PDA

View Full Version : 5E in a Custom/HomeBrew World

Gunnar Greybeard
06-16-2014, 12:24 AM
Just curious how many others out there plan to use the new 5E but NOT in the proscribed campaign world?

I see its geared towards Forgotten Realms but am seriously considering using it with HarnWorld since that's my preferred world system but I know I'm going to have to do some serious modifying of the D20 Harn Guide documents I found to make it fit. I will also need to tweak it to be more low magic but that part shouldn't be a problem.

I anticipate seeing it used in Greyhawk as well.

Soft Serve
06-16-2014, 12:32 AM
I saw someone mention that R.A. Salvatore was writing some setting stuff for 5e. This person also mentioned a good aligned god designating a good aligned paladin to go commit absolute genocide on a race because they were "evil."

So, yes. I plan exclusively to use homebrew settings.

Thriondel Half-Elven
06-16-2014, 12:49 AM
I definitely plan to use my own setting. But is 5e really geared so hardcore to Forgotten Realms that it'd be a chore to use a homebrew setting? I've always like FR though.

Gunnar Greybeard
06-16-2014, 12:56 AM
Yeah, I get that feeling too but I figure if I stick more towards with "basic" game that should lessen the upfront conversion time needed to get things rolling. Of course I do not have the final rules so I'm only going on assumption for some things at the moment. :biggrin:

Skunkape
06-16-2014, 02:01 PM
If I were to use 5e, I would use my own game world, but I've gone back to Magic World/RuneQuest/BRP to run my games again as I prefer a skill based game over a level based game.

fmitchell
06-17-2014, 10:45 AM
But is 5e really geared so hardcore to Forgotten Realms that it'd be a chore to use a homebrew setting?

Pelor above, I hope not. No prior D&D version has required a specific setting, although 4e was edging in that direction with its pre-defined deities and backstory for Tieflings. Let's hope nobody has to pay for a game that they have to rewrite just to use their own setting. And if the free PDF were FR-specific, it's wouldn't be worth the electricity and bandwidth I'd use to download it nor the time used to read it.

Soft Serve
06-17-2014, 01:59 PM
Pelor above, I hope not. No prior D&D version has required a specific setting, although 4e was edging in that direction with its pre-defined deities and backstory for Tieflings. Let's hope nobody has to pay for a game that they have to rewrite just to use their own setting. And if the free PDF were FR-specific, it's wouldn't be worth the electricity and bandwidth I'd use to download it nor the time used to read it.

I'm glad I'm not the only one around that doesn't like Faerun.

I mean Eberron has pirates and robots and lizardfolk and just... it's just... I need to go play 3.5 real quick...