PDA

View Full Version : Life Chat Rooms

InfoStorm
07-20-2007, 08:01 AM
My longest running online game was back in the hayday of AOL when it was strong. We used to meet weekly online and play in the private chat rooms for 3-6 hours at a time. What made it all possible was that the AOL chat rooms had dice rollers build in, so that when someone needed to roll a dice, they just typed something like //rolldice1sides20 or //rolldice6sides6 to get the needed results. Is this too bandwidth intensive or even exist somewhere?

Moritz
07-20-2007, 08:46 AM
You should look into the world of MUD, MUX, MOO. There are thousands of places that are stand alone servers which are designed just for your roleplay desires in what ever genre you want to play.

An example of this would be: http://xmenmovieverse.com/

Ed Zachary
07-20-2007, 08:54 AM
Wouldn't it be easier to have the players roll the dice for themselves, like we used to do way back in the dark ages?

Moritz
07-20-2007, 09:08 AM
I Rolled a 20!

Oh look, I rolled a 20 again!

Oh my god, I'm so lucky, I rolled another 20!

It's like magic, I rolled another 20!

Ed Zachary
07-20-2007, 09:30 AM
I Rolled a 20!

Oh look, I rolled a 20 again!

Oh my god, I'm so lucky, I rolled another 20!

It's like magic, I rolled another 20!

As the DM I suspect you are cheating, especially since you rolled all 18s for abilities in character creation and maxed out on hit points. As I stated in the intro for my play by post game, negative karma will find you. I haven't detected any sign of cheating yet, the rolls are averaging around 10 to 11. The game is suppose to be fun, why cheat? If the DM/GM/ST is sharp, they'll catch the cheater.

Moritz
07-20-2007, 09:42 AM
LOL. Oh my god, I rolled another 20!

Yeah, I generally trust the players - to cheat.

Ed Zachary
07-20-2007, 10:50 AM
Yeah, I generally trust the players - to cheat.

One game I was DMing, we had a 13th level Fighter (Con=18) join us. He claimed 161 hit points.

What's wrong with this picture?

Moritz
07-20-2007, 11:13 AM
Yeah, like I'm good with math.

Ed Zachary
07-20-2007, 11:15 AM
Yeah, like I'm good with math.

If you think you were good rolling all 20s on a d20, he was rolling 21s.

Moritz
07-20-2007, 11:16 AM
Ok, lemmie do this long hand..

18 con = 4 points per level. So that is 13 x 4 = 52

Fighter is d10 , so that's 10 x 13 = 130

So, 130 + 52 = 182 max hit points.

What am I doing wrong?

Ed Zachary
07-20-2007, 12:01 PM
Ok, lemmie do this long hand...

Fighter is d10 , so that's 10 x 13 = 130

So, 130 + 52 = 182 max hit points.

What am I doing wrong?

I'm an older gamer, this was pre-3.0.

Fighter is d10 (level 1 to 9), so that's 10 x 9 = 90

Fighter is 3 (level 10 to 13), so that's 3 x 4 = 12

So, 52 +90 +12 = 154 max hit points.

Sorry, I should've been clearer on that...

Moritz
07-20-2007, 12:57 PM
Oh oh, now that makes a whole lot more sense.

I'm thankful for 3.5

Farcaster
07-20-2007, 01:12 PM
AOL chat rooms had dice rollers build in, so that when someone needed to roll a dice, they just typed something like //rolldice1sides20 or //rolldice6sides6 to get the needed results. Is this too bandwidth intensive or even exist somewhere?

Its not too hard to do. I was thinking about scripting a dice rolling program into our chat room here, but I've also been considering moving to different software for the chat room as well. I'm still on the fence about it.

Moritz
07-20-2007, 01:21 PM
You mean people log into the chat room?

Question: If we were to log into the chat room, would we get credit on the line posting rank? :)

Farcaster
07-20-2007, 04:44 PM
Yeah, occasionally people use it. There's no big push for people to go there, I just wanted to make it available if someone wanted to chat live with other PnPG'rs. As far as credit, uhm, no credits for you! You're already #3 anyway! If you want to dethrone Ed or me, you're just going to have to do it the ole' fashioned way.

InfoStorm
07-20-2007, 06:48 PM
All I can say is that if The chat rooms here had an inline dice roller, I'd happily start DM'ing a weekly game. I had a BLAST on my online game, and it lasted over two years. Also easier to play for those of us whom have wives who wants them at home and 3 year olds who demand attention.

Ed Zachary
07-20-2007, 09:45 PM
Just curious, why is the lack of a dice roller holding you back?

Moritz
07-21-2007, 08:35 AM
Ed, maybe he believes as I do, "Players are prone to 'fudge', 'cheat', or just bend the outcome to their advantage."

"Oh my god, I rolled another 20!"

Normally when I run an online game, the dice are coded. I don't always use them. But in the case of more than one player, it may be good to keep everyone behind a die roll.

Ed Zachary
07-21-2007, 02:00 PM
Then I consider myself blessed to have been associated with honest people.

If you can't trust those you game with to be honest, then why game with them?

I know, you rolled another 20.

Moritz
07-21-2007, 02:05 PM
How did you guess?!?!?! You must be psychic!

Farcaster
07-21-2007, 02:48 PM
I have to agree that a dice rolling program would be very useful. Sometimes players, just like GMs, fudge their numbers a little. Its just human nature. Having a dice rolling facility just makes it easier for everyone to know that everything is on the level.

PhishStyx
07-21-2007, 03:54 PM
Online dice rollers can be pretty nifty. Could it have additive options or perhaps access an online saved character sheet and do our addition/subtraction for us?

I know you love how much work I'm creating for you.

Moritz
07-22-2007, 04:15 PM
Phish wants:

1d6+4-12+17/3*77+1d2/2

And after that roll, it'll tell us whether or not the fighter has three or four fingers remaining.

PhishStyx
07-22-2007, 08:57 PM
Phish wants:

1d6+4-12+17/3*77+1d2/2

And after that roll, it'll tell us whether or not the fighter has three or four fingers remaining.

Actually, I'm thinking about a system where I could input my character sheet and the dice roller would know that I have Strength 5 (or 18 for D&D) and a skill of 4 with swords and add them to the dice roll automatically.

Yeah, seems like a lot of work to me, too.

Moritz
07-23-2007, 08:42 AM
For something that detailed, you may want to look into something like http://www.fantasygrounds.com/

Now, if Farcaster wanted to host a separate program such as that on his site, that would be pretty sweet. Not at all sure how it would work though.

InfoStorm
07-23-2007, 10:57 AM
Keep It Simple.
The basic roller with number and sides and maybe a single modifier is all that is needed. (i.e. //rollside#sides#add##) I don't want to have to deal with charts of pre-rolled numbers or modifiers for what players said they rolled. Hitting my d20 macro to feed in ' //rolldice1sides20add ' would make things so munch easier when running a game. Storeing character sheets, etc etc, that's what I use other programs for, like notepad or even Excel. (just an alt-tab away).

IF it got working, be curious to know how many character the chat input like was limited to. (pre-written room descriptions for example)

Also puts all the dice on the 'table' so the players can see I didn't have it out for them when I kill them.

P.S. That FantasyGrounds II program looks sweet, but my pennies are pretty short right now and I have problems making people pay for it because I'm hosting in it.

PhishStyx
07-23-2007, 04:52 PM
Sure, but that's pretty costly, and it seems like a LOT more than I really want anyway. Plus, it only appears to work with D20, and much as I know many people think that's the only RPG ruleset that exists, I don't use D20. No really, I don't run any D20 games.

Moritz
07-23-2007, 07:04 PM
Well, I'm sure Farcaster will have the dice setup in our chat room one day soon which will mean that we can actually play real time games. And heck, he may even go so far as to let us create our own rooms. Next we'll have a ventrillo like setup where we can have live audio feed and then soon after that it'll be video conferencing baby!

PhishStyx
07-23-2007, 07:09 PM
I'm pretty sure it already allows new rooms to be created.

Farcaster
07-24-2007, 03:21 AM
I'm pretty sure it already allows new rooms to be created.

It does. :)

Well, I'm sure Farcaster will have the dice setup in our chat room one day soon which will mean that we can actually play real time games. And heck, he may even go so far as to let us create our own rooms. Next we'll have a ventrillo like setup where we can have live audio feed and then soon after that it'll be video conferencing baby!

I actually looked into the web conferencing thing not too long ago. There's this cool software would work great, BUT it requires Adobe Flash Media Server 2 for the low, low price of $4500 smackers. Ouchie! We're not at that point yet. But, there are options out there if you want to do web and audio conferencing with multiple people. Yahoo will let you do that for instance (although the refresh speed and resolution is somewhat limited.)

I've been meaning to make a dice roller for the site anyway. I actually did a pretty good one using VB.net, but since this site isn't run on Windows, I can't take that code and use it in an ASP page. Ah well. I'll build one though, eventually :)

Moritz
07-24-2007, 07:32 PM
Oh oh oh oh. I found this:

http://www.mebeam.com/

GoddessGood
10-28-2008, 01:38 PM
Hooray for thread necro-ification! I'd been poking around recently and found the chat room. Are there plans in the works still for a dieroller for it? I'd be more inclined to try running a game onsite if there was one. I'm not fond of OpenRPG as it is kinda clunky to set up (or it was when I last used it) and my laptop never did like it.

As InfoStorm suggested, a simple one would be ubernifty. The one addition I would ask for is the ability to hotkey certain rolls. For example if I had my attack roll pre-calculated I could save it as a hotkey or a macro (I forget what they're called).

nijineko
10-29-2008, 03:40 AM
now that the forums have a die roller, would it be hard to get the flashchat and the die roller talking to each other? then just dump anything within the roll tags to, perhaps, a special thread on the forum for the purpose of generating a roll which results get sent back... unless you could do it all behind the scenes. ^^ that would be nice.

amardolem
10-31-2008, 08:59 PM
Maptool is your way to go...it's free, it has chat (we use skype for voice too) a die roller and 100 macros (assignable to hotkeys) which can be sent straight to chat or sent your chat window for modification before you post them. I will qualify to say I haven't tried the others, I tried this one, it worked well for all we do. I haven't DMed on it but it has a the bells and whistles-> fog of war/light souces/vision independently assignable, a token making utility on the RPtools site which could not be simpler to use. and a host of secret roll to the gm etc nuances.

Yeah I'm a cheerleader :rockon: for it...ONLY because I am not a technophile and in both the installation and use it's been easy---it works with MAC OS too (one of our players is a MAC user)

Edit:oops, after I posted I realized there were 2 pages I hadn't read, if this is unhelpful, disregard:o

Moritz
11-03-2008, 08:42 AM
Holy crap. I rolled another 20!