as I don't think I could do the clan proper justice, but for a great take on insanity made functional I'd recomend This Alien Shore by C.S. Friedman. Great examples in there of how a psyche can be fractured...plus she's a great author (imo of course)

Zeneak
08-12-2008, 02:50 AM
Oh god yes. i love playing malks though, all in all you have to remember that it is concept before derangement. make a solid and understandable back drop and then a fracturing of the mind. that way you have an interesting character even without the derangement.. some people spend too much time on the insanity that there is no character behind it. the best Malks i have seen are people.. who have broken minds.. they are believable and that is what makes them terrifying.

death666life
08-14-2008, 02:29 PM
Gotta love the Assamites. Need someone or something takin care of they are the ones you go to. If im not a Assamite the I play as a Clanless just so I can give it my own little touch.

Bearfoot_Adam
08-14-2008, 10:36 PM
Gotta love the Assamites. Need someone or something takin care of they are the ones you go to. If im not a Assamite the I play as a Clanless just so I can give it my own little touch.

Assamite were one of my least favorite clans. Sure they got the moves and that can't be denied. They even have a good history. I just don't think they should have been a playable clan. It seemed to take the mystery and the fear out of them when you see them all the time.

Zeneak
08-15-2008, 02:43 AM
The vampire game i go to is a LARP with over 100 people and each time i go there is from 30-80 at game. depending on the time of year and all that jazz. they list out how many vampires of each clan there can be, so when you make a character you run it by the STs and they check a mark off for the clan, if you make a character that moves the clan into 'over population' the prince gets fidgety about said over population and either sends the newcomer away from the city.. or the scourge is sent to dispatch one.

MuslixtheMighty
08-28-2008, 11:01 PM
Gangrel with Salubri taking a very close second.

Mirina
11-05-2008, 05:28 PM
1. Tremere
2. Brujah

I like the Malkavians too, but I have never played one. We had a player in one of our groups who just played a Malk awesomely; ever since then, I've felt that I couldn't do one justice. :biggrin: But they are fun to watch.

Xionicist
12-28-2008, 05:13 AM
1. Daughter of Cacophany (yes, I can actually sing!)
2. Malkavian
3. Toreador

I have also been known to play something I call "Malkabru" - a Malkavian who thinks she's a Brujah, with a clan-hatred derangement that causes her to frenzy if she is accused of being a Malkavian or crazy... Fun times!

akela122301
12-28-2008, 05:23 AM
I may be out there, but I personally like the Nosferatu. Hey, if I am going to be playing in a Horror Genre RPG, I am going to play something Horrible.
But seriously, the Nosferatu clan are known for being cruel to the beautiful ones they Turn.

Banshee
01-01-2009, 03:42 AM
Personally, I like the Giovanni. Almost like Ventrue, but disturbing if played right. :)

HeWhoIsnt
02-22-2009, 03:54 AM
There was a Malkavian character concept that I've always wanted to play (admittedly it would be much funnier in a LARP, if I still played them, than table top, but either way). In this case, the Malkavian's derrangement is that he believes himself to be the main character in a Noir film and "self-narrates" his actions aloud and doesn't realize that everyone else can hear him (yes, this idea was conceived years before the episode of Family Guy that did this).

Had a friend back when I was playing this that wanted to do something very similar. Only his was under the impression that he was a Hero in an Action Movie. And he'd do all of his stunts...no stand ins or nothing!

Never did get to see that one play out.

As for on topic, I think my favorite is the Ventrue, as I tend to be a politico in many of the games I play in, and do well with the intrigue stuff. Aside from that, always have wanted to play a Tzmice (sp?) myself. Those guys are crazy on a level I would find morbidly fun.

Azatoth
03-21-2009, 01:35 PM
Tremere, Nosferatu and Assamite in no particular order.

ErikGraybill
04-28-2009, 08:21 PM
I like the Assamite, Ventrue and Toreador, depends on my mood actually.

Baron_Samedi
05-16-2009, 10:40 PM
Yeah, i'd have to say Kiasyd. Their vampires with Fae blood, primarily the book-keepers and librarians of the Sabbat. Highly underrated, but a lot of fun character wise. Although, i wouldn't recommend using them unless you have experience playing a changeling...

WhiteTiger
07-20-2009, 09:48 AM
It would be a toss-up for me, Setites & Assamites are my favorite mostly due to the arabian flavor they offer.

templeorder
07-22-2009, 11:50 AM
Tremere

TaiRei
07-24-2009, 11:17 PM
Malkavian. I like the crazy!

korhal23
07-26-2009, 02:40 PM
Ventrue. I kinda like ruling over everyone else.

TheRageOfGaia
07-26-2009, 05:11 PM
The Ventrue are my favorite Camarilla clan because I really enjoy the scheming. And there's something fun about being entirely two-faced.

The Tzimisce are my favorite Sabbat clan because they're disgustingly monstrous and scary as all get-out, but you have an excuse to keep the old-world snootiness of the Ventrue, though, they're awesome as street punks and riff-raff too.

Doom Crow
07-30-2009, 01:16 PM
My absolute favorite is the Tzimisce, Old Clan and current. There are just so many twisted possibilities with Vicissitude it's an awesome ability. I love playing them as a character, it's the best kind of freedom to roleplay eccentricity, vileness and just plain sick vampires. I guess after them it would be Ravnos just because I'm partial to gypsies.

TheRageOfGaia
08-05-2009, 05:04 AM
Preach it, Doom Crow :biggrin:

Clan Tzimisce - A truly reprehensible collection of freaks and foul-ups.

I also really like the Brujah though. Hrm. Can I choose all of the above?

Froogleyboy
08-15-2009, 02:19 AM
Malkavians are the bomb dot com.

Banquo
08-16-2009, 12:32 AM
The greatest NPC vamp in my games was a True Brujah. Also had fun as Lasombra and setites.

Lucifer_Draconus
08-19-2009, 05:06 PM
Never played but always liked : Brujah & Gangrel best .

prinnycook
08-20-2009, 09:35 PM
Gangrel rocks!!!!!!!!!!!

Jayzilla
10-03-2009, 06:11 PM
I love toreador, this game is fundamentally social in concept and evertime I fight I feel like I've failed. If you think toreador are 'anne ricey' you don't know them well enough. :p

and my second favorite is Ventrue.. I love the hellsing universe and to me, these guys scream 'hellsing.' maybe its the british accent.

finally, i think tremere are fantastic. They aren't like anything else i've even encontered and I love originality.

killersquirrel59
05-10-2010, 11:30 PM
It's tough to pick a favorite clan, because it comes down more to the character concept for me than favoring one clan over another. But if I had to choose, I'd probably say Malkavian for a very "non-standard" reason.

I play in a LARP where I saw someone do just that. It was an amazing character that ended in the rest of the Malkavian clan playing out the rest of his story for him acting out the villain and the damsel in an amazing scene.

As for me, it is really tough to say. Well, not really. Lasombra all the way. I love everything about Lasombra from the wonderful crack that is Obtenebration to the many Paths of Night, to Abyssal Mysticism, to the massive way they have fallen from their past glory to the wonderful hypocrisy of their clan at the heart of the Sabbat.

Other personal favourites include many esoteric bloodlines. Absolutely love Baali (GRRR they are never played right), True Brujah (who doesn't love Temporis?), Nagaraja (Ghouled Wraiths just say win), Salubri (just the sheer stupidity of this clan amuses me), and Gargoyles.

Also in Cam games, really like Tremere. My friend has a quote that really sums them up in just a wonderful way, "I am Tremere, we can do anything. That is one of the anythings we can do."

Evil Nosferatu
05-25-2010, 12:34 PM
Nosferatu, obviously.... hehehe.

I would have to say that the Lasombra are second and then probably the Tcimesce and then probably Gargoyle. Hmm... maybe I just like 'em ugly?

Zannah18
01-18-2011, 09:20 AM
I like Gangrel I might be partial cause was my first character was one.

Blond Gamer Girl
01-18-2011, 07:04 PM
1. Assamite
2. Tremere
3. Toreador

MisterBook
01-19-2011, 01:26 PM
Malkavian, because it allows you more freedom as you do not need to fit in. Well as of Vampire the Masquerade. I have no idea what they're like post "We rebooted the world, buy our books again".

tinkerghost
01-21-2011, 01:46 PM
I used to run a Tremere - with a backstory of being the guardian of Mortal House Tremere. Made for an interesting game when at least 2 of the other players were considering my charges as a herd.

Avy
02-10-2011, 07:49 AM
Love the structure of the Tremere and then on the other side Ravnos.

Zairinniene
02-16-2011, 12:10 PM
Ventrue. Tremere. I love that political stuff.

Bertran
03-31-2011, 06:21 AM
I have always enjoyed the Followers of Set and the Toreador.

joec
07-25-2011, 11:30 AM
I played a Tremere on the WW site for years, so I always love them, but at the table? Toreador Antitribu, Lasombra, and Ventrue were some of my favorites, but I preferred to play less than stereotypical concepts.

Malkavians, when not over the top can be cool, but it's REALLY hard to find a person to play them well.

Sokkaiya
10-02-2011, 04:52 AM
1. Gangrel
2. Ravnos
3. Brujah

I agree, my concepts usually didn't 'fit' with their stereotypes. Yet, once the veneer was peeled back, their gritty, disgusting side would be revealed. A real shock for most of my fellow players. An ST once asked me to tone the grit back a bit and not freak out his other players when I presented the concept in a creation session. Come to find out a few years later, he loved it, but was not sure he was able to build a game that could encompass that concept well enough. I still have the character sheet somewhere, I filed it for good measure to prove to myself that too much grit really is a bad thing.

poisongrin
11-21-2011, 12:34 PM
1. Giovanni
2. Toreador
3. Gargoyle

My least favorite are Malkavians because many people do not understand poor mental health. That most Malks are just an excuse to put little effort into rp.

Forgotten.Curse
12-07-2011, 08:49 AM
My tops have to be: 1: Ventrue 2: Tremere 3: Lasombra In all cases more about how collective clan persona, although their powers were always nice. (Ventrue is primary because I was forced to play them a lot because everyone wanted to have someone to hate.)

Mithras
03-23-2013, 01:07 PM
Lasombra. Any vampire that can cause other vampires to be afraid of the dark is pretty awesome...

Simetradon
03-23-2013, 01:43 PM
Mekhet and Daeva.

Thorn
08-17-2013, 05:55 PM
Nosferatu catif investicater

TorteStone
09-01-2013, 06:10 AM
I almost always started off a Brujah with as much Potence as possible (Vampire mad! Vampire smash!) and always had alot of fun.

I mostly ST'd Werewolf and Mage, and there Order of Heremes vs. Tremere Chronicle was a treat (My group's Order of Hermes mages ended up becoming allies with the Assamites).

-Will-

magic-rhyme
09-21-2013, 05:46 PM
Most game masters (okay, fine, "Storytellers") have trouble running Ventrue or Brujah well, but when I can find a game master who handles them well, I love to play them!

I have always wanted to find a game master who is skilled with running Nosferatu so that I could try one out.

When I have been roped into playing in a poorly run World of Darkness vampire campaign by eager friends I don't want to disappoint, I play a Malkavian, because bad game masters never seem to be able to ruin Malkies and pretty much leave them alone, which means I can manage to have fun even under a talentless game master and avoid disappointing my friends.

Bertran
09-22-2013, 04:13 AM
Gotta say my favorite clan is the Toreador then The Followers of Set as second. My favorite bloodline is the Baali. Presence is my favorite discipline as it is so subte or should be played that way. I also like Obfuscate,so the combination of Presence and Obfuscate is a winning combination

seoking
04-04-2019, 06:13 PM
9Apps (https://get-9apps.com) Vidmate (https://installvidmate.com) Cartoon HD (https://get-cartoonhd.com)

tunitech
07-18-2019, 05:49 PM
There are many companies offering photography services, but the best photographers in Lagos (http://www.finessestudios.com.ng/photographers-in-lagos-nigeria/) are the one you should use.

We are one of the best British schools in the country. All our students pass very well in the IGCSE exam.
Best secondary schools in Nigeria (https://www.greenspringsschool.com/best-secondary-schools-in-lagos-nigeria/)

You want to enjoy it. Check it out
winning eleven 2012 warkop android (https://www.techrabytes.com/konami-winning-eleven-2012-warkop-android-game-full-version-apk-install/)