PDA

View Full Version : Calling an Animal Companion

Malruhn
06-07-2014, 10:15 AM
Okay, I go overboard for roleplaying, I'll admit this right up front and get it out of the way.

My question here is simple. For those classes that can have an animal companion, how, exactly do they get it?

I'm not one to rely on, "Okay, it's Monday and I just hit 4th level Ranger (Pathfinder), and now get an animal companion. My wolf's name is Phydeaux and we're ready to go on today's adventure."

Would/could there be a summoning ritual (possibly with a Druid leading the ceremony)?? Is it just that the PC is friendly with the neighborhood (insert creature type here) clan/pack/school/pod/whatever, and one of the critters decides to follow the PC?

Personally, I'm kind of interested in the former possibility, but then we get into possible costs (yes, I know the RAW doesn't mention cost), and special materials, and locations... the list could go on and on.

Please keep in mind that I am a player in this campaign - presently at level 3.8 and SHOULD be hitting 4th level tonight... which means that my trusty Ranger will be able to have an animal companion tomorrow. I just wanna have it... special. I want it to be "mo' bettah" than how feats and skills are earned.

Any ideas or suggestions? I want some ammo to present my DM for the possibilities.

THANKS!!

DMMike
06-07-2014, 05:46 PM
DMs have a reasonable expectation to limit PC powers. This is in the name of fairness to the other players.

DMs do not, however, have a reasonable expectation to limit self-imposed hindrances. If you're willing to give the other players an advantage over you, who would complain?

So go ahead and have a ritual for your companion summoning. The DM might even appreciate you dropping a quest in his lap, to earn the beast. Or he might appreciate you using a story tie-in to explain your companion, ala the neighborhood critter. Remember: it has to look like a chore instead of a bonus.

Malruhn
06-08-2014, 12:52 AM
I asked him tonight - and he said, "Well, once you hit 4th level, you tell me what animal you want and the next morning, it shows up!"

This is my sad face... :( :(:confused::(:(

We finished 3/4 of the dungeon tonight and think the BBEG is behind the last door... which is sealed. We're going to go do something else until we level up and THEN go back to kill what will probably be shadows or worse... which may be a TPK.

I think I'm going to suggest a "quest" for my new friend. I still don't know what to choose. I'm torn between a wolf and a horse... and he's said that dinosaurs are totally out of the question, so my choices are limited. My character is a former urban ranger (Pathfinder) who suddenly discovered a love for the wild. I've been tutored in "real" ranger-stuff by a ranger genetic werewolf (can turn at will, is good aligned), and I'm REALLY leaning toward wolf, but I'm still torn. (no, I can't choose the werewolf as a companion - he's an NPC friend that will be leaving pretty soon)

I'm thinking that if I go above and beyond for a companion, it should be special... but I am at a loss for how.

Thanks for the suggestion, DMMike.

DMMike
06-08-2014, 09:21 PM
I hope the discussion at the last door was more interesting than, "hey, we should wait 'til we level up!" You just inspired me to keep track of XP for the players!

On the topic of metagaming:
If your ranger can hold his own in a fight, go with horse.
If your ranger is more wu-wu, go with wolf.

Malruhn
06-09-2014, 12:10 AM
We are facing shadows... and they nearly wiped out the party. Yeah, we metagamed and said, "Let's wait 'til we level up"!! It's about the only time we've done that with this campaign... cuz we know we're weak.

What about mountain lion/big cat?

My ranger has a 10 strength... I'm about as "wu-wu" as you can get.