PDA

View Full Version : P&PG Contest Un-poll: online game!

DMMike
06-13-2014, 09:04 AM
If an admin wants to start a poll for this...cough cough...

Un-Poll: How often would you participate in a free weekly RPG hosted in P&PG's chatroom?

A) Every time! Sign me up!
B) Whenever my regular game cancels for the week.
C) If I'm online, I'll play.
D) Never, chatroom games are lames. (My precioussssss....)
E) None of the above. See my explanation in this thread.

Did I mention that there will be prizes?

Soft Serve
06-13-2014, 10:42 AM
Somewhere between C and A. I'd do it everytime that I could.

Morashitar
06-13-2014, 01:26 PM
I agree. I will help where I can. C would be my answer, but I won't compete all the time. Not into time pressures. ha ha

I will support the site to the end! :)

Soft Serve
06-14-2014, 09:37 PM
-scrubbed-

Nevermind. XD

Matt James
06-15-2014, 01:12 PM
Poll added. Have fun.

ak47
06-15-2014, 04:57 PM
i voted C but again like i said in my thread please don't post in other threads when not posting to join that particular group.

Malruhn
06-17-2014, 11:15 PM
Alas, I don't do online. I needs my precious face-to-face interaction so I can see people sweat. And like what was discussed in Chat - the possibilities of video/Skype abuse (nekkid people just looking to be noticed), video doesn't cut it either for me.

DMMike
06-18-2014, 11:49 AM
Nekkid people? That reminds me of some video-chat website that connects you with completely random people. Just weird.

This is why I like chat-online. There's no video, and it's a lot harder to side-talk if you have to type it out first. Plus, you can use quotes to clearly indicate if you're in-character or out-of-character. Is it as good as seeing those delicate PCs sweat? No. Is there something to be said for having zero risk of wishing another player had showered? Totally.

ak47
06-18-2014, 01:28 PM
Nekkid people? That reminds me of some video-chat website that connects you with completely random people. Just weird.

This is why I like chat-online. There's no video, and it's a lot harder to side-talk if you have to type it out first. Plus, you can use quotes to clearly indicate if you're in-character or out-of-character. Is it as good as seeing those delicate PCs sweat? No. Is there something to be said for having zero risk of wishing another player had showered? Totally.

the stereo type unshowered smelly gamer, i dislike and try to avoid it myself. i think maybe in past it had some basses but now i don't think so. for me retuning back to f2f at a game shop i have not ran into a unshowered smelly player. though i admit a gamer in a shop let a big loud smelly fart once that everyone ignored but he was showered shaved and unsmelly.

jpatterson
06-18-2014, 01:43 PM
For me, there are two issues with being in an ongoing weekly game.

The first is I have some mental issues that make the game *I* run in chat about all I can handle per week (even if I'm only a player in another), though it is coming to an end soon so this is only a temporary obstacle. I even had trouble being in a pbp while I was running my game, so for this part, I would put myself down for a qualified "definitely maybe, depending".

The second issue is I'd obviously have to like the game/system/genre/plot. I know people say system shouldn't matter, but to me that's a pie-in-the-sky ideal that really doesn't bear up. Some people NEED dice rolling (so no Amber or a lot of indie games), some people need deep narrative (so no dice-fests), some will be in the mood for dark or horror games (CoC, WFRP, WoD, etc) or Supers (HERO, BASH, M&M).

I guess a third aspect of this is timing, the problem that I think so many of us suffer from, that makes a lot of us not be able to have regular face to face games. Getting people, especially those with jobs and families or outside activities and clubs, together all synchronized on the same time for usually the same day, for a consistent routine of play, is probably the biggest killer of RPGs for non-kid (and some kid) adults, though some people seem to be able to somehow do online gaming easier than offline. I'm luckily able to be pretty flexible with days to participate though I'd prefer afternoon or evenings, my US central time.

Once I was able to address and resolve these, though I like game design first, GMing second and playing third, I'd probably play in an online game here; I have no particular need for live face to face interaction, as I've run a chat game here since 2011 and though it isn't perfect, it does just fine.

Soft Serve
06-18-2014, 02:02 PM

The first is I have some mental issues that make the game *I* run in chat about all I can handle per week (even if I'm only a player in another), though it is coming to an end soon so this is only a temporary obstacle. I even had trouble being in a pbp while I was running my game, so for this part, I would put myself down for a qualified "definitely maybe, depending".

The second issue is I'd obviously have to like the game/system/genre/plot. I know people say system shouldn't matter, but to me that's a pie-in-the-sky ideal that really doesn't bear up. Some people NEED dice rolling (so no Amber or a lot of indie games), some people need deep narrative (so no dice-fests), some will be in the mood for dark or horror games (CoC, WFRP, WoD, etc) or Supers (HERO, BASH, M&M).

I guess a third aspect of this is timing, the problem that I think so many of us suffer from, that makes a lot of us not be able to have regular face to face games. Getting people, especially those with jobs and families or outside activities and clubs, together all synchronized on the same time for usually the same day, for a consistent routine of play, is probably the biggest killer of RPGs for non-kid (and some kid) adults, though some people seem to be able to somehow do online gaming easier than offline. I'm luckily able to be pretty flexible with days to participate though I'd prefer afternoon or evenings, my US central time.

Once I was able to address and resolve these, though I like game design first, GMing second and playing third, I'd probably play in an online game here; I have no particular need for live face to face interaction, as I've run a chat game here since 2011 and though it isn't perfect, it does just fine.

We could designate different GMs for different games on different days of the week, or different weeks, or whatever.

Alternatively, something I wanted to do anyway, we could put together a few of our heads and make a game unique to P&PG for use in the chat here.

DMMike
06-18-2014, 04:29 PM

Stop, just stop. You had me at "hello."

Zellweger aside, the poll isn't about an ongoing game, specifically. While this part isn't explicit, I was thinking about a weekly drop-in. A dungeon-a-week. Online. It seems like a good way to get visitors, if some people find themselves without a weekend game, and knowing that they can just drop into P&PG and have fun.

DMMike
06-19-2014, 07:20 PM
Alternatively, something I wanted to do anyway, we could put together a few of our heads and make a game unique to P&PG for use in the chat here.

I tried that a year ago, got a couple bites, and then nothing. So I went ahead and made the system anyway. (It's relatively bare-bones, in case you'd like to add anything.)

It's not a P&PG-sponsored, prize-awarding game, but I've opened up a thread for my weekly game in Find or Advertise Games. Stop by the thread and make a character, and drop in if you have a chance!

Soft Serve
06-19-2014, 11:47 PM
I keep getting subscription alerts to this thread, despite no new posts, am I the only one?

nijineko
06-29-2014, 03:41 PM
for me it would depend on what the game was, and if i had time on the day and the time it was being conducted. oh, and if my internet access was actually functioning that day (hit or miss for me).

cplmac
07-02-2014, 09:30 AM
I keep getting subscription alerts to this thread, despite no new posts, am I the only one?

I believe that you get an alert each time somebody edits a post even if there was no new post actually made.

Soft Serve
07-02-2014, 02:35 PM
I believe that you get an alert each time somebody edits a post even if there was no new post actually made.

Oh, makes sense.