PDA

View Full Version : Hello!

SGTDan
07-01-2014, 04:00 PM
Hello Pen and Paper,

I've been an avid RPer for many years. I've been pretty dry on tabletop games for a long time in my area. So just looking to expand and get some games in.

-Dan

jpatterson
07-03-2014, 01:12 PM
Howdy Dan, and welcome to the site. There are a few glowing testimonials of people who have found long-term gaming groups here, using either the player finder or even chat (a few people have even gotten married due to this site), and the forums are a good casual way to get a feel for things here.

Here's some questions to get you started:

What kind of games (and gaming - genre, etc) and systems do you prefer? Are you more a GM or Player? How long you been gaming?

While there are plenty of active gamers that have weekly (or more often) local face-to-face gaming, a good number of people here also have all but "retired" from f2f, usually due to either unforgiving schedules that just don't put a gaming group in the cards for them, or due to their area in general not being much on gaming, or not the right kind, so you're probably in very good, empathetic company.

I'd also invite you to come to chat when you're able, as it's usually got a handful of people in it (busier around primetime, 8-11pm central US time) that both discuss gaming in general (or specific) and also play and run games, either here in text or voice chat, or in various virtual tabletops. There is also going to be a "mini convention" of sorts in chat Aug. 16 (PPGCon (http://penandpapergames.webs.com/game-registrations)) so you might pop-in and see if you want to try any of the games on the list for it. Again welcome!

SGTDan
07-04-2014, 01:23 AM
What kind of games (and gaming - genre, etc) and systems do you prefer?
Anything really but I like Horror, Sci-fi and Apocalypse and I don't have any system preferences expect Apocalypse World

Are you more a GM or Player?
More of a player

How long you been gaming?

God, fifteen years?

jpatterson
07-04-2014, 03:25 PM
Well then, good to have you with us. I also like horror and to an extent, sci-fi, but more mixed with horror, or darker action movie stuff (aliens, predator, event horizon) and I'm not sure what qualifies as apocalypse... I guess like Fallout or zombie stuff? I like the Walking Dead and Mad Max is a different setting than most people are used to.

I know there's another guy in chat that I think does MonsterHearts which I think is apocalypse world? It seems too complex for my pea-brain, and a bit like Cortex Plus that has relationship maps and such. I tend to liter, less involved (or possibly less evolved) systems in any way, mechanically or narratively. But there's a lot of different preferences here on PPG, in forums, in chat, in the player finder. I hope you make yourself at home here, and feel free to start convos, ask questions, PM me if you need anything specific, etc. Again, welcome!