PDA

View Full Version : Chatroom Adventure-a-Week

DMMike
06-19-2014, 05:11 PM
Hi P&PGers!

I'm going to run one-off adventures on the weekends in the P&PG chatroom, for anyone interested. I expect my ideal time to be around 10-12 noon Arizona time on Sundays, but that can change based on player availability.

The games will most likely be taken from the One Page Dungeon contest, so genres might vary a little, but the theme will generally be medieval fantasy. The adventures will also increase in difficulty, as long as the same people are playing each week. With mostly new people, we'll keep it at low level.

The game system is called Modos RPG, which doesn't require a lot of rolling or battle maps, so it's a good fit for the chatroom. The rules are so easy that you'll be able to learn them on the spot (especially if you've played D&D 3.5), but I'll make another post here for character creation. The first ruleset is available here (http://www.enworld.org/forum/rpgdownloads.php?do=download&downloadid=995), but those have been superseded by the under-construction rules here (http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?354960-Modos-Rulebook-1-2-the-real-time-editing-thread). The first set is easier to read, but the second set is easier to play. And the latter has more examples.

Questions, comments? I'm listening. Let's play!

DMMike
06-19-2014, 07:33 PM
How to make a character:

1) Write a concept. Who was your character, who is he now (as a professional), and what do you want him to become? Including goals and flaws helps. Think medieval fantasy. This is a good place for hero point ideas, which are somewhat like daily powers.
2) You get three abilities (physical, mental, and metaphysical) and three scores (8, 10, and 12). Arrange as desired. Add two points as desired.
3) Pick a skill. What's one thing your character does well, from training or experience? (See chapter 4 for details.) Important skill note: there are three defensive skills: defend-parry, defend-concentration, and defend-willpower. These protect your physical, mental, and metaphysical abilities, respectively.
4) Pick a perk. What's one cool thing about your character that isn't an ability or skill? (See chapter 5 for details.)
5) Grab some gear. Assign your character a weapon and/or armor. The relevant dice are:
Shields - 1-3 defend-parry bonus
None - d4 damage, 0 protection
Light - d6
Medium - d8
Heavy -d10

That's it. Pretty simple, huh? Of course, there are many more details in the rulebook, so read it over when you get a chance. Otherwise, if you're wondering about ambiguities (like what does Physical mean?), the good news is that you get to decide what they mean to your character. A high Physical score could mean strength, quickness, or both! You can earn more hero points by imposing your own flaws, like devoting your Physical to strength, and roleplaying your quickness like a three-toed sloth.