PDA

View Full Version : Cards? Apps? what would you use

falinxelote
01-09-2015, 06:32 AM
A number of games have used cards for quick reference. AD&D used spell cards to make it easier to have the details of your spells. Savage worlds uses playing cards as initiative.
I was wondering what the opinion of using these was?
How many people actually use the spell cards or playing card rules?
Are you open to more cards and tabletop ideas?
How can you integrate these in an online format?
Also sort of random if you could have an app for a game that did any facet of that game automatically what would that app do?
How often would such an app get used in your games?
And lastly If you had an online or downloadable digital character sheet what should it do, you know other than simply record the characters stats and abilities?

Matt James
01-09-2015, 08:58 AM
I love anything that helps make the game run more smoothly, and facilitates roleplaying. It seems cards and apps help take away these meta-distractions, so I'm all for them.

Malruhn
01-09-2015, 04:54 PM
I'm big on 3x5 index cards. As DM, I put all pertinent monster data on the cards for quick reference when playing, and I always put spells on cards, so I don't have to scramble with, "Was that a 100' range + 10'/level, or a 40' range + 20'/level??"

While I'm not a Luddite, I'm still not comfortable with apps and the like for gaming. It's too easy to get drawn into checking Crack-book and other stuff, so I avoid them. Also, I haven't heard of any that were good for what I need.

falinxelote
01-12-2015, 11:53 AM
I've been writing a few apps for various games. I was thinking of trying to save the trees and switch my group over to editable PDF's for character sheets. All our game books are opensource documents and web pages. So, everyone in the group has a smartphone, tablet, or laptop they already bring to the game for reference. Apps just seem like a logical step to take.

DMMike
01-19-2015, 10:49 AM
A number of games have used cards for quick reference. AD&D used spell cards to make it easier to have the details of your spells. Savage worlds uses playing cards as initiative.
I was wondering what the opinion of using these was?
How many people actually use the spell cards or playing card rules?
Are you open to more cards and tabletop ideas?
How can you integrate these in an online format?
Also sort of random if you could have an app for a game that did any facet of that game automatically what would that app do?
How often would such an app get used in your games?
And lastly If you had an online or downloadable digital character sheet what should it do, you know other than simply record the characters stats and abilities?

Spell cards: I wouldn't use them. I'd just use my character sheet.

Playing cards: to me, these have a pretty heavy wild-west flavor. Which would be great in a wild-west game, but not in other games. Maybe I should just focus on the "kings," "queens," and Alice in Wonderland...

More cards and tabletop ideas: whatever it takes to help people enjoy the game, I guess. I wouldn't want them personally - I'm a purist. RPGs should just be a rulebook and dice.

If I wanted an app, it would be a fully hyperlinked version of the rulebook for the game at hand. And possibly a hit points/initiative tracker.

What should a digital character sheet do? Make your character info available lightning-fast, and do all the arithmetic busywork for you.

falinxelote
01-19-2015, 02:15 PM
good input, I defiantly see the character sheet needing to do the math. That is the biggest benefit of using a computerized character sheet, as far as i can tell at least. Well that and a lower chance of loosing the character sheet.

tesral
01-28-2015, 02:30 PM
Tools are as useful as you make them. Too much reliance on a given tool can flavor things and not always well.

I'm all in favor of anything that make the mechanics of the game run more smoothly and not in favor it if gets i n the way. If index cards speed things up for you, do it. If a spell app does the same, do it.

My only issue with electronics at the table is the distraction issue. It's one thing to be looking up game related things another to be checking facebook.

DMMike
01-29-2015, 10:39 AM
Okay, how about an app that sets off an alarm anytime a social media app runs? The GM hears this, and knows to dock XP - or add an extra damage point or two to the next attack. :mad:

tesral
01-29-2015, 01:02 PM
Something tells me it's a problem.

Phone pile. All the phones in the middle of the table. First person to reach for one before the game is called pays for the pizza.