PDA

View Full Version : Online vs. bad breath

DMMike
08-27-2014, 06:07 PM
A quick spin around the interwebs reveals to me that most gamers in my area are looking to play 5th edition D&D. Which is not my game of choice. So I have to wonder: should I be looking outside my area?

Who has had better luck finding an online game than an in-person game? Or a better experience?

Skunkape
08-28-2014, 10:26 AM
Unfortunately, D&D is the main-stream game of choice, even when there are other systems out there that GMs prefer to use. There are enough D&D enthusiasts, that people can find a game with that system, even when you don't prefer it. Not trying to get into an edition war here, but another thought as to why everyone is suddenly interested in 5E is that it's a shiny new toy and that has it's own appeal!

In my opinion, you should only look to run a system that you're happy with. The whole point of running a game is to have fun and I prefer the Basic Role Playing system, which is what Magic World, RuneQuest and Call of Cthulhu uses!

From a player standpoint, I'm more interested in playing with a GM to have fun, rather than whatever system they use. I currently play in a Pathfinder game and a Call of Cthulhu game and while I don't care for the main point behind Cthulhu games, I'm still enjoying it. While I prefer the BRP system for character advancement, I'm playing in a Pathfinder game and am still enjoying it!

While I prefer in-person gaming, you can have lots of fun with an online game, so if you're really interested in running in a particular system that doesn't seem to be very popular right now, run online!

tesral
10-15-2014, 02:10 AM
Both. I game as a social activity. I like face to face if any choice is to be had. However one of my payers lives in Washington, and we are in Michigan. He coems in by Skype. I also have several e-mail games of very long standing.

One really doesn't have to choose.