PDA

View Full Version : Dragons of the Fifth Age

LiechtenauerFan
10-01-2014, 06:19 AM
Hi folks! I'm looking for 2-4 more players (already have 2) for a Dungeons & Dragons 5e play-by-email (PBEM) campaign. This campaign will be set in the Dragonlance campaign world (Age of Mortals) and will focus a little more heavily on role playing than combat, but combat will certainly occur.

We'll be using Google Groups as to make emailing back and forth simpler. As this is a PBEM campaign, writing and reading are a core component of the campaign. You don't have to be the next great novelist to play, but a proficiency in writing is preferred.

You do not have to have a deep knowledge of Dragonlance to play. I've only read 4 of the novels myself, but all of my campaign materials really come from the 3.5 edition of the Dragonlance Campaign setting. So, I use the Campaign Setting as my springboard and make the world my own.

As the DM, I will post updates every Monday and Thursday afternoon. These updates will take into account the player's choices that have been sent around the Google Group. Of course, players are encouraged to email each other personally if they wish to speak one-on-one. I hope to start the campaign by Monday, October 6th if I can secure at least a total of 4 players. Is anyone interested?

Regards,
Eric

DonCarnage
10-01-2014, 11:56 AM
I have never played the 5E D&D rules but am very interested in an online game. I will be reading the books later I used to love the old Dragonlance campaigns although I will definitely have to do some reading before this starts. Can you give me a basis from where we are starting?

LiechtenauerFan
10-03-2014, 05:01 AM
We'd be starting most likely in Palanthas and the campaign is set during the Age of Mortals. Here are some further details:

Here are the details:
1) We'll be using Google Groups so there's only a single email address to reply to.
2) Posting from me, the DM, will be twice per week. Once on Monday afternoon and once on Thursday afternoon. In the interim, the players will be firing emails around to discuss strategy and options. A group leader will be chosen amongst the players to speak for the group. I'll be continuing play based on the writing of the group leader. However, players are free to email me on the side with ideas and things they'd like to do. Of course, the group leader will be fielding many ideas at once.
3) Combat. Three rounds of actions will be submitted at a time. This will keep combat from taking forever. 5th edition was designed without the need for a combat map (hence only a 10 page chapter on combat in the new PHB, which is phenomenal) and so we won't be using one. You'll respond with if-then statements.
Ex: "If the goblin attacks me, I fall back to protect a fallen companion, if there is one, otherwise I respond with my mace. If I'm not attacked, I circle around behind the enemies--careful to avoid threatened spaces--in order to help the nearest companion double team a goblin. If that goblin spellcaster, however, raises his amulet again to cast a spell, I will double move over to him in an attempt to disrupt his spell."
In this way, your actions for the next three rounds can be figured out, and I will dramatized the action based on that input. This will keep combat moving quite quickly.
4) Rolls. I will make all of the rolls. This speeds things up and makes sure the game isn't in limbo because we're waiting for someone to email us their roll. This also prevents me from having to search through emails to find rolls.

~Eric

LiechtenauerFan
10-03-2014, 12:48 PM
I now have enough players. Thank you!
~Eric