PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone familiar with Alternity

falinxelote
07-16-2014, 01:23 PM
Its a game released a while back by TSR and Wizards. Back right after TSR was sold. It is not a bad system. Though the rating system tends to get a bit crazy with 3 levels of quality on everything. I was just wanting to get some of the communities opinions on it. I should not that I've played it 2-3 games with about 4-10 sessions each and added about 10 house rules so the system needed tweeking. So it would build usable characters with depth. But the biggest thing this system has going for it is the outlooks a way to read a few lines and know how to play the character. I thought that was the best made section of the system.

falinxelote
08-12-2014, 04:55 AM
Wow I guess not.

deaconabyss
08-12-2014, 07:43 AM
I used to own it but recently had a breakdown and tossed most my rpg stuff in the garbage. I am familiar with the system. It was nice and would had made a better 3e D&D if hands didn't change to WotC.

Matt James
08-20-2014, 07:42 AM
One of my favorite games. Rich Baker and Bruce Cordell worked on it.

falinxelote
08-20-2014, 12:36 PM
I'm a little surprised more folks haven't heard of Alternity. it is a great system that everyone I've played with or have spoken to who played liked. I'm thinking about dusting off the old books and getting a game going. The settings were great.

hilstad
08-21-2014, 01:50 PM
Alternity was the game-of-choice for my gaming group right after it came out. I played in one year-long campaign and then GMed another one that lasted even longer.

falinxelote
08-22-2014, 04:59 AM
So here is a question what settings and house rules did you guys use? I've played mostly Stardrive but I have dabbled with Dark matter. As for house rules I gave out the human points to everyone and gave humans 2 point toward perks plus they had a list of human exclusive ones which included the culture based ones from Stardrive. This I felt balanced the points a little. I also removed the step penalty and bonus for skill type untrained was +1 broad was +0 and specialty was -1. My group and I thought that was a bit much with the already lower scores for untrained and broad skills the penalty was pushing it over and made untrained skill rolls basically just rolling to see how bad you messed it up.

falinxelote
08-23-2014, 05:33 PM
OK so is anyone interested in a game of alternity? I'm only really available for pbp right now. But I think a star drive pbp might be fun.

hilstad
08-24-2014, 04:34 AM
I would be interested, but I would need to find a PDF of the rulebook. I gave all my books up a few 'collection purges' ago.

falinxelote
08-24-2014, 06:03 PM
I have PDFs they are also available on several web sites http://www.alternityrpg.net/downloads.php is one

falinxelote
08-28-2014, 01:18 PM
Id be willing to put a game together if we could get 3 or more players

tesral
10-15-2014, 02:31 AM
I've heard of it, I even have one book. It is rather the red headed stepchild of TSR tossed in the cold when they went under. Pity too, it had promise.

There is a decent on-line community supporting the best they can. It has fans.

falinxelote
10-15-2014, 05:12 AM
yeah i happen to be one of them i have basically all the stardrive books and some of the dark matter too