PDA

View Full Version : Attracting Attention?`

Soft Serve
06-08-2014, 09:50 PM
I'm not sure how many threads there have been so far about this particular topic in however many months. But here's another one. We can talk about what we think will help, what we'll be willing to do to get there, and cover as much ground as we'd like to. Except this time Matt, our new admin, will see what you say.

And so to kick things off, in my opinion, the answer is events. Art events, game events, "talk with developer" events. Then advertise those as many places as possible. Get more people to do more things here.

I suggested this way back and ended up flanking because life didn't agree with me, but a writing panel. As far as I know WotC doesn't do Steal this Hook anymore, which was one of the only reasons I ever went there.

Maybe we can get in touch with some more artists and have some showcases for them, events for them as well even. "Map of the week" or map contests and judges.

This kind of stuff doesn't even need tangible rewards. Recognition works. Post the winners names in the Home page and give them a unique title like mine or signature banner or something.

If everyone tells their friends and posts in their game stores about the events or runs the hook of the week and tells people where they got it, I think we could populate this place.

I'm no expert, but I believe this can work and it couldn't hurt to try.

DMMike
06-08-2014, 10:27 PM
Well it's weird, but I guess a certain level of features/services doesn't make a difference.

For example:
ENworld has its random-generator feature, which is very cool - but as far as I can tell, no one uses it.
P&PG has its awesome chat-game-room. I don't understand why it's not packed with raucous games every night.

So, short of loading up a PHP/flash MMORPG onto this site, I'd like to recommend a cool feature to add. But they don't seem to work.

Maybe -cough-cough- D&D 5 will garner some chatroom users, since I heard it's not map-grid dependent?

Soft Serve
06-08-2014, 11:01 PM
Nothing is map-grid dependent if you try hard enough and believe in yourself.

Farcaster
06-08-2014, 11:11 PM
I'd tend to disagree. D&D 4e was heavily tactical map dependent. While you could get away with not using it for simple stuff, positioning was a critical component in the combat rules -- and it only became more so as you progressed in tiers.

Soft Serve
06-08-2014, 11:36 PM
I'd tend to disagree. D&D 4e was heavily tactical map dependent. While you could get away with not using it for simple stuff, positioning was a critical component in the combat rules -- and it only became more so as you progressed in tiers.

I was partly joking partly speaking in reference to 3.5. Which does apparently work better with grids, but I never used them. Didn't play much 4e.

Anyway, if there was a way to put a virtual tabletop here, even a minimalist one, it'd be an immense boost to the potential of the chat. But like DMMike alluded to, the problem isn't a lack of features.

Matt James
06-09-2014, 08:52 AM
This is a good thread. What I would like everyone to think about is tasks that are common and mundane at a gaming table. Even if people are not using PnPG to actually facilitate their games, what can we add here that would cause them to keep the site up while playing?

Things like:
* RNGs (random number generators; i.e. dice rollers).
* Random encounter generators
* Encounter/Monster images

Etc...

Integrating technology into our community here has many avenues. Remember, don't look at the widget itself, rather all angles of it.

More to follow as times permits...

Soft Serve
06-09-2014, 04:11 PM
Name Generators for Characters, Kingdoms, Lands.
A Roll Dice button rather than a chat prompt.
A Hit Point / Statistic meter that GMs or Players could see next to someones name or something and add / subtract from as the game goes on.
Maybe a roll to hit calculator. Something like {/roll 1d20+2 v 18} if the roll lands above 18 the chat says "Hit" or "Miss" if it doesn't.
Make the card drawing function a little fancier, so people could have hands and other players could see the amount of cards in their hand next to their name.

Some suggestions off the top of my head.

jpatterson
06-09-2014, 04:37 PM
i have a site with a lot of generators i've made aand might have some useful input in that direction. a simple user-only notepad on chat page would he helpfil in minimalist tracking hp's for chat games. events seems a good idea though i'm new to how to approach such things

Soft Serve
06-09-2014, 05:52 PM
i have a site with a lot of generators i've made aand might have some useful input in that direction. a simple user-only notepad on chat page would he helpfil in minimalist tracking hp's for chat games. events seems a good idea though i'm new to how to approach such things

Thank you. The current site "most active persons at one time" record was set because of the event we held to break the record. And people were more than happy to show up despite only a raffle and a tag in their names (the 300+7).

So it's worked once before to drag people in here. We can expand upon that idea easily I think.

DMMike
06-09-2014, 06:03 PM
what can we add here that would cause them to keep the site up while playing?

What about before and after playing, as well?

Before: player scheme chat, DM info dissemination, Obsidian Portal style campaign wikis
After: character journals, character development plans or level-up optimization...

During: searchable database, with each entry being rateable by users. You'll need a few templates for this, and keywords. The templates might have these broad categories: dungeon rooms, wilderness rooms, chest contents, peasants, nobles, travellers, and monsters. Then each broad category can be sorted/selected by special category, e.g.

Dungeon Room
Choose: Trap room, treasure room, haunted room, thoroughfare

Just thinking with the keyboard...

Soft Serve
06-09-2014, 08:01 PM
What about before and after playing, as well?

Before: player scheme chat, DM info dissemination, Obsidian Portal style campaign wikis
After: character journals, character development plans or level-up optimization...

During: searchable database, with each entry being rateable by users. You'll need a few templates for this, and keywords. The templates might have these broad categories: dungeon rooms, wilderness rooms, chest contents, peasants, nobles, travellers, and monsters. Then each broad category can be sorted/selected by special category, e.g.

Dungeon Room
Choose: Trap room, treasure room, haunted room, thoroughfare

Just thinking with the keyboard...

I approve this message.

Matt James
06-10-2014, 07:19 AM
All great suggestions.

Morashitar
06-10-2014, 02:49 PM
If you could Matt make a program where you have beautiful ladies acting like hostesses smiling at us when we sign on. Afterwords, ensure that they help guide us to the right game to play online here, which GMs will be waiting to entertain. :)

Later when time allows for such large programming endeavors have some competitions - writing competitions - such as create a one sheet adventure campaign and have the chance to get it published - or get a 100 dollars credit at this site.

Maybe have t-shirts, mugs, and other things available to buy for us supporters. Yes I will wear a penandpaper shirt :)

If you look at infrno.com you can see their setup for games - I like how they show the book covers of tabletop books and get it setup for a GM to host a game - maybe like obsidian portal - *just make it even better* . Am I asking for too much? Probably am! hah hah

Let us see what else....

Oh yes have a way to where I can send an email blast to 20,000 members to get roleplayers to enjoy my game. Now I know what you will be thinking - that this would be considered "spamming" ...oh my gosh the people go crazy when one spams and get really angry...so as a solution have the member's spamming functions turned off or on which means they won't ever get spammed if they don't want it. For those that don't mind (such as I) can turn off the spam filter allowing people to email them if desired. This is just an idea...and primarily something I wish I could do for my little tiny free game site I own, but I believe if you have this function for us you will have a lot more creative people join because they know for certain they will get players for their game creations in no time guiding them to their sites to host their games. You will get repeat members coming in.

Have special guests visit the site to answer questions - like every 5 months get a famous writer or game designer to spend time here in the chat room or in the forums. It might be impossible, but it will boost a lot of people in here for sure. I would love to chat with R.A. Salvatore and thank him for some great stories he wrote.

Have statistics available - For example: What is your favorite genre or game world - and we can see what the statistics are. Why do this? It will give you ideas what the current membership is interested in to adjust to their needs.

anyway - I have a lot more ideas - but I am sure you are way way ahead already in creating some good things on this site.

Good luck with all that programming you will being doing. I sure wish I had that talent. ")

Matt James
06-10-2014, 06:00 PM
Love all of it. We will definitely have some contests.

Sneaksta
06-10-2014, 07:26 PM
Jim Butcher would also be a great candidate. His Harry Dresden series, and his own Fate system Dresden Files RPG ( Evil Hat) He is down with the little people. Also he regularly plays RPG's as well. We may be able to con him into GMing a game lol

DMMike
06-10-2014, 08:55 PM
Love all of it. We will definitely have some contests.

Contests! How could I forget...

...well, actually I did forget. When I was a kid, I won a Dragon Die by surviving in an online chat game. I think it was sponsored by TSR (no, not WotC) because my official prize was a collector's item. The part I forget was where it happened. I'm pretty sure that it was Merica Online.

Anyway, weekly chatroom dungeons for some sort of prize, even if they're only accessible on this site, would be pretty cool.

And I happen to be writing an RPG that would work well in a chatroom...

DMMike
07-09-2014, 11:09 AM
An...afterthought?

What's the Mission of P&PG? How does it differ from the missions of other gaming forum/websites?

"Virtual tabletop" is pretty well cornered by Roll20.
"D&D forum" is pretty well cornered by ENworld (or every other RPG site?)

"(insert P&PG niche here)" is pretty well cornered by P&PG.

Matt James
07-10-2014, 06:55 AM
Our niche is obviously TRPGs, but we should find something and become really, really good at it. Good discussion thus far. Let's keep brainstorming.

nijineko
07-11-2014, 12:11 AM
i did have some programmers working on converting Gametable into a format usable through a site - but they petered out. i haven't managed to track down new programmers.

i would like this site to become THE best support for PBP, PBC, & online TRPG players. as i have previously mentioned, i have been working on some ideas in that direction for some time - but i would also need programmers to make it work.

Matt James
07-11-2014, 09:26 AM
Sounds good. We'll take all the ideas and sort what we can start to knock out.

Morashitar
07-11-2014, 10:28 AM
I ...I....have an idea....nah forget about it. lol

Soft Serve
07-14-2014, 05:05 PM
I ...I....have an idea....nah forget about it. lol

MAYBE WE SHOULD HAVE A CON! :p

/snark

It has been working Mora, the chatroom record is now like 27 right? Or 25? And there's usually more people in there than there used to be. I still feel like the forums don't get as much attention as they used to / should. But we're stepping in the right direction.

So contests and monthly cons are ok. Player meetup functions are at the core of the site. There's a lot of directions still to explore I think. We could boast support for PBP games, we could become an artists corner, allowing fantasy artists to showcase their works for writers looking for illustrators. We could be a hosting site for indie games meaning all the people who write their own stuff will be linking people here to download their PDFs and supplements. Any of these aspects could become a focus really. I'm sure there's more options as well, but these are off the top of my head.

Kendre
08-21-2014, 09:28 AM
Sneaksta... Your sig is my mantra. The rope is SO under-appreciated. Also got me kicked out of a group once, due to my ropey shenanigans... Hrm.

ANYWAY, a map generator would be cool. Not for like, dungeons, but rather for things such as continents. Large-scale mapping with the options for things such as...
o- Number of cities
o- Major terrain features (mountainous regions, tropical regions, etc)
o- Terrain features to exclude
o- Land-to-water ratio
o- Random "authenticity" boredom doodles on map
o- Other such useful parameters

Sneaksta
08-21-2014, 10:46 AM
Thanks, Kendre. One game ages ago, My little 2nd level thief took out a 5th lavel gith-yankee Knight with a lasso :x Good times. I was 12 i think hahahaha. Damn, 23 years ago. !!!

Any way, there are map programs out there that do those things, to a point. Random world map generators where you input land/water ratios etc. Then add cities as you go. Been a LOONG time since i checked, however.

DMMike
08-21-2014, 01:51 PM
ANYWAY, a map generator would be cool. Not for like, dungeons, but rather for things such as continents. Large-scale mapping with the options for things such as...
o- Number of cities
o- Major terrain features (mountainous regions, tropical regions, etc)
o- Terrain features to exclude
o- Land-to-water ratio
o- Random "authenticity" boredom doodles on map
o- Other such useful parameters

http://donjon.bin.sh/

I don't know how old the site is. But it does everything. Maybe P&PG should host the site for its owner?

DMMike
02-14-2015, 09:21 AM
Still waiting on the contests!

What I would like everyone to think about is tasks that are common and mundane at a gaming table.

I just thought of a meta-gaming-table point, really out of the blue:

The gamer-finder feature here is outstanding!

Granted, I've only used a handful of sites, but the Find or Advertise forum here is set up really well. Couple that with a great chatroom, and there should be live games going on here EVERY NIGHT. Since I don't see that happening, something is under-utilized. What would be cool, and possibly pricey, is to get the PnP News Bot to drudge up PLAYERS and GAMES, as well as news.

I'm telling you, Matt. This is your angle.

PS: Emphasis should be placed on quickness-of-play. Roll20 requires a decent amount of setup, but the chatroom here is just click-and-play. All a GM needs is quick typing fingers.