PDA

View Full Version : D&D Save My Game: Shut Up Already!

PnP News Bot
07-13-2007, 12:52 AM
http://www.wizards.com/books/images/dnd_logo_small.jpg

Check out this new article Wizards of the Coast posted recently:

Save My Game: Shut Up Already! (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sg/20070713)

Farcaster
07-13-2007, 02:14 PM
WHAT??! I cannot "be a diva with the focus all on [me]?" WTH IS UP WITH THAT? :p

Moritz
07-14-2007, 08:52 AM
I loathe kibbitizing (rabid talking in a generally OOC manner that's not even about the game at hand). I'll normally keep talking, and if they missed what I had to say, screw them, I won't repeat it and if they die or miss out on super duper treasure because of it, it's their own damn fault.

The Wandering Bard
07-14-2007, 10:31 PM
I have been playing D&D for a little while and have been in groups very similare to the one he describes, (But older players) The talking is good for the players because it allows players to get to know each other, how they work and there tendencies. Even if its just idle chit chat, you can learn things about a person by listening to what they say. On the other hand, as a player who was attending the games to play It can be distracting. It is up to the DM to decide when the talking is good and bad or how much. As the DM it is up to you to figure this out to maximize the experiance. All in all it has to be decided by the DM and the Players when the right time to talk and not to is, or if they even wish to play, if they wish to converse than maybe put the game on hold for a while and talk than go to the game.

Moritz
07-15-2007, 12:48 PM
Eah, if they want to get to know one another, let them have a date night; this is game night. Time to be killin monsters, not running their mouths. :)

The Wandering Bard
07-15-2007, 01:24 PM
You have a point, The first game would be intresting to watch. The characters walk into the dungeon, and suddenly the role playing stops because somebody decided that that time was the best time to talk about Transformers the movie or football..etc..when the game starts again the guy that started the converstation suddenly takes mass damage because he stepped on a trap that the 6 others some how missed and DM smiles like the satin cat from alice in wonderland.

oh well just a thought. but as DM I would make game time for the game and time to talk before or after.

Moritz
07-16-2007, 08:49 AM
When all else fails - Zombie Hordes Attack, Pit Trap (with pointy sticks), or FIREBALL!

Farcaster
07-16-2007, 07:17 PM
As I think has been suggested before in another Wizards article, my recommendation would be to set aside some break time for letting the players kabitz freely, but then an understanding needs to be made between the players and GM that when the break is up, they need to make an effort to stay focused as much as possible.