PDA

View Full Version : Part 1: Act 3: Scene 2



Narayan
06-28-2014, 04:00 AM
http://i1345.photobucket.com/albums/p662/crowsontheskulls/World%20of%20Sion/Maps/th_OverlandMapofKingdomofVulkh_zps06c08861.png (http://s1345.photobucket.com/user/crowsontheskulls/media/World%20of%20Sion/Maps/OverlandMapofKingdomofVulkh_zps06c08861.png.html)h ttp://i1345.photobucket.com/albums/p662/crowsontheskulls/World%20of%20Sion/Maps/th_CityofMasaeusDetailedFixed.png (http://s1345.photobucket.com/user/crowsontheskulls/media/World%20of%20Sion/Maps/CityofMasaeusDetailedFixed.png.html)http://i1345.photobucket.com/albums/p662/crowsontheskulls/World%20of%20Sion/Things/th_LawsofVulkh.jpg (http://s1345.photobucket.com/user/crowsontheskulls/media/World%20of%20Sion/Things/LawsofVulkh.jpg.html)
Where: Continent of Akhenaten - Kingdom of Vulkh - City of Masaeus

When: 500th Year of the 3rd Age - Tuesday Morning - April 10th
__________________________________________________ ____


We are on DDS 132 now on rolz.org... please everyone roll up new Fate Pools​.



Outside of Wrusks Tannery_________________________________________



At that moment he immediately jumps up and kicks open the door, leaping from the wagon. His feet actually kick dust up from the cobblestoned street as he sprints into the park towards the wererat.

~It's time to keep my promise to those monsters that this old man will deliver an exotic beast like none has ever seen~

He readies himself to grapple the Wererat with burning resolve.

~goodbye you all... it was fun playing hero again~

As you charge into the park the wererat stares at you with disbelief likely asking itself, who is this crazy old man and what is he thinking? Once you get within thirty feet of it you see it's wearing traditional Akhenaten garb without armor. His clothes are rather expensive looking silks, still largely intact despite its shift into hybrid form. In one hand it clutches a curved dagger, which seems odd when it's own claws would serve just as well. It actually appears to cower from your charge, making you doubt this wererat was a warrior to begin with.

Xiaolong:

(Spot Check, DC 15: = 9, Fail)
(Listen Check, DC 16: = 28, Success)


At that instant, you hear the sound of creaking branches and look up to see a Vulkyrie guard hidden up in a nearby tree about 30 ft. away, already in the motions of throwing a javelin at you! Roll initiative!

__________________________________________________ ________

<Start of Round 1>




Bleeding Damage ( * )

Fire Damage ( # )

Cold Damage ( @ )
Spell Damage ( ^ )
Poison Damage ( ! )



The order of initiative is:

(18) Xiaolong
(15) Vulkyrie Guard
(14) Wereat
__________________________________________________ ________

[Xiaolong: You act first, What do you do?]

http://i1345.photobucket.com/albums/p662/crowsontheskulls/World%20of%20Sion/Diagrams/Act3Scene2WrusksTannery.png~original

Shun001
06-28-2014, 11:56 AM
Xiaolong when noticing the range assault about to befall him stops his charge and goes into his readied martial arts stance facing the Vul. Standing tall he prepares his forward hand to ACTIVELY PARRY the oncoming javelin. Should the javelin fall within his arm reach he was also prepared to use it as a retaliation weapon against the Vul.

He keeps situational awareness and monitors the Wererat just in case he must instead parry an assault from him instead.

~I will rid everyone of these monsters!~

Narayan
06-28-2014, 02:58 PM
The black-eyed Vulkyrie throws the javelin at you! It seems to be the same type of javelin that pinned those other three bodies to the ground, but the Vulkyrie doesn't appear to be carrying any more, which means after this attack it won't be able to throw another.

Vulkyrie Guard: (Javelin Attack: = 10, Possible Fumble)(Fumble Check: = 21, Not a fumble)

The Vulkyrie is momentarily off balance in the tree and this ruins its aim, yet it still manages to throw the Javelin near Xiaolong... it sticks into the earth less then 5ft. away.


Should the javelin fall within his arm reach he was also prepared to use it as a retaliation weapon against the Vul.

[Xiaolong: Because the Vulkyrie's attack missed, you do not need to waste an Active Parry against that attack and retain all your attacks this round. You are able to quickly retrieve the Vulkyrie's Javelin, stuck in the ground a few feet away. The Javelin is cruelly shaped but masterwork quality, perhaps even magical? It feels very deadly and well balanced in your grasp as you throw it back at the Vulkyrie. Make your attack!]

Shun001
06-28-2014, 06:38 PM
The sound that initially warned Xiaolong was a branch cracking and shifting its position a few inches while the Vul threw the javelin. It was thrown in good form but arcs slightly wide piercing the earth a few feet from where he stood.

Xiaolong reacts quickly grabbing the javelin out of the ground in his left hand and spins using his bodies momentum to release the javelin with all his strength in a deadly a counterattack! His aim is true [Attack roll= 23 HIT] and manages to pierce into the Vul's left leg [Damage=6] before falling loose from its own weight tumbling down through the branches.

Narayan
06-28-2014, 08:53 PM
The Vulkyrie shrieks with anger at the injury and affront of being wounded by its own weapon. So far it only see's an old man, but there's a chance it will detect Xiaolong's true nature by scent....

Vulkyrie Guard: (Survival Check, DC 23: = 18, Fail)

Failing to sense Xiaolong's true nature the Vulkyrie leaps from the tree and glides down before Xiaolong with a few strong beats of its large wings. It is now 10 ft. away.

Vulkyrie Guard: -speaking common- "Impudent old man! How DARE you interfere with my hunt! I will END YOU!" It says with an inhuman, raptor-like voice as it readies its wicked-looking Halberd.

Wererat: -speaking common- "Nooo! Runnnn!" The Wererat says attempting to form words with its muzzle, moving out a bit from its hiding place, looking like it wants to bolt at any moment.

__________________________________________________ ____________________

<Start of Round 2>



Bleeding Damage ( * )

Fire Damage ( # )

Cold Damage ( @ )
Spell Damage ( ^ )
Poison Damage ( ! )


The order of initiative is:

(18) Xiaolong
(15) Vulkyrie Guard (-6)
(14) Wereat
__________________________________________________ ________

[Xiaolong: It is your turn, What do you do?]

Shun001
06-28-2014, 09:41 PM
Xiaolong hears what appears to be concern coming from the wererat.

~I forget... inside there is still a person~

Xiaolong doesn't waste much time to ponder about the Wererat's motive. He pushes on forward and swiftly strikes at the Vul though his punch doesn't seem to land in a soft enough spot in his armor to deal damage. [Attack roll= 14 fail]

Xiaolong doesn't succumb to the pressure and prepares to defend himself from the counterattack

Narayan
06-29-2014, 08:32 PM
The Vulkyrie Guard almost laughs at your weak strike.

Vulkyrie Guard: "Puny Human!"

(First Attack with Halberd: = 19, Hit)(Location: Left Arm)(Damage: = 13)
(Second Attack with Halberd: = 18, Hit)(Location: Right Arm)(Damage: = 14)


Wererat: (Full Run Action) Seeing a chance to escape, the wererat bolts... running at maximum speed away from the Vulkyrie which actually takes it towards the tannery.

<Start of Round 3>




Bleeding Damage ( * )

Fire Damage ( # )

Cold Damage ( @ )
Spell Damage ( ^ )
Poison Damage ( ! )



The order of initiative is:

(18) Xiaolong (-13)(-14)
(15) Vulkyrie Guard (-6)
(14) Wereat
__________________________________________________ ________

[Xiaolong: It is your turn, What do you do?]

Shun001
06-29-2014, 09:08 PM
Xiaolong is assaulted by 2 heavy his of the Vul's halberd. Tearing deep into his flesh and ripping his cloths to shreds Xiaolong is left a bloody mess as he struggles to stand... and for that fact keep his humanity.

"it's my turn" the voice said inside him waiting ever so eagerly to come out.

[Control Shape DC25= 12 Fail]

Xiaolong's vision fades into darkness... he floats in the void of his soul none the wiser of what was about to befall his body.

Jiao begins to emerge from the bloody heap that was once the old man Xiaolong.

Narayan
06-29-2014, 10:32 PM
Hurrying up the street behind Purusartha you keep a look out as he peeks around the corner with the front door of Wrusks Tannery in sight. It looks all clear so Purusartha gestures for the rest of you to keep going.

Purusartha: "Get to shelter! I'll catch up!" Purusartha says looking like he's going to turn back to run to the park.

Yorick: {Grunts} "Wait! What are you doing?"

Purusartha: "I can't just leave the old man to die like that... He hasn't been to the Tannery before. Even if he survives he might get lost. Same goes for Jiao, someone should be be there to tell him where to hide if he gets the chance."

Yorick: "I'll come too!"

Purusartha: "No you need to stay with Sauel. If anything happens to me, you'll need him to teach you how to survive."

Yorick: {frowns} "You said you were my pack-mate too Purusartha. Why should I let you go off by yourself? I'm not afraid!"

Purusartha: "You should listen to your elders pup! You're not ready for this so close to the full moon. I can handle it. Don't worry I won't let myself be captured so if I don't return soon, don't come looking for me!"

Arminas: {shakes his head} -Speaks in a very frank and logical tone-"I don't think Jiao will be in the mood to hide. You remember how he was down below? He slaughtered those Bugbears... and annihilated those Kobolds! It's anyone's guess how strong his bloodlust will be at the chance to battle Wererats! ...or worse!"

Sher' Reek: {Grimaces at the mention of her fallen tribesman} -Speaks frankly but begrudgingly- "Actually elf is right. Big bull is too dangerous! let him go and kill as many as he can!"

[Cred, Emiko, Sauel: do you have anything to say?]

rtcvb32
06-30-2014, 12:21 AM
~Why is this happening?~ Sauel had to think and ask himself. It was like him and his group were covered in strong bitter wolf's bane and trouble was following their scent not giving them any chance to really recover. Was this what it was like in cities in general or was today they were very very unlucky?

Looking over the group, Emiko, Cred and Arminas knew where the tannery was. Although Yorick was potentially a loose cannon splitting up wasn't a good idea either; Although he couldn't rule it off because he didn't know Xiaolong as he had also risked his life to help someone he never met before, merely because he'd hope someone else was willing to do the same for him some day. And Jaio wasn't a bad sort as far as Sauel was concerned.

In the end Yorick could refuse the orders, split away to follow Purusartha and it would be more trouble and more disorganization than letting him have his way. "I'll have to agree with Yorick. Splitting up is a bad idea, and we shouldn't leave anyone behind; pack-member or friend. He was reasonable last time, I'm betting he will be again."

Looking to the four non-were's he motioned with his head. "Hurry back to the safehouse, we shouldn't be long."

Narayan
06-30-2014, 02:38 AM
listens to the conversation with only half an ear. Despite the apparently safe surroundings, he's not such a fool to let his attention drift completely to the conversation at hand. The ripping snores of Rol's partner, Gilbur, are loud in the otherwise quiet night. But between them, Burrai searches for the sounds of stealthy feet, daggers being drawn, the distant howl of wild hounds gathering in the distance....

...that is until the mention of Skull mountain. Tonight agents from the black network come down to harry him from his home, and now a traveler from there bids the to join his fire. He asses Rol again, but sees only a dwarf keeping watch by a fire. And besides, who would be so artless to drop a name like Skull mountain were he planning something malevolent. Burrai narrows his eyes, his left turned into a single dark tunnel by his ugly scars, as though it were just a hole bored into his skull. Rol glances at Burrai, sees the dark thoughts turning, and stiffens, taken aback.

~King Erver ill.... a traveler moving clear of the shadow of the Black Network's Fortress. Those same agents abroad looking for a book inked with evil. A simple craftsman setting a watch in the shade of town walls. There's more afoot here than I know, and it seems to all stem from the same place~

"Perhaps Rol, you can help us with a few things? Elloral here might not want to speak of politics, per say, but certain events might be of interest to us anyway. You say you lived near to Skull Mountain, and at the moment, news of anything.....worrying from there would be valuable to us."

"Anything unusual like unsettling rumors and strange occurrences... that sort of thing. I'd be happy to pay for such news with a little coin, and if its relevant to us I will share some of our own story with you. If I'm right, our words may serve you just as well."

Burrai leans back, clearly placing his hands away from his axe - a typical Dwarven gesture: Speak freely, I will take no offence.

[Burrai will watch Rol carefully as he answers, trying to figure out from his body language whether he's holding back information, or if he's hiding his true feelings when he answers. Sense Motive Check: 8]


{Raises his brows and shifts his weight nervously in his chair feeling the threat of Burrai's stare} "Unsettling rumors from Skull Mountain? Are there any other kind?" He asks rhetorically with a hint of dark humor. "Keep your coin friend, I do well enough already, but I'll be happy to share what I know..."

"My home town, Andar, lies in the hills west of Ayuthaya, close to Skull Mountain. I grew up hearing all the stories, most of which kept me up at night as a boy..." {sighs} "My grandfather was a friend of the mountain dwarves. He spoke fondly of the Dwarven Kingdom of Whurgythmora so I know many of its legends."

"When Torgrimm IronAxe tried to reclaim the mountain, my grandfather joined his army and convinced several others from our clan to do the same. Unfortunately my grandfather was the only one who returned, and I'm sad to say he was the last of my clan to fight alongside the mountain dwarves. That terrible battle haunted him to the last of his days..."

{clears his throat} "But I digress... we were talking about Skull Mountain. Yes there are many terrible rumors about that place. My town knows it's evil better then most. Several times a year something from Skull Mountains attacks us. Usually its goblinoids, but worse things have appeared. Once I even witnessed an attack by a pair of young Hill Giants. They collapsed a few buildings and killed two dozen townsfolk before we managed to chase them off."

"Scary thing is I'm sure those giants aren't even the strongest monsters that lurk on Skull Mountain. Frankly I'm amazed our town hasn't been destroyed. Other towns near to Skull Mountain have fallen, but Andar remains relatively untouched. My clan credits our warriors but I believe in another explanation..."

Rol pauses, glancing over his shoulder at Gilburs tent still rumbling with his snores.

-asks in a softer voice- "...have you heard of the Black Network?"

[Burrai: Your sense motive check isn't good enough to really determine if Rol is holding back or hiding anything. Make a Listen check]

Burrai: (Listen Check: = 16)
Elloral: (Listen Check: = 18)
Rol: (Listen Check: = 21)

Both of you notice a sudden pause in Gilbur's snoring as soon as Rol utters those last few words. Rol notices it too and frowns, quickly lifting a finger to his lips.

Moments later you hear movement from within Gilburs tent before a bearded head suddenly stuffs itself through the tent flaps, red-eyed and very irritable. Gilbur appears to be younger then Rol with a thick black beard and hair. When he speaks three of his teeth appear to be capped in gold.

Gilbur: "Is this how you keep watch Rol by Inviting strangers into camp while I sleep?!"

Rol: {Huffs} "We're outside the town gates, we're in no danger."

Gilbur: "I am in danger of loosing my temper if I don't get some rest! I need to sleep off that bitter black ale or I'll feel Moradins hammer banging against my skull all day tomorrow!"

Rol: "Well that's what you get for drinking with Half Orcs... It's common knowledge their brewing skills leave much to be desired."

Gilbur: {Scoffs} "I wasn't drinking with them because I enjoyed it! It was just business... I got them to buy four crossbows with forty bolts a-piece, which is a lot more then you sold in days!"

Rol: {Shrugs} "...Great... so are you going back to sleep or not? I was in the middle of an intriguing conversation, but we will do our best to keep our voices down."

Gilbur: {Rolls his eyes} "Intriguing conversation you say? Do you know these strangers?"

Rol: {Shakes his head slowly} "We've just met."

Gilbur: {Groans} "Then by Moradins beard what is so damn intriguing?! Are they warning us about a huge warparty of Gnolls about to attack?! Is Cabarda overrun with zombies?! Please tell me what news they bring that matters more to you then me getting a good nights rest? Or should I let YOU do the negotiating tomorrow and let our goods sell for less then goblin shit?"

[Burrai: What do you do?]

Hillsy
06-30-2014, 06:03 PM
{Groans} "Then by Moradins beard what is so damn intriguing?! Are they warning us about a huge warparty of Gnolls about to attack?! Is Cabarda overrun with zombies?! Please tell me what news they bring that matters more to you then me getting a good nights rest? Or should I let YOU do the negotiating tomorrow and let our goods sell for less then goblin shit?"


The night feels close. The firelight throws up a glow of deep red light around Burrai, making the darkness outside feel thicker. More substantial. One corner of the journal, tucked in Elloral's pouch, presses against a tiny crack in his armour and dimples his skin. Burrai knows it's imagination, but it feels hot anyway. Like one tiny scrap of his skin has a burning fever. It's a reflection of his growing annoyance.

Deliberately, so neither of the dwarven traders could miss it, he slides his axe out from under his crossed legs. His steel boots scrape against the heavy blade, rasping the way a slowly drawn sword hisses from a scabbard. Rol and Gilbur turn to look. Burrai places his axe before him, inches from his toes. No Dwarf would miss the gesture, and certainly not merchants: negotiations are over, and here is my final offer.

"Now I don't know if you two are Bragargh's {translation: Dwarven Satirical Performers} come fresh from Erver's court, or just 100 carat fools. But you are both going to shut up and listen." Burrai leans forward. The fire paints his face in ripples of deep amber. Shadows fill his scar like ink, pool in his nearly blinded left eye. His words are quiet, careful, like the rumble of a cliff about to shed scree onto a village. Silence gathers and for a moment only the popping, crackling fire dares speak. "Good. Gilbur, Rol - this is what's going to happen.

"Rol. You are going to finish what you were saying. Gilbur, you are going to pay attention and think - think very hard mind - and then add anything you believe relevant. That is your half of the trade. In turn, I am going to give you one of two things. It'll either be a little peace of mind, that nothing of note is happening. You can then return to your blankets, sleep off your ale, safe in the knowledge that you're going to wake in the morning."

Burrai taps one gauntleted finger against his axe blade, two sharp notes ring out. "On the other hand, it might be a little information. Something that maybe, just maybe, will keep your thick skulls attached to your necks. Now I don't know which it's going to be until after you have told me what I know. The alternative is that I get up, walk away, and you two contemplate a very serious decision all night. Because you won't sleep. In fact I'll warrant you'll start planning to move before dawn. The problem is, you won't know whether you're running into trouble, away from trouble, or even if there's any trouble out there at all. And only I can answer that."

Burrai clasps his heavy hands together, and rests his chin on the knot of his fingers. "A fair trade: information for information. Or no trade at all." He smiles. Limned in firelight, it isn't very pleasant.

"So make your choice."

Daydreaming
06-30-2014, 10:11 PM
"I'll have to agree with Yorick. Splitting up is a bad idea, and we shouldn't leave anyone behind; pack-member or friend. He was reasonable last time, I'm betting he will be again."

Looking to the four non-were's he motioned with his head. "Hurry back to the safehouse, we shouldn't be long."
{Emiko scowls at Sauel and moves to follow with Purusartha as well.} "You just said splitting up is a bad idea... I will go too. Whatever needs to be done can be done faster with help." She says to Sauel.

~Sauel would help the old man even though he barely knows him. Maybe he is not as bad as I thought...Maybe he can be trusted...~

(Fate Pool: 20D20 => 209.)

rtcvb32
06-30-2014, 11:09 PM
Frowning Sauel looks to Emiko. "You aren't a lycan. If we have to drag him back kicking and screaming and you get injured then you WILL get in the way and it WILL go slower. Go back to the safehouse Emiko... please?"

Another reason Sauel really didn't want Emiko was her offensive fire skills; Even with the coming sunrise it was best not to use them with the Vul always overhead. The natural skills the three werewolfs had would be enough to stay out of view, track down, and retrieve Xaio to bring him back; Plus Purusartha's knowledge of the city would come in handy if they couldn't return shortly.

Sauel could see he wasn't convincing Emiko; It was time to be blunt. "Emiko... DON'T come with us. You're abilities are too flashy, too much a sore thumb and stand out while it is still dark out. You will only get in the way. So long as we aren't assaulted by another dragon, I'm sure three weres is more than enough to handle what's out there to get Xaio back safely."

Narayan
07-02-2014, 03:06 AM
Rol and Gilbur look at each other in mild alarm reacting to Burrai's threat but Elloral tries to assuage their concern.

Elloral: "Sirs please be patient with us! My friend Burrai just lost his home because evil things were stalking us in these hills earlier. We are both tired and on edge, we need answers and we'd be grateful for your help!"

Gilbur: {Spits upon the ground} "I heard what sort of answers you seek! What you speak of is a dangerous subject!" {Looks to Burrai} "You think you scare me? Hah! ...They scare me... they may be watching you even now... which means me and my idiot partner Rol would take a big risk to aid or speak with you whatsoever."

Rol: "Gilbur! Show a little backbone. They are clearly desperate, how can you refuse them information? Elloral is a cleric of Valkauna for goodness sake! Her temple has likely presided over birthdays and funerals for many of your friends and loved ones. Would you spit in her eye and invite the ire of the gods!"

Gilbur: "That's just silly superstition! They could be out there in the dark! Better to fear the enemy we know. Besides, I doubt he..." {gestures to Burrai} "...will live long enough to stalk us if they are already stalking him. For certain he's not going to murder us here and now in cold blood around so many witnesses! Send them away Rol!"

[Burrai: What do you do?]

Daydreaming
07-02-2014, 03:15 AM
~So he sees me as a burden is that it? Fine! Let them deal with their 'lycan' problems on their own!~

{Emiko steps back from the lycanthropes. She appears very hurt by Sauel's words. Her eyes tear up a bit, and she looks embarrassed as she looks around at the others staring at her.} -Speaking Katanese- "Watashi wa itsumo mondaida!" She exclaims in a hurt tone.

As she speaks the last word she turns her head down in embarrassment, and quickly runs away from everyone in the group. She runs as fast as she can to Wrusk's door, and knocks on it as hard as she can, three times. She leans on the door with her face pressed against it, silently praying that he responds quickly before the tears roll down her cheeks. Her body glows faintly from her emotions, and her hands slightly sear the wood of the door as she clings to it.

(Translation: Watashi wa itsumo mondaida = I am always the problem.)

rtcvb32
07-02-2014, 03:18 PM
Although Sauel got the result he wanted he felt like a bully somehow based on her reaction. Sometimes the ends justified the means, especially in lycan society. Unfortunately he didn't have time to ponder or figure out the what' and whys of it all.


With little doubt three others would return to the cellar he turned towards the last direction he'd seen Xaio run (and perhaps was still within view from this angle). "Let's do this..."

Hillsy
07-02-2014, 05:35 PM
"That's just silly superstition! They could be out there in the dark! Better to fear the enemy we know. Besides, I doubt he..." {gestures to Burrai} "...will live long enough to stalk us if they are already stalking him. For certain he's not going to murder us here and now in cold blood around so many witnesses! Send them away Rol!"


Burrai watches them for a moment, head tilted to one side. Lit by the flickering light of the flames he seems to move, despite being stiller than stone. Then he turns to Elloral, dismissing the two Dwarves from his attention.

"Come on Elloral. These two have told us all we need to know." He gets to his feet, slips his heavy axe into it's loop on his belt. "It's clear the Network are stirring in Skull Mountain. Enough that merchants are setting watch in the shadows of Cabarda's walls anyway. That alone means they've got agents still abroad more than likely. That's all we need." He turns, walks to the edge of the firelight and waits for Elloral to join him, looking back at the three shapes huddled around the firepit.

"Good night Master Dwarves. Sleep and wake without meeting the Ancestors. Perhaps our paths with cross again in less dark times." His mouth twitches into something of a grin, twisted by the ugly ragged edge of his scar.

"Because you'll find Burrai Steelborn is not so easily disposed of."

Narayan
07-03-2014, 06:11 PM
For a moment the Vulkrie assumes Xiaolong is about to collapse from his wounds and gets distracted by the fleeing wererat who was its original prey. However it quickly realizes that Xiaolongs convulsions are not death-throws but a prelude to a bizarre transformation.

The Vulkyrie screeches with surprise as Xiaolong's skull sprouts horns while his limbs thicken and grow. In a matter of seconds, the diminutive old Caishian rises to stand almost a foot taller than the Vulkyrie. Jiao has emerged and his lips curl with relish at the sight of his new foe.

Jiao: -speaking common- "Prepare to die bird man!" {used 5 ft step to move even closer ensuring the Vulkyrie won't be able to step out of his reach} (Intimidation Check: = 26)

Vulkyrie Guard: (Sense Motive: = 11, Fail)

The Vulkyrie is instantly intimidated by Jiao and reacts out of fear, attacking the werebull with its Halberd.

Vulkyrie Guard:​

(First Halberd Attack: = 12, possible fumble)(Fumble Check: = 19, Not a fumble)
(Second Halberd Attack: = 7, possible fumble)(Fumble Check: = 9, Fumble!)(Provokes Attack of Opportunity from Jiao!)


The Vulkyrie's strikes are strong but clumsy as it panics, provoking an attack of opportunity from Jiao!

Jiao: (Initiates an Improved Grapple: = 28, Hit)(Location: Right Arm)

Jiao grabs the Vulkyrie's right arm in a sort of arm lock, preventing it from fleeing or using it's weapon!

Vulkyrie Guard: (Opposed strength check to break the grapple: = 23, Win)

Jiao: (Opposed strength check to maintain grapple: = 13, Loose)

The Vulkyrie manages to yank its arm free of Jiao's grip with a rush of adrenaline.

Jiao: (Initiative: = 16)

Narayan
07-03-2014, 07:34 PM
She runs as fast as she can to Wrusk's door, and knocks on it as hard as she can, three times. She leans on the door with her face pressed against it, silently praying that he responds quickly before the tears roll down her cheeks. Her body glows faintly from her emotions and her hands slightly sear the wood of the door as she clings to it.

Several moments pass before the small porthole in Wrusks door opens. Wrusk recognizes you, glances down the street and opens the door.

Wrusk: {stares down at you wiping away tears and frowns} "Come inside!"

You enter his common room where his monkey is perched on his chair. It screeches at you.

Meanwhile Arminas, Palenrian, Cred and Sher' Reek all arrive at the doorway. Wrusk ushers them inside as well.

Wrusk: "What's happened? Where are the others?"

Arminas: "Not everyone made it out. Purusartha, Sauel and Yorick are alive. They're in the neighborhood, they'll be back as soon as they can. This is Palenrian, the man we rescued." He says gesturing to the off-worlder.

Wrusk: {simply nods} "Ok, get down into the cellar."

As you all make your way out of the common room Wrusk sprinkles some sort of magic dust behind you following your trail.

Wrusk: "This will hide your scent in case any Vulkyrie track you to my door and search inside." He says.

[What do you do?]

Narayan
07-03-2014, 08:11 PM
Although Sauel got the result he wanted he felt like a bully somehow based on her reaction. Sometimes the ends justified the means, especially in lycan society. Unfortunately he didn't have time to ponder or figure out the what' and whys of it all.

With little doubt the others would return to the cellar he turned towards the last direction he'd seen Xiao run (and perhaps was still within view from this angle). "Let's do this..."

Purusartha: {Looks to you and Yorick and nods} "Very well, we will move as a pack."

The three of you head back towards the park together, walking at a brisk pace. Meanwhile at the end of the street the jail-wagon has already turned around and heading towards you. Purusartha and the city watch sergeant exchange the slightest of nods as you pass each other. You can't see the battle in the park until you reach the end of the street at the end of round 4 for Jiao and the Vulkyrie Guard.

voidoblivion
07-04-2014, 12:27 AM
he enters and sighs happy to be at a seemingly safe place

We need to rest at the very minimum for the day, I know a few of us need to heal and comune with our gods.

Narayan
07-04-2014, 03:00 PM
The dwarves continue to argue as you walk out of their camp. Rol is angry at Gilbur for being rude. Meanwhile you find another spot to wait for the gates to open, out of sight of Rol's camp but still in the crowd where its safer. You have no wood to make a fire, or chairs to sit comfortably, so for now you have to make due with a cold camp on open ground. Elloral doesn't seem keen on bothering with a tent since you won't be here very long.

Elloral: "I don't trust that Gilbur fellow. He puts on a big show about avoiding the subject of the black network, but a frightened person doesn't pretend to snore... a frightened person would just lay there quietly."

"I agree with what you said Burrai. It's clear the network is up to something. Whatever it is may be in this journal..." {pats it on her side} "...which makes it all the more imperative that we translate it as soon as possible. I don't know who else has any answers unless we find an opportunity to talk to Rol without Gilbur around?"

[Burrai: What do you do?]

Narayan
07-04-2014, 08:53 PM
<Start of Round 4>



Bleeding Damage ( * )

Fire Damage ( # )

Cold Damage ( @ )
Spell Damage ( ^ )
Poison Damage ( ! )


The order of initiative is:

(16) Jiao (-16)(-15)
(15) Vulkyrie Guard (-6)(-23)
(14) Wererat
__________________________________________________ ________

Jiao beings to strike at the Vulkyrie with the practiced moves of a monk, doubly dangerous with his massive strength and bulk.

Jiao:


(First Unarmed Strike: = 17, Miss)
(Second Unarmed Strike: = 16, Miss)
(Third Unarmed Strike: = 32, Possible Critical!)(Critical Check: = 30, Critical!)(Location: Right Leg)(Damage: = 23)


He misses with two punches but snap-kicks the Vulkyrie guard savagely in his right leg with his sharp hoof, bruising it down to the bone! On a weaker creature that bone would have burst into splinters!

The vulkyrie shrieks and stumbles, whirling around welding its Halberd.

Vulkyrie Guard:

(First Halberd Strike: = 23, Hit)(Location: Chest)(Damage: = 16)
(Second Halberd Strike: = 15, Hit)(Location: Skull)(Damage: = 15)

The Vulkyrie lands two solid blows with his Halberd, gashing Jiao across the chest and the side of his skull!

Jiao: (Fortitude Save vs. Stun, DC 15: = 24, Success)

A weaker creature would have collapsed but Jiao simply roars with rage and delight. ~The infamous Vulkyrie are a worthy foe!~

Daydreaming
07-05-2014, 02:28 AM
Emiko makes her way to Wrusk's wash room without saying a word, she takes out her soap from her pack and Kitsune jumps out. Kit watches as Emiko begins scrubbing away all the mess from the dungeon chutes and her makeup from the disguise. She combs her hair clean with her soap and the water Wrusk had left in there. Once clean and smelling of jasmine once again she would silently follow the others down to the cellar, with Kit safely hiding in her pack again.

Narayan
07-06-2014, 08:42 PM
Purusartha, Sauel and Yorick all come to the end of the street and see the fearsome duel in the park between Jiao and the Vulkyrie Guard. They are still 100 ft away from it. None of you see any trace of the Wererat you spotted earlier either.

Purusartha: "As I feared... Jiao has emerged! He may have met his match this time. Lets hope that Vulkyrie doesn't manage to blow his horn or we'll have to seek cover immediately!" {glances around the sky nervously}

Vulkyrie Guard: (Spot Check, DC 13: = 22, Success) The Vulkyrie has no trouble spotting the three of you entering the park, though he doesn't yet consider you a threat.

Purusartha: {Frowns} "It spotted us."

Yorick: {Stares at the large werebull trading blows with the Vulkyrie and grins.} "They look evenly matched! Shall I help Jiao finish him off?!" He asks.

Purusartha: {shakes his head} "If we rush in now the Vulkyrie might get spooked and blow his horn or take to the air, even if we don't shift forms. Lets just move in slowly, but be ready to charge! If Jiao looses this duel we will come to his aid. If more Vulkyrie appear we will do our best to warn him, but we should avoid detection ourselves if at all possible."

The three of you enter the park at a normal speed... which means you will need approximately 3 rounds to reach Jiao and the Vulkyrie 100 ft. away. Purusartha calmly knocks an arrow to his compound bow as you walk but doesn't raise it or aim it at anything.

[Sauel: What do you do?]

<Start of Round 5>



Bleeding Damage ( * )

Fire Damage ( # )

Cold Damage ( @ )
Spell Damage ( ^ )
Poison Damage ( ! )


The order of initiative is:

(18) Yorick (Holding Action)
(16) Jiao (-16)(-15)
(15) Purusartha
(15) Vulkyrie Guard (-6)(-23)
(14) Wererat
(4) Sauel

rtcvb32
07-07-2014, 12:04 AM
Sauel had no doubt they would have been considered a threat if they didn't look human. This meant changing before they closed the distance would be a large problem. At this point a backup weapon probably would have been good, but Sauel had long since expected the night over and to recover from the night's many troubles and challenges. If he had to race forward he would probably be shifting again and offer cover and distraction...

Assuming someone didn't throw another fireball and singe all his fur off...

"Alright. I say his horn should be your primary target if you have to shoot... For now I'll keep an eye on the sky until we charge..."

There was also Jaio to think about. Jaio would be annoyed if they interrupted his battle prematurely. If the battle remained isolated Sauel would be happy to let Jaio and the Vul battle it out until a victor was certain (and preferably without Jaio dying).

Narayan
07-07-2014, 05:22 PM
"Alright, I'll take it." He lets in. Although he is curious if Izel will sit back down or rather leave and message him later.

“Apologies for stressing it that far.” He says with a smile and a nod as if they are in understanding.

“Who’d have been the next pick in case I refuse?” There should be no harm in knowing that, it’s a really insignificant detail.

He slightly leans on his hand as he thinks if further. Another interesting question is what would’ve happened to him if he refused, he doubts Izel would’ve left it at this. Maybe he should’ve pushed some more buttons after all, but maybe he can just talk that out eventually as well. Then maybe, it’d have been more prudent focusing more on getting on the better side of the man instead…

Izel: "We've spoke enough for one day. As we have never been seen together before, remaining here any longer would draw too much attention. Go and clear your schedule and prepare to leave. Return here in twelve hours and someone will meet you with further instructions. They'll introduce themselves as Shul." {Turns to leave.}

[Ersun: What do you do?]

Narayan
07-08-2014, 12:19 AM
As you all move down into the cellar you can see that is has been tidied up a bit. There is a bathing tub set up in one corner surrounded by a curtain and several cots set up against the wall covered in furs. The cupboards and counters by the stove are stacked with food, enough to keep you all comfortably fed for a couple weeks.

Achetii stands as you approach and ruffles her wings nervously. Wrusk speaks up to the newcomers.

Wrusk: "Welcome to my cellar. This is your sanctuary for as long as you need it, for as long as we can maintain it's secrecy. This is NOT the place for fighting or nonsense. If any of you endanger the group, I'll kill you myself... just like the Vulkyrie I used to make this cane!" {taps his cane on the floorboards for emphasis}

Arminas: {Leads Palenrian to a seat by the stove where its warmest and turns to speak to Wrusk.} "We are in your debt, you'll get no trouble from us."

Wrusk: {Nods to Arminas and looks to Sher' Reek} "You're ugly, even for a Kobold... where did they find you?"

Sher' Reek: {Hisses} "You're just as ugly in my eyes old man. You're a Half Orc aren't you? I've seen some of your race before. Usually slaves, never very smart..."

Wrusk: {Growls} "I'm smart enough to have survived this long!"

Sher' Reek: "...and touchy." She adds.

Wrusk: {Snorts} "I'll be upstairs!"

[Cred, Emiko: What do you do?]

Daydreaming
07-08-2014, 03:57 AM
Once in the cellar Emiko would grab her belongings she left there from before and put them in her pack, except her book and writing materials. Noticing a cot placed a bit away from the other cots in the room, she sits down cross-legged in the center of the cot. She begins to write in Katanese in her book, about all that has transpired since they left the cellar earlier.

{Emiko looks nervous when she hears Wrusk mention killing anyone that endangers the group, and she looks up at the conversation between Wrusk and Sher'Reek.} -Speaking Common- "Thank you for your kindness Wrusk-San... But please wait a moment before you go back upstairs..." She says to him before he leaves to go.

{Emiko sets her writing materials aside and walks over to Sher'Reek. She pulls off the cloth that made up her makeshift coverings, and holds it out in front of her to hand to Sher'Reek.} "This cloth would serve better for your size rather than my large cloak... Not only that, but I would like my cloak returned to me now, it is important to me... Also, I think we should put Cael's body with Ivar's for now. It makes sense to keep the dead in one place don't you think?" She says motioning for Sher'Reek to produce her bag of holding and give Emiko back her cloak.

"Where is Ivar's body, Wrusk-San? Don't you think it wise to keep Cael with him as well?" She turns speaking to Wrusk behind her while she waits for Sher'Reek to comply.

Narayan
07-08-2014, 01:41 PM
{Emiko sets her writing materials aside and walks over to Sher'Reek. She pulls off the cloth that made up her makeshift coverings, and holds it out in front of her to hand to Sher'Reek.} "This cloth would serve better for your size rather than my large cloak... Not only that, but I would like my cloak returned to me now, it is important to me... Also, I think we should put Cael's body with Ivar's for now. It makes sense to keep the dead in one place don't you think?" She says motioning for Sher'Reek to produce her bag of holding and give Emiko back her cloak.

"Where is Ivar's body, Wrusk-San? Don't you think it wise to keep Cael with him as well?" She turns speaking to Wrusk behind her while she waits for Sher'Reek to comply.

Sher' Reek: {Does as she is bid, removing your cloak and quickly covering herself in the Geisha wrappings you've been wearing, though they are also large and poorly fitting for her. Then she produces her bag of holding.}

Wrusk: {Frowns} "So Cael has fallen? What a shame." {Helps remove his body from Sher' Reek's bag of holding.} "I put Ivar's body in the shed of animal carcasses we use for furs. I know its not the most respectful way to store a body, but it's the best place to hide it from the Vulkyrie because it disguises the smell."

Arminas: {Steps over} "Wouldn't that magical dust you used earlier hide the smell?"

Wrusk: "I doubt it. The Vulkyrie have the strongest noses I've ever seen. The powder is only strong enough to mask a lingering scent, not an actual person or thing."

Arminas: "Burying the bodies isn't an option?"

Wrusk: {Snorts} "Perhaps, but my tannery isn't a graveyard! Besides, I'm sure these Half Dwarves have family who want their bodies returned to them..."

Arminas: {Nods} "Of course. Shall I help you carry Cael upstairs then?"

[Cred, Emiko: What do you do?]

p3sent
07-08-2014, 02:21 PM
“Until next time then” He says as he watches Izel leave. Twelve hours, that is plenty of time, and now that he thinks about it, there should be plenty to do as well.

He continues to finish his remaining drinks while playing with a coin on the table. First he should think of what story to give for his leave, but that should not be that hard, something simple should suffice. Maybe he met someone who offered to take him out on a longer ranging, and why not. That should be hard to disprove, and he can’t think of a better option so far. Telling his family and old Lysen should suffice.

Then he should dig up what the rest of the people know and think, about this affair with the newcomers, without letting out what he just learned of course. Although he doesn’t expect much, but maybe there will be some leak, he could be called a warmage too with a stretch, after all, even if he tries to avoid its duties. He could question Lysen too while he is telling he will be off, maybe she caught onto something.

What information to look for... Learning more about Izel and about his recent activities, and another two senior warmage to make it less obvious who and why he exactly wants to know about. One of those extras could be Enoch, the Speaker of the Council, maybe something other kind of interesting will turn up there too.

He also wants to learn more details about the scouts who have been captured. He already heard rumours about them, if he asks at the right people, then they are bound to know something more.

Mind flayers... just the thought of them sends shivers down his spine. He could ask some senior warmages and warriors how they are doing with That threat these days. He has all the reason to be wary of them due to his experience, and if he asks calmly and logically enough then maybe they’ll let onto more than just trying to soothe his fears.

He might as well ask one or two things about ranging to strengthen his alibi, that won’t take much time.

So, supposedly there are people watching him sometimes, maybe he can find out something about those little spies now that he knows about them, or at least watch out for them.
~Just don’t get too paranoid, Ersun.~

Then he should have a large meal and pack his belongings. He shouldn’t need anything more than what he usually takes with himself to his travels.

Rest of the time can be spent with leisure, entertain his little sisters and hang out with his brother. If he is good he might even get a few hours of sleep before he comes back to meet with that so called Shul. It is time to make good use of twelve hours, set schedules can be exciting when they are not impossible. He says farewell to the barman as he leaves to do so, humming a merry tune about snakes and foxes nonchalantly.

(Gather Information check: 23)

Narayan
07-08-2014, 02:27 PM
<Start of Round 5>



Bleeding Damage ( * )

Fire Damage ( # )

Cold Damage ( @ )
Spell Damage ( ^ )
Poison Damage ( ! )


The order of initiative is:

(18) Yorick (Holding Action)
(16) Jiao (-16)(-15)
(15) Purusartha
(15) Vulkyrie Guard (-6)(-23)(-29)(-12)(Unconscious)
(4) Sauel

Jiao attempts to grapple the Vulkrie again.

Jiao:

(Initiate Grapple Check: = 15, Hit)
(Opposed Strength Check: = 18, Win)(Location: Chest)


Vulkyrie Guard: (Opposed Strength Check: = 7, Fail)

Jiao manages to step closer to the Vulkyrie and wrap his arms around it lifting it off its feat in a show of mighty strength before he slams the Vulkyrie down to the ground with all his weight atop it in a body-slam!

Jiao:

(Body Slam Critical Check: = 27, Not a Critical)
(Body Slam Damage: = 29)


The Vulkyrie's Rib's crack under the brutal body slam as it opens its beak to make a silent shriek as all the air is forced from its lungs! [Vulkyrie is now prone]

Jiao glares deep into the Vulkyrie's black eyes and snorts with exertion through his bull-like nostrils before he tries to finish it off with his horns!

Jiao: (Horn Strike: = 33, Hit)(Location: Skull)(Damage: = 12)

With a savaged jerk of his head Jiao drags a horn across the Vulkyrie's skull, tearing off a large bit of hide revealing pale bone beneath!

Vulkyrie Guard: (Fortitude Save to remain conscious at negative Hit Points, DC 17: = 16, Fail) [Vulkyrie is now unconscious]

The Vulkyrie's eyes roll up into his head as it's breathing becomes very shallow and ragged. Jiao stands and bellows with triumph, placing one hoof atop the Vulkyrie's chest in a pose of victory!

__________________________________________________ ____________

<End Round 5> <End of Combat>

Narayan
07-08-2014, 04:20 PM
The three of you quickly move up to Jiao now that he has triumphed.

Yorick: "Well done Jiao!"

Purusartha: {Kneels close to the Vulkyrie} "It still lives! What shall we do with it?"

Jiao: {Grunts} "Maybe rip its head off as a trophy?"

[Sauel & Rabi: Make Spot Checks]

rtcvb32
07-08-2014, 04:26 PM
With Jaio's success in the battle Sauel gave a little sigh of relief. One fewer thing to worry about. Jaio would have to forgive sauel for not applauding and congratulating Jaio at present; Although he would have liked to.

Still Yorick had mentioned seeing a Wererat, meaning there was still one loose end they might have to deal with... But seeing Jaio facing a Vul and not a Were brought up questions and curious concerns. Did the wererat already run away like Kasha and her group when a Vul arrived? That seemed likely, but they had arrived now nearly half a minute later after Xaio had run away. There were still enough trees to hide behind as well, potentially it could be an ambush, but with a single Vul in the area Sauel had doubts about that.

(Spots checks. Sauel: 15, Rabi: 9)

If Sauel didn't spot the wererat he would pause and closed his eyes trying to sense any were's nearby beyond the four he was aware of. He probably would fail but it was worth a shot.

(Detect/Survival: 30, -2 for blood ignored, -2 for near full moon ignored (they are both were's))

Hillsy
07-10-2014, 06:16 PM
"I don't trust that Gilbur fellow. He puts on a big show about avoiding the subject of the black network, but a frightened person doesn't pretend to snore... a frightened person would just lay there quietly."

"I agree with what you said Burrai. It's clear the network is up to something. Whatever it is may be in this journal..." {pats it on her side} "...which makes it all the more imperative that we translate it as soon as possible. I don't know who else has any answers unless we find an opportunity to talk to Rol without Gilbur around?"


Burrai sits on the ground, axe across his knees, and grunts.

"As long as we've got that....artifact with us, trust is at a premium. Maybe he was sleeping a little too soundly, maybe they were on the lookout for a pair of dwarves arriving in Cabarda in the night. Maybe it was just the orcish ale." He stares out at the night. Elloral's observations were sharp, but suspicion often has a way of twisting the facts to meet fears. He nods to himself. "Depending on how things go with Jabbar, perhaps I'll seek out Rol. Alone. It could just be fear on his part - Sylornath knows the Black Network stirring would put any honest merchant on edge - it could be more. But we'll find out little before dawn, shy of going back there and proving more terrifying than anything from Skull Mountain."

With that he falls silent. Someone once said, long ago, that most of soldiering is waiting, and experience hadn't show him any difference. With the dawn would come answers, through once source or another. But there were none here in the dark.

Narayan
07-11-2014, 01:55 PM
“Until next time then” He says as he watches Izel leave. Twelve hours, that is plenty of time, and now that he thinks about it, there should be plenty to do as well. It is time to make good use of twelve hours, set schedules can be exciting when they are not impossible. He says farewell to the barman as he leaves to do so, humming a merry tune about snakes and foxes nonchalantly.

(Gather Information check: 23)

After you exit The Worm in the Bottle you head home, casually looking over your shoulder for anyone watching and/or following you...

Ersun: (Spot Check, DC 23: = 17, Fail)

...but there seems to be no one tailing you.

Once you're home you greet your family and give them the news that you'll be out on a long ranging. Your older brother isn't there, and your little twin sisters aren't old enough to sense you may be lying. Your parents however may...

Ersun: (Bluff Check, Take 10: = 18).

Ersuns Father: (Sense Motive: = 14, Fail)
Ersuns Mother: (Sense Motive: = 22, Success)

Your father seems preoccupied and doesn't really pay much attention to you except to say be careful. Your mother however does press you for more details before you leave...

Ersun: (Bluff Check, DC 22: = 23, Success)

You manage to lie to her well enough to calm her down and make your way to your old friend-and-mentor Lysen's. Her home is rather nice by the standards of your tribe. She even pays for help because she is insufferably lazy. That, and the fact she lives alone doesn't sit well with much of the tribe. But her gifts as a duskblade make her somewhat famous and begrudgingly well respected.

Her home is a two story manor made of finely worked stone. It is one of the original duergar-built structures that are better made then those built by your tribe. Typically homes like hers that are among the best in the city are reserved for the Warmages or other important leaders. Lysen's former husband was a warmage, well-remembered for sacrificing his life in defense of the tribe. Lysen was allowed to remain in the manor in his honor.

As usual, you have to wait for a servant to open her front door. His name is Rahul, the eldest and most experienced of her help. You've known him for years, as long as Lysen herself. He's the only servant she's put up with for as long as you've known her. He's in his fifties with long silvery-white hair tied in a pony tail down half his back.

Rahul: (Spot Check, DC 23: = 16, Fail) "Oh, hello Ersun. Miss Lysen is training right now. Would you like to see her?"

Ersun: "Yes please."

Rahul nods and opens the door wider for you. Inside her manor it is well appointed, with collections of exotic rugs, art objects, weapons and magic items. You've examined most of them and listened to all the stories she told about each one. Lysen and her former husband, Morelo, were well traveled, taking any opportunity to visit other tribes and other cultures. She speaks of him fondly, but rarely.

Behind her Manor, within an exterior wall, is a garden and a training arena Lysen uses to keep fit and perfect her craft. Indeed it never ceases to amaze you how well she moves despite her age. You watch her now, whirling and cutting at several dummies standing around the perimeter, some of which occasionally burst into flame or get blasted by a surge of electricity as her enchanted sword deals extra damage.

Duskblades are among the most appreciated warriors in Underfolk society, even more then some champions of the warrior caste. Their talent for mixing magic and melee combat make them capable adversaries against the dark elves who wield magic so well it might as well be in their blood (and many say it is). Duskblades as a whole are too rare to serve in the same capacity as the warrior-caste so they are usually lone mercenaries, like Lysen was before she was married.

You smile watching her decapitate one of the dummies, a difficult feat for you even though you must've swung at them several thousand times. Lsyen of course has probably swung at them ten times more, which is why she often says there's no substitute for experience. You remember this arena fondly and you'll always appreciate Lsyen as a teacher and a mentor. Her training gave you strength and confidence after Shala's death so you could stand tall and conquer your fears.

Lsyen: {Ceases her exercise noticing you at last.} "Ersun! Come to challenge me at last have you?" {grins}

Ersun: {Shakes his head} "Of course not Lysen, I wouldn't stand a chance."

Lsysen: {Chuckles} "You tried before though. I imagine at some point you will again. I didn't train you so you'd learn to give up so easily!"

Ersun: "Fair enough. But if it's all the same to you I'd like to leave in as good of condition as I walked in."

Lysen: "Nevermind then that's no fun!" {Grabs a towel from another servant and wipes at her forehead dabbing away the sweat.} "Rahul! Don't just stand there, bring us refreshments!" She says chidingly to the elderly servant who nods and moves away.

Lysen gestures to a seating area within her garden where you both can relax. She tosses the towel she carried back at the servant she grabbed it from while a third starts to fan her after she takes a seat.

Ersun: "If it's alright with you Lysen I'd like to talk to you about something important... in private."

Lysen: "You mean you want me to send away my servant here? Then who will fan me Ersun, you?" {laugh's}

Ersun: "Please just humor me this one time."

Lysen: "Very well... begone servants!" She says with a flourish. The servants obey.

Ersun: (Bluff Check: = 23) "I wanted to tell you that I'm leaving on a ranging. Not sure how long I will be gone, but it promises adventure and generous compensation. I wanted to let you know so you wouldn't wonder why I'll miss my lessons."

Lysen: (Sense Motive Check: = 19, Fail) "I see, well you'll be fine. I trained you well."

Ersun: "You've often said there's no substitute for experience."

Lsyen: {Nods} "Quite right. But be careful what you wish for. You told your mother of course?"

Ersun: "Yes, this time I did."

Lysen: "Good, I don't want her hammering on my door again looking for you."

Ersun: "She's always worried too much."

Lsyen: {Smirks} "Mothers don't stop worrying about their sons after they're grown."

Rahul returns with a platter of fruit and cheese and two pitchers. One of water, one of wine. Lysen waits for him to pour you both a glass and then she dismisses him.

Lysen: "What's on your mind Ersun? I know you well enough to see you have more on your mind then just dropping by."

Ersun: "If you don't mind Lysen I wanted to talk to you about your late husband."

Lsyen: {Frowns} "I do mind actually... it's not something I like to speak about. It crosses the line of our teacher/student relationship."

Ersun: "Don't you think of me more as a friend?"

Lysen: "I do care for you Ersun, but friends are usually closer in age then we are and have more in common. More than being duskblade's at least."

Ersun: "I think we do have more in common. We both lost someone."

Lysen: "I lost my husband Ersun. I'm not trying to belittle your loss, but it's not the same thing."

Ersun: {Takes a deep breath} "I've had a fear of Mind Flayers, otherwise known as Illithids, ever since that day. Because of that, I've kept my eyes and ears open. I heard rumors about Illithid mind-slaves in our midst. Your husband was a Warmage, I was wondering if he ever spoke of that?"

Lysen: {Frowns} "Ersun... I know you might feel like you need to investigate these rumors. Because of what happened to you and because you don't want it to happen again to anyone else... but you need to be careful."

Ersun: "I am trying to be careful, that's why I'm asking you for information. I trust you. Would you rather I go asking these questions somewhere else? Because if you refuse to answer them I will."

Lysen: "Damnit Ersun... when did you decide you wanted to get yourself into so much trouble?"

Ersun: "I'm not trying to be a hero Lysen. I just want to get even. Wouldn't you do anything to avenge your husband if you watched him die?"

Lysen: {Takes a deep drink of her wine looking very unhappy} "My husband Morelo was on the council. He was in charge of foreign investigations..."

[Ersun: What do you do?]




Narayan
07-11-2014, 02:36 PM
With Jaio's success in the battle Sauel gave a little sigh of relief. One fewer thing to worry about. Jaio would have to forgive sauel for not applauding and congratulating Jaio at present; Although he would have liked to.

Still Yorick had mentioned seeing a Wererat, meaning there was still one loose end they might have to deal with... But seeing Jaio facing a Vul and not a Were brought up questions and curious concerns. Did the wererat already run away like Kasha and her group when a Vul arrived? That seemed likely, but they had arrived now nearly half a minute later after Xaio had run away. There were still enough trees to hide behind as well, potentially it could be an ambush, but with a single Vul in the area Sauel had doubts about that.

(Spots checks. Sauel: 15, Rabi: 9)

If Sauel didn't spot the wererat he would pause and closed his eyes trying to sense any were's nearby beyond the four he was aware of. He probably would fail but it was worth a shot.

(Detect/Survival: 30, -2 for blood ignored, -2 for near full moon ignored (they are both were's))

You sense the presence of another were nearby and spot it approaching. It looks to be a wererat in hybrid-form. Probably the same one Yorick said he spotted earlier. It's moving towards you at a quick jog from the direction of the tannery.

It isn't moving in an aggressive fashion, to the contrary it carries no weapons and keeps its hands open and in the air where you can see them. The rest of you spot it too as it moves into the nearby clearing where the other bodies are impaled by the Vulkyrie's javelins.

Wererat: "Nooo! I failed to protect you!" It grunts and hisses from its rat-like snout, speaking to the bodies of the fallen as it kneels beside them. They appear to be three young Akhenaten juveniles, none older then fifteen years old.

Jiao: {Stares at the wererat} "Should I kill that one as well?" He asks eagerly balling his fists up again.

Purusartha: {Frowns} "No I don't think that one is a threat to us Jiao. In fact we might want to question him? In the meantime Jiao, since you are easily the biggest and strongest, could you carry this Vulkyrie for us? We are going to take it captive and give the Vulkyrie a taste of their own methods for a change!"

Jiao: {Snorts} "But there are more out there! I want to keep fighting!"

Purusartha: {Stares up at the large werebull with a look that broaches no argument} "We are DONE fighting for now Jiao. Rest assured you will have other opportunities to kill Vulkyrie, but we will attack them when it suites us, not when it suites them! The city-wide alarm has been raised, there are too many Vulkyrie looking for a fight right now, even for you!"

Jiao huff's but goes along with Puru's request and lifts the fallen Vulkyrie in his arms as easily as a hound might carry a fallen pheasant in its mouth.

Purusartha: -Speaks to Yorick- "Yorick, collect all the Vulkyrie's weapons. We can't afford to leave any evidence it was here!" -Speaks to Sauel in a lower voice- "Stay by my side Sauel and help me speak with this Wererat. If it won't come with us we'll have to chase it off or kill it. We can't afford to leave any witnesses to what's happened here."

[Sauel: What do you do?]

rtcvb32
07-11-2014, 10:37 PM
Sauel could only wonder if Jaio and his love of battle would enjoy an arena life much like Yorick had suffered before recently being set free. Of course many times, freedom was an illusion.

Sauel nods to Purusartha, and takes note of the young three teenagers. The Were-rat's attitude and coming to the area as well as staying in the area while the Vul was nearby made Sauel wonder. In the pack you had to obey those higher ranking than you, and most members weren't warriors although they had strength enough to kill a cow by punching it.

Were they just moving from one end of the town to another? Seemed doubtful otherwise they'd do it during the day unless they were attacked. Smuggling? "Agreed, but I have a feeling we won't need to kill him..."

Sauel moves closer and checks the youths, checking to see if they are still alive, and if so any that need immediate attention he uses his healing Kit to bind their wounds so they won't bleed to death; While checking on them he tries to determine if they are infected, natural born, or just non-weres.

"What happened? And who are these kids?" Sauel asks the were trying not to make it sound like an interrogation. With Purusartha removing the Vul and any trace of him the kids too would likely have to move.

p3sent
07-12-2014, 07:42 AM
He also takes a sip from the wine. It is a day of free drinks it seems, makes it feel like he is being toasted off onto his journey.

„I’m sorry for forcing this Lysen. It could be indeed important, and I do trust you, which I think is mutual. I would be grateful for the details you’re willing to share.” He says and sits down somewhere plausible, as it is an easier conversation to do while sitting, and waits for her to continue.

He wonders how much of a coincidence that her husband used to have Izel’s job. It shouldn’t hurt to dig into the circumstances of Morelo’s death either... He has a hunch there is more about the man than simple paranoia. It’s a shame he didn’t know anything of her husband before. Now he has to bring it up out of necessity and in such forced fashion.

As much as he would like to know it all, he will have to be patient and mature, he really doesn’t want to ruin his relationship with Lysen, so he would rather talk it out than try to push her too much.

Narayan
07-12-2014, 05:26 PM
Burrai sits on the ground, axe across his knees, and grunts.

"As long as we've got that....artifact with us, trust is at a premium. Maybe he was sleeping a little too soundly, maybe they were on the lookout for a pair of dwarves arriving in Cabarda in the night. Maybe it was just the orcish ale." He stares out at the night. Elloral's observations were sharp, but suspicion often has a way of twisting the facts to meet fears. He nods to himself. "Depending on how things go with Jabbar, perhaps I'll seek out Rol. Alone. It could just be fear on his part - Sylornath knows the Black Network stirring would put any honest merchant on edge - it could be more. But we'll find out little before dawn, shy of going back there and proving more terrifying than anything from Skull Mountain."

With that he falls silent. Someone once said, long ago, that most of soldiering is waiting, and experience hadn't show him any difference. With the dawn would come answers, through once source or another. But there were none here in the dark.

The remaining hours of the night pass without incident though they bring you little rest. When dawns early glow emerges in the distance the crowd stirs like a kicked anthill. All the merchants' help busy themselves packing their respective camps. The pair of you have an easier time readying yourselves to enter the gates and thus find yourselves near the front of the line.

Several guards take position over the gates holding crossbows joined by a pair of winged Vulkyrie before the gates finally open a crack with a great groan. A troop of a dozen mounted sheriff's rangers emerge before the gates quickly shut again with a loud boom. They break into a trot and start circling your crowd.

After a few minutes of observation the rangers seem satisfied you're not actually an orcish war party and break formation, splitting up to search the crowd individually. You observe the sheriff's rangers up close and they seem quite experienced and professional. They are stern but polite, well trained to spot smugglers and criminals while also treating the legitimate merchants with respect.

The rangers are efficient at their work. Several men are arrested before dawn breaks. Afterwards the rangers captain signals the gates to be opened for trade and the crowd starts to murmur and move forward kicking up a cloud of dust. The Sheriff's rangers enter the gates first moving to deliver their captured prisoners and confiscated goods to the town jail.

Just then a boy appears and tugs on Ellorals robes. He hands her a scrap of parchment before bolting into the crowd again. Elloral reads the note and says.

Elloral: "Rol sends us a message. He'll meet us at noon at the Twelve Apple Alehouse."

As the gates swing open completely the crowd is funneled into a walled corridor with a matching set of gates at the other side. The inner gates remain closed for now, ensuring the crowd cannot completely breach the towns fortifications with a rush attack after the outer gates have opened. They let in about half of the crowd (which includes you and Elloral) before they shut the outer gates behind you. All the while of course, at least a dozen crossbows are trained on you from above on all sides... while the Vulkyrie stare down at you like hungry raptors.

Once the outer gates are shut they open the inner gates. The usual guards are waiting to collect a fee for the privilege of doing business here. Merchants have to pay a lot more then mere travelers so the fee's at least appear to be fairly tiered. Both you and Elloral have to drop a pair of coppers into a bucket as you pass through the gates.

You and the rest of the crowd emerge then into the west market of Cabarda (https://sion.obsidianportal.com/wikis/cabarda). Before you the tallest structure in the town appears to be the Vulkyrie Tower, erected just behind the massive arena. The tower is approximately sixty feet high, though rumors say it is only home to approximately two dozen Vulkyrie.

[What do you do?]

Narayan
07-12-2014, 08:33 PM
Sauel moves closer and checks the youths, checking to see if they are still alive, and if so any that need immediate attention he uses his healing Kit to bind their wounds so they won't bleed to death; While checking on them he tries to determine if they are infected, natural born, or just non-weres.


"What happened? And who are these kids?" Sauel asks the were trying not to make it sound like an interrogation. With Purusartha removing the Vul and any trace of him the kids too would likely have to move.

All the youth's are dead, pierced through completely by the Vulkyrie's other three javelins. Each of them are well dressed, even to the point of wearing jewelry.

The wererat is also wearing rather expensive traditional Akhenaten silks, still largely intact despite its shift into hybrid form. On its belt is a curved dagger which looks largely decorative.

Wererat: {Moans, saddened almost to the point of tears} -speaking gutteraly in hybrid form- "I was trying to get them to safety after the Vulkyrie's horns started blaring. They're my students... I'm a tutor, a private teacher. Their parents have no idea about ....this" {gestures to his hideous claws and furry muzzle}

"The Vulkyrie hate were's I know this. I didn't intend to shift into this form but when I saw that Vulkyrie watching us my fear triggered it this close to the full moon."

"The kids started screaming... I tried to reassure them I wouldn't hurt them and get them into hiding but it was too late. That winged monster killed them all without blinking an eye... and then he just perched up in that tree and waited for me to show myself again. It was hunting me... the same way you would lure an animal out of hiding if you hurt its cubs."

{Looks up at Sauel and Purusartha pleadingly.} "Please I don't know what to do?! I'm not safe looking like this... I have nowhere to go."

[Sauel: What do you do?]

Narayan
07-12-2014, 09:35 PM
He also takes a sip from the wine. It is a day of free drinks it seems, makes it feel like he is being toasted off onto his journey.

„I’m sorry for forcing this Lysen. It could be indeed important, and I do trust you, which I think is mutual. I would be grateful for the details you’re willing to share.” He says and sits down somewhere plausible, as it is an easier conversation to do while sitting, and waits for her to continue.

He wonders how much of a coincidence that her husband used to have Izel’s job. It shouldn’t hurt to dig into the circumstances of Morelo’s death either... He has a hunch there is more about the man than simple paranoia. It’s a shame he didn’t know anything of her husband before. Now he has to bring it up out of necessity and in such forced fashion.

As much as he would like to know it all, he will have to be patient and mature, he really doesn’t want to ruin his relationship with Lysen, so he would rather talk it out than try to push her too much.

Lysen: "What's important is that you understand it's that same sort of paranoid curiosity that got my husband killed!" {sighs} "My husband was a good man, he wasn't afraid to put himself at risk for the sake of the tribe. The last time I saw him..." {her voice quavers} "...he was off to observe a trade meeting between our tribe and the Uskali tribe on neutral ground."

"You think we're the only tribe to worry about Illithids? You think we're the worst off? Not at all! Other tribes have far worse encounters then we do... and some of those other tribes are also highly infiltrated..." {she pauses to let that knowledge sink in}

"My husband suspected as much of the Uskali tribe. He wanted to go along as an observer on that trade meeting to help keep our merchants safe. I curse myself for not going with him but he said it was too dangerous. Of course I insisted but I had no control over his affairs. I pleaded with his friend and most trusted aide, Izel, to watch his back instead. He didn't for whatever reason, and now Izel is the Warmage Councillor for foreign investigations!" She says bitterly.

"It's a dark world out there Ersun. Sometimes merely having suspicions is enough to get you killed. I don't know who to blame exactly for Morelo's death. The trade meeting was ambushed with serious losses for both tribes. Those that survived spoke of Morelo's heroism and selfless sacrifice to the very end..." {voice chokes up}

"What bother's me the most is that I'll never understand why he did it? Why did he go when his gut warned him it was a trap? He never explained much to me, I think he wanted to spare me the worry. The only person he confided much in was Izel, but of course he's avoided me ever since Morelo's death. He knows how much I despise him!"

[Ersun: What do you do?]

rtcvb32
07-13-2014, 12:16 AM
(Sense Motive: 19)

Sauel could only feel a hurt and pity for the wererat. If his story was true, then his life was over. What family would accept a teacher who ran from their children to remain unharmed (or that's how it would seem) or if they learned of him being a were, he could be turned in at any time to the authorities, the Vul, or both. Quite often those inflicted were the result of a survived attack, or were born with it. Likely this wererat had long since learned to keep his consciousness while shifted, but that didn't make it any less difficult to control especially so close to the full moon.

For now the disappearance of the four of them would leave quite a few unsettled but have less of an impact from the night's activities than if they were disclosed. Perhaps if there was someone who could raise the dead could undo their deaths, but that seemed iffy at best. A platoon of troops killed by a single breath attack, from the dragon who beheaded Asher just earlier that night. It was becoming even more obvious he couldn't save very many people currently from the Vul.

A problem coming to mind was scrying, quite in the forefront of his mind since they had the sorceress visitor. A rich enough family who's children (and teacher) suddenly went missing might try to find them via magic, and although they had temporary countermeasures via scrolls that wouldn't last long. The wererat likely could survive a lesser death and his body (affected by the curse) would just start up again. But it wasn't an option he wanted to take right at the start.

Sauel looked to Purusartha. "He could come back with us for the night til he's human again... but I don't think more than that would be wise. Rich families might start scrying for him and their lost children. I don't think I can take another adventure until I've gotten a few hours of sleep, so risk leading him to an exit is iffy at best. We could blindfold him I don't think that would do much based on where we're going..." There couldn't be more than, what, four tanneries in the city?

Bags of holding were very good at moving bodies it seemed... As it was about to have another three temporary residents once they got back to the tannery.

Narayan
07-13-2014, 07:59 PM
(Sense Motive: 19)

Purusartha: (Sense Motive Check: = 20)

Neither of you sense any deception from the Wererat.


-Sauel speaks to Purusartha- "He could come back with us for the night til he's human again... but I don't think more than that would be wise. Rich families might start scrying for him and their lost children. I don't think I can take another adventure until I've gotten a few hours of sleep, so risk leading him to an exit is iffy at best. We could blindfold him I don't think that would do much based on where we're going..."

Purusartha: {pulls Sauel to the side to share some words out of earshot of the Wererat} "We'll take him back with us. He might have useful information, but we should leave the bodies. Let their parents join the ranks of all the others outraged against the Vul."

{Moves back over to the Wererat's side} "We can shelter you, but you have to keep quiet and ask no questions. For your own good, understand?"

Wererat: {Nods}

Purusartha: {Rips a shred of cloth from his robes}(Bluff Check: = 18) "You'll have to wear a blindfold. No offense but we don't trust you yet."

Wererat: (Sense Motive: = 5) "Ok." {Takes the cloth and blindfolds himself}

Purusartha: {grabs a vial of something out of his robes, uncaps his waterskin and pours it in.} "What's your name?"

Wererat: "My name is Yousef."

Purusartha: "Yousef, we have a long walk ahead of us. We will keep you safe but you'll have to keep up. Here, have some water now to help keep your strength up." {places the waterskin in Yousef's hands.}

Yousef does his best to drink from the waterskin but seems clumsy and unpracticed trying to pour it into his snout. Much of it spills, but enough makes it down his throat to have the desired effect.

Yousef: (Fortitude Save vs. Poison, DC 20: = 9, Fail) "I am... ready... that water tastes... odd..." He says and promptly falls over, apparently unconscious. Moments later, his body reverts back to human form. He looks to be a weak, intellectual sort of man in his late twenties. Well groomed but very thin.

Purusartha: "I wasn't sure that'd work... wererats can usually detect poison very easily and resist it very well. We're lucky this one seems completely ignorant of such things..." {Looks to Sauel} "Carry him, he'll be unconscious for a few hours at least."

With the unconscious wererat and the vulkyrie in tow, Jiao and the three of you quickly move to the secret entrance to Wrusks cellar. Purusartha follows close behind sprinkling some sort of magic dust to hide your tracks. Especially the unnaturally large hoof-prints of the big werebull.

Purusartha: {winks} "My own recipe. I didn't say I didn't learn anything as Moakh's apprentice."

[Sauel: What do you do?]

rtcvb32
07-13-2014, 08:23 PM
Sauel watched and listened to Purusartha, it seemed to easy to convince and knock out the wererat it was almost laughable. In moments the wererat was unconscious, and lifting the thin male was nearly effortless. He followed the same path they came, reducing the amount of scent trails they would leave behind.

Leaving the children to be identified as victims of the vul, and them being so close to the tannery left Sauel a little uneasy. But there was death everywhere tonight, location didn't matter too much with a little careful management; And with Purusartha's assistance they effectively erased their own involvement in this short episode.

"You may have to show me a few of your recipes. Personally I wouldn't have thought of that; But I also don't have anything on me to use..."

Hopefully without incident they would return to the tannery, to the cellar, and finally find a corner to fall unconscious much like the man he carried now. The single day had seemed like (and dragged on) a month to him. Tonight the call of the moon and meeting the alpha and offering gifts as a visiting were was going to be a priority.

Daydreaming
07-15-2014, 01:15 AM
Sher' Reek: {Does as she is bid, removing your cloak and quickly covering herself in the Geisha wrappings you've been wearing, though they are also large and poorly fitting for her. Then she produces her bag of holding.}

Wrusk: {Frowns} "So Cael has fallen? What a shame." {Helps remove his body from Sher' Reek's bag of holding.} "I put Ivar's body in the shed of animal carcasses we use for furs. I know its not the most respectful way to store a body, but it's the best place to hide it from the Vulkyrie because it disguises the smell."

Arminas: {Steps over} "Wouldn't that magical dust you used earlier hide the smell?"

Wrusk: "I doubt it. The Vulkyrie have the strongest noses I've ever seen. The powder is only strong enough to mask a lingering scent, not an actual person or thing."

Arminas: "Burying the bodies isn't an option?"

Wrusk: {Snorts} "Perhaps, but my tannery isn't a graveyard! Besides, I'm sure these Half Dwarves have family who want their bodies returned to them..."

Arminas: {Nods} "Of course. Shall I help you carry Cael upstairs then?"

[Cred, Emiko: What do you do?]

{Emiko nods in thanks to Sher'Reek for complying. Emiko looks down at the ground sadly when Wrusk mentions Cael's death.} -Speaking Common- "Yes, I remember... Cael has a brother that works at the Sand Dragon Inn. I wish to return Cael's body to him, and give him an explanation and some coin for his troubles. Maybe I will get a chance to go and talk with him once we have rested and the city is not under such high security... Thank you for your help Arminas and Wrusk-San." She says in a somber tone.

Emiko slowly looks up over to Wrusk and then over to Arminas as they carry away Cael's body. Her gaze lingers on Arminas for a moment as she watches his muscles at work. She slowly and sadly looks back down to the ground again.

~Arminas is very kind... I'm sure his family misses him. I wonder if he has a wife and children in the place he comes from... What is wrong with me?! I shouldn't think about these people like this... I shouldn't fantasize... I would only hurt them all anyways if they got close to me... Even Ghost... But he is already dead right? I wonder how old he really is... Maybe he can teach me to control this... this burning!~

{Kitsune walks over to Emiko and looks up at her} -Speak with Familiar- "I think you will control it one day soon Emiko... In the meantime we should be happy we are alive and play! you left me alone for so long and all I could do was sleep! I want to play with you again! Ever since we've met these new people you ignore me!" Kit chitters and yips in a fox-like language.

-Speak with Familiar- "So much death and danger here... It reminds me of the village... I'm sorry Kit... My life can't always be playful. Sometimes I must fight... Sometimes I must mourn... And sometimes I must learn from those around me... Go and play with Achetii for now, I think she misses your happy spirit." Emiko speaks in a strange fox-like language to Kit.

Kitsune gives a bit of a huff to Emiko in annoyance, and walks over to play with Achetii instead.

Emiko puts her cloak back on and pulls up the hood to cover her face. She walks back to her cot and sits cross-legged on it once again, and makes sure to face the wall this time so no one can see how pitiful her expression looks. She goes back to writing in Katanese in her book. She starts a new page and draws a decently accurate picture of the 'Ghost in the Darkness' with her ink. Telling the story of his help in Palenrian's rescue, she starts to recall the feeling of Ghost touching her skin, and the feelings he stirred within her body. She begins to glow slightly. When she notices her body heating up out of control once again she grips her knees with her hands in frustration. Tears roll down from her blood red eyes once again.

~I need to find a way to control this soon or I am just going to get more people killed! I am useless in any fights above ground because of the light I give off... Sauel is right... I must find a way to control myself and maybe even hide the light from my flames... Oh Master Ayumu... I can't live like this much longer! These 'urges' inside me just keep getting worse...~

(Craft: Drawing: 1D20+1 => 11.)

voidoblivion
07-15-2014, 07:06 AM
After Emiko he walks over and uses some water to rinse the crud off of himself then heads for a cot. He just wants some rest and time to pray to Userwroth. Moving to the cot he first kneels down and begins a time of prayer and thanks in Draconian to Userwroth. "Userwroth oh great and powerful blessed amongst dragon kind. For my life that I have been granted, and another day to serve you I thank you. For my new associates, friends, and follower I am truly grateful. For all the things or power and blessing you have given us through your blessing I am truly honored you have granted me these things. Thank you for the chance to witness you power and to be given a chance to spill the blood of your Enemies. I am forever your servant." he finishes his prayer and then stands moving over to the cot and laying down to rest, for the days activities had taken its toll upon him.

p3sent
07-15-2014, 01:16 PM
He silently listened to her as she talked, with a nod or two inbetween.

“My guess would be he suspected something going on, and thought he can handle it? But then there was more then he could count for, betrayal, or stronger enemies that expected? Mere speculation…” He sighs.

“An ambush means planning, preparation, so information leak is likely. Can you tell me what exactly happened there and if there was any investigation about it?” Not directly connected to his current situation, but if he is going to wade into tribal intrigue then the more he has the better.

“And can you tell me who was present, who are the other survivors of the encounter?” These twelve hours begin to seem shorter and shorter every minute. At least the wine isn’t bad.

“I am aware of the dangers, but my own gut feeling tells me I need to get my head around all this.” And he will need something to ensure shady hands don’t depose him if they learn that he is sniffing around a step too much.

Narayan
07-15-2014, 03:32 PM
Experience Award Time (* = Normal xp adjusted for bloodlines, roleplaying xp is not penalized for bloodlines like normal xp)

Main Group______________________________________

PC's

Crdechzkragar - 150 xp + 50 bonus roleplaying xp
Emiko - 150 xp + 150 bonus roleplaying xp
Sauel - *180 xp + 200 bonus roleplaying xp
Xiaolong - 300 xp + 200 bonus roleplaying xp +1 Build Point

NPC's
Arminas - 150 xp
Jiao Zhang - 500 xp
Palenrian - 150 xp
Purusartha - 250 xp
Sher' Reek - 100 xp
Wrusk - 100 xp
Yorick - *90 xp
Yousef - 100 xp

__________________________________________________ __

Other Group_________________________________________

PC's
Burrai - 250 xp + 250 bonus roleplaying xp

NPC's
Elloral - 200 xp
Zhānrén - 200 xp
__________________________________________________ __

Narayan
07-15-2014, 06:09 PM
After Arminas and Wrusk move upstairs carrying-off Cael's body, Achetti starts to play with Kitsune. The Keu's joyful warbles and the fox's chittering barks soon echo through the cellar... before they are interrupted by an abrupt knocking on the cellar's exterior door.

Achetti: {Chirps} "It must be the others!" {Moves over to the cellar door unlocking the heavy steel bolt}

The door opens revealing a very beleaguered Purusartha.

Purusartha: {Grins with obvious fatigue at Achetti} "Hello Achetti, so nice to see you! Don't be alarmed, we have some prisoners with us..." He says stepping inside and gently pulling Achetti to the side.

Yorick steps in after carrying three javelins and a halberd. Sauel moves in next carrying the unconscious Akhenaten man who is also an afflicted wererat, followed by the large werebull Jiao Zhang carrying the unconscious Vulkyrie guard. Jiao has a bull of a time squeezing his bulk down the steep stairwell and through the cellar door.

Achetti: {Gasps at the sight of the werebull} "What is that monster?!" She asks hiding behind Purusartha.

Purusartha: {Chuckles} "This is Jiao Zhang, he's a werebull and another one of our new allies."

The cellars floorboards groan loudly under Jiao's great weight as he squeezes himself through the threshold. Jiao glances up to see that the ceiling is tall enough to accommodate his full height before he unceremoniously drops the wounded Vulkyrie and stretches.

Palenrian: "Tanus protect us, that's a Vulkyrie!" He says in shock watching the big werebull drop the wounded monster to the floor.

Purusartha: {Looks to Palenrian and Grins} "Don't worry it's nearly dead. We got lucky and captured it!" -Speaks to Achetti- "Don't be afraid Achetti." Purusartha says stepping away quickly from the Keu to re-conceal the stairwell and reset its trap.

Achetti's eyes grow very large as she stands before the mighty Jiao, too paralyzed with fright to even breathe. After cracking his thick neck Jiao looks down at her with amused curiosity and snorts loudly. Achetti makes a loud "EEEK!" sound and dashes over to Emiko's cot. Kitsune the fox follows quick at her heels and jumps up unto Emiko's lap.

Moments later Purusartha steps back through the cellar door, locking it securely behind him.

Purusartha: -speaks to Jiao- "Many thanks. Sorry things are so cramped down here but this is where we need to hide for now. Perhaps you would be more comfortable letting Xiaolong do all the waiting?"

Jiao: {Grunts} "Yes." (Shifts his form back into Xiaolong.)

[Everyone: What do you do?]

Narayan
07-15-2014, 06:39 PM
He silently listened to her as she talked, with a nod or two in between.

“My guess would be he suspected something going on, and thought he can handle it? But then there was more then he could count for, betrayal, or stronger enemies that expected? Mere speculation…” He sighs.

“An ambush means planning, preparation, so information leak is likely. Can you tell me what exactly happened there and if there was any investigation about it?” Not directly connected to his current situation, but if he is going to wade into tribal intrigue then the more he has the better.

“And can you tell me who was present, who are the other survivors of the encounter?” These twelve hours begin to seem shorter and shorter every minute. At least the wine isn’t bad.

“I am aware of the dangers, but my own gut feeling tells me I need to get my head around all this.” And he will need something to ensure shady hands don’t depose him if they learn that he is sniffing around a step too much.

Lysen: "I wasn't there so I couldn't tell you exactly what happened, and given that it occurred several years ago I wouldn't know where to look for the survivors now?" {Pauses to drain her cup and refills it.}

"Yes of course the council investigated, but their findings aren't public knowledge. I was simply told that my husband was a hero and allowed to remain in this manor because that was one way they could honor him for his sacrifice." {Drinks deeply again}

"Now you need to tell me why you're asking me about this Ersun? Have you seen something? Are you in trouble?" She asks watching your reaction carefully. (Sense Motive: = 18)

[Ersun: What do you do? Make a Bluff check if your answer is in any way a lie.]

Hillsy
07-15-2014, 06:42 PM
"Rol sends us a message. He'll meet us at noon at the Twelve Apple Alehouse."

You and the rest of the crowd emerge then into the west market of Cabarda (https://sion.obsidianportal.com/wikis/cabarda). Before you the tallest structure in the town appears to be the Vulkyrie Tower, erected just behind the massive arena. The tower is approximately sixty feet high, though rumors say it is only home to approximately two dozen Vulkyrie.


The crowd surge through the town's fortified entrance, then like a river meeting a lake, the flow abates and Burrai allows it to gentle sweep them into the heart of the open square. Looking up the western front of the tower is painted black with shadow, edged with the fire of the dawn behind. The town hall huddles beneath, dwarfed. Though it's Cabarda's administrative centre, the keeper and dispenser of the law, all the power clearly lies in the monolithic structure behind it. Farrik nothing but a puppet on Vulkyrie strings. He almost fancied, in full daylight, he'd see puppeteers leaning over the balcony high above, wings folded like great leather cloaks, holding great wooden controls that made the town's politician's dance and jump. An unpleasant thought.

The crowd dispersed, currents of bodies seeking their own channels away from the market. Burrai takes Elloral's arm, keeping the journal squeezed between them, and begins to veer left, around the norther side of the tower.

"I know the Twelve Apple." He keeps his voice low, speaking in bursts between the swirling cacophony of a morning market crowd. "I still don't trust Rol, nor that the note was even from Rol at all, but I suppose it's one more thing to check off my list. We'll walk the town's north road. It'll take us past the twelve apples. If the meeting is a trap, I want to scout escape routes. Perhaps we might see lookouts who're still there at noon. A small detour is worth the information. At the end of the North Road is the East Market. If I remember correctly, Putyuk's Rooms sits in the shad of the south wall. We'll snatch a meal and a bed there."

The morning crowd's were broken into two types: Industrious farmers, local merchants, and tradesmen who bustled fresh from bed to begin the days labor, or bringing wares to pack onto the rickety wooden stalls; the other merchants, travelers or mercenaries who'd camped outside the gates and meandered bleary eyed towards a bed. Burrai felt like he belonged to both. Tired and sore from the night's flight and the hard ground, but alert. For too long he'd sat in his home, poring over tomes by night and living his quiet hermit's life by day. He'd been waiting for the next opportunity to fall into his lap, or hoping a clear sign would spring from some history book - a chance again to sink into the turbulent waters of the world and find an island where his deeds could be seen for miles so that history would mark them. A beacon in an eternal, forgettable sea. Now, tipped unprepared into those waters, he began to swim. Mystery and danger were a siren song and his mind was awakening to the adventure floating on the melody.

Away from the market the crowds thinned. The residents here empty chamber pots, shovel ashes, arrange laundry tubs and beating ropes - the myriad tasks any housewife undertakes in the dawn's wan, red light. Burrai and Elloral stroll by in silence, glancing into alleys and dark, open doors of empty homes. The Twelve Apple was larger than the houses, but smaller than any inn. Burrai leads them on two, lazy circuits, noting the roads and rooftops that might provide escape, trying to store details of anyone he saw.

(Burrai Spot Check: 17)

Satisfied he'd noticed anything suspicious later he leads them through the bustle of the East Market, along the South wall and into the common Room of Putyuk's. The rich, thick aroma of bacon, eggs, bread and fried vegetables hangs in the air like a fog. A few people are up, devouring breakfast with a will and a cup of cider. Judging by their clothes likely merchants and travelers looking to leave before the sun rose in earnest. Burrai headed to the bar and waved the innkeeper over.

"Breakfast. Whatever's ready. Then I want a room - two beds - until noon, with a waking call an hour before. A minute later, or you try and charge full board instead of half, you won't be seeing much of this." He drops a small coin pouch on the counter. When the innkeeper reaches out a hand, Burrai covers his coin with one great gnarled fist. "I'm fair and generous....when I'm pleased. Thank you my good man."

With that he turns and leads Elloral to a table to one side. "I'm not doing anything more without sleep." He says, sitting down. "We should be safe here - the neighborhood is decent. Once we meet with Rol and hear him out, I'll visit Drehd's Devil's, one of the local mercenary companies. If anyone will sell me information on where to find Jabbar, it'll be them." His stomach rumbles in earnest, and he thinks about his stew back at his home. Cold and uneaten. Assuming they hadn't burned his home to ashes out of spite. Along with his books.

He slips into a brooding silence, thinking about the mystery he needs to crack open. At the moment, it looked hard to crack - but Burrai Steelborn had a heavy axe, strong shoulders, and wouldn't stop until everything inside had burst out.

rtcvb32
07-15-2014, 07:37 PM
Sauel puts his carried load down, although considerably gentler than Jaio did with the Vul, taking the time so it looks like he's just leaning against the wall and so his weight balances enough that sitting there looks natural.

With Jaio once again turned to Xiaolong, and everything pretty much settled he couldn't help but want to check up on Achetti, her innocence and beautiful colors a sight for sore eyes compared to everything else they've been tonight.

But a nearby cot beckoned him. He needed rest, and unless he could muster more adrenaline for a last minute heroic effort of some kind he'd just as well get some sleep. "Unless you need me, I think I'm going to crash for a while..." Glancing at the Vul he was probably still quite dangerous if he woke up. "Probably tie him up really good, beyond that....". The thought of killing the Vul came to mind, but the scent of fresh blood might awaken something he couldn't control while he was so tired, and there were no less than five weres in the room.

On second thought tying him up seemed like a higher priority for the moment, and retrieving his fifty feet of rope. But before he could begin doing any tying Purusartha interrupts him and gestures to the barrels of shackles by the forge.

Spending a few minutes looking in the barrels he manages to find five sets that are good enough that would do a little better than raw rope, at least for dealing with the Vul, a normal person the rope would have worked fine...

Sauel attaches the shackles to the Vul, effectively locking his mobility. The style of shackles are made in bulk for slaves and don't require a key and can be opened by anyone not wearing them. With hands and feet secured, Sauel still ties his rope around the Vul Trapping his wings down using a timber hitch and two half hitches to keep them contained and out of the way; Finally he uses a versatile jug knot to tie his beak down and closed, acting much like a harness as the other half is tied behind the Vul's head. (DC break manacles 28, Escape Artist DC 35, breaking the rope DC of 24)

Shun001
07-15-2014, 11:44 PM
It was a violent transformation as the cracking of bones and the recession of fur filled the space that was once Jiao. Trading wounds for wounds his arms looked barely attached and seemingly dyed red with copious amounts of blood. Xiaolong in exhaustion after the transformation hits the solid floor hard with his face falling limp in the rags of what used to be his cloths.

Xiaolong grunts in pain unable to distinguish what he sustained from the battle and the soreness of his face slamming the floor. In a frail effort to right himself he rolls over and slowly open his small recessed eyes. His vision comes to him ever so slowly as blurs start to form cohesive shapes and the flickering of the local lighting start to shed detail to a ceiling he has never seen before.

Xiaolong begins mumbling in Caishian horsely "Oh Kietsvara... where have I found myself now."

Xiaolong tries to collect his thoughts about the last events he remembered, he wanted to put his hands on his head but his arms just plain refused to move.

"Yes, that is what happened..." he mumbles again in Caishian

He sits there blankly staring up almost accepting a peaceful death like fate, not attempting to find out where he was and who was around him.

p3sent
07-16-2014, 04:16 AM
He sips from the cup and lets his thoughts wander a bit before answering Lysen. There is another simple explanation for the subterfuge and Izel’s behavior, which is if Morelo was the mind flayer spy. That is a scary thought, but would explain a lot actually, both Izel’s paranoia and distance, and why they let Lysen know so little. Yet he still has no proof for anything, and theories only get more and more.

“I haven’t seen anything, and not in trouble so far. To explain my curiosity would need more time than what I have at hand right now. The short version is I want to ensure I get into as little trouble as I’d like. I will tell you about it in its due time, don’t worry.” He says with a smirk at the end.

“I’m sorry for having to bring you up such memories, but thank you for indulging me. Take care until next time, will you. And if there is anything else I can help with…” He says and gives her a reassuring grip on her arm.

He just received one more thing onto his list to gather information about, the survivors of the ambush. He should start working on that list already instead of adding more and more to it.

voidoblivion
07-16-2014, 03:34 PM
He sits up from were he had chosen to lay down to rest and looks at the prisons and wounded arrive, standing with a prayer to Userrwroth he heads over to the others.

" Does any one need healing and care?"

Narayan
07-16-2014, 06:27 PM
Surveillance of the Twelve Apple Alehouse________________________________


"I know the Twelve Apple." He keeps his voice low, speaking in bursts between the swirling cacophony of a morning market crowd. "I still don't trust Rol, nor that the note was even from Rol at all, but I suppose it's one more thing to check off my list. We'll walk the town's north road. It'll take us past the twelve apples. If the meeting is a trap, I want to scout escape routes. Perhaps we might see lookouts who're still there at noon. A small detour is worth the information."

Burrai and Elloral stroll by in silence, glancing into alleys and dark, open doors of empty homes. The Twelve Apple was larger than the houses, but smaller than any inn. Burrai leads them on two, lazy circuits, noting the roads and rooftops that might provide escape, trying to store details of anyone he saw.

(Burrai Spot Check: 17)Elloral: (Spot Check: = 17)

Most of the buildings in Cabarda are primarily made of stone and mortar, bricks, or adobe. Their rooftops are typically clay tiles, but a few of the poorest shacks have thatch-roofs and some of the fanciest buildings use large sheets of bronze or copper.

The Twelve Apple Alehouse is made of bricks and adobe with a tile roof. It has four chimneys, two for the brewery, one for the kitchen and one for the common room. There are large shuttered windows onto the street that are usually kept open in warm weather. This early in the morning you see maids sweeping floors and scrubbing tables as they are not yet open for business.

Your spot check reveals that there are three exits to the Alehouse. The main door in front, the brewery out back opening into the apple orchard, and a side door used by the staff. You also determine the nature of the adjoining buildings. One of them is a small stable that houses and breeds fine horses named Sultans Stallions. The other one is the home of a ranger-sheriff named Faris. The locals say Faris is a good man and a fine father to his four children.

You know the Alehouse is frequented by good-natured, honest folk, a place for families who worry about unsavory characters. It is owned and operated by a middle-aged, halfbreed Mgorongoron/Athenean man named Argos who's large and imposing enough to keep the wrong sorts out of his establishment. Rumor has it Argos was a soldier of some kind, but so little is known about his homeland that much of his past remains a mystery.

What is known about Argos is that he's passionate about growing fruits and fine drink. He's lived in Cabarda for over a decade. First he bought the farm behind the building that is now the Alehouse, planting it with apple trees (the seeds for which he brought all the way from Parcea). After a few years of harvesting his delicious crop he bought the building that became the alehouse and prospered ever since.

Argos has had several incidents with rough customers, but the neighborhood has always supported him. Many of his customers are influential figures who wouldn't want him bullied out of business. As such Argos' Alehouse is known to be 'protected'. Having met him once or twice you had a good impression of Argos. He's a quiet sort who enjoys serving drinks and watching his patrons enjoy the fruits of his labor. You've never heard of Argos looking for trouble or having bad habits.

Thus, you'd find it hard to believe Argos would have anything to do with setting up an ambush for you or Elloral near his establishment, or anywhere else for that matter. He just wants to go about his work in peace and run a respectable establishment.

At Putyuk's Rooms __________________________________________________ __


Satisfied he'd noticed anything suspicious later he leads them through the bustle of the East Market, along the South wall and into the common Room of Putyak's. The rich, thick aroma of bacon, eggs, bread and fried vegetables hangs in the air like a fog. A few people are up, devouring breakfast with a will and a cup of cider. Judging by their clothes likely merchants and travelers looking to leave before the sun rose in earnest. Burrai headed to the bar and waved the innkeeper over.

The innkeeper, Putyuk, is a squat, chinless, round-faced Okian of poor breeding. His eyes are small, black and expressionless as his perpetually scowling mouth. Putyuk's long hair hangs low down his back and over his shoulders. He wears a stained apron and carries a pair of strange knives tucked through his belt.


"Breakfast. Whatever's ready. Then I want a room - two beds - until noon, with a waking call an hour before. A minute later, or you try and charge full board instead of half, you won't be seeing much of this." He drops a small coin pouch on the counter. When the innkeeper reaches out a hand, Burrai covers his coin with one great gnarled fist. "I'm fair and generous....when I'm pleased. Thank you my good man."

Putyuk: -Speaks rough common with a thick foreign accent- "I charge full day now, give you half back if you go by noon!" He repeats back at you irritably. "Room is one silver, bath and breakfast extra!"

Elloral: -asks in a friendlier voice- "How much extra?"

Putyuk: {turns to Elloral, obviously preferring her tone over the armored dwarf with an attitude.} "One silver extra!"

Elloral: "That's fine..." She says plucking three silver out of her coin purse before leaning closer to Putyuk. -speaking in lower voice- "Here's an extra silver, incentive to wake us on time and keep our presence here a secret. You understand?"

Putyuk: {Nods twice, holding out his hand.} -Whispers- "Putyuk understand secret."

Elloral: {Drops the coin into his palm with a smile.} "Thank you."

Putyuk: {Places your room key on the bar and turns away to bark orders to his help}


With that he turns and leads Elloral to a table to one side. "I'm not doing anything more without sleep." He says, sitting down. "We should be safe here - the neighborhood is decent. Once we meet with Rol and hear him out, I'll visit Drehd's Devil's, one of the local mercenary companies. If anyone will sell me information on where to find Jabbar, it'll be them." His stomach rumbles in earnest, and he thinks about his stew back at his home. Cold and uneaten. Assuming they hadn't burned his home to ashes out of spite. Along with his books.

He slips into a brooding silence, thinking about the mystery he needs to crack open. At the moment, it looked hard to crack - but Burrai Steelborn had a heavy axe, strong shoulders, and wouldn't stop until everything inside had burst out.

Elloral glances about at the shady characters lurking in the corners of the common room, obviously doubting your assessment that this is a 'good neighborhood.'

Your breakfast arrives shortly afterward. A trencher of bacon in hot grease, some heels of black bread, eggs, two bowls of stew and a pitcher of plain water with two cups.

Tablemaid: "Drinks are extra, would you like anything else?" She asks.

Elloral: "Black tea please."

The tablemaid looks to Burrai but see's him in a brooding silence and decides not to bother him, turning away to bring Elloral's tea. Meanwhile Elloral tastes the stew and makes a face. "Not nearly as good as yours eh Burrai?" She smirks.

Just then you hear a groan and glimpse movement behind Elloral as something stirs beneath the table behind her. It appears a dwarf was passed out on the floor down there and escaped your notice because he's covered in a thick black-furred bearskin cloak. Hearing the groan Elloral looks over her shoulder in mild alarm, and you both watch as the strange dwarf rolls over and struggles to rise, banging his head against the table's edge with a loud THUD. He curses and crawls out from beneath the table, spine cracking loudly as he straightens himself.

This dwarf looks like he's rarely ever slept on a bed... his bearskin cloak is deeply soiled and unkempt, matching his own hair and beard grown wild and untrimmed, so black they look almost tinged with blue. Standing 4'-10" he has the height of a hill dwarf with a warriors build, but his skin is unusually pale. You and Elloral both exchange a look as you realize you are looking at a sundered dwarf!

The sundered dwarf groans again as he stretches and cracks his neck, throwing his heavy cloak back over his shoulders revealing garments made from animal skins. His leather leggings are stuffed into tall moccasins strapped around his shins. He carries a bone-handled hunting knife and horn-handled throwing axe tucked into his waistband. Over his upper body, his leather tunic is pulled open partway where it's normally cinched tight, revealing a tattoo across his lower neck that looks like broken chain-links?

You glimpse more tattoo's of chain-links around his forearms where the tunic pulls up as he stretches. After unconsciously straightening his tunic to conceal his tattoo's, he glances about and blinks to catch his bearings before he turns his attention on your table. He looks to be much younger then both of you, barely an adult by dwarven standards, but there's enough confidence behind his grey eyes to give you the impression he can take care of himself. He steps closer to your table, hands open and held up in a non-threatening gesture.

Sundered Dwarf: -Speaking Dwarven- "I know the man you seek. We do business sometimes." He says as his stomach starts to grumble and growl.

[Burrai: What do you do?]

Daydreaming
07-16-2014, 08:30 PM
Purusartha: {Grins with obvious fatigue at Achetti} "Hello Achetti, so nice to see you! Don't be alarmed, we have some prisoners with us..." He says stepping inside and gently pulling Achetti to the side.

Yorick steps in after carrying three javelins and a halberd. Sauel moves in next carrying the unconscious Akhenaten man who is also an afflicted wererat, followed by the large werebull Jiao Zhang carrying the unconscious Vulkyrie guard. Jiao has a bull of a time squeezing his bulk down the steep stairwell and through the cellar door.

Achetti: {Gasps at the sight of the werebull} "What is that monster?!" She asks hiding behind Purusartha.

Purusartha: {Chuckles} "This is Jiao Zhang, he's a werebull and another one of our new allies."

The cellars floorboards groan loudly under Jiao's great weight as he squeezes himself through the threshold. Jiao glances up to see that the ceiling is tall enough to accommodate his full height before he unceremoniously drops the wounded Vulkyrie and stretches.

Palenrian: "Tanus protect us, that's a Vulkyrie!" He says in shock watching the big werebull drop the wounded monster to the floor.

Purusartha: {Looks to Palenrian and Grins} "Don't worry it's nearly dead. We got lucky and captured it!" -Speaks to Achetti- "Don't be afraid Achetti." Purusartha says stepping away quickly from the Keu to re-conceal the stairwell and reset its trap.

Achetti's eyes grow very large as she stands before the mighty Jiao, too paralyzed with fright to even breathe. After cracking his thick neck Jiao looks down at her with amused curiosity and snorts loudly. Achetti makes a loud "EEEK!" sound and dashes over to Emiko's cot. Kitsune the fox follows quick at her heels and jumps up unto Emiko's lap.

Moments later Purusartha steps back through the cellar door, locking it securely behind him.

Purusartha: -speaks to Jiao- "Many thanks. Sorry things are so cramped down here but this is where we need to hide for now. Perhaps you would be more comfortable letting Xiaolong do all the waiting?"

Jiao: {Grunts} "Yes." (Shifts his form back into Xiaolong.)

[Everyone: What do you do?]

Emiko was planning on ignoring the others when they returned, but she quickly turns in her cot to face the others when she hears mention of prisoners. She watches the man closely as he's set on the floor, wondering who he is. Noticing Jiao with a Vulkyrie in his arms, her attention quickly shifts to him. A look of worry comes over her face as she studies the Vul with her reddened eyes. Achetii and Kit run over to her, frightened of Jiao. Emiko offers Achetii to sit next to her on her cot and places her arm around the Keu to comfort her. She uses her free hand to pat Kit's back in her lap, then wipes her own face clean of tears, hoping no one noticed the pain on her face.

-Speaking Common- "It's okay Achetii. Jiao is only the cursed dumb brute side of a drunken old man named Xiaolong... He won't hurt you as long as I'm around..." She says quietly looking at Achetii.

"Why did you bring the Vul and this man here to our safe place Purusartha?! Won't they be tracked to our location? Is that man the wererat who was in the clearing outside? What happened out there?!" She says in a worried tone.

Emiko watches as Sauel secures the Vul. Xiaolong falls to the floor badly wounded, and Emiko can't help but feel sorry for him. She pats Achetii on the back comforting her before she stands and walks towards Xiaolong a bit to get a better look at him, and possibly help him over to one of the cots.

~Well, old man.... you keep reminding me of my father in his drunken stupors more and more... But at least you don't seem to be an evil bastard like he was... Let's get you taken care of shall we?~

rtcvb32
07-16-2014, 09:47 PM
"Jaio won the fight..." Sauel summarizes for Emiko before looking back to her. As for the man's state and being a were wasn't his to say, although it would be unlikely to bring anyone else down here for hardly any other reason. "As for these two, it's best not to leave bodies that can't be explained or dealt with effectively. We might question the Vul, the man we may end up dropping off, he might not even know he was even here... But one thing at a time..."

Satisfied the Vul can't just wake up and attack them without being at a severe disadvantage, he stands and moves to the spot he intended to sleep earlier. Xialong seemed to have plenty of help coming to him. With a snap of his fingers Sauel gets Rabi's attention and with his companion close gives the wolf a hug before curling up to go to sleep. Maybe tomorrow would be better...

"See you in the morning Purusartha... and everyone else of course...". It wasn't moments later after he closed his eyes that he lost himself to his dreams. They would have to do without him for a few hours, preferably enough for him to recover all his spells.

Shun001
07-16-2014, 11:57 PM
Emiko watches as Sauel secures the Vul. Xiaolong falls to the floor badly wounded, and Emiko can't help but feel sorry for him. She pats Achetii on the back comforting her before she stands and walks towards Xiaolong a bit to get a better look at him, and possibly help him over to one of the cots.

~Well, old man.... you keep reminding me of my father in his drunken stupors more and more... But at least you don't seem to be an evil bastard like he was... Let's get you taken care of shall we?~

Xiaolong staring blankly upwards is greeted by Emiko looking down at him. Confusion rolls across his face as he could of swore he was in some sort of prison the Vul had or some other terrible establishment.

"ah, so seem I find self wake up to the you people again." He sighs in relief.

"I though say the leave me, why you all save? could the be found, you people." Xiaolong spoke slowly in protest obviously very drained from his encounter.

Emiko Helps him rise from the floor carefully avoiding the tattered bloody mess that was currently an excuse for arms. The shreds of his former cloths covering just barely enough to keep him from indecency. He stumbles about as Emiko steadies his walk to a cot, each step seemed to pass slowly through an eternity as the cot inched slowly closer. When he arrived he turned and let his body drop down to sitting at its edge, his elbows resting on his knees letting the forearms bleed away from the cot. The bleeding was much more contained at this point as his dormant were body hastily tried to mend him.

He slowly gazes around the room all the figures that inhabited. Most were familiar faces with some new ones, and one less then welcomed one.

He turned his look towards Emiko and nodded in apreciation.

"Thank the help, Huǒ nǚhái ('Fire girl' 火女孩 referring to Emiko). Old man get much trouble it seem, very sorry this one." He calmly relays to Emiko.

Narayan
07-17-2014, 01:11 AM
He sips from the cup and lets his thoughts wander a bit before answering Lysen. There is another simple explanation for the subterfuge and Izel’s behavior, which is if Morelo was the mind flayer spy. That is a scary thought, but would explain a lot actually, both Izel’s paranoia and distance, and why they let Lysen know so little. Yet he still has no proof for anything, and theories only get more and more.

“I haven’t seen anything, and not in trouble so far. To explain my curiosity would need more time than what I have at hand right now. The short version is I want to ensure I get into as little trouble as I’d like. I will tell you about it in its due time, don’t worry.” He says with a smirk at the end.

“I’m sorry for having to bring you up such memories, but thank you for indulging me. Take care until next time, will you. And if there is anything else I can help with…” He says and gives her a reassuring grip on her arm.

He just received one more thing onto his list to gather information about, the survivors of the ambush. He should start working on that list already instead of adding more and more to it.

Lysen: "I do know of one survivor Ersun. His name is Darrius. He was one of the merchants who tried to sell goods at that meeting. Now he's nothing, a beggar... I tried to speak with him before but he refused to tell me anything. He was traumatized, half-mad with fear..."

"Occasionally I see him on the streets, still disturbed, dressed in rags. I'm surprised he's survived this long... people must take pity on him? I don't know if he will speak with you or not, but you can try. Most often I see him in Shahryar's square."

[Shahryar was another hero of your tribe. A woman of the warrior-caste who tracked down and rescued a lost child captured by kobolds. She died from her wounds returning to the tribe but the child was close enough to find her way back and speak of her bravery. That was close to a hundred years ago however and the city has grown quite a bit since then. Shahryars square is no longer revered as place of pride. It is now a run down a market for the poor and a hive for criminals.]

[Ersun: What do you do?]

voidoblivion
07-17-2014, 06:35 AM
Seeing that everyone seems not to need his help, he returns to his cot and lays back down to sleep.

p3sent
07-17-2014, 12:04 PM
“I will try to find him then.” He ponders on how to go about that before continuing. “Sorry for only dropping by, going to be a long day.” He says and for a moment considers telling her all about his task just in case he needs help. No, it is better this way for both of them.

“Do take care of your old bones, and leave some wine for the next time I come around.” He says goodbye with a sly grin and solemnly leaves.

He should go learn a little about ranging next, just enough so he can talk about it, that shouldn’t be hard. Meanwhile at least he can think about how to approach Darrius with his topic, by Lysen’s description he expects that won’t be easy. Once he spent a little time with that, he does get to looking for the beggar himself, starting with Shahryar’s square.

Hillsy
07-20-2014, 06:14 PM
"I know the man you seek. We do business sometimes." He says as his stomach starts to grumble and growl.


Burrai shares a look with Elloral, one eyebrow arched suspiciously. Then he looks at the Dwarf, then at his rumbling stomach, then back to the dwarf. It wouldn't be the first time someone had tried to scam a free meal because of an overheard snippet of conversation. Burrai opens his mouth, intending to tell the Sundered Dwarf precisely where he could insert his confidence trick, but pauses.

In all his years, even before Burrai and Cherrian were murdered when he sought gold in the adventurer's life to support his family, he'd never personally met a Sundered Dwarf. He knew all about them - poor crack-brained souls afraid of the warm, pure embrace of the earth where they belonged - but that was all. The Sundered Dwarf's scruffy, unkempt appearance Burrai at first took for vagrancy, he realises is also indicative of their reputation. Burrai takes a second look, sees past the wildness and grime. Warm Cloak, leather leggings, weapons that look sharp and a quality that infers he know's their use. And also money to buy enough ale to pass out under a table. A table no one knew they'd be sitting at.

Burrai has a change of mind, and instead turns in his seat to both face the dwarf, and clear his way should weapons be drawn.

"How convenient," Burrai says, voice low, but not mocking or menacing. "A drunk dwarf just happens to overhear a name and just happens to know him. My apologies, but I don't like those sorts of coincidents." The Sundered Dwarf starts to say something, but Burrai makes a placating gesture. "Maybe you do know him, maybe you don't. I'm not calling you a liar, I just don't know you from Moradin, so for now I'm erring on the side of caution. Why don't you explain to me how you know him, why you happen to be under a table, and how you can help us?"

Narayan
07-21-2014, 12:17 AM
Purusartha assists Sauel with the rope work, tying the Vulkyrie to one of the stout wooden columns holding up the ceiling of Wrusks Cellar ensuring it can't walk around. Then he pours another vial of his mysterious poison down the Vulkyries throat before it's beak is tied shut. Lastly he places a sack over the Vulkyries head.

Arminas and Wrusk open the cellar door and make an outburst of surprise before they descend down the stairs.

Wrusk: "WHAT?!... how the hell did THAT get in here?!" Wrusk exclaims with shock, clearly upset.

Arminas: {Raises his brows} "A Vulkyrie?!"

Purusartha: {Turns to face his old friend} "I know it's risky, but it's a rare opportunity to catch one alive. I wanted to see what we can learn from it?"

Wrusk: {In his anger Wrusk appears to shed years with every step as he stomps overto Purusartha and stands tall glaring down at him} "Of all the pig-headed ideas Puru! This is the WORST!" {notices the unconscious Akhenaten lying on the floor.} "And this one? Who is this?"

Purusartha: -Answers slowly- "That's a wererat actually."

Wrusk: {Jerks his head up, silver-caped tusks glinting in the lamplight} "OH! You take the expression... 'keep your friends close but your enemies closer' ...quite literally!"

Purusartha: {Frowns} "Old friend I..."

Wrusk: -Interrupts- "DON'T APOLOGIZE! ...that reminds me of Roth's death all over again..." He says bitterly.

Purusartha: {Wrusks words hit Puru like a punch to the stomach. He seems shaken and off-balance. He swallows and clenches his jaw before he asks.} “What would you have me do?”

Wrusk looks away from Purusartha with obvious scorn, gaze lingering on the rest of you, his guests... The sight of you all so clearly exhausted or badly wounded seem to prompt him to reconsider what he might have said next. You watch the anger drain from his face, revealing once again the deep wrinkles and weariness of age. He cough's and steadies himself with his cane.

Wrusk: “Did you hide your tracks at least?” He asks Purusartha with a deep scowl.

Purusartha: “Yes, I used my magic dust.”

Wrusk: "And there's no other trace of you out there? Or that of the Vulkyrie?"

Purusartha: "No. Yorick grabbed the weapons the Vulkyrie dropped. There are some bodies of the Vulkyrie's victims, but those few amongst so many others spread all across the city won't lead them here."

Wrusk: {Grunts} “I expect we'll know before the day is done if that's true or not... So be it! I'll question the Vulkyrie myself. I learned their language a long time ago, something you still haven't managed yet am I right Puru?" He asks striking Purusartha's arm chidingly.

Purusartha: "I'm still working on it, but I understand most of it." He says with less tension in his voice.

[Everyone: What do you do?]

Narayan
07-21-2014, 05:56 AM
Sundered Dwarf: {Smirks}"I'm not surprised by your doubt. Your sort is always suspicious of dwarves like me. Its ok I'm not offended, nor am I lying... not right before a meal at least. Falsehoods are hard on the digestion..." {pats his rumbling stomach.} "...and I have a feeling I'll need my strength today!" {Pulls a chair out from your table and sits down} "Are you going to eat that?" He asks Elloral who wasn't exactly wolfing down her stew.

Elloral: {slides over her bowl} "What's your name?"

Sundered Dwarf: "My name is Avar. I've done business with Jabar for almost a year now. Sometimes I sell to him, sometimes I buy from him." {Gobbles down a few spoonfuls of the stew}

The table-maid approaches again carrying a tray with a steaming tea pot and two cups. She notes Avar's presence at your table with bemused indifference.

Tablemaid: -speaking common- "If this one bothers you, you let me know ok?" She speaks to Elloral in particular.

Avar: -Remarks to the tablemaid in common- "She's a bit old to be my type..." He says snorting into his bowl of stew. -speaks to Elloral also in common, lifting his eyes up from the stew momentarily- "...No offense."

Elloral: -replies to Avar in common- "None taken!" She says giving the tablemaid a couple copper pieces for the tea.

Avar: {Belches} -speaks to the tablemaid- "Bring ale and some more of that roasted goat."

Tablemaid: {Rolls her eyes} "Do you have any coin left Avar? Last I saw you were gambling with those Neferese merchants last night and loosing."

Avar: {Frowns and pats himself down} "I do appear substantially lighter with silver... but not completely without!" {Produces four silver coins.}

The tablemaid takes the coin and steps away from the table.

Avar: -Looks to Burrai and switches back to dwarven- "...I believe she answered your second question, allow me to answer the third. I can help you by taking you to Jabbar and providing an introduction..." {Finishes the stew.}

Elloral: {Pours herself a cup of tea.} -speaking dwarven- "I'm guessing your help has a price?"

Avar: {Shakes his head} "As I said, your sort is always suspicious of my kind. Many of us resent that attitude, but I'm not one of them. I have great respect for mountain dwarves." {Looks to Burrai with admiration} "...Besides, I'm happy to assist the mercenary prince."

[Burrai: What do you do?]

Hillsy
07-22-2014, 05:42 PM
Burrai sits, chewing mouthfuls of mediocre stew, listing to Avar give his reasons and finding little in them that fit his suspicions. Known by the workers here, a gambler, too brash and too loose with his tongue to be trying to con coin from either of their purses. A happy coincidence maybe, but the events of the previous night are too raw to ignore. He almost feels the evil pulsing from the book in Ellroal's pounch, even from across the table. Perhaps Avar is just a pair of eyes, happy to get close to confirm a target then to pass that information on to the Black Network. Perhaps there were a dozen other Avar's, waiting in the inns and taverns, looking for a pair of drawfs swept in with the morning crowd. Like Rol and Gilbur, who just happen to be watching the road outside the nearest town.

Then something catches his ear. Something in Avar's tone....


"As I said, your sort is always suspicious of my kind. Many of us resent that attitude, but I'm not one of them. I have great respect for mountain dwarves." {Looks to Burrai with admiration} "...Besides, I'm happy to assist the mercenary prince."


...and all the tension slips from his shoulders.

~I've been away too long~ he thinks. ~Holed up at home, studying lore, deflecting fools like Farrik and their mundane offers of work. Hoping for a way to honour Burrai would just leapt out of some century old myth of heroism. And now something's happening, something truly worthy of my son's name. And I'm still there - Burrai the scholar, crouched over his tomes instead of acting~

Burrai turns. The scars over his left eye frames look on the young dwarf's face. Burrai isn't just a name to scribble down amidst the history of the present. Burrai is a life to be lived. And one the town of Cabarda knows of. He sighs, pushes his bowl of stew away and settles both hands on the table.

"It's alright Avar." He says in Dwarven. "There's no slight against you - I hold suspicions for most people, your kind no more or less than others. Especially right now at the moment. And Especially anyone who crawls out from under a table with offers of aid." He grins, no more than a twitch at the corners of his mouth, to show it's a joke. After a moments pause he slides his mostly finished stew next to Elloral's clasped in Avar's hands. "If you wish to help, I accept gratefully. I'd like to set up a meeting with Jabbar, today, but we do have two other pressing matters to deal with. The first is sleep. The second an appointment at noon. Perhaps you could speak to Jabbar, make arrangements, and meet us back here shortly after noon with the details?" He looks at the small stew bowls, then at the empty trencher, the crumbs of bread, then at Avar's still rumbling stomach. He carefully places ten silver in a stack on the table between them. "Allow me to buy reimburse you for your breakfast, and pay for a second if you're still building your strength for the day, as a gesture of thanks."

Burrai can almost feel his ease stretching, like the persona of Burrai the mercenary, a Dwarf who only took jobs paved with adventure where gold was only half the payment alongside the promise of fame, was just an atrophied muscle. It was time to stop skulking around like a hermit and wade into events like Burrai Steelborn would.

"Unless you've anything you need or want to share, we'll leave you to your food and retire to our room."

rtcvb32
07-22-2014, 05:50 PM
(Unless it's really important or Sauel gets woken up, he's probably not going to respond. Yeah it takes me out of RPing a bit more but gotta be realistic here)

Daydreaming
07-22-2014, 06:11 PM
Emiko recieves answers to the questions she asked Purusartha as she watches the exchange between Wrusk and him. When the conversation lightens, Emiko relaxes a bit more to the situation. She looks at the others casually, observing each individual in the room as she slowly makes her way back to her cot.

~It seems this fire will only get more intense as it continues to burn... and having to rely on these others... What have I gotten myself into? I wonder if this is the path I was meant to follow... It seems so much harder to try and keep people alive and well, than it is to just kill them. So much harder... I just want to burn free like a wildfire, but there is so much about this world that I want to keep alive and well... I can't keep destroying everything I touch... These people deserve their happiness. They've worked so hard for it... If I can't find a way to control myself soon I will only burden them, and I will have to leave. Please Ayumu give me answers! I want to help them...~

Her thoughts continue as she gestures for Achetii to leave her cot so she can liedown. Emiko gathers up her book and makes sure her writings are finished and dry. She puts all her stuff away in her pack and climbs onto the cot using her pack as a pillow. She lays down on her side facing the wall and runs her hand across her belly and feels her dagger tucked into the folds of her armor still. Kitsune cuddles up to Emiko embedding herself up against Emiko's chest, so she can sleep safely. Emiko puts an arm around Kit, taking comfort in her little friend, and she closes her eyes. She lies there with her eyes closed for a while daydreaming of the time when she was back in the frozen forests of her homeland, playing with the wildlife, having no cares in the world. Sleep comes easy, but it's plagued with nightmares, like every other night of her whole life.

voidoblivion
07-22-2014, 07:35 PM
{unless something really important happends Cred sleeps also. he is out of spells that could help cover tracks anyhow. so unless some one has a non detect spell not much I can do}

Shun001
07-22-2014, 08:14 PM
As Emiko leaves Xiaolongs side he sits there staring towards the floor. His head spins as he sobers up, the all familiar pain in the front of his skull and the pressure filling up behind his small eyes almost wanting to eject them from their sockets. He feels the urge to rub his face with his arms but in their condition he opts to fall back onto the cot. Dangling his legs lifelessly he can hear the return of others and what seems to be a back and fourth of which he cannot comprehend between his aching arms, his growing headache, and what seems to be fatigue finally rushing fourth as the material on his back welcomed him better then any floor.

~The last time I lay to rest was a night where some kind souls of Ishvar picked me up off the street and and showed me kindness. Even though Maseaus always had a dark sky overhead, there was a much brighter radiance when they were around... now they are gone...~

Unwilling to continue on in consciousness he drifts off to sleep, most likely to be greeted by the same terrible nightmare...

~The Northern Bull Monastery... I'm here again...~

He sleeps restlessly... saying dialogue in caishian, haunted by his past...

Narayan
07-23-2014, 06:03 PM
As you leave Lysen's garden Rahul escorts you back through the manor.

Rahul: "Thank you for your visit Ersun. You look good." He says moving ahead of you to open the front door for you.

As you move to step through the threshold, the elderly servant slips something concealed out of his sleeve...

Rahul: (Sleight of Hand Check: = 20)

Ersun: (Spot Check: = 12, Fail)

You do not spot the needle pinched between the fingers of his hand as he reaches up to pat you on the shoulder. It is a typical gesture for him to make so you sense nothing threatening about it.

Rahul: (Attack w/ Needle: = 16, Hit)

Suddenly you feel a prick on your neck as Rahul jabs the needle into your skin! Caught by surprise you react predictably, jerking away from him. Anticipating that, Rahul pushes you out into the street shutting the door quickly behind you.

Meanwhile two men emerge from hiding across the street and rush towards you. Both of them are holding clubs.

[Ersun: Make a Fortitude Save vs. Poison, DC 17 and Roll initiative!]

p3sent
07-23-2014, 07:01 PM
He mutters some curses under his nose, wondering what kind of poison did that spawn of rats get into his system. This ambush raises even more questions, which is starting to get on his nerves for this day.

[Fortitude save vs. poison, DC 17: 14]
[Initiative: 12]

Narayan
07-24-2014, 06:42 PM
"Unless you've anything you need or want to share, we'll leave you to your food and retire to our room."

Avar: {Smiles} "It seems my fortunes are changing. Last night I was practically robbed by Neferese swindlers and this morning the great Burrai Steelborn is buying my breakfast!"

Elloral: {Gestures for Avar to keep his voice down} "Please friend, we are trying to keep a low profile."

Avar: -Lowers his voice- "Apologies! Are you in danger?"

Elloral: "Just listen! Don't use his name. We are grateful for your help, but we won't be answering any questions just yet. Not until we know we can trust you."

Avar: "Fair enough, just trying to help... I will arrange the meeting as you say, but Jabbar is a careful man. I can't vouch for you if I can't give your names."

Elloral: "Can't you just make one up?"

Avar: {Chuckles} "Jabbar is not a man you lie too."

Burrai: {Looks to Elloral} "It's fine, he can use my name."

The tablemaid arrives with Avar's food and drink. Meanwhile you and Elloral head for your room upstairs. There are two stairwells at either side of the common room which both lead to a central hallway on the second floor. There are eight rooms at either side of the hall. The bath and the maids' quarters can be found at the end of the hall. Their duties include preparing baths, emptying chamber pots, tidying rooms and laundering.

When you find your room and unlock it, you see it is rather cramped with the two beds you requested, but it has basic amenities including two chests, a pitcher of water, a washbasin, a lamp and a candle. (Rooms with only one bed would also have a small table and chairs.) Each room has one window with shutters. Your window has a view of the street out front.

Elloral: {Groans and stuffs her belongings into one of the chests, including the pouch with the journal.} "I will be first to take a bath if you don't mind Burrai?"

[Burrai: What do you do?]

Narayan
07-25-2014, 11:30 PM
Wrusks Cellar____________________________________________

Wrusk: {Kneels by the bound and hooded Vulkyrie with a cruel sneer} "I'm looking forward to torturing this creature. How many of you did it take to subdue it?"

Purusartha: {Smirks} "Just one. You see that old man over there?"

Wrusk: {Looks at Xiaolong muttering in his sleep like a senile old fool} "Yes?"

Purusartha: "His name is Xiaolong, he's a Caishian monk and a werebull."

Wrusk: {Chuckles} "I'd guess were almost the same age... except he's half my weight and doesn't appear particularly strong. You're telling me he subdued the Vulkyrie single-handedly?!"

Purusartha: "Not exactly. Xiaolong is possessed with the spirit of another more powerful Werebull named Jiao. Jiao could easily defeat any one of us, save you perhaps?"

Wrusk: {Hmphs}

Purusartha: "Jiao only emerges when Xiaolong is forced to shift forms. He's rash, dangerous, violent... but prone to boredom. Once the fighting's done he usually reverts control back to Xiaolong."

Wrusk: "He's wounded... but I expect he'll heal on his own if he's a lycanthrope like you. Listen to him snore..." {chuckles} "You must be exhausted yourself Puru?"

Purusartha: {Rubs his neck wearily} "You have no idea... this has been the longest twenty four hours I remember... But I can't let myself sleep... not yet. There is much we need to discuss."

Palenrian: {Rises from his chair and steps over to Purusartha and Wrusk} "I wanted to thank you gentlemen. We haven't been properly introduced yet. My name is Palenrian" He says offering his hand.

Wrusk: {Snorts} -speaks sarcastically- "Gentleman he calls us." {Shakes Palenrian's hand}

Purusartha: {Shakes Palenrian's hand} "I am sorry for what happened to you. If that Vulkyrie mage hadn't shown up with his pet VulDrake, we might have been able to prevent your capture and the prince's death."

Palenrian: "Last night is difficult to recall completely... slaying that other Vulkyrie was the last thing I remember before I woke up in that dungeon."

Purusartha: "I am glad we were able to free you from that hell!"

Palenrian: "Hopefully I am merely the first of many... that place must be destroyed! Along with all those winged monsters!" {gestures to the captured Vulkyrie}

Wrusk: "No need to worry about that one. He's as good as doomed!"

Palenrian: {Shakes his head} "You shouldn't say that. No doubt that's the same attitude they had towards me isn't it? We shouldn't allow ourselves any complacency. The Vulkyrie still have the upper hand."

Purusartha: {Sighs} "You speak the truth. I blame myself for allowing the prince to be killed. It will be much harder now to organize an insurrection."

Wrusk: {hmphs} "Death claims us all eventually. What matters is how we choose to risk our lives. I say we have a drink to honor the fallen and celebrate living to fight another day! Come upstairs my friends, that's where I keep the good stuff!"

Palenrian: -Speaks to Arminas- "Will you join us?"

Arminas: "No thanks, I'm not much of a drinker. Besides, someone should keep an eye on the prisoners. I'll put some shackles on the wererat and let you know when either of them wakes."

Palenrian: {Nods and places a hand on the elf's shoulder as a gesture of appreciation}

Purusartha: {Looks to Yorick} "What about you friend? Do you drink?"

Yorick: {Yawns} "Another time." {Slouches down with his back to one of the posts, axe lying across his lap at the ready. His head starts to droop down to his chest and very soon he will be passed out and drooling.}

The three men go upstairs then, leaving the rest of you asleep except for Achetii, Sher' Reek and Arminas.

To be continued...

Narayan
07-29-2014, 02:20 AM
Wrusk leads the pair up into his large furnished living room warmed by a hearth. There are four chairs arranged before the fire and a semi-circular low table. The omnipresent monkey hisses and bares its fangs at Palenrian as he and Purusartha sit.

Wrusk: "Shut up Grivet!" He growls at the monkey who perches atop his chair. "Apologies Palenrian. This little fur-ball isn't fond of new faces and there's been more then usual today."

Palenrian: "Monkeys are extremely rare in my homeland, but not unheard of on my world. I've seen many exotic creatures and races since I've come here and it's certainly impressed me."

Purusartha: ​"And have you any idea how to return to your world?"

Palenrian: "Not without a small fortune at the very least. Arminas spoke to the elves of this land hoping to persuade them to send us back. It's within their power but once they heard our story about how our home is being invaded by Drow they decided it was too risky opening any portals for us."

Purusartha: {Frowns} "That is unfortunate. I can only imagine how awful it is to be ripped away from your home like that, and I'm sorry to have involved you in all this bloodshed."

Palenrian: {Holds up his hand} "That is not your fault. I volunteered to help prince Asher after I heard his story. It's a worthy cause, I have no regrets."

Meanwhile Wrusk moves over to a wall cabinet and removes an ornate clear bottle along with a pitcher of cool water which he places on the table along with three glasses. He fills each glass a third with the clear liquor and tops them off with the water. The liquor appears to react with the water and create a translucent milky-white drink.

Wrusk: "This is another Akhenaten drink called Arak.It is distilled from Anise, a local spice."He explains.

Palenrian: {Takes a glass and sips it slowly} "Ah that's delicious!" He says smiling.

Purusartha: {Takes a glass and sips it} -Speaks to Wrusk- "This is a fine batch!" -Speaks to Palenrian- "So Palenrian, what was your life like back home?"

Palenrian: "Back home I was a diplomat, an ambassador for the independent city-state of Realmadon (https://campaign-16335.obsidianportal.com/maps/7968)."

Purusartha: "Ah interesting. How large is Realmadon compared to Masaeus?"

Palenrian: "About half the size. It wasn't built by Dwarves but it's still quite majestic in its own right, and very rich."

Purusartha: "And how were you chosen to be a diplomat?"

Palenrian: "I'm related to the Lord of Realmadon, my younger cousin. He asked me to serve shortly after he assumed power twenty years ago."

Purusartha: "It suites you. You are wise and well-spoken, but you clearly carry the heart of a warrior. How did you come by those scars if you don't mind me asking?"

Palenrian: "I battled a Draegloth."

Purusartha: "Never heard of it?"

Palenrian: "It's an abominable race born from a drow high priestess and a demon. It is a monster much on par with these Vulkyrie."

Purusartha: "Sounds nasty. Palenrian it's fairly obvious your scars aren't just skin deep. You spoke of your hatred for the Drow earlier in the cellar of the Drunken Fool while you were accusing Olo of conspiring with them. I'm asking if you are with us in our struggle against the Vul... regardless of what other evils might arise?"

Palenrian: {sighs} "I'm sure both of you understand how it feels to loose friends and loved ones. Yes I vowed to battle drow as long as I lived, but I also realize I'm very far from home. My priorities have to change with these circumstances. I accept that, even if I don't like it."

Purusartha: "Good, I'm very glad to hear you are with us. I'm interested in your opinion of our group? How would you advise we structure it?"

Palenrian: "Hmm, well for starters, there has to be a chain of command. Arguments and quarrels weaken us and create opportunity for the enemy."

Purusartha: "True, but none of us are soldiers. It doesn't seem fitting to adopt a command structure based on ranks and such."

Palenrian: "I agree. Authority based on seniority makes more sense, but I don't honestly feel qualified to give orders as an outsider. I'm not familiar with this land."

Purusartha: "Also, age isn't always a good indicator of maturity and experience. Some races age slower, like your friend Aminas, and others much quicker like our kobold companions."

Wrusk: {Snorts} "I'm not taking orders from a Kobold, I don't care how old it is!"

Palenrian: "Discrimination isn't helping us. Anyone victimized by the Vul should feel welcome with us. It is the only way we can accrue the numbers we need to really threaten them."

Wrusk: {Scoffs} "I doubt you'd be saying that if a dark elf was here asking to join us!"

Palenrian: "Good point."

Purusartha: "Some boundaries for excluding races seems reasonable to me."

Palenrian: "What if we adopt a merit-based system for rank?"

Wrusk: "I don't feel the need to prove anything to anyone."

Purusartha: "Nor do I, but I see what he means. The group has to feel like we are all judged fairly and given the same opportunities to be a leader."

Palenrian: "What counts as a merit?"

Purusartha: "Well, participating in a battle for one thing."

Palenrian: "I think that's a mistake. We don't want the most bloodthirsty among us serving as the leaders by default."

Purusartha: {Chuckles} "If that was true, Jiao would have us all up in the streets right now leading us to our doom!"

Wrusk: {Hmph's} "Maybe not fighting in a battle in general, but defeating a Vulkyrie should count for something."

Purusartha: "Agreed. And providing some important information or items should count. Achetii has already contributed the most in that regard... even if her contributions ended up being lost to us..."

Palenrian: "Ok but I still don't see a merit-based system for choosing a leader making sense. Everyone already seems to look to you in that way Purusartha, I don't think there's a better choice."

Purusartha: "Well I'm not going to live forever. Any one of us could die any day. Someone has to either be chosen now as my second, or we need to devise a method for voting on the next leader when that time comes."

Palenrian: "Voting makes more sense then anything else, but those of us who've contributed more should have more important votes then the next random stranger who joins us."

Purusartha: "What if we use the merit's for votes?"

Palenrian: {Nods} "That could work. But how exactly?"

Purusartha: "Well going off what we already agreed, if you, Wrusk and Jiao each earned a merit each for defeating a Vulkyrie, that gives you an extra vote. Achetii also has a merit for bringing me news about prince Asher and delivering the royal items of prince Hezek to us. So the four of you could only be out-voted by 9 new members to the group."

Wrusk: {Snorts} "So long as we agree nobody tells me what to do in my own place!"

Purusartha: "Of course, that goes without saying."

Palenrian: "Ok that's a good idea Purusartha. We'll have to agree on other things that count as merits for extra votes. But voting about everything all the time could also be a problem for the group. What orders from the leader should be accepted without issue and which ones should be permitted to be challenged?"

Purusartha: "If the majority disagrees with me, it should be brought to a vote. Lets say... three naysayers at a minimum, and only if time permits."

Palenrian: "Well whats to stop naysayers from doing that constantly? Some discussion about decisions is healthy, too much creates a lack of discipline."

Purusartha: "That's true, challenging my order to a vote shouldn't be taken for granted. Suppose it requires at least one merit to challenge an order, and calling such a vote 'burns' a merit? That will keep the challenges to a minimum no doubt."

Palenrian: "Yes that should."

Wrusk: {Drains his cup and refills it, topping off those of Purusartha and Palenrian.} "I don't know how you both think up such complicated things? I'm a simpler-minded man. I'm sitting here listening to you both talk but I feel like I'll need you both to explain everything again after this conversation is over."

"One thing we should have already discussed by now is what to call ourselves?"

Suddenly there is a knock at the door.

...To be continued.

Hillsy
07-30-2014, 06:41 PM
{Groans and stuffs her belongings into one of the chests, including the pouch with the journal.} "I will be first to take a bath if you don't mind Burrai?"


Burrai nods, and sits down on the chest. Elloral leaves the room, and Burrai's only company is his thoughts. He removes his heavy armour; the lack of weight is both a relief and heightens his nerves. Always it's been his protection, a mask of strength and competence he's shown to the world outside. For a moment he feels as though he's just taken off Burrai and piled him neatly by his feet. Without that armour, who is he? Just another dwarf who reads too much and speaks too little, tending a small plot and learning lore by rote.

The feeling of vulnerability passes. If anything the events of tonight has shown him that there are forces in the world who care not for what persona he wears. Instead all that's left is the exhaustion of a sleepless night, raw nerves and a heavy breakfast weighing him down. He closes his eyes and rests his head back against the wall. The chest is wood, lightly bound with steel, so it soon warms beneath him. ~Where will these events lead? What does the Black Network want with the journal? What is contained within? What fears and facts does Rol carry with him he's so eager to unburden onto us?~

All these questions and more create a steady, lethargic swirl in his mind, mixing into a general curiosity in his head as he drifts off to sleep. But not before a strange alchemy turns all the confusion and worry into the warm flush of anticipation of what the day will bring......

Narayan
08-01-2014, 09:18 PM
He mutters some curses under his nose, wondering what kind of poison did that spawn of rats get into his system. This ambush raises even more questions, which is starting to get on his nerves for this day.

[Fortitude save vs. poison, DC 17: 14]
[Initiative: 12]

Blackness overtakes you and you collapse unto the street.

[A minute passes and then you get a chance to make a secondary saving throw.]

Ersun: (Secondary Fortitude saving throw, DC 17: = 21, Success)

After a minute you feel yourself breathing along with a strange tingling sensation in your head, which you'd guess are the lingering effects of the poison. However you quickly realize that while you were passed out the two thugs put shackles on your hands and feet, a gag in your mouth and a sack over your head. You feel yourself being lifted atop some beast, probably a Rothe, and tied down over its back like a rug. They cover you with a blanket and tie other parcels over you to hide your body. It muffles most of the sound around you, but you can still make out the two thugs talking.

Thug 1: -Speaking Undercommon- "Did you see how easily Caius poisoned him?" {Laughs}

Thug 2: {Laughs} "That old man is scary, it's no wonder he's so easily underestimated... nobody ever see's him coming!"

Thug 1: "Yep, that's also probably why he's managed to grow old in this organization. That woman he lives with is supposed to be some sort of duskblade bad-ass, but old Caius could kill her at any time. It's ironic he's posing as her servant, she has no idea how dangerous he is!" {pauses}"Did you see that? I think he might be awake?"

Thug 2: "Nah no way. Caius said that would knock him out for at least an hour."

You feel the Rothe start moving as they tug on its lead-rope.

Thug 1: "What do you think Crusher wants with this guy?"

Thug 2: "I don't know, and I don't make it a habit of asking questions. Neither should you!"

Thug 1: "Well we saw him talking to Izel, that's got to be the reason. Crusher is no friend of the Warmages."

Thug 2: {Chuckles} "You know nothing. Crusher and Izel are allies, I've seen them together before. They put on a show of being enemies to keep their relationship a secret."

Thug 1: "Really? Damn... I'm not sure I understand much of what I'm told to do anymore. Things are too complex."

Thug 2: "Your mistake was assuming you had any idea to begin with! Like I said, stop thinking about it. We aren't paid for that. Just do your job and keep your yap shut! You'll live longer..."

A minute passes in silence as Thug 1 seems cowed by Thug 2's chastisement.

Thug 1: "...Well you seem to know a lot and you're not dead yet. What's your secret?"

Thug 2: {Huffs} "I've got eyes to see and ears to hear with don't I? Sometimes I can't help observing things I'm not told to. Given enough time you start to figure out what's-what. I'm just smart enough not to let on about it."

Thug 1: "Well you can tell me? I can keep a secret."

Thug 2: {Snorts} "In your dreams."

More moments pass...

Thug 1: "What do you think of that tavern we were at? I'm thinking of going back there later. I'll buy you a drink or two and maybe then you'll feel like telling me more?"

Thug 2: {Chuckles} "It would take a bottle of good Grog for me to reconsider."

Thug 1: "Grog?! That stuff might as well be poison. You can't even find it unless you go through the black-market."

Thug 2: "It's not that uncommon, I know plenty of guys who have it. You don't drink it for its health-benefits you idiot! It helps me figure stuff out. Usually after I pass out drunk, I wake up later with a huge headache... but then later I see things more clearly. Sometimes though, I get visions... no, nightmares is probably a better word. They say that Grog can open your mind to the darker things."

Thug 1: "No thanks, I'll stick to ale and rum thank you very much..."

Thug 2: "That's fine, I wouldn't expect you to understand. But if you want to hear anything else from me that's my price."

Thug 1: "How much is it?"

Thug 2: "At that tavern... ten gold pieces should cover it."

Thug 1: "TEN?! That's robbery!"

Thug 2: {Chuckles} "...says the thug. It normally goes for a gold-per-cup. Cheaper to buy it by the bottle. For what I know it's worth it."

Thug 1: "I'm not sure... I think you're just gonna make some crap up just to con me. What is in that stuff anyway?"

Thug 2: "Not sure... very few really know the recipe to its brew, and fewer still have the nerve to actually make it."

Thug 1: "I heard it's made by Goblins and Orogs."

Thug 2: "It's not wise to drink the version Goblins make, but Orogs sure. Bugbears and Hobgoblins also make a good batch."

Thug 1: "Which is why it's illegal, you have to trade with the monstrous races to get ahold of it."

Thug 2: "Not always... some of us Underfolk can make it too. I know for a fact that Crusher drinks it daily, but I'm not surprised, given what he is."

Thug 1: "Hmm... maybe I will try it."

Thug 2: "We'll see... but your buying your own damn bottle if you do."

Thug 1: "Well maybe Crusher will give us leave to go after we deliver this guy?"

Thug 2: "I wouldn't count on it."

[Ersun: What do you do?]

Narayan
08-02-2014, 12:31 AM
You wake to a loud rapping on the door to your room. Elloral is quick to wake and steps close to the door.

Elloral: "Who is it?"

Voice: "It is the maid, Putyuk said to wake you one hour before noon."

Elloral: {Opens the door a crack} "Thank you." She says to the maid handing her a copper. {Shuts the door again and looks to you Burrai}

Elloral doesn't look very well rested. Her eyes are reddened and she yawns deeply.

"I was having a very intense dream Burrai. Somewhere in the hills a dwarven trade caravan was attacked by worg-riding goblins, hobgoblins and a hill giant. The dwarves fought bravely but they were outmatched and outnumbered. I remember seeing the mark of the black network on the evil humanoids... and I recall one other thing. I saw shadows of great wings circling above... like those of great birds... but I do not think they were vultures. I think they were Vulkyrie. The dwarves were shouting into the sky, asking for aid, but none came. They were all massacred..."

{Elloral sits heavily upon her bed} "It was a vision Burrai. I prayed to Valkauna for guidance. I believe that ambush actually happened and Valkauna wants us to investigate that tragedy. I remember glimpsing an interesting formation of stones near the ambush site... it looked sort of like a giant hand? Perhaps we can ask around and see if anyone has heard of it?"

{Smirks} "You should bathe Burrai, I'll help you put your armor back on when your done."

[Burrai: What do you do?]

Narayan
08-04-2014, 01:20 AM
Wrusks monkey, Grivet, screeches at the knocking at the door and clambers atop Wrusks shoulder.

Wrusk: "Quiet Grivet!" {Frowns and rises from his chair} -lowers his voice- "Keep your voices down gentlemen until I know who's come calling..."

Palenrian and Purusartha exchange a look as Wrusk steps over to the door with the aid of his bone-handled cane. He opens the viewing port and glares out into the street.

Wrusk: "Yes?!"

There are three figures out front. One has the build of a dwarf, another a woman, and the last raises his head and lifts off his hood to reveal an older Akhenaten man.

Wrusk: {Blinks} -speaking Akhenaten- "Samad?!"

Samad: {Smiles} -speaking Akhenaten- "It has been too long old friend!"

Wrusk: "Why would you ever risk coming here on a day like this? The streets are too dangerous to be moving about!"

Samad: "Don't be ridiculous, I came by way of the sewers. I'm a smuggler now if you haven't heard..." {Gestures to the dwarf.} "I was employed by this good dwarf to be his guide."

Wrusk: "Do you need shelter? Where are you headed?"

Samad: {Chuckles} "We've already arrived. This dwarf paid me to bring him to your tannery Wrusk."

Wrusk: {Peers at the dwarf through the viewing-port} "Well I know I can trust anyone you bring to my doorstep Samad, come in quickly!" {Opens the door}

Wrusk is far along in his years with long bushy eyebrows above small, murky, angry eyes deeply recessed into their sockets. His face is well wrinkled but closely shaven and his tusks are caped with silver.

Though he stands a bit stooped and leans on a cane, the old half orc still has the look of a warrior with the hint of some frightening pale scars cut across his leather-ed skin. His hair is light grey and thinning into high widows peaks above his temples, but he still wears it long tied behind his neck.

He is well dressed, clearly a half orc of unusual means and taste. His leathers are of the finest quality, supple and delicately embroidered. His fingers bare jeweled silver rings and his walking stick is actually carved from some giant unknown bone. He carries no obvious weapons beside a long bone-handled knife.

After you three enter his home, Wrusk locks the door and leads them into his living area where Palenrian and Purusartha are both sitting. Grivet is hissing and howling and Wrusk finally looses patience with his pet.

Wrusk: -speaking common- "BE QUIET!" He shouts at the monkey angrily, stomping out of the living room to carry the monkey elsewhere.

The living room is nicely furnished with a large hearth, before which is a low table and four padded chairs. Antique weapons, taxidermy and exotic art adorn the walls while rugs decorate the floor.

[Kromedon: you have a chance to look over the other two men in the living room. Both of whom are holding glasses of an exotic-looking drink as they stand from their seats.]

Palenrian is in his mid fifties, standing a couple inches shy of six feet with a medium build. He has the look of a man of substance and deep character, though he's obviously a foreigner. His hair is handsomely grey, though his brows and mustache are still clinging to some of their original brown color. His eyes are deep brown, intelligent, wise, and presently suspicious and on edge. His clothes are shredded and stained with blood... his blood. His complexion and breathing also indicate he's deeply wounded, fatigued, and in a great deal of pain.

There is evidence he's been seriously wounded before, marked by the savage tear of an old scar under his right eye that carries across his cheek bone and around the side of his skull. Palenrian keeps his hair long enough to cover his ears, but when his hair shifts as he moves you glimpse that his right ear is all but gone. You also notice that his right hand is as equally mauled as his face, largely blotched with grey scar tissue trailing back beneath the cuff of his tunic hinting that the damage may go further up his arm as well.

Purusartha has the same height and build as Palenrian, though he is Akhenaten in his late forties, dressed in local desert garb and sandals. His eyes are dissimilar colors. One Brown, one blue, and blood-shot with exhaustion. He wears his graying hair long and unkempt, hanging over his face in thick long bangs, knitting in with a thick grey beard around his jaw. He seems fit and agile despite his leathery skin, darkly tanned from many years out in the desert. His clothes appear torn from rocks and thorny shrubs. He carries a short sword and a dagger.

Samad: -the first to break the silence, switching to common- "Hello gentlemen. I am Samad, an old friend of Wrusks."

Purusartha: {Smiles, revealing a few missing teeth} "Well met. I am Purusartha."

Samad: "Forgive me, my memory isn't what it used to be, but I believe I have heard Wrusk speak of you before... Weren't you friends with Roth?"

Purusartha: {Nods solemnly} "Yes I was, though that feels like a lifetime ago."

Samad: "It's been what, almost a quarter century since Roth died hasn't it? I wasn't there for Wrusk like I wish I would have been... I was in prison for several years, detained by the Vulfear and forced to labor like a slave."

Purusartha: "I'm sorry to hear that..." {Looks to Kromedon and Zhānrén} Please, make yourselves comfortable, there are more chairs to be found in the kitchen..."{Gestures to the kitchen through an adjoining doorway, then he introduces Palenrian.} "This is Palenrian, an off-worlder. He's learning our common tongue but cannot speak much traditional akhenaten."

Samad: "Pleased to meet you both. I see Wrusk is sharing some of his Arak with you, how fortunate!"

Purusartha: "There's plenty here to go around, help yourselves to more glasses in that cabinet over there..." {Points to the cabinet Wrusk stores his liquor in}

[Kromedon: What do you do?]

p3sent
08-04-2014, 06:33 AM
After the situation asserts itself he fights down a panic. If they wanted him dead he would be already, it is easier to carry a corpse away than a living person, not that they can't kill him after interrogating him. Times like these makes him wonder where he went wrong in his life…

He tries to feel how much freedom of movement he has, check if they took his sword and dagger from him, and see if he can move his hands enough to remove his gag, all without alerting his captors. If he could free his dagger then he could start working on the ropes holding him onto the Rothe, and if he could ungag himself he could send up a flare in hope someone notices it.

Meanwhile there’s the thing with Izel and Crusher. The thugs were lying in wait so they either got their orders just because of his assignment from Izel indeed, or because the oldman overheard something of what he spoke with Lysen and called for them. Rather extreme in either case. If those two indeed put on a show of being enemies then that should narrow down the identity of this Crusher, if what the thug said is indeed believable.

But right now he should instead focus on the tasks at hand, which means getting off the Rothe before they reach their destination.

[Sleight of Hand check: 18]
[Bardic lore, Izel’s enemies that'd fit: 14]

Zemile
08-04-2014, 11:57 AM
Kromedon Broadbeard
Kromedon waits patiently while Samad handles the initial introductions, and raises an eyebrow when Wrusk exits the room, though he says nothing. The mention of chairs does not prompt a response, but he does sprout half a grin when alcohol and help yourselves end up in the same context. "I am Kromedon Broadbeard, I have come to see Wrusk on some family business, but it can wait for a moment. I would never consider being so rude as to turn down a drink offered by a gracious host." He heads over to the cabinet to pick out whichever glass is easiest to grab, dwarfs may like top shelf liquor, but they do not like it to actually be on the top shelf.

Narayan
08-04-2014, 01:06 PM
[Sleight of Hand check: 18]



[Sleight of Hand: Success... The thugs only performed a cursory search before they threw you up atop the Rothe. Your dagger, concealed within a fold of your coat remains hidden. Your slight of hand check is good enough to slide your hands around beneath your body and retrieve it. Of course you have little trouble removing the gag and/hood over your head. However the binds strapped over you and the blanket will be more difficult. You'll literally have to cut through the blanket to reach the rope and that may easily catch the notice of the thugs.

Make another Sleight of Hand, opposed by spot checks from the thug, to accomplish that. If you succeed you will free yourself from those ropes and fall from the Rothe, though you will still be shackled. The type of shackles you are wearing do not require a key, yet it normally takes another person to knock out the pin that holds them clasped.]

[Bardic Lore: Partial Success... The name 'Crusher' is known to you. It refers to an infamous, almost mythical crime lord who rules the underworld in your small city. Very few ever claim to have laid eyes on him, and those that have all report differently, making it likely that 'Crusher' usually disguises his true appearance. Other things you've heard about Crusher is that he's absolutely ruthless enforcing discipline among those who serve him. His favorite pastime is breaking bones of those who displease him, and his preferred means of execution is crushing skulls with his bare hands. The last thing you know about Crusher is that he's apparently lived as long as your tribe has lived in this cavern, perhaps longer, making it unlikely that he's an Underfolk unless several different men assumed his identity over the course of a few centuries.[B]]

p3sent
08-04-2014, 08:11 PM
He has no wish to meet this Crusher, whoever he might be, even if stories tend to be exaggerated or often made up, so failing is hardly an option. He deftly works through the blanket and at the ropes, meanwhile thinking of how to face them once he did get off. If his sword is somewhere on the Rothe then he likes his chances, if not... Then that will make things a little more complicated. With his hands shackled casting magic could be harder too, and fumbling around wouldn't give him a very strong presence. On the other hand, he might be able to just trick them somehow, as they don’t seem to be the type to do much thinking indeed.

[Sleight of Hand, blanket and ropes: 25]

Hillsy
08-05-2014, 06:53 PM
"It was a vision Burrai. I prayed to Valkauna for guidance. I believe that ambush actually happened and Valkauna wants us to investigate that tragedy. I remember glimpsing an interesting formation of stones near the ambush site... it looked sort of like a giant hand? Perhaps we can ask around and see if anyone has heard of it?"

Burrai leans forward, elbows on knees, scraping the sleep from his eyes with both hands. He'd slept all night sitting on the chest and know his back ached, his rump was numb, and all the edges of his frame had been chaffed by his clothes. Still, he'd had worse nights sleep. An adventurer's life was similar to that of the mercenary or soldier: if you slept one night in ten in a bed, you called yourself blessed. But he was younger then, and his aches didn't seem so soaked into his bones.

It took a moment for Elloral's words to leech through the woolen dregs of sleep. He opened one eye, stared long and hard at her own tired expression. ~A fine pair to tackle the Black Network. Two dwarves past their prime and bags under our eyes large enough to fill with gems.~ He shakes his head, trying to rattle his senses into order.

"OK. I'll add that to our list of tasks for today, after Rol and Jabbar. Rol's probably travelled the areas around Cabarda as much as anyone, I'll see if he's...." A great yawn nearly takes the top of Burrai's head off. "....he's seen the formation. Hopefully it won't be far. But if you're right, and the Black Network have some kind of truce with the Vulkyrie, that's a...." Another cavernous yawn. "......a ominous development."


{Smirks} "You should bathe Burrai, I'll help you put your armor back on when your done."

Burrai takes a sniff, and the acrid hint of sleep sweat and travel dust is evident. He shrugs and heads for the baths. On the way out, he picks up a dagger and palms it in one hand. "Sit on that chest Elloral. And if anyone tries to move you scream like Asmodeus himself just tried to lift your skirt...."

**************************

Bathed, strapped back into his hastily cleaned armour, and with the last heel of bread from his breakfast in hand, Burrai steps out of Putyuk's Rooms and into the full disappointment of noon. Overhead, banks of grey hold a strong line against the sun, bathing the town in a washed out, dull light. The shadows all around have fuzzy, weak edges as though they were little more than dark mists slowly dissolving. People moved around, bustling to whatever appointments they had that day. Burrai leadsthem both to their own.

The dreary afternoon seems to have infected the townsfolk too. Eyes rarely lift from the floor, as though the heavy clouds weighed them down. Or perhaps its the looming monolith of the Vulkyrie Tower that they don't want to see. Either way, Burrai and Elloral plod along in silence, navigating the eddies of miserable humanity flowing through the streets.

Burrai stops outside the Twelve Apple Alehouse, appraising the building one more time, counting off the exits and entrances, anyway out should Rol's reason's for meeting be less than virtuous. He loosens his heavy axe in it's loop, his shield on his back, checks one last time that Elloral has the journal safely tucked in it's pouch and on the same side as him, then leads them out from under the oppressive heavens and into the alehouse.

Narayan
08-05-2014, 08:44 PM
Kromedon waits patiently while Samad handles the initial introductions, and raises an eyebrow when Wrusk exits the room, though he says nothing. The mention of chairs does not prompt a response, but he does sprout half a grin when alcohol and help yourselves end up in the same context. "I am Kromedon Broadbeard, I have come to see Wrusk on some family business, but it can wait for a moment. I would never consider being so rude as to turn down a drink offered by a gracious host." He heads over to the cabinet to pick out whichever glass is easiest to grab, dwarfs may like top shelf liquor, but they do not like it to actually be on the top shelf.

Samad and Zhānrén each carry out a chair from the kitchen for themselves, leaving the remaining padded chair for Kromedon.

Samad: -Speaks to Palenrian and Purusartha- "If you don't mind me asking, why do you both look like hell?"

Purusartha: {Chuckles} "It's a long story." He says in a tone that doesn't really invite further questions.

Samad: {gets the hint he doesn't really wanna talk about it and changes the subject}"I'd like to introduce my friend Zhānrén. She was born in Caishia but lived a large part of her life here on our continent of Akhenaten."

Purusartha: {Smiles} -speaks to Zhānrén- "Pleased to meet you."

Palenrian: {Nods} -speaks to Zhānrén- "Pleased to meet you."

Zhānrén: {Smiles} -speaks to Purusartha and Palenrian- "It looks like you're both experienced adventurers, I'd love to hear more about you?"

Palenrian and Purusartha exchange another look.

Purusartha: "First we should let your dwarven friend speak with Wrusk."

As if on que, Wrusk returns, without the pet monkey.

Wrusk: "In case anyone wonders, I don't actually own that monkey... it was left here with me some time ago. I promised someone I would care for it until they returned. I'm likely to strangle it if I have to keep that little rascal for much longer." {Clears his throat} "So sir Dwarf, why is it that you've come to see me? Feel free to speak freely, I keep no secrets from Purusartha or Palenrian, they are trustworthy."

[Kromedon: What do you do?]

Narayan
08-05-2014, 11:03 PM
Thug 1: (Spot Check, DC 25: = 14, Fail)

Thug 2: (Spot Check, DC 25: = 6, Possible Fumble)(Fumble Check: = 11, Fumble)

Neither of the thugs notice you cutting the ropes, and while you are about to fall off the Rothe Thug 2 distracts both of them.

Thug 2: "Oh look!"

Thug 1: "What?"

Thug 2: "It's Moruk, the half-Orog!"

Thug 1: "Oh wow! What's he doing?"

Thug 2: "Looks like he's trying to gather a crowd and preach more about his god... what was his name again?"

Thug 1: "It was Ghauna... something... I don't recall? Everytime he appears and tries to preach the Warmages order his arrest... but Moruk somehow vanishes without a trace? They've never been able to catch him."

Thug 2: "I'm going to try and get closer and hear what he has to say!"

Thug 1: "But the prisoner?"

Thug 2: "You stay!"

You hear Thug 2 move away.

Thug 1: "Damnit! Why does he get to have all the fun... No I'm going also!"

The Rothe gets jerked to one side momentarily as Thug 1 ties it to a post and then also moves off after thug 2. Meanwhile, you cut yourself free of the Rothe and fall unto the ground. Once you unroll yourself from the blanket you see that you are in a rather low-class area of the city on its outskirts, partially abandoned, known to be an area rife with crime, pestilence and disease. A haven for smugglers and thugs. It is also rather close to Shahryar's square...

You see the two thugs make their way into a small crowd nearby. In its midst you glimpse an imposing Underfolk who must be the half-Orog, dressed in a dark purple-robe, arms raised high as his voice carries with a strange oratory.

Moruk: "All creatures have their place, and all are fit to wield power. Those who hunt weed out the weak and strengthen the stock of all. Those who rebel or who walk apart find new ways and try new things and do most to advance their races. Creatures of power best house the energy of life, which Ghaunadaur reveres and represents. Make sacrifices to the Eye, persuade others to sacrifice themselves to Ghaunadaur or in service of the Eye, further knowledge and fear of Ghaunadaur, and in the end give yourself to Ghaunadaur in unresisting self-sacrifice. Convert all beings to the worship of Ghaunadaur. Slay all clergy of other faiths, plundering their temples and holdings for wealth to better your own lot and to further the worship of Ghaunadaur!"

[Ersun: What do you do?]

p3sent
08-06-2014, 04:14 AM
First things first, he quickly glances at himself and the Rothe to see if he got all his possessions or the thugs do carry some of it, his scabbard and sword most important of all. He retrieves what he can from the animal, he doesn’t linger for long however, he leaves the Rothe behind and looks for the nearest spot where’d be in cover from the thugs, although hiding in an alley or house would work best. Long enough for him to take his shackles off, he will try to take them off with the aid of a simple spell, Mage Hand, as technically only the pins have to be moved to be free of the damned things. Thinking about it, that shouldn’t take very long at all.

He’d gladly take the Rothe along out of petty revenge, gods know they’d deserve it, not that the gods care. But the more prudent thing is to leave it as it is, it’d make them notice his sneaking off much earlier, heck if he leaves it as it is and they only glance at it, they might think nothing changed. Sweet revenge… but it is a thing best served cold, so he resists acting on the impulse.

Maybe he could ask for help, but maybe he’d only dig himself deeper. He expects most people here simply wouldn’t care, and watch the spectacle between him and the thugs. No, it is better if he tries by himself first, and if he does need help better ask for it privately. Folks can be weird, the more of them you ask for something the more they expect that somebody else will do instead of them.

After that, what to do afterwards is less obvious, first of all the thugs might find him and try to confront him. He wonders if he won’t be found at once whether they will look for him by themselves or hurry to get help and inform the rest of them... Trying to save their own pride and hide, or do the best for their organization and job.

Zemile
08-06-2014, 04:40 AM
Kromedon BroadbeardKromedon does not appear especially interested in the chair, though being a dwarf he stands eye to eye with those who are seated anyway. He does appear to be interested in the offered drink, and busies himself with that while small talk is exchanged briefly, and introductions continue. When Wrusk returns, Kromedon takes one last sip before making his reply. "Hello Wrusk, my name is Kromedon Broadbeard... I believe my family name should be familiar to you? My great uncle Branstov Broadbeard told me to seek you out. He knew you in his later years of adventuring, though it has been several years since you've seen each other... Nevertheless, I come in his name to seek information as a favor."

Narayan
08-06-2014, 09:55 PM
Burrai leans forward, elbows on knees, scraping the sleep from his eyes with both hands. He'd slept all night sitting on the chest and know his back ached, his rump was numb, and all the edges of his frame had been chaffed by his clothes. Still, he'd had worse nights sleep. An adventurer's life was similar to that of the mercenary or soldier: if you slept one night in ten in a bed, you called yourself blessed. But he was younger then, and his aches didn't seem so soaked into his bones.

It took a moment for Elloral's words to leech through the woolen dregs of sleep. He opened one eye, stared long and hard at her own tired expression. ~A fine pair to tackle the Black Network. Two dwarves past their prime and bags under our eyes large enough to fill with gems.~ He shakes his head, trying to rattle his senses into order.

"OK. I'll add that to our list of tasks for today, after Rol and Jabbar. Rol's probably travelled the areas around Cabarda as much as anyone, I'll see if he's...." A great yawn nearly takes the top of Burrai's head off. "....he's seen the formation. Hopefully it won't be far. But if you're right, and the Black Network have some kind of truce with the Vulkyrie, that's a...." Another cavernous yawn. "......a ominous development."

Burrai takes a sniff, and the acrid hint of sleep sweat and travel dust is evident. He shrugs and heads for the baths. On the way out, he picks up a dagger and palms it in one hand. "Sit on that chest Elloral. And if anyone tries to move you scream like Asmodeus himself just tried to lift your skirt...."

**************************

Bathed, strapped back into his hastily cleaned armour, and with the last heel of bread from his breakfast in hand, Burrai steps out of Putyuk's Rooms and into the full disappointment of noon. Overhead, banks of grey hold a strong line against the sun, bathing the town in a washed out, dull light. The shadows all around have fuzzy, weak edges as though they were little more than dark mists slowly dissolving. People moved around, bustling to whatever appointments they had that day. Burrai leadsthem both to their own.

The dreary afternoon seems to have infected the townsfolk too. Eyes rarely lift from the floor, as though the heavy clouds weighed them down. Or perhaps its the looming monolith of the Vulkyrie Tower that they don't want to see. Either way, Burrai and Elloral plod along in silence, navigating the eddies of miserable humanity flowing through the streets.

Burrai stops outside the Twelve Apples Alehouse, appraising the building one more time, counting off the exits and entrances, anyway out should Rol's reason's for meeting be less than virtuous. He loosens his heavy axe in it's loop, his shield on his back, checks one last time that Elloral has the journal safely tucked in it's pouch and on the same side as him, then leads them out from under the oppressive heavens and into the alehouse.

The Twelve Apples Alehouse is a clean and well-kept establishment. Open shutters let in the breeze, and carry out the scent of fresh apple-pastries, spiced apple cider, and many other delicious offerings (most of which are made with apples). The common room is rather crowded with the mid day meal crowd and you have a bit of difficulty spotting Rol, even though there are no booth's or dark corners to hide in. That's because he's wearing a heavy hooded cloak that completely conceals everything except his broad dwarvish stature.

All told there are a dozen tables within the long, drafty, common hall that seat at least four times as many patrons. Every table in the hall has a bowl of complimentary apples in the center. Currently there's about thirty other people inside with only a few unoccupied tables. All the voices inside are cheerful, friendly and rowdy, with none of the usual sulkiness and depression that linger in other taverns. ...That is, except for Rol who sits alone beside two other empty tables in the far end of the hall, ensuring no one approaching will escape his notice. As he spots you both he waves you over quickly.

Settling into chairs beside each other you and Elloral notice that Rol appears to be sweating and very much on edge as he raises his head to look at you both, but then lowers it quickly again as a table maid moves over.

Table Maid: "Hello and welcome!" {Passes out three menu's} "Please take a minute to look over our offerings and let me know when you're ready to order." She says.

Elloral: {Smiles} "Thank you very much, I'd like a cider to start with."

The maid nods, waits for the other dwarves to chime in, but then moves away when they don't. Burrai and Rol seem all-business at the moment.

Rol lifts his head again, evidently fearful even within the heavy shadows of his hood.

Rol: -mutters- "I've been such a fool!"

[Burrai: What do you do?]

Hillsy
08-07-2014, 06:31 PM
"I've been such a fool!"


Burrai looks into the dark cowl and bites back a rebuke. Rol is just a merchant, caught it seems in dark events well beyond his experience. Sometimes there's call for the heavy brutality of the axe. Other's, the more subtle knife slid between the ribs. Now was one of those times.

"Well, we've all been there." He says, sliding the mug of cider across the table as the maid places it down. "Being a fool isn't restricted to humans, despite their efforts to monopolise the title." He leans back, peers at Rol through the folds of scars around his left eye.

"Just start at the beginning. We've time for it."

Narayan
08-08-2014, 12:12 PM
After retrieving your sword and scabbard you slink away into an abandoned building close by. There in the dark you whisper your Mage Hand spell to remove your shackles. Meanwhile, through a crack in a shuttered window, you witness the gathering around Moruk. His voice is largely inaudible to you now that you are indoors, but you can see how strangely persuasive he is. The crowd is smiling and nodding, close to grinning and cheering, and continues to grow as more and more of the curious are drawn in. After only a brief period, it's tripled in size to nearly fifty strong....

Moruk is intriguing, there is no doubt about that. Naturally intimidating by appearance alone, his voice is altogether different. It wasn't the timbre of malice you heard woven within his words (though his faith sounds quite tyrannical indeed) ...it was devotion. Moruk is a man of faith, maybe even a martyr, perhaps even ...a prophet?

As that thought occurs to you, you suddenly see several flashes of light a short distance from the crowd. Warmages have appeared, dressed in their armored robes, ready to do battle with the intruder! Moruk seems to sense their arrival without looking, raising his arms higher, intensifying his tempo and his fervor, completely unafraid.

The crowd however, regards the arrival of the Warmages with obvious displeasure. They spit and curse at them, shaking their fists. A few bolt, hoping to avoid arrest. The Warmages close in then, casting spells to debilitate and disable the crowd as much as possible. Many of those nearest to them are suddenly held by magical paralysis, collapse into induced sleep, or find themselves trapped by magical iron cages or ropes.

Those who weren't incapacitated seem overtaken with rage. They hurl stones, daggers and other weapons before they charge towards them to do battle! For a moment you expect the scene to become very bloody indeed, but an invisible Wall of Force is raised by the Warmages which easily deflects all the missile weapons targeted at them.

Those within who were in the motions of a charge bash themselves against the invisible wall one after another in a frenzy. You even note the two thugs who entered the crowd behaving aggressively towards the Warmages, which doesn't make any sense? Moruk's sermon seems unnaturally persuasive on the listeners. Some sort of dark magic seems to be at work here!

[Ersun: What do you do?]

Narayan
08-08-2014, 01:15 PM
Kromedon BroadbeardKromedon does not appear especially interested in the chair, though being a dwarf he stands eye to eye with those who are seated anyway. He does appear to be interested in the offered drink, and busies himself with that while small talk is exchanged briefly, and introductions continue. When Wrusk returns, Kromedon takes one last sip before making his reply. "Hello Wrusk, my name is Kromedon Broadbeard... I believe my family name should be familiar to you? My great uncle Branstov Broadbeard told me to seek you out. He knew you in his later years of adventuring, though it has been several years since you've seen each other... Nevertheless, I come in his name to seek information as a favor."

Wrusk: "Glad to meet you Kromedon!" Wrusk says extending his arm for a hearty shake. "Yes I remember Branstov fondly! How is the old warrior?!"

Kromedon: "His age is finally catching up to him, or else he'd be here himself I'm sure. It was my aunts idea that I come in his stead, and it was a mighty argument before he finally agreed."

Wrusk: "I'd like to see him again, if only just once more before we're both too infirm to make a long journey... but that will have to wait until troubles here have abated, and there's no likelihood that will happen anytime soon..." {Frowns} "In any case, what information do you seek Kromedon?"

Kromedon: "I have come looking for a lost cousin, a half dwarf by the name of Ivar Silver'Rune. My aunt is worried about him since he recently left quite abruptly. It was reported that he was headed south leaving the borders of the Torgrimm Dwarfholds (https://sion.obsidianportal.com/wikis/torgrimm-dwarfholds) by way of the northern road to Masaeus. I expect he came through here yesterday, if he isn't indeed still here?"

"Ivar stands 5'6, a tad on the thin side for a half-dwarf. He's heavily bearded with copper-toned hair, dressed in billowy dwarven merchants garb of fine make in layers of black and grey, beneath which are runic tattoos spread across his skin everywhere except his face. He commonly wears two silver signet rings and a emerald pendant. He also carries a masterwork iron buckler strapped to his right arm, bearing his family crest in raised silver filigree. A dwarven war axe hangs from his belt, with a trio of crossbow bolts in a thigh quiver on the opposite side. Perhaps one of you might have seen him?" You ask glancing about the room.

Palenrian stares at you with surprise and Purusartha actually raises his palm to his face in reflex, as a gesture of sorrow. Wrusks craggy face seems to age even more before your eyes as a look of pity comes over him and he has to lean more heavily upon his cane.

Wrusk: "Perhaps you should sit Kromedon. I have sad news about your cousin."

[Kromedon: What do you do?]

p3sent
08-08-2014, 07:01 PM
He watches the ongoings curiously as he gets lost in deeper thoughts. Dilemmas upon dilemmas…

This would be so interesting to watch… yes, he can guess Moruk will get away just as he recently heard he always does, he seems powerful and confident enough to pull it off again just the same. The most interesting part rather would be what happens afterwards. How will the mob take the leave of their preacher, and what will the warmages do about them? He has heard that Moruk tends to show up, preach about and escape before, but nothing about this manipulation of the crowd, which is strange.

On the other hand, if he wants to slip away, now would be the time, neither the thugs nor the warmages would pay much attention to him. He can’t guess for how long this might go on either.

On another hand, if he stays he could give up the two thugs to the warmages. However some of the warmages could be working for Izel, who could be working with Crusher, and hence have something to do with his kidnapping.

~Am I getting way too paranoid, or is it really as hard to trust anyone of authority as it presently seems?~

He really feels alone and hunted in his own city, but he supposes that’s what he gets for roaming around all his life instead of enduring the chore of simple life. Not that simple tribesmen know anything more than he does, but at least they have more friends who they can trust. If he had stayed and indulged the warmages, he’d be one of them properly now, and know them much better, and wouldn’t have to take so many blind jumps today. But there is no use thinking of Ifs, especially of such big and useless ones.

If he manages to convince them of the thugs, and actually make some connections among the warmages, maybe even an ally, that would be a nice gain right now. Most of them should have a hostile disposition towards that Crusher, and those who don’t… well even they would have to put up a show in front of their colleagues. Not that he believes Izel would be the kind to share his misdealing with a crime-boss to anyone. No, he seems to speak of his doings on a strictly need-to-know basis. But then the man is a damn good liar, could he mislead him to assume so? He most certainly hopes not, that would be quite a feat.

His head starts to hurt and he decides he hates conspiracy theories. They are a downward spiral, he must break out from it. The cowardly thing to do would be legging the heck out of the city and never coming back, leaving all its troubles to itself. But even he has too many ties here to just forget about them, surprisingly, and more pride and curiosity too. So he has to jump, one way or another.

His heart feels like it’s pumping in his throat. Too many thinking leads to conspiracy theories, but too little leads to carelessness… trust is the sound of the grave dog’s bark after all. There are two options: Izel had a hand in the kidnapping, or doesn’t.

First, let’s assume he had. In that case Izel already knows about it, and wants something nasty from him. However Izel can’t know for sure how much he knows or has guessed about his quite possible involvement. If the thugs get interrogated, they don’t know of Izel’s actual involvement in this scheme, and if they do blabber about Izel’s connection to the warmages, that is still a dubious proof, and they can’t know that Ersun is also aware of it.

Second, he assumes Izel had no hand in it. If he indeed has some connections to Crusher, he will learn about the kidnapping anyway. If he doesn’t learn from Crusher, that’s either because their relationship isn’t that strong, or because there’ll be some kind of friction between them concerning Ersun. If Izel doesn’t know about anything, then he will be very confused, but probably won’t take his frustration out on Ersun.

If it comes down to worst and both of them are involved, then they might expect that Ersun guessed that they are, but can’t know for sure at all. If he does tell about the thugs to the warmages, that would be somewhat unexpected, could make them doubt. If it’s not as bad as that, even then there is still no reason not to tell on thugs as long as he doesn’t blabber out everything that happened today, and assuming he wouldn’t be so paranoid and guessing that everyone is out to get him, telling about the weird kidnapping would be not something that could be held against him.

He is training as a duskblade, in theory he belongs with the warmages. Hence, it wouldn’t be weird for him to show up and help, would it be? If he takes up the role naturally, one he often tried to take not-so seriously, they should, they might go along with it. Once they recognize him as a fellow, somewhat, it will be easier to bring up the thugs, and gain a more stable footing in this chaos. He just has to play his cards right, and this might even work out. He takes a deep breath, jump it is.

He steps outside, leaving the shackles behind the doors. As he passes the Rothe he glances at it to ensure it is still tied safely, and the remains of the ropes he cut are still under it, it could serve as some kind of proof later. He jogs to the line of warmages, careful not to hurry enough to seem like a charging madman, and waves to them.

“I’m a mage.” He says to the closest one, and with that he begins casting with an eerie melodious tune. [Silent Image]

High above and slightly behind the warmages appears an elder beholder descending from the ceiling in its whole glorious aberration. As it gets lower it fixes its eyes on the mob, after which the eyes start to menacingly glow. With a little luck the image could scare the people enough to make them snap out of whatever trance they are in.

[Spellcraft, magic of Moruk: 16]
[Bardic Lore, gossips and events in the city regarding Moruk, 15]

Zemile
08-08-2014, 07:08 PM
Kromedon BroadbeardKromedon takes the leftover seat that had been offered to him. "So you have seen him? Any news is better than no news, the uncertainty is always worse. From what I've seen of this city, I have a feeling this is going to be very bad news." He finishes the last half of his drink in one gulp and sets the glass on his knee, still in hand.

Narayan
08-08-2014, 08:18 PM
Burrai looks into the dark cowl and bites back a rebuke. Rol is just a merchant, caught it seems in dark events well beyond his experience. Sometimes there's call for the heavy brutality of the axe. Other's, the more subtle knife slid between the ribs. Now was one of those times.

"Well, we've all been there." He says, sliding the mug of cider across the table as the maid places it down. "Being a fool isn't restricted to humans, despite their efforts to monopolize the title." He leans back, peers at Rol through the folds of scars around his left eye.

"Just start at the beginning. We've time for it."

Rol: {Half-Chuckles} "Do we really? Even now, at this very moment, the sands of time drain through the eternal hourglass... how do we know if there are more grains still to fall then those which already lay below?" {Pauses} "Is there time enough in our lives to create a better world? Or are we just fooling ourselves grasping for hope as we all slowly sink into the quicksand of fate?"

Elloral: "I understand despair Rol... Burrai does as well I assure you, but we are dwarves! Our ancestors wouldn't expect us to lay down so easily. Please tell us what you know. Start from the beginning as Burrai says."

Rol: {Nods} "You recall what I told you last night about my grandfather Thorol leading other Hill Dwarves from our hometown in the battle to retake Kurukshetra over four hundred years ago yes? Well I didn't tell you everything..."

"The reason Thorol was the only survivor isn't because the other Hill Dwarves died in battle against the evil forces of Skull Mountain. The closest they got was a rendezvous spot where they camped to wait for Torgrimm's army. During the night, while he was presumed to be sleeping, Thorol witnessed one of his fellow Hill Dwarves speaking to a Mountain Dwarf who approached out of hiding flanked by two creatures he could only describe as lesser demons. Thorol recognized The Mountain Dwarf as a young prince of the former king named Beloch."

Rol pauses then, searching your faces for signs of disbelief.

"...I realize that may be hard to believe, but it actually makes sense when you think about it logically. Kurukshetra is probably the grandest fortress in all of Sion, the crown jewel of dwarven engineering, completely impenetrable against conventional assault. Even Torgrimm, the kings own cousin, with an army several thousand strong, couldn't retake it and he was privy to all its secrets! It stands to reason then that what fell Kurukshetra in the first place wasn't a conventional attack, but rather an unimaginable betrayal. The only ones who could have pulled that off so well would have to be the kings own kin!"

"In any case, Beloch supposedly spoke orders about a plan to lure Torgrimm into an ambush using my grandfather as a stooge. Thorol was the only one from Andar who'd met Torgrimm before so that's why they involved them in their plan. Of course, Thorol had no intention of going along with it. He actually crept through the camp after Beloch left and butchered the other Hill Dwarves before the sun rose."

"Ask yourselves, how could any attack against Kurukshetra hope to succeed when there were other mountain dwarves within its halls ready to resist who also knew about its secret tunnels, hidden traps and deadly defensive siege-weaponry? Thorol knew there could be no victory against such resistance and sought out Torgrimm to warn him."

"Torgrimm however refused to listen and ordered the attack anyway. Thousands died, all because of one dwarf's pride! It's true Beloch and the rest were careful not to show themselves during the battle, sending out their legions of humanoid fodder to face their former kin instead. But the tactics they employed were perfectly planned at every stage to thwart the dwarves because they knew exactly what Torgrimm would do before he did it."

"After witnessing the slaughter, my grandfather returned to Andar claiming his fellow townsfolk died like hero's because the truth was too awful to believe. That was a long, long time ago but it's clear to me now those others Thorol killed were agents of what we call the Black Network. Thorol didn't tell me that story until he was lying on his death bed... At the time I didn't want to believe it, but over time I started to realize I've always suspected my hometown of Andar is complicit with the Black Network. It's the only explanation for why it remains when several other towns near to Skull Mountain have fallen."

"Torgrimm was a fool allowing his pride to obscure the truth but I've come to realize I'm no different. I've lived my life in a state of apathy, willing to whisper and complain but never once doing anything about my suspicions. I'm a coward! I should be ashamed to carry my grandfathers surname." He mutters hanging his head low for a moment.

Elloral: {Takes a deep breath} "That is quite a story Rol, but as you say that was a very long time ago. Lets concentrate on what you know from your own life. Why do you look so fearful today?"

Rol: "I see now that Gilbur is one of them! Which makes me wonder about many others we've met in the span of our partnership. I think he suspects I suspect him, but I decided telling you was more important then trying to keep up false pretenses."

"Gilbur expects me waiting for him at The Blessed Barrel for lunch right now but I slipped out the back, bought this cloak off the back of a random stranger and made my way here as quickly as I could. Can you help me?!" He asks, looking between you both pleadingly.

[Burrai: What do you do?]

Narayan
08-09-2014, 03:40 PM
The mob is surprised by the beholder. Their instincts tell them to cower in fear, distracting them from the implanted suggestions in their mind.

Mob: (Will Saving Throw, DC 20: = 21, Success)

The Beholder has the desired effect. The mob regains their senses, appearing to wake into a living nightmare.... surrounded by an invisible wall of force, several WarMages and an elder beholder bearing down on them!

Moruk seems to sense his loss of control over the crowd. He lowers his arms, glares angrily towards the WarMages and appears to be swallowed up by a black hole beneath his feet. Almost instantly he is gone.

[As soon as Moruk vanishes, you dispel your illusion]

The WarMages glance at each other with mixed expressions of frustration and relief. The closest one to you removes their hood. To your surprise it is an attractive woman, actually rather young to be wearing the robes. Her hair is glossy black, woven into a long braid. Her eyes are hazel and very beautiful. She nods thankfully but there is nothing demure about her persona. This one is brave and very confident.

Female WarMage: "Great idea!"

The lead WarMage gestures to the others to maintain the wall. "Keep them contained!" He barks before he stalks over towards you. You know this one by reputation but you've never met him before. His name is Kairos, regarded much like a living legend. Very few from the warrior-caste ever become a WarMage. Kairos is the first to hold a vote on the council. He occupies the seat of internal security, which by the look of him suits him perfectly.

You'd guess his age to be mid-forties, yet he still stands close to six feet tall and looks strong enough to wrestle a hook horror the way he strides under the weight of his extraordinarily bulky armored robes. His face is far from friendly as he scowls down at you, flint-grey eyes calmly staring with unrelenting pressure.

Kairos: "Who are you?"

[Ersun: What do you do?]

p3sent
08-09-2014, 06:39 PM
This is a surprise to him, he expected some of the people to snap out from it, but not the whole lot of them. It was a far shot, and he would be prideful if he wouldn’t know better, luck had the most to do with this result.

But glancing at the lass at least he sees some nice things too today. She is indeed quite young, makes him wonder if its talent, or someone’s wing thats raising her up. He nods at her in recognition and gives her a tired smile. A smile that reflects this wasn’t the beginning and not the end either, it was a nice victory but the war’s not over. Not for him anyway, luck or no, this was the easy part of this scene.

As Kairos approaches he gives him a more serious nod. He will have to be composed for this one, reminds himself just how much first impressions count. He is always careful to control his stature and body language, but considering how much he went through just recently he makes a few quick mental reminders, he can’t afford to fall apart. He can’t seem too relieved or confused, he isn’t just some poor wretch caught up in some unfortunate circumstances, nor should he look like a dutiful goon happy to merely serve. He should be his own character, composed, but not overconfident.

“I’m Ersun Durim, and you would be Kairos, pleased to make your acquaintance despite the circumstances.” He says with a grim smirk. He is careful to watch the body language of Kairos himself too. He is a well-set man, joke would be on Ersun if he happened to be the Crusher, or would it be?

~Great, now I will be looking for signs in every strong man speculating if they could be Crusher.~

"I would die for a sip of water..." He says with an approachable attidute, and slightly wipes his brow. He does hope that he recieves some, there are few smoother ways to make a person feel obliged to be more acceptive with you than getting them to aid you with something simple first, it’s like an investment. He sighs and continues.

“I do have remaining business with two of the men inside” He gestures towards the force walls. “I do understand some tact and patience will be required as you still have a plan for the mob. However those men would be my Kidnappers.” He explains with a hand resting on his hip, and with the other makes a gesture with his wrist as if hinting how he was bound.

He also makes sure to remain aware of those warmages who could listen in to their conversation since their reactions might give hints at where he can and can’t push even if Kairos himself doesn’t.

Narayan
08-09-2014, 07:06 PM
Kromedon BroadbeardKromedon takes the leftover seat that had been offered to him. "So you have seen him? Any news is better than no news, the uncertainty is always worse. From what I've seen of this city, I have a feeling this is going to be very bad news." He finishes the last half of his drink in one gulp and sets the glass on his knee, still in hand.

Wrusk: "Ivar died last night. We are holding his body for safekeeping."

Purusartha: -adds- "We believe he was poisoned. A mis-labeled or bad batch of potions. It's rare but it happens sometimes."

Zhānrén: {Raises a brow} (Sense Motive: = 10) -Speaking to Purusartha and Palenrian- "Does that have anything to do with the pair of you looking like you've just crawled off a battlefield?"

Samad: {Jerks his head around to stare at Zhānrén} "Zhānrén!"

Zhānrén: {Holds up her hands defensively} "What? It's a fair question. Kromedon has a right to know!"

[Kromedon: What do you do?]

Narayan
08-09-2014, 08:02 PM
Female WarMage: {Raises Brow} "Kidnapped?!"

Kairos: "You don't presently appear to be anyone's prisoner. I've heard your name before, you were the boy who watched Shala die weren't you?"

Female WarMage: {Opens her mouth in shocked embarrassment} "Father!"

Kairos: {Gives the girl a warning look and she instantly shuts up} -Speaks again to Ersun- "I will have more questions for you, do not attempt to leave." He says matter-of-factly with gruff authority.

Kairos turns his back then and steps away, barking more commands to the others.

Female WarMage: {Frowns} "Apologies! ...my father sometimes lacks for tact. My name is Ania." (Pronounced A-nIah) "I'm sorry about your friend Shala. I remember that tragedy, though at the time I was still a teenager. You must not have been much older though, we appear close in age?" She comments.

Just then you sense movement behind you and turn to observe several dozen guards of the warrior-caste running towards you, weapons at the ready.

Ania: "Ah, here come the guards! Their response time is improving..." She remarks.

[Ersun: What do you do?]

Zemile
08-10-2014, 12:20 AM
Kromedon BroadbeardKromedon raises both eyebrows, one-upping Zhānrén's single eyebrow purely by accident, because he's not looking at her, focusing instead on Wrusk. "Last night? I guess I really should have hurried like my aunt suggested. You have the body here? I would like to look at it when we're done here." He then turns to Purusartha. "Ivar was poisoned accidentally? Do you know where he got the potion that poisoned him? Zhānrén has a point, you two do look like you've just been through hell and back. Were you with Ivar when he died?"

p3sent
08-10-2014, 05:29 AM
He learned not to that topic upon himself by now. People have been trying to jab at him with so often that he figured it’s not worth giving them any joy about it.

“Pleased to meet you too Ania, and don’t worry about it. I’m twenty five.” He says and looks for the two thugs in the mob, as he is at it describes them to Ania.

“There is the Rothe they carried me on, with the ropes I cut under it. I took my shackles off in that house.” He points the places out to her, if he spots the thugs then them also. If they can’t see the things he points out from where they are, then guides her somewhere where they can. Remaining “here” is rather vague after all, and he will remain with a warmage.

He glances at the guards but assumes they are moving for the mob beyond him, not him specifically. Although he does worry they’d just take his thugs away, can’t have that, can he, since he revealed himself.

It feels like he is putting a lot of faith into a stranger, but can’t help it now, better than solely relying on big stern Kairos. Young is actually better, less caged into the rigidness of tribal life, although she would be also the perfect bait to make him reveal more than he should.

Narayan
08-11-2014, 12:06 AM
Kromedon BroadbeardKromedon raises both eyebrows, one-upping Zhānrén's single eyebrow purely by accident, because he's not looking at her, focusing instead on Wrusk. "Last night? I guess I really should have hurried like my aunt suggested. You have the body here? I would like to look at it when we're done here." He then turns to Purusartha. "Ivar was poisoned accidentally? Do you know where he got the potion that poisoned him? Zhānrén has a point, you two do look like you've just been through hell and back. Were you with Ivar when he died?"

Purusartha: -answers Kromedon- "I was not with him no, but another friend of mine was. The potions came from a local mage named Shajarian. Shajarian, however, is also dead." {pauses} "...As you say Kromedon, this city is not safe. Those winged Vulkyrie, and worse if you can believe it... have been preying upon us all! Since last night I've seen many people slain, some of whom were friends!" {swallows} "...Ivar was not well known to me, but I liked him. He was not afraid to speak his mind and always argued for what he thought was right. If you need to blame someone for his death it should be me. I convinced him to help us fight the Vulkyrie. He was not the first to fall, and he won't be the last, but his sacrifice will not be in vain!"

Samad: {Looks very hard at Purusartha and Palenrian, shifting his gaze at last to Wrusk with obvious skepticism} "Are you part of this?"

Wrusk: {Nods} "I am, and proud to say so!"

Samad: "I have no qualms fighting the Vulkyrie in principle, Ishvar knows how long I suffered in their prison... but the practical risks are huge! How do you expect to keep yourselves hidden? How do you expect to protect your families when they start hunting you?"

Palenrian: -interjects an answer of his own- "Risks are inevitable. We accept that, and we understand that some innocents may suffer because we chose to fight... but many more already suffer regardless! That's the whole reason for fighting them in the first place. It's not an easy choice, but its the only choice for a better future!"

[Kromedon: What do you do?]

Zemile
08-11-2014, 04:39 AM
Kromedon BroadbeardKromedon sits and listens, thinking about the others' perspectives for a little while before speaking. "I've only been in this city for about a day, and I don't think I've ever been so afraid for my life. What kind of a city is this that a traveler cannot walk the streets for fear of a spear in the back? I had to take the sewer tunnels to get here, which Samad was kind enough to help with, but the principle of the thing is still mind boggling. If it is like this all the time, it is no wonder you want to be rid of the Vulkyrie, but it does seem like a daunting task. You say Ivar died of accidentally drinking a poisoned potion, then you call it a sacrifice to be not made in vain, which is it? If Ivar was fighting the Vulkyrie, I can't help but wonder what could have possibly convinced him to do so? Is there some grand plan?"

Narayan
08-12-2014, 01:50 AM
Kromedon BroadbeardKromedon sits and listens, thinking about the others' perspectives for a little while before speaking. "I've only been in this city for about a day, and I don't think I've ever been so afraid for my life. What kind of a city is this that a traveler cannot walk the streets for fear of a spear in the back? I had to take the sewer tunnels to get here, which Samad was kind enough to help with, but the principle of the thing is still mind boggling. If it is like this all the time, it is no wonder you want to be rid of the Vulkyrie, but it does seem like a daunting task. You say Ivar died of accidentally drinking a poisoned potion, then you call it a sacrifice to be not made in vain, which is it? If Ivar was fighting the Vulkyrie, I can't help but wonder what could have possibly convinced him to do so? Is there some grand plan?"

Purusartha: "There is much I need to explain about our group and our efforts thus far... However I will not reveal everything just now unless everyone in this room wishes to join the cause?" {Pauses to meet the eyes of each of the newcomers} "I don't expect an answer immediately, for starters please allow me to speak a bit more of Ivar and myself."

"Before Ivar arrived in Masaeus he stopped in the town of Kara to the north. An older Akhenaten man named Vritra approached him beside the banks of the Arosis river. Vritra must have noticed the young dwarf looked troubled, so he offered to share some dwarven whisky with the lad while he fished for his supper. The whisky he had was Goldendrake, no doubt you have heard of it?" {Purusartha waits for your nod and continues}

"They say Goldendrake is the finest dwarven whisky in the world, though I've never had the pleasure of tasting it. Needless to say Ivar must have been quite surprised to see it in the possession of a simple common man like Vritra. Vritra was secretly a smuggler and a bandit however, and thus much wealthier then he appeared. He could afford a lot of the finer things he could easily hide."

"They spoke a while about fathers and sons. After Vritra's bucket was full of fish they headed back into town where they would make a meal out of his catch. However, as soon as they reached Vritra's home riders approached from the street! Vritra warned Ivar to hide, pressing a letter into his hand that he begged he deliver to me before stepping out to confront them. (They must have had someone watching the house waiting for Vritra to return.) The posse was led by a corrupt local sheriff named Hassan. He declared Vritra a conspirator against the Vul and tried to arrest him."

"Vritra threw his catch in the face of the sheriff and tried to make a break for it. He might even have made it were it not for the Vulkyrie watching from above. Vritra was speared through the back by a javelin thrown with the force of a dwarven ballista! Ivar witnessed Vritra die in the street. There was nothing he could do. He had no choice but to slip away then and make good on his word that he would deliver me that letter..." {Reaches into his robes to remove a letter} "...This letter!"

"Vritra was a criminal to be sure, but his group of bandits were the only protection the common people had against the corrupt sheriff, his deputies, and all the informants sent to spy by the Vulfear. I'm not saying I wish to operate by Vritra's example, not at all... but small evils must sometimes be excused for the sake of a greater good!"

"You ask if I have a plan to defeat the Vulkyrie? Well yes, but it's nothing foolproof and sure to succeed... not yet. At this early stage we are still gathering resources and support. Some very powerful people have already provided aid and useful favors. I can also say our group numbers more then those of us in this room..."

{Pauses and rubs the letter in his hand} "Vritra was my father... and far from the best at that. Yet now that he's passed, it saddens me that I won't have the chance to say goodbye. Yet when I imagine Vritra's final hours with Ivar, sharing whiskey and fishing... I think he must have been happy. That at least, brings some comfort to me... but there is something else. This letter hints where my father stashed his horde, a treasure accumulated over a long career robbing the merchant-lords of Vulkh that mercilessly tax the rest of us. I plan to put this treasure to use against the Vulkyrie!"

{Looks at Kromedon} "Had your cousin not honored his word I would not have known where to find it. That is why I say his death was not in vain."

[Kromedon: What do you do?]

Zemile
08-12-2014, 04:09 AM
Kromedon BroadbeardKromedon listens to the story told at length, nodding as appropriate but mostly just drinking. "Ivar was always a bit of an idealist, taking up the causes of others. My aunt was always afraid it would get him killed, I don't think she'll be happy she was right. When you say you want to put the treasure to use against the Vulkyrie, I assume you mean you want to pay people to fight them? I'm always much more interested in fighting for a just cause when I also get payed doing it. I'd need to hear your plan first, and then there are negotiations of course, but in general I agree that the Vulkyrie are too evil and too capricious to be tolerated. If they had killed Ivar it would be a simple choice, but even without vengeance, they're clearly pretty bad."

Narayan
08-12-2014, 03:14 PM
He learned not to that topic upon himself by now. People have been trying to jab at him with so often that he figured it’s not worth giving them any joy about it.

“Pleased to meet you too Ania, and don’t worry about it. I’m twenty five.” He says and looks for the two thugs in the mob, as he is at it describes them to Ania.

“There is the Rothe they carried me on, with the ropes I cut under it. I took my shackles off in that house.” He points the places out to her, if he spots the thugs then them also. If they can’t see the things he points out from where they are, then guides her somewhere where they can. Remaining “here” is rather vague after all, and he will remain with a warmage.

He glances at the guards but assumes they are moving for the mob beyond him, not him specifically. Although he does worry they’d just take his thugs away, can’t have that, can he, since he revealed himself.

It feels like he is putting a lot of faith into a stranger, but can’t help it now, better than solely relying on big stern Kairos. Young is actually better, less caged into the rigidness of tribal life, although she would be also the perfect bait to make him reveal more than he should.

Ania looks at the Rothe, the abandoned house and the pair of thugs. From where you stand though she can't really get a close look. However, you get a sense what she's looking at isn't really what she's looking at. She always keeps your face in the corner of her eye, and listens closely to what you say and how you say it... then she asks a question.

Ania: "Do you have any idea who would want to kidnap you or why?" (Sense Motive: = 19)

Meanwhile, the warrior-caste guards converge around the wall of force. The crowd within is no longer aggressive. Now they are confused and frightened, demanding an explanation, protesting their confinement or else begging to be treated gently.

[Ersun: What do you do?]

Narayan
08-12-2014, 10:35 PM
Purusartha: -responds to Kromedon- "The Vulkyrie may not have killed Ivar directly, but they attacked us in the streets and forced us to scatter. Ivar was wounded and got separated. He drank the potion because the rest of the group was not there to offer healing spells."

"I'd pay any price to see the Vulkyrie overthrown! If you'll help with the cause I have no qualms compensating you. What are your talents exactly?"

Zhānrén: "He's an arcane caster, and a clever one at that."

Purusartha: "It seems you had that in common with your cousin then?" {Smiles} "You know I had quite the debate with Ivar when we first met. It was difficult to convince him about the legitimacy of our cause. In the end I think it was my knowledge of the Vul's lack of respect and deceit towards dwarven-kind that swayed him... which makes me curious what you know about the Vul Kromedon?"

"Ivar explained the Silver'Rune family were merchants. Is that the same with your family Kromedon? If you don't mind me asking?"

[Kromedon: What do you do?]

Zemile
08-13-2014, 04:26 AM
Kromedon BroadbeardKromedon chuckles a little when Zhānrén calls him clever. "The Broadbeards are mostly craftsmen and smiths, though as Wrusk can attest, there are a few Broadbeards that survived a long life of adventure, some even still alive. I don't know the Vul especially well, but I know them well enough that you don't need to convince me the world would be better off without them. The point I am uncertain about is the probability of success, or even survival for those who attempt to oppose them. Either way, I need to see to Ivar's things, and his burial. Did you say he is here in this building?"

p3sent
08-13-2014, 02:10 PM
He crosses arms and ponders for a bit, trying to keep an eye on the crowd to see what happens with his two favorite thugs. Not any less how Kairos is dealing with this situation.

“I can guess the Who, but I don’t know the Why. I heard them mention Crusher.” He says.

Indeed he has way too many guesses for the why, so many that they are hardly worth mentioning as he can’t pick out the most likely ones. Maybe his imagination is just too creative, and it’s simpler than he thinks, but he doesn’t like maybes at all, especially not so many of them.

“Tell me, how do the usual kidnapping cases go? You do know, since being his daughter…”

[Sense Motive, Aria: 25]

Narayan
08-13-2014, 03:14 PM
Kromedon BroadbeardKromedon chuckles a little when Zhānrén calls him clever. "The Broadbeards are mostly craftsmen and smiths, though as Wrusk can attest, there are a few Broadbeards that survived a long life of adventure, some even still alive. I don't know the Vul especially well, but I know them well enough that you don't need to convince me the world would be better off without them. The point I am uncertain about is the probability of success, or even survival for those who attempt to oppose them. Either way, I need to see to Ivar's things, and his burial. Did you say he is here in this building?"

Purusartha: {Nods Sympathetically} "By all means take some time to pay your respects to your cousin." -Looks to Wrusk- "Is there a place they can be alone?"

Wrusk: {Grunts} "Please wait here Kromedon. I will move the body to a more suitable resting place." -Looks to Samad- "Old friend, could you assist me?"

Samad: {Stands} "Of course."

Wrusk and Samad leave the living room.

Purusartha: -Explains to Kromedon- "We had to hide the body out in one of the sheds they use for cleaning animal hides. A tannery makes for a good location to hide a corpse from the Vulkyrie. Even they can't distinguish a single scent among so many carcasses. Moving the body away from the tannery to a suitable burial site however will be somewhat dangerous..." -Looks to Zhānrén- "I suppose Samad could hep with that of course, being a smuggler?"

Zhānrén: "Quite right. Samad is one of the best in the business!"

Purusartha: "That would prove quite useful for the cause. I've heard using the sewers is an old smugglers trick, but I assumed there are wererats lurking in every tunnel?"

Zhānrén: "There are some yes but Samad has made a career learning to negotiate with them. He knows which ones can be reasoned with. So long as he is leading the way we weren't bothered much. It would be very inadvisable to attempt to sneak through the sewers without him however." {Chuckles}

Purusartha: "Ah, well, even so, I expect there are limits to what Samad can manage? For instance, how do you think the Wererats would react if Samad was acting as a guide for another lycanthrope? Say... a were-wolf, or a were-bull?" (Diplomacy Check: = 22)

Zhānrén: {Seems rather taken-aback by his question} "Why do you ask?" (Sense Motive, DC 22: = 10, Fail)

[Kromedon: Make a Sense Motive Check please, vs DC 22. In essence, you are rolling to sense what Purusartha's motive is for asking that question.]

Narayan
08-13-2014, 07:11 PM
He crosses arms and ponders for a bit, trying to keep an eye on the crowd to see what happens with his two favorite thugs. Not any less how Kairos is dealing with this situation.

“I can guess the Who, but I don’t know the Why. I heard them mention Crusher.” He says.

Indeed he has way too many guesses for the why, so many that they are hardly worth mentioning as he can’t pick out the most likely ones. Maybe his imagination is just too creative, and it’s simpler than he thinks, but he doesn’t like maybes at all, especially not so many of them.

“Tell me, how do the usual kidnapping cases go? You do know, since being his daughter…”

[Sense Motive, Aria: 25]

Ania: {Clenches her jaw ever so slightly when you mention Crusher} "My father will be pleased, it's very rare for us to actually speak with someone who escaped an attempted kidnapping. Crusher's goons rarely make mistakes." {She looks towards the crowd} "Those thugs are going to be in a world of hurt when my father learns who they work for. He's had a personal vendetta against Crusher for as long as I can remember. He'll make them talk have no doubt about that."

"However, that won't mean much for you in the immediate future. Crusher doesn't give up and he won't like being made to look like he failed. He'll come at you again and we can't keep you safe until we know why he's after you? Allow me to apologize in advance for my father... he's going to question you quite zealously, and not very nicely. I know you think of yourself as a victim right now, but in my fathers eyes, you're just another source for information he wants."

[Ersun: Your Sense Motive check indicates she is being frank with you. What do you do?]

Zemile
08-14-2014, 04:07 AM
Kromedon BroadbeardKromedon still hasn't gotten up, so waiting here isn't terribly hard. "If we need to, we could cremate him, but that usually draws more attention than a burial. If Samad knows a good way to get a body out of the city, that could be reasonable. With the number of people the Vulkyrie kill, there must be some way to get bodies out of the city, I assume that they are not looking for Ivar, and thus would not recognize any significance to his body? I wouldn't want to speculate on how were-rats would treat a were-wolf, but Samad might have some idea."

p3sent
08-14-2014, 07:35 AM
“Can’t keep me safe until you know the why?” He frowns. “You can’t believe that, that’s just a convenient excuse.”

He doesn’t expect much time to speak with Aria before her father comes back to him, but it feels like she could be a key to nudging his attitude.

“I could actually be of help, you know, instead of being an item. Do you have any magical means of tracking me, an item or spell? An example would be letting one or two of the thugs go as if you don’t know. Separately I could panic them to report back and send people after me again, good enough bait, no?”

He has to keep a smirk back at the thoughts of the further consequences of such a thing on him, but nevertheless, he is far too busy today to spend the day, or more, interrogated if he can help it. Speeding up the process would be nice, but if he simply blabbers out what he means to blabber quickly, then they would be suspicious of what exactly is he hurrying for. Plus it does look like they are in need of some more dynamic help.

Narayan
08-14-2014, 09:44 PM
Kromedon BroadbeardKromedon still hasn't gotten up, so waiting here isn't terribly hard. "If we need to, we could cremate him, but that usually draws more attention than a burial. If Samad knows a good way to get a body out of the city, that could be reasonable. With the number of people the Vulkyrie kill, there must be some way to get bodies out of the city, I assume that they are not looking for Ivar, and thus would not recognize any significance to his body? I wouldn't want to speculate on how were-rats would treat a were-wolf, but Samad might have some idea."

Purusartha: -addresses Kromedon first- "We weren't just attacked by your average Vulkyrie guard last night... A very powerful Vulkyrie mage and his pet VulDrake, (an abominable hybrid between a Dragon and a Vul) tried to exterminate us and very nearly succeeded. The mage turned my friend Palenrian here..." {Nods towards Palenrian} "...into stone and the VulDrake killed two of our group-members outright."

"Ivar managed to escape along with the rest of us who weren't killed, save Palenrian, but it would be a mistake to underestimate that Vulkyrie mage or his pet. It's possible Ivar's scent, and likewise those of the rest of us, are known to the creature. The beast has all the terrible killing power of its draconic cousins. Demonstrated later last night when it breathed fire upon a crowd of local mercenaries, roasting them alive!"

"There's no reason to expect the VulDrake, or its master, to know your scent yet Kromedon, but I advise caution moving Ivar's corpse just now. After things calm down and commerce is restored you can move it with less risk while the streets are crowded. Are you intending to escort Ivar's body all the way back to the Torgrimm Dwarfholds yourself? Or will you simply send word for others to meet you somewhere near the city?"

-Turns to answer Zhānrén while he waits for you to consider that- "I ask about that because I myself am a Werewolf, along with a couple other members of our group. We also have a Werebull among us."

Zhānrén: {Eyes get large} "Oh?! It just so happens I am searching for a particular Werebull from Caishia. That's what brought me to Akhenaten in the first place actually."

Purusartha: {Raises a brow} "Small world! Our Werebull happens to be Caishian."

Zhānrén: {Stands suddenly from her chair} "Describe him for me. What's his name?!"

Purusartha: {Exchange a look with Palenrian as if to say 'uh oh'} "Err... I'm not sure he'd want me talking about him... can you explain why you're asking?"

Zhānrén: {Looks to Purusartha almost pleadingly} "I'm searching for my father!"

[Kromedon: What do you do?]

Hillsy
08-15-2014, 10:44 AM
"After witnessing the slaughter, my grandfather returned to Andar claiming his fellow townsfolk died like hero's because the truth was too awful to believe. That was a long, long time ago but it's clear to me now those others Thorol killed were agents of what we call the Black Network. Thorol didn't tell me that story until he was lying on his death bed... At the time I didn't want to believe it, but over time I started to realize I've always suspected my hometown of Andar is complicit with the Black Network. It's the only explanation for why it remains when several other towns near to Skull Mountain have fallen."

"Torgrimm was a fool allowing his pride to obscure the truth but I've come to realize I'm no different. I've lived my life in a state of apathy, willing to whisper and complain but never once doing anything about my suspicions. I'm a coward! I should be ashamed to carry my grandfathers surname." He mutters hanging his head low for a moment.
Burrai sits through the young Dwarf's tale, sipping quietly at his cider and mentally sprinkling the new information around what he already knew of the retaking of Kurukshetra. Back home, his library held eight differing accounts of the battle from varying sources of varying reliability. There was certainly the interpretation didn't butt hard against anything that was beyond doubt. Treachery, greed, consorting with daemons - History was littered with such things, so why not one old dwarfs account?

The more worrying facts were the Dark Network apparently taking control of an entire village, or enough for the purposes of control. And Burrai would sell his axe if there were not several more in their employ. Throw amongst that the black veins of treachery running through the stone of his old Dwarven home, and the Network may have enough connections to move half the mountain range if they were pulled hard enough. They had time to set their roots deep.

And in the Vul, there was a force more than capable of pulling the Network hard.

Gilbur expects me waiting for him at The Blessed Barrel for lunch right now but I slipped out the back, bought this cloak off the back of a random stranger and made my way here as quickly as I could. Can you help me?!" He asks, looking between you both pleadingly.


It takes a moment for the question to register in Burrai's mind. He had been sitting, letting the flow of information filter through his knowledge of the past. Rol's words however catch in the netting abruptly.

"Look kid, I'm not in the..." He starts, then pauses caught by the narrowing of Elloral's eyes. He ought to just turn the kid on his ear, but she would likely find some way to stuff him under his cloak anyway. He sighs, drains the rest of his cider and scowls.

"OK. We might be able to get you some help. We're due to meet a man with more than a few contacts here in Cabarda. If the Network have any sway with their new Vulkyrie partners, we might need his help to get you out of town. At the very least hole you up somewhere. Though be prepared to pay with every scrap of information you know. So sit tight, stay quiet, and we might be able to do something for you."

He shares a long look with Elloral. It probably wasn't enough. "If we can get you out of here, then I have a small holding some distance from here. It's not much but there are vegetables planted already for food, and a full library. Assuming our mutual 'friends' haven't burnt it down. You're welcome to hole up there for a time, and I could do with the place being watched."

They might still be watching it, but Burrai had a feeling that pretty soon the Black Network would be quite keen on finding one Burrai Steelborn, and that he would clearing be a lot closer to them than a small shack in the countryside. Close enough to ram a knife in their ribs.

Narayan
08-20-2014, 12:35 AM
“Can’t keep me safe until you know the why?” He frowns. “You can’t believe that, that’s just a convenient excuse.”

He doesn’t expect much time to speak with Aria before her father comes back to him, but it feels like she could be a key to nudging his attitude.

“I could actually be of help, you know, instead of being an item. Do you have any magical means of tracking me, an item or spell? An example would be letting one or two of the thugs go as if you don’t know. Separately I could panic them to report back and send people after me again, good enough bait, no?”

He has to keep a smirk back at the thoughts of the further consequences of such a thing on him, but nevertheless, he is far too busy today to spend the day, or more, interrogated if he can help it. Speeding up the process would be nice, but if he simply blabbers out what he means to blabber quickly, then they would be suspicious of what exactly is he hurrying for. Plus it does look like they are in need of some more dynamic help.

Ania: -Replies to Ersun-​ "Don't misunderstand. I'm not trying to say you aren't worth protecting, it's just hard to know how to protect you when we don't know why Crusher's after you? Crusher has people everywhere. Informants, spies, assassins, ...secret allies! If we know what he wants from you, we have motive. Once we have motive, we can also anticipate other threats to you, and uncover accomplices. Kidnappings are usually carefully planned, which requires observation of the target to learn their patterns and routines."

"Crusher has become the most dangerous underworld boss in the tribes history! Many say he's lived in this cavern even before the tribe made its home here... I assure you it's no easy thing to lure him into a trap! I'm sure my father will be pleased to hear you wish to help, but I personally think using yourself as bait is too risky." {She looks you over up and down} "However, you obviously have talent as a caster, and you're brave... I believe we could use you."

{Glances over at the crowd} "Those thugs haven't noticed you yet. If we let them think you just ran off and followed them we might learn a few things. We should still arrest them later of course, but we might learn a lot before we interrogate them, which will still benefit the inevitable interrogation... What do you think? Are you up for that?"

Zemile
08-20-2014, 01:22 AM
Kromedon BroadbeardKromedon did not answer right away, and may or may not have been about to say something when the conversation takes a turn for the were-d. "Your father is a were-bull? Never in my wildest dreams could I have expected such a thing. As for Ivar, I am content to let the matter rest for a few days, though dead bodies usually do not abide much longer delays. When the dust settles, I will see to his burial, sending word of his death home is all that is required, there is no need to carry him there. Any mage that can turn people to stone is not to be taken lightly, much less one with a half-dragon for a pet. Especially since both can fly without active magical aid."

Narayan
08-20-2014, 04:36 PM
"Look kid, I'm not in the..." He starts, then pauses caught by the narrowing of Elloral's eyes. He ought to just turn the kid on his ear, but she would likely find some way to stuff him under his cloak anyway. He sighs, drains the rest of his cider and scowls.

"OK. We might be able to get you some help. We're due to meet a man with more than a few contacts here in Cabarda. If the Network have any sway with their new Vulkyrie partners, we might need his help to get you out of town. At the very least hole you up somewhere. Though be prepared to pay with every scrap of information you know. So sit tight, stay quiet, and we might be able to do something for you."

He shares a long look with Elloral. It probably wasn't enough. "If we can get you out of here, then I have a small holding some distance from here. It's not much but there are vegetables planted already for food, and a full library. Assuming our mutual 'friends' haven't burnt it down. You're welcome to hole up there for a time, and I could do with the place being watched."

Rol: {Looks disappointed and distraught} -Speaks to Burrai- "Who are you calling a kid?! I may not be a warrior, but we don't appear that different in age. I'd appreciate a little more respect!" {Huffs} "So your plan is just to hole me up in some somewhere out in the hills, a place you intimate they already know of! And what is this you say about the network having Vulkyrie Partners?!"

Elloral: {Cringes} -Interjects- "Err... let me explain..."

Rol: -Interrupts Eloral- "Please do! Meaning no disrespect priestess... but I've gambled everything on this meeting. If we are to help each other, the least you could do is explain your situation to me! I'd also like to know who this contact of yours is in Cabarda? I have a right to know if I'll be relying on him to keep me safe!"

[Burrai: What do you do?]

Narayan
08-21-2014, 01:16 AM
Purusartha: {Exchanges another look with Palenrian} -speaks to Zhānrén- "His name is Xiaolong, he's in his sixties, a former monk..."

Zhānrén: {Appears to weaken and sits again} "Where is he?"

Purusartha: "He's downstairs in Wrusk's hidden cellar. We are using it as a safehouse. The others are down there as well, resting. We're all quite exhausted after such a long day of battles."

Just then, Wrusk and Samad return into the living room. Samad senses right away that Zhānrén is upset by her expression and body language.

Samad: "Zhānrén, what's wrong?!"

Zhānrén: {Smiles} "It appears my search is over. Purusartha tells me my father is downstairs!"

Samad: "Oh?! That's amazing!" {Turns to Wrusk}"Is there an elderly werebull downstairs who also hails from Caishia?"

Wrusk: "Err... why yes there is! However I don't know him well, he arrived with the others a little while ago." {Looks at Zhānrén with curiosity} "If your father is a werebull does that mean that you are one also?"

Samad: {Punches Wrusk in the arm} "Hey! That's rude!"

Zhānrén: {Shakes her head} "It's ok. Lycanthropy is not always passed on if the parent wasn't born that way."

Purusartha: -Addresses Kromedon- "I am glad you are tolerant of were's. I did not choose to become a werewolf. Few do. It is a curse... one which taxes a great burden on our souls... but the added strength does prove useful whenever we face the Vulkyrie!"

Samad: {Looks baffled and stares at Purusartha} "You are a werewolf?!"

Wrusk: {clears his throat} -Speaks to Kromedon- "When you're ready, we have moved Ivars body for your viewing."

[Kromedon: What do you do?]

Zemile
08-21-2014, 06:42 AM
Kromedon BroadbeardKromedon mostly just listens, apparently the were-circus is in town and he's got a front row seat, with complimentary drinks. "I can't imagine why one might be were-intolerant. I have no interest in being bitten, but as long as you don't try to bite me, I'm sure we'll get along fine. We keep coming back around to fighting Vulkyrie. I understand the why, they've been pretty horrible in the one day I've been here, but you keep skipping over how. From the sound of things, you guys got your collective asses handed to you. Did you accomplish anything along the way at least?"

Narayan
08-23-2014, 12:34 AM
Palenrian: "They rescued me from the bowels of the Vulkyrie dungeon. That's an accomplishment as far as I'm concerned!"

Purusartha: "We have the Vulkyrie fearing who we are, where we are, and where we'll strike next. We've proven we can kill them, that's a start." -Looks carefully at Kromedon and Zhānrén- "Before you arrived, Palenrian, myself and Wrusk were discussing our group. How to organize it, how to structure it, etc. It's important that we develop a group identity. I'd be interested in hearing your opinions on that, but Palenrian and I are long overdue for rest."

"I propose that we sit down again this afternoon and have lunch? In the meantime Wrusk can see to it that you are comfortable here while you wait. Take what time you need to pay respects to your cousin Kromedon. Zhānrén, the truth is your father is too exhausted to see you just now, but I give you my word that you'll have your chance to meet him. Is that agreeable?" He asks.

[Kromedon: What do you do?]

Zemile
08-23-2014, 02:42 AM
Kromedon Broadbeard
Kromedon finishes his glass and waves off a refill for the first time since he sat down. "Very well, you have clearly had a very long day. Mine wasn't nearly as bad, but I could do with a bit of rest as well." he turns to Wrusk. "I would like to see my cousin now. I imagine it will be brief, but this does seem to be the moment for it. Afterward, I will gladly take you up on his offer of accommodations."

Narayan
08-25-2014, 02:30 AM
Purusartha and Palenrian leave the room whileZhānrén and Samad get comfortable before the hearth.

Wrusk: -Speaks to Kromedon- "Follow me..."

You follow Wrusk through his home to his personal workshop, beside his office, with a doorway to the tannery out back. Masterwork leather-working tools and jars of ointments and dyes are neatly arranged beside stacks of nearly finished furs and hides that await Wrusks expert final touch. In the center of the workshop is a long, heavy wooden table where Ivar's body has been laid out. His weapons and belongs are piled neatly on the floor beside the table. Ivars eyes have been shut, but the expression on his face is rigid with pain and terror. There is also a foul smell lingering about his body, since it has not been properly washed and has been stored in a shack for curing hides overnight.

Wrusk: "Normally by now, my workers would be here working the tannery. Yet since the alarm's been raised, any business today will be cancelled. However, If work resumes tomorrow we will have to store Ivar's body elsewhere. It would not be wise for my workers to see anything that hints at foul play here at the tannery for obvious reasons. ...Well, take what time you need. I will be waiting in my office..." Wrusks says shutting his office door behind him leaving you and your cousin in privacy.

Wrusk left the door ajar to the tannery out back. There, beside the vats of foul-smelling curing fat, are barrels of clean water and lots of strong soap, gloves, rope, aprons, sharp knives and other tools and supplies used by the workers. You get the impression Wrusk would not mind if you helped yourself to anything you needed.

[Kromedon: What do you do?]

p3sent
08-25-2014, 06:43 AM
“If we let both go then there’s a chance of losing them both. Why not detain one of them with a made-up cause while letting the other go?” He rubs his beard as he thinks for a moment. “As for following I’m not much of a sneaker myself and if they notice me they’d be alerted. Its better I disappear I think, although I would love to hear what they have to say under interrogation myself.”

He sighs as he tries to collect every little piece in his mind and not get clogged down with a single one. As he speaks he shuffles through his things to dig out two parchments, his pen and some ink.

“Why don’t you quickly consult with your father about the thugs? I will debrief you about what else I know afterwards, but we are quite short on time here... And if your father decides to interrogate me first instead I’m wary we might lose a lot of it, and alert even more players off.” And after a moment he adds ponderingly. “I would prefer to work some of this out with you, but I suspect we’d somewhat lack authority?”

Hillsy
08-25-2014, 05:09 PM
"Please do! Meaning no disrespect priestess... but I've gambled everything on this meeting. If we are to help each other, the least you could do is explain your situation to me! I'd also like to know who this contact of yours is in Cabarda? I have a right to know if I'll be relying on him to keep me safe!"


Burrai closes his eyes,takes a deep breath. ~Damn fool. Can't just shut up and follow orders~. It wasn't a trait bestowed solely on merchants; Burrai had worked with a lot of men who had died because others couldn't just let go of the reins when they didn't know better. History too was replete with it.

"Look....Rol." He draws the name out, articulating his annoyance. "First, I'm not a Gods Damned moron. I'm not going to let you stay in my home if I think there's the slightest chance someone's going to get eviscerated inside it. They flushed me out of the place, meaning it may well be as good a hiding place as any. Especially if I'm running around causing trouble. And I won't know for sure until I've scouted it out. So, for now, that's my working plan."

"Second, you don't get my respect. You earn it. And if you want to make a start, stop acting like a skittish rodent caught between a cat and the farmer. I don't have the time, nor the trust in you, to waste on explaining myself, so if you want to learn something get a grip on your nerves and keep your ears open. You're a merchant, so you understand trade - and you just made a deal with me: your information, for me keeping your skin intact. If you want to know how good your end of the bargain is, go down the local mercenary company and ask about Burrai Steelborn."

Burrai lowers his voice and narrows his eyes. The lamps of the alehouse pour dark ink into his scars. "Lastly, some free advice on staying alive from one who knows pretty well how it's done." He counts the points off on scarred, calloused fingers. "One, learn who knows a subject better than you and listen to them. Two, exercise patience when you're not in immediate danger, and trust instinct when you are. And Three - " Burrai's voice drops to a low hiss " - keep your Gods Damned voice down! Especially, when the words out of your fool lips are about the Vulkyrie and the Network. Or so help me I'll throw you so hard out this door they'll arrest you for flying. Understand?"

[Intimidate Check: 1d20+7 = 20]

Burrai leans back in his seat, palms face down on the table. "So if you've anything more to share you think relevant, I'll gladly hear it. If not, then wait and you'll learn plenty in the next hour....Oh don't look at me like that Elloral. If I'm going to keep him safe, I'm not bargaining with him. He does what I say, or he walks. At least until I trust him."

Burrai turns his scowl on the door the the Twelve Apple Alehouse, brushing away his annoyance and picking through Rol's facts. ~One thing at a time, Burrai. Deal with Jabbar, get a translator for the Journal. After that you can play hero for Rol if you can.~

Zemile
08-26-2014, 12:13 AM
Kromedon BroadbeardKromedon follows Wrusk out to the workshop, and does little more than glance at the dies and furs. "Thank you, I do not expect to be terribly long." he says as Wrusk departs.
Once alone, Kromedon begins to work his magic, literally. Prestidigitation to clean Ivar's body as much as possible, then Detect Magic to make sure nothing important gets left behind. If anyone were watching, they might think that Kromedon was not terribly close to his cousin, and they may be right. He was supposed to find out what happened to Ivar, and report back. He's found out, and the report is not especially urgent. Now its time to mop up the pieces, see to the burial and determine the viability of striking back at the Vulkyrie. Once he's done cleaning the body and searching its pockets for clues etc, and depending on what he finds, Kromedon will head back in.

Narayan
09-02-2014, 04:06 AM
“If we let both go then there’s a chance of losing them both. Why not detain one of them with a made-up cause while letting the other go?” He rubs his beard as he thinks for a moment. “As for following I’m not much of a sneaker myself and if they notice me they’d be alerted. Its better I disappear I think, although I would love to hear what they have to say under interrogation myself.”

He sighs as he tries to collect every little piece in his mind and not get clogged down with a single one. As he speaks he shuffles through his things to dig out two parchments, his pen and some ink.

“Why don’t you quickly consult with your father about the thugs? I will debrief you about what else I know afterwards, but we are quite short on time here... And if your father decides to interrogate me first instead I’m wary we might lose a lot of it, and alert even more players off.” And after a moment he adds ponderingly. “I would prefer to work some of this out with you, but I suspect we’d somewhat lack authority?”

Ania: {Smirks} "Don't try making suggestions to my father like an equal Esun, it'll only aggravate him. Let me do the talking. I might persuade him to consult with you, but only if he believes it was my idea to begin with." {Reaches into her robes to produce a potion vial} "Drink this, it'll make you invisible to all except Warmages."

After you drink the potion, she leads you back towards the wall of force encircled by armed guards of the warrior-caste. Kairos commands them with a voice like thunder, shouting orders they heed and respect more then the rest of the robed warmages.

As you watch, the wall of force is dismissed so the guards can move in. There is very little resistance to arrest. The two thugs are easily apprehended along with the rest. You move close enough to hear them complain knowing they cannot see you while you are invisible.

Ania: -explains- "They'll all be taken to the nearest garrison for further questioning. My father may interrogate a few personally, if he has a hunch they might know something. I've seen it before, but there are likely no clues to be had amongst this rabble anymore then the others. Moruk has an uncanny ability to appear and disappear at will. Where he goes we cannot say, save that he is somewhere we cannot see. Another dimensional space perhaps, or some other plane entirely.... are you educated with such knowledge Ersun?" She asks with a curious twitch from a lovely eyebrow.

p3sent
09-03-2014, 07:26 PM
Well this invisibility makes things easier for him, although he wonders how long it will last, and how much he can do before it breaks.

“Different dimension are beyond my expertise I’m afraid.” He tells her while considering the wordings of his parchments, and keeping his senses out to his surroundings, so much to do at once, think, listen, write.

“Do you think I could have two trustable runners? To let my brother know, that isn’t much to ask right?” He requests with a hopeful smile.

If he can get away with this much, one he’ll send to his brother, the other back to Lysen.

To Enkir:
Kidnapped but escaped. Best wishes.
And his current whereabouts, signed with Ersun.

To Lysen:
Not dead. Poisoned by your butler. Stay cool. Best wishes.
And his current whereabouts, signed with Ersun.

He folds the parchments neatly. The trick would be getting it past the old man if he will be still there.