PDA

View Full Version : A Five-Sided Web

DMMike
09-24-2014, 03:02 PM
We're trying to get an online game going, once a week on a weekday evening.

Out of 4 people interested, there's a Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday preference! So, we're trying to be flexible with the day of the week. No experience is necessary, but you must have either the D&D Starter Set, Basic Rules, or Player's Handbook, 5th edition. All races and classes are welcome, except for dragonborn and tiefling. Which is to say, you can't play a monster at 1st level.

If you want to create a character and drop in (as long as we have room), use these numbers for ability scores: 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8. I have pre-gens as well.

We're starting with the Lost Mine of Phandelver, which is supposed to take characters to level 5. After that, I'll probably tailor a campaign to the PCs, and introduce some house rules as well.

nijineko
09-24-2014, 08:57 PM
sounds interesting. i hope your gaming group works out well.

DMMike
10-01-2014, 03:53 PM
First encounter: complete. Thanks MetroKnight for stopping by and giving a name to our pre-generated folk-hero-fighter (Little Jon). As far as I know, we still have 2-3 slots open for other players.

Thanks spidey for being our OOC rules lawyer. If anyone wants to chime in on my question of the night, please do: does casting a spell near opponents allow them to use a reaction to attack you? I'm sure it's in the Basic Rules somewhere...

100 XP to each character, and I'll award an inspiration point or two here shortly...

Cernor
10-01-2014, 09:26 PM
I believe that the only way you can trigger opportunity attacks (ie using a reaction to attack without an ability explicitly stating it can be done like the mage slayer ​feat) is if you use your movement to move out of the enemy's reach without using the disengage action.

Xiriktu
10-03-2014, 08:47 AM
All I can find so far is on page 195 in the PHB under "Ranged Attacks in Close Combat," which states:

"Aiming a ranged attack is more difficult when a foe is next to you. When you make a ranged attack with a weapon, a spell, or some other means, you have disadvantage on the attack roll if you are within 5 feet of a hostile creature who can see you and who isn't incapacitated."

This same thing is somewhat reiterated on page 205 of the PHB under "Attack Rolls" in regards to spells. So, from my understanding, a spell attack within 5 feet of an enemy that can see you and isn't incapacitated would cause the caster to have disadvantage on the spell attack roll (roll 2d20, take lowest of the two rolls). Nothing about a buff/boon spell being used, or anything regarding opportunity attacks in response just yet.

With that said, to be more specific about opportunity attacks, also on page 195 of the PHB under "Opportunity Attacks," it states:

"In a fight, everyone is constantly watching for enemies to drop their guard. You can rarely move heedlessly past your foes without putting yourself in danger; doing so provokes an opportunity attack. You can make an opportunity attack when a hostile creature that you can see moves out of your reach. To make the opportunity attack, you use your reaction to make one melee attack against the provoking creature. The attack interrupts the provoking creature's movement, occurring right before the creature leaves your reach. You can avoid provoking an opportunity attack by taking the Disengage action. You also don't provoke an opportunity attack when you teleport or when someone or something moves you without using your movement action, or reaction. For example, you don't provoke an opportunity attack if an explosion hurls you out of a foe's reach or if gravity causes you to fall past an enemy."

Hope that helps.

DMMike
10-03-2014, 05:25 PM
How very interesting! It seems that the D&D designers knew that opportunity attacks were a sticking point, so they streamlined them down, but did not completely remove them. I bet that an optional rule shows up in the DMG: ranged attacks and spells provoke opportunity attacks when within reach of an opponent. If the attack succeeds, THEN you suffer disadvantage.

I should be handing out Inspiration like candy, but I'm still getting warmed up. The first one goes to Faen, for bravely (?) charging two goblins, supporting his Trait that "if someone is in trouble, I'm always ready to lend help." Help me hand these out with reminders, if I don't notice, that you're following your FAITH (flaw, alignment, ideal, trait, Hbond (the H is silent)).

Xiriktu
10-03-2014, 08:28 PM
Faen deserves it. You're doing just fine with everything. We're all still figuring it out as we go. We look forward to Tuesday!

DMMike
10-07-2014, 08:53 PM
Game down! Martin029348272882340059 informs me that he can play at 6 Arizona time tomorrow or Thursday. Tomorrow's no good for me, but there's still a chance for Thursday, if everyone's interested. Otherwise, next game is Tuesday.

Xiriktu
10-09-2014, 11:39 AM
Any time on Tuesday works best for Aearia and I. Wednesdays and Thursdays we are busy in the evenings. We have some availability on the rest of the week, but not as much as Tuesday.

Xiriktu
10-09-2014, 12:41 PM
Actually, scratch that. I just talked with my Wife about it, and we can make Thursdays work. Only thing is we can't let it run too late. We have to be done by 9pm Arizona time. So if that works for everyone else, then it'll work great for us!

EDIT: When I say 9pm Arizona time, I mean until daylight saving time ends on November 2nd. Then our times (Colorado/Mountain) should be the same. At which point we could run until 10pm. If that makes any sense. If not, please let me know.

DMMike
10-09-2014, 07:06 PM
Let's play next week. I'm not sure tonight will work well enough for everyone. I think I hear another wagon-full of heroes pulling up behind the first one...(insert your character here).

DMMike
10-17-2014, 10:51 AM
First person to guess my moral from last week's game gets inspiration!

Last week, another wagon of excavation supplies arrived at the ambush. Rurik the dwarf and Derk the human hopped off in time to see Little Jon get stabbed in the foot by the goblin he was guarding. Tzadkiel, already scouting the goblins' trail, saw the goblin run off, and chased after him.

After Faen bandaged Little Jon's foot, those who could walk followed the trail as well. Derk neatly disarmed a snare by setting it off, and Rurik neatly disarmed a pit trap by falling into it. Realizing that a refreshing rest might be in order, the party set up camp in the pit trap and fell asleep. Only to be rudely awakened...